Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

hi there... i'm really new in photography... actually.... i just got hooked because since i love going out of town and madami akong nasasayang na mga scenery dahil d ko napipicturan tapos i also have a point and shoot cam before... mejo marami rin naman akong nabubuo na idea kung ano ang magandang scene na picturan... im also planning to join sa camera club ng village namin.. aun.. im planning to buy a dslr cam... mejo tight budget din kaya i was like hoping that you could help me decide on a better cam to get.... im planning to get a nikon d60 w/ 18-55mm vr lens and purchase another lens w/c is 55-200mm vr or a nikon d80 kit w/ 18-135mm lens... budget ko kasi is 35k-40k lang .. later on na ako bibili ng flash kasi mejo costly... help naman po...dont worry...if may mga pix na ako na pwde ipakikta sa inyo... ill post them here so that mabgyan nyo ako ng contructive criticism.. pls help

Get a D80 and an SB600 that should be more than enough for you to start your hobby ;)

bumili ako ng P&S Camera 3 years ago, retired na sya ngayon, nalaspag na. :) Im planning to buy Canon 450D. Im still open for other options. Budget ko po ay 40k. Nabasa ko sa DPP website na sa Hidalgo daw 37k with lens na. Meron pa bang mas magandang dSLR na below 40k? Yung Nikon D80 ba? salamat sa mga magaadvice :)

bumili ako ng P&S Camera 3 years ago, retired na sya ngayon, nalaspag na. :) Im planning to buy Canon 450D. Im still open for other options. Budget ko po ay 40k. Nabasa ko sa DPP website na sa Hidalgo daw 37k with lens na. Meron pa bang mas magandang dSLR na below 40k? Yung Nikon D80 ba? salamat sa mga magaadvice :)

Bodies come and go... you can pretty much get whatever you want but it will all go down to your lens. My suggestion is for you to pick whatever system that is readily available to you.

D80 for me has the best walk-around lens compared to its Canon counterpart. That's probably more than enough to get you going...

Since we're talking about after sales support... :hypocritesmiley:

http://www.mymetrophoto.com/2008/07/do-you...or-service.html

OK I think it's time for a complete blog post about how awful the service is of Canon Marketing Philippines (Inc.) I recently wrote in our sticky post about how long it has been since they took my lens for repair, how many times they have screwed-up by the laziness, rudeness, and pure stupidity.

The story is long... it's very long actually that's why I never wanted to write about it. But when yesterday I went there to get my lens after they said that it's fixed already, they said that it's not and they said that on record they talked to me on July 2 saying that it is not repaired yet. WHAT THE HELL?!! I just called them last Monday (that was July 14) and they said that the lens is fixed and it's ready for pickup. I even asked the famous Lyn to make sure and ask the technicians first because they already had me go there TWICE only to find out that the unit is not yet fixed. She said "pls hold lang, sir" then after about 30 seconds, "sir sure napo, na confirm ko napo sa technician, gawa napo talaga yung lens". Really? then why in the freaking hell was it not there yesterday? Did you really ask the technician or you just put me on hold for 30 seconds while you removed booger from your nostrils?

Of the so many screw-ups that has happened with this case (among a few others), I could have already forgotten some details. Good thing that I tried to tell the story in one of the forums before when they asked for feedback on how canon can serve you better. How about how can canon serve me less worse?!. Here was what I wrote:

nice timing on this... we were actually looking for ways on how to get to management (even thinking of sending an email to Mon, your president, who we met in a recent wedding).

i endorsed my lens last feb 13 i think for repair and didn't get any word for 2 weeks, only after i called did they tell me that the diagnosis will require for a pruchase or a focusing assembly that will cost 7,500 Php. I approved the repair. i called before holy week (Monday) and they said that the assembly just arrived the day before. i asked if they can have it released by Wednesday so i can use it to shoot over the long weekend. they said they'll try and they'll call me later that day. having several experiences that they don't really call back, i wasnt surprised that they didnt call. so i let it go since I have other lenses to use.

last week, wednesday (march 27) i called again. asking for an update if the assembly has been installed already. no update yet. Then Lyn, said that she will go to tech and ask for an update. I said can i wait on the phone while she asks. she said no, i insisted to wait and she said she'll just call me back. CALL BACK... that's a BS alert, they NEVER call back. I even said to her that, i wanted to wait because you guys never call back everytime you say you'll call back. she said (in an unpleasant way) that she's sure she's gonna call me back. "sir sigurado po tatawag ako" then i asked what time so i know i can call you in case you forget. "sir i cannot commit a time pero sigurado po tatawag ako (she said in a medyo asar na na tono). ok fine, i said i'll wait. 5:20 that day... pasarado na, wala pang tawag. sabi ko na eh. so I called... pressed option 4 and wala na, nag ring tapos parang hinang tapos after 5 mins nag busy. i tried a few more times, i cannot get through anymore, maybe it's past 5:30 na but definitely nde pa 5:30 when I first tried.

