Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

hey guys may tanong ulit ako..

bkt ung ibang shots ko blurred kahit na nakatripod or fast shutterspeed gamit ko?...kahit na tao or inanimate object ung kinukuhanan ko...ano reason bkt ganun?..

Paki check kung naka-focus ba ng maayos sa subject yung camera. Baka naman wala sa focus. Pwede rin tama yung focus pero kulang sa depth of field kaya may parte na ok, may parte na blurred.

Paki check kung naka-focus ba ng maayos sa subject yung camera. Baka naman wala sa focus. Pwede rin tama yung focus pero kulang sa depth of field kaya may parte na ok, may parte na blurred.

hmm..pwede sa focusing but if ever the focusing is right, naka tripod and inanimate ung object, are there any more reasons why a picture will be blurred?

hmm..pwede sa focusing but if ever the focusing is right, naka tripod and inanimate ung object, are there any more reasons why a picture will be blurred?

There's always camera shake...but if your shutter speed is fast enough (ex. 1/80 at 50mm on a 1.6x crop SLR), you'll have to consider that your lens or camera itself is faulty. In most cases, the lens probably has a front focus or back focus problem. A lens that has front focus has its true focus point a few cm / inches in front of the object you're focusing at. Back focus is the opposite, where the true focus point of the lens is some distance behind the object you're aiming for. You'll have to have the lens calibrated by the manufacturer to fix this. Another culprit could be mold or dew inside the lens. Finally, if the subject of your focus has low contrast with its background, the camera's auto-focus system can be fooled. This usually happens in low-light situations.

Hi! i need some advice about photography. I recently got this canon400d. i'm still using the kit lens though. can u recommend good "sulit" lenses? here's my sample shots so far... by the way, these aren't edited yet. i'm not so good with adobe either. :P hope you guys can help me out :)

post-78399-1186504518.jpg

post-78399-1186504650.jpg

post-78399-1186504750.jpg

post-78399-1186504829.jpg

Hi! i need some advice about photography. I recently got this canon400d. i'm still using the kit lens though. can u recommend good "sulit" lenses? here's my sample shots so far... by the way, these aren't edited yet. i'm not so good with adobe either. :P hope you guys can help me out :)

Interesting. A bit rough but it looks like you're trying to look at the world a different way. That's good!

Tips - first, get to know Adobe PS REAL well.

Second, shoot RAW as much as you can, and learn to use the Adobe Raw Converter to full advantage. I disagree with people who say that shooting JPEG is good enough. Hell, DIGITAL isn't even really quite good enough, why cripple it even more by shooting JPEGs? YOu paid lots of good bucks for that camera, why skimp on the memory cards? Doesn't make sense to me. RAW will give you as much control as PS will ever give you over your shots - how you convert to B/W, for instance, or whether you can pull out a bit more shadow or highlight detail (stuff that's lost when the camera truncates the 14-bit ourput of the ADC to 8 bits to do it's JPEG compression), or whether you select a very specific while balance or go with a "standard" white point, or whether you tweak the saturation to just the right level and don't depend on the limited choices the camera gives you.

Side note: I say digital isn't quite good enough. Why? Try shooting with a 4x5 film camera and fine grain film and you'll see what I mean. I went to the museaum last Sunday and saw, live, for the first time, a HUGE screen printed by Ansel Adams. It measured 5 feet high by 8 ft. wide. Lots of detail. Sharpness you could FEEL. And despite the xtreme enlargement, you cold get up close and personal (I did! I got to within 2 inches of the surface looking for imperfections.) and not lose tonal identity and relationships. it was truly amazing. THAT's what a large format negative on fine grain film will do for you.

Third, learn the basics. I tell EVERYONE this. Just because your camera will try to think for you is no reason to let it! It's YOUR image, how can a Japanese engineer who's never met you decide what YOU want your image to look like? boggles the mind! Learn how to expose. Learn how to focus. learn how to trade aperture for shutter speed. Learn how to use aperture to control depth of field to isolate elemetns of the image. Learn how to use motion blur to your advantage.

Fourth, it seems like you are interested in portraits. Nice. that's a really hard thing to do well! I hope you succeed in meeting YOUR OWN expectations. If you want a suggestion for a lens that's good for portraits, try a 75mm or 85mm lens. The perspective it gives you is great for faces, depth of field control is optimal for close-in work. And lenses in that range of focal length tend to be the sharpest.