March 28, i called up again at 2pm. looked specifically sa magaling na si Lyn. the one who answered said hold on sir. they put me on hold for 37minutes... until bigla nalang nag busy. i was using the speaker phone of the office so it was ok to wait and that's why i know how long i was waiting. after the busy tone, i called again. syempre hinanap ko uli si Lyn. On hold, 5 minutes then busy tone. Alangan naman tumigil ako, syempre tawag uli. this time the person answered (as if she was expecting someone will look for lyn), "ay si Lyn sir, ay sir wala po si Lyn eh, lumabas. ano po ba yung fofollow-up nyo?" i said, no i want to talk to lyn or your supervisor. "ay sir, teka lang ha?" then after a few seconds... busy tone.

then as i was trying to call again, this new person who just talked to me called me on my cellphone. "sir sorry nacut yung line (really?!?!), pero sir tungkol po sa item na for follow-up nyo...." i said, i want to talk to your supervisor first. then she said, "ay sir wala po sya eh, nasa meeting.... pero sir sa inyo po yung lens na blah blah diba sir oly... bukas po sir makukuha nyo na sya"

that is one customer service that really sucked.... nagtataguan pa. and that was not the first time they were like that, this one was only the worst.

i wasted time writing all of these because that's how lousy that phone follow-up service in canon is.

no offense of course... just letting everyone know what happened to me

So that was what happened until early April 2008. After that their people called me to make sure that my case is taken cared of (their supervisor and even the technician)... but after a week, they're gone again. I went to the US for 6 weeks and didn't care about it. I just thought that maybe after I come back the unit is finally fixed. But guess what? it is not. I tried calling the supervisor, Monica Natividad I think, because she said that if ever I need to follow-up I can call her directly. Well, I tried texting and calling her but she doesn't respond. She had one of her agents call me to give me an update and I was releived because they said that the unit is fixed. This was the first time they asked me to go to the service center to claim it and when I went there they said it was not yet fixed, then it happened again. unbelievable.

Let's move further up the story, here was what I wrote last week after following up with the items I had for repair:

07-10: Canon Marketing Philippines (CMP) is probably one of the most overrated things in this world. If you'll ask photographers in the philippines why they choose Canon over its rival Nikon, or what's the main advantage of Canon over Nikon, most will tell you that Canon has an excellent after-sales support here in the Philippines. Heck it's even a huge add-on to your stuff if you're selling it with CMP warranty. But that's just plain not true! It's an urban legend... it's what people are led to believe. CMP has one of the worst service you can ever experience, they seem so organized and impressive but how they run the place is just plain stupid - i get better service from the lugawan in our village.

I'm so unlucky that I don't have the money to shift systems right now but whoever is thinking that we Canon users get at least a decent service by having local support, you're very wrong. I'd rather suck-up to having no support and use a Nikon system - at least with that I don't have to expect anything.

This is getting pretty long for an item here... maybe I should create an entire post just about this and enumerate each and every annoying thing that I have encountered talking with CMP. Okei, i'll give them one more chance and then maybe I wont. Just a few minutes ago I asked for an update for yet another of my gears that I had serviced (3 weeks now! - pano na kung unlang yung camera ko?) and guess what? They have nothing! even after they told me that I can get it already LAST WEEK! They said they will call me back within the day for the update, I'll bet you my 1 month salary that they wouldn't call (well maybe unless they see this post) because for the last maybe 14 or 15 times they told me they're going to call me for the updates THEY NEVER DID! Pathetic.

UPDATE: Guess what? hell yeah, CANON didn't call. I bet they'll extend the claim date next time I call them. CANON from singapore should go here and monitor the awful way that CMP is destroying their brand.

After posting that I waited several days and I called again. That was last Monday and that was when Lyn (know her now huh?) told me that the unit is ready for pick-up. So we went there yesterday and they even blamed my driver saying that they already informed me last July 2 that the unit is still for repair.

Screw Canon Marketing Philippines. The culture they have there is sick.

Edited by Phrozhen.Khold

Nikon is STILL and ALWAYS will be the BEST!!! hehe... :upside:

But before i get any violent reactions to that statement...and spark a brand war...read on...it's not as bad as it sounds...

I am a Nikon user - mainly because that's what i started with in film...thus i had the lenses which could be used with the digital bodies...so it was a decision made due to being practical and cost efficient...that being said...

I daresay that no camera brand excels...there are some things another camera brand does not have...some functions which may be lacking etc...that's how the marketing world works...if you had a camera that could do all, then there would be no sense coming out with newer models every 18months more or less...

My recommendation to you is to talk to people using the different brands...siguro 2-3 people using a particular brand...and go from there...next thing you have to do is to go to a shop and physically handle the cameras and if they have test units, shoot a few shots and see how you like it...

The other thing to look at is how much the accessories cost...some may have cheaper bodies, but more expensive lenses, flash, etc etc...others vice versa...get an idea of how much you want to spend down the road...not all at once of course...and see which will fit your budget...it doesn't stop with buying the camera body and kit lens...very much unlike a p&s...

Check out also comments re: after sales service...both companies have horror stories...and also success stories...

One thing though i would suggest to you is to buy a unit from a reputable local dealer, and a unit with a local warranty not a grey one...it's a bit more expensive, but a small price to pay for peace of mind...