Last (for now, at least), look at what past masters have done, and try to learn from them. One past master whose books you should definitely look for is Yousuf Karsh. Great portrait photographer of the mid-20th century. Amazing work. He shot only in 8x10, mostly in b/w, and was an absolute master of lighting.

Good luck!!!

@mig 22... I'm just newbie like you but what I can trully say is that your images need some help in composition. I believe there are links shared here and at a parallel thread called Shutterbugs that provide tips and references to help in bringing out the best in our photography... Paki resize din ng photos bro to around 640 or 800 wide for easier viewing.

@ dixiechiq... sis, a kit lens if used with a solid foundation and diligence in mastering the basics just like sir agxo3 mentioned in his reply will provide you more than enough tool to start with in your learning to become better in this art and on your way to perhaps becoming a famous pro in the filed of photography. You will be surprised at the images you can get even with a supposedly "kit" lens once all the elements of a good photographic capture is in place.

Prime and specialized lenses HELP make for great images but only goes so far to compliment the skills of the photographer... A prime 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 if budget allows is a good piece of glass to have (50mm translates to 75 to 80mm on a DSLR's depending on the make and model's sensor size magnification factor).

Paki re-size din yung pics sis. BTW, realy uniquely interesting approach you have there on your images.

@ agxo3... I always keenly note your replies and your contributions sir as it is very informative and trully helpful. You have an un-matched zeal and passion for the art of photography. Your straight-shooting, non sugar-coated, and steely approach scares the heck out of me but nevertheless effective and very admirable! You definitely keep me on my toes! :D

Edited by fire_breather

Bro, other than the ones you've mentioned above... the only thing I can think off is having the correct ISO setting on your camera (and film choice) for matching the lighting conditions of the subject you are capturing. You are not alone bro... as I have ruined several "supposedly" good shots due to ISO mismatches. Here'sa a link for your reading pleasure... "ISO in relation to sharpness" I hope it helps shed a light on your dilema :) Cheers!

Edited by fire_breather
hey guys may tanong ulit ako..

bkt ung ibang shots ko blurred kahit na nakatripod or fast shutterspeed gamit ko?...kahit na tao or inanimate object ung kinukuhanan ko...ano reason bkt ganun?..

XG, two questions:

1) first, what camera are you using?

2) post some pics and include the setting, please! Hard to tell what the problem is if we can't see the images.

If your shots are blurred even if you use a tripod and/or a fast shutter speed, then I would guess you're not focusing right. I would expect that you are letting the camera outoffocus (not a typo!!!) for you.

One BIG problem with autofocus is knowing just WHERE the camera is focusing. What in the scene is it focusing on? And how do you make sure that the camera focuses where YOU want it to focus? The answer is obvious - DON'T USE OUTOFFOCUS!!! Learn to manual focus.

Now, if you are using a p&s, then you may not be able to manual focus. In that case, you need to learn how to set the camera so the focus is determined by a spot rather than by a matrix. Then you need to learn how to focus lock - that is, point the camera at what you want in focus, hold that focus, re-frame, then shoot.

Try this then post some pics along with the settings and let's see what the problem might be!

Edited by agxo3

hey guys good day to all of you!

dapat yta dito ko na ipost yung mga pix ko, andun sya sa kabila eh...(shutterbugs)

well so far im doing a lot of back reading pag may time ako..yun nga nga parang hindi maapply dito sa digicam ko kasi point and shoot lang,digital pa yung focus nya.nakapagcanvass ako dito sa abu dhabi ng dslr and hindi pla biro yung price...cannon eos350d+kit 18-55mm+lens70+300mm sigma nasa dhs 2590..nikon d40x+kit18-55mm+lens 70-300mm nikon nasa 3499 dhs..wow! it will cost my fortune! kaya tuloy medyo na napalunok ako...hehe

mura na ba yung price ng mga yun...1$=3.68dhs, 1$=45.68p yun cannon nasa 32,149p and nikon about 43,433p...

isip muna ako? mga sir pwede khit mababa yung spec basta dslr?tutal im just starting to like this hobby.advice naman sa inyo mga bossing..shukran!

the_who: you just cannot "get" one. good models who do nude session have to trust the photographer, that probably means, they've worked with photographer often enough to know that he is professional enough to keep their hands where it should be and take professional-looking images.

however, if you really are in dire need, you can hire a prostitute and work with her.

the_who: you just cannot "get" one. good models who do nude session have to trust the photographer, that probably means, they've worked with photographer often enough to know that he is professional enough to keep their hands where it should be and take professional-looking images.

however, if you really are in dire need, you can hire a prostitute and work with her.

thanks for the advice! =)

• 3 weeks later...
hi all,

what place can you suggest to get a different feel for prenuptial shoots.. most of the time its outdoors like beaches, parks and the likes..

any idea guys like urban areas?

thanks

You could probably do a pre-nup in hotels or sumthin if you want to have an urban setting... really depends on your taste...

Baka may mapadayong bebot rito. Am addict to take nude pictures... anybody interested and willing? Please PM me girls. Thank you.

Err... right... <_<

maybe we can set a photoshoot dito sa mtc and probably invite some of our "game" members here. I would suggest na somewhere public lang muna like la mesa, then kung comfortable na yung mga model sa ating mga menyek na photog, then pwede siguro yung mga parang fhm look na layouts na sa rented studio. marami naman ang nagpaparent ng studio ngayon sa metro.

so anyone open to this idea?

maybe we can set a photoshoot dito sa mtc and probably invite some of our "game" members here. I would suggest na somewhere public lang muna like la mesa, then kung comfortable na yung mga model sa ating mga menyek na photog, then pwede siguro yung mga parang fhm look na layouts na sa rented studio. marami naman ang nagpaparent ng studio ngayon sa metro.

so anyone open to this idea?

Good idea... might as well invite the bugs over at the groups thread...

• 2 weeks later...
hi peeps!

I just started taking interest in Photography. Any suggestions where i could take pictures in metro manila? Im also planning to get a new camera, i have a cannon eos 350d, is it ideal to switch to nikon, olympus or stick to cannon?

thanks.

there are many places to go to in taking pix in manila.. if u want nostalgic- go to intramuros/old manila..

if you want cityscape.. have access to helipads or hi-rise buildings and shoot away.

for sunsets..roxas blvd, mall of asia will do.

as for your DSLR, EOS 350d is not that bad, one thing is that it has many canon lenses available in the market for you to choose from.

well if you want to switch for Nikon, be sure it'll be of higher models (not of the D40 series). from my experience i got hard time using D40x since most of the quick settings in my 350d is way buried in the menus of D40x, the focus points of D40x has only 3 (compared to 7 of 350d)

the only good thing about the d40x is that it has higher resolution (10mpx) compared to eos350d.

Also consider the memory cards you'll use if jumping from one DSLR brand to another (canon:CF; Nikon: SD)

anyways just my two cents worth.. :rolleyes:

Edited by wharkooze

@ wharkooze - Thanks for the advise. :thumbsupsmiley: i havent taken pictures on helipads coz i dont have access. i have taken pictures of the sun set at roxas blvd. i noticed that theres more color on the nikon d40x than the shot from cannon eos 350d is it due higher resolution? is there an online guide on photography for dummies that i can take a look at? :huh:

thanks...

@ wharkooze - Thanks for the advise. :thumbsupsmiley: i havent taken pictures on helipads coz i dont have access. i have taken pictures of the sun set at roxas blvd. i noticed that theres more color on the nikon d40x than the shot from cannon eos 350d is it due higher resolution? is there an online guide on photography for dummies that i can take a look at? :huh:

thanks...

glad to help.. about the color yeah i guess you may say that it was because of the resolution, but from the review magz i read it was indicated that the picture quality of canon is more for print-ready (as in no adjustment necessary). :)

as for the online guides.. since ur using eos350d better go to canon japan website they have this beginner guide on how to maximize ur EOS dslr camera

or better click this LINK

currently am reading this book from Canon entitled "Eye of EOS" which comes bundled when you buy Canon 350d back then but mine was given by my good friend who had this book also given by his friend who bought it in SG.. it has this guide/tips how to adjust the aperture, shutter, iso and lots of canon lens guide for specific usage. better check it out on the web or canon distributor there in SM north.