I envy you in that you are basically starting from scratch...but mind you, it really lightens your pocket!!!

so I hope there are no violent reactions... :unsure:

That's ONE complaint.

Count the number of complaints against Canon then multiply by 10.

Nikon doesn't even HAVE after sales support or service center here, since all the units brought in for repair are sent to either Singapore or Hongkong by Columbia. Guess how LONGER that takes.

Nikon is still playing catch up.

Why do you think more people prefer Canon? I've been to several shoots, and most lensmen have Canon cameras both as their main and backup.

Pound per pound, the two brands basically have THE SAME features.

high guys, im a newbie and im planning to purchase my 1st professional cam. i need something easy to use and operate, any suggestions ?

For starters, is it for a hobby, or do you plan to go pro? If you can afford it, get a (cheaper) prosumer with manual controls so you can experiment first, then go buy a dSLR when you're comfortable shooting good photos without flash.

For starters, is it for a hobby, or do you plan to go pro? If you can afford it, get a (cheaper) prosumer with manual controls so you can experiment first, then go buy a dSLR when you're comfortable shooting good photos without flash.

guys tnx for the feedback, well i just want to take some pictures and see if it works for me, maybe more of a hobby. im sorry but what do you mean "prosumer?" is 30-35k enough to get me one of those cameras that i can start with?

guys tnx for the feedback, well i just want to take some pictures and see if it works for me, maybe more of a hobby. im sorry but what do you mean "prosumer?" is 30-35k enough to get me one of those cameras that i can start with?

Short answer... YES... you can get a DSLR system with that budget...

Long answer... let him answer your question... hehehe

Long answer:

A prosumer camera is technically a "point and shoot" camera with both automatic and manual controls, just like a pro dSLR. The difference is, pro dSLR cameras have detachable lenses, giving you the ability to use different types of lenses for an assortment of shots and distances, while a prosumer's lenses are fixed. Some prosumers though, like the Canon Powershot A590IS, enable you to use adapters that enable you to use attachments like wide, macro and telefoto lenses.

post-82879-1216917766.jpg

post-82879-1216918322.jpg

The thing is, at your budget, considering you're doing this as a hobby, you can get a prosumer and its attachments, plus other nifties you might need, like a tripod for instance. At 35K, you can get a pro dSLR kit (like the 450D), and that's about it.

post-82879-1216917845.jpg

You'll have to shell out more moolah for the extras like the tripod, batteries, charger, etc.

Now, if you want to maximize your budget, get the prosumer, hobbywise and learning-wise. If you can shell out more just to start a hobby, then by all means, go get a dSLR to your heart's content,

The thing though, a lot of "hobbyists" and beginners think that they can make good shots just because the have a fancy pro camera. Personally, it's better to learn first with a camera you can "afford" to get dirty with.

Short answer:

It's still up to you. Just don't get swayed with simply deciding because you have enough for a budget. That's what most amateurs do. (Then again, if you have money to burn, it doesn't really matter).

Edited by chunkyhunk

Typical "prosumer" cams are the Canon S5IS, G9, Panasonic LX2, etc.

These cost anywhere from 18k to 29k.

Their main advantage is that they come with pretty good built-in lenses. They usually have faster lenses than the normal P&S cameras (F/2.8 on the wide end). They also have options for full manual controls. They're also really compact, so you can take pics nearly anywhere without guards hassling you.

The biggest advantage of a DSLR is the picture quality. You can go up to ISO 1600 on some DSLRs and still get something decent. The auto-focus is also much faster. The biggest complaint against DSLRs is the price of the good lenses and accessories (like a flash). It's a real money pit for a newbie. Choose wisely!

i guess theres so much to learn about photography, and its a good thing that you guys gave me enough idea and tips for a device to start with. im looking at nikon D40x and i find it interesting, can i again ask for tips about devices (camera models) that i can grab as a starter.

i guess theres so much to learn about photography, and its a good thing that you guys gave me enough idea and tips for a device to start with. im looking at nikon D40x and i find it interesting, can i again ask for tips about devices (camera models) that i can grab as a starter.

As thirteen said, choose wisely...

better than PnS offcorse, coz its a DSLR.

imho... if you want nikon, i'll get no less than D80, for current models only.

why? coz D40/D40x/D60 has no built in AF motor. means, only lenses labeled "AF-S" will auto focus. hence, lenses labeled "AF" or "AF-D" mostly nikkor prime lenses will not auto focus on these bodies.

if you want to use prime lens, sigma is offering lenses with built in motor like Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX HSM. hsm on sigma means that it has built in motor.

prosumer = most of the time slr like with manula controls. looks more pro than ordinary PnS.

with your budget, and if 2nd hand is not an issue, you can get descent dslr with it.

EOS 20D or 400D ~P20k

EFS 18-55 IS ~P5k

Speedlite 430EX ~P10k

P35k more or less

or

EOS 350D ~P18k

EFS 18-55 (non-IS) ~P2k

Speedlite 420EX ~P7k

P27k more or less

take note: even the best prosumer or slr-like digicam is no match for consumer level dslr.