Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

There is absolutely no logical reason for using a film camera any more; digital is now capable of producing far technically far better results in terms of resolution, fidelity and versatility. Photoshop and the like put tools way beyond the capability of the most talented color darkroom worker in the hands of everyone.

That doesn't mean better pictures of course. As someone else pointed out, the only two essential tools remain the same as they were in the days of the Daguerotype: light and your eye.

Choosing to expose film and then waiting days to see the results frankly just seems like masochism to me. There is only one way to become an expert at anything and that is continual practice, evolving and growing. To limit yourself to at most 36 frames and then analyzing the result a week later having forgotten the settings and circumstances is pointless, expensive and self-limiting. I'm certain that were Cartier-Bresson still alive he would still be waiting for those Decisive Moments but he would be catching a great many more of them with a digital camera.

Having said that of course I still cant part with my F4, Leica and Hasselblad. The sheer beauty of the mechanisms still awes me even if I never use them. Much as I still wear a mechanical automatic watch when a 10 buck quartz would tell the time better.

So much for logic..

• 2 weeks later...

For Serious Photography Enthusiast!

Black and White Film Developing and Printing Tutorial

Type: Education - Workshop

Date: Saturday, April 10, 2010

Time: 9:00am - 5:00pm

Description

Calling all photography enthusiasts! Go back and learn the basics of manual film developing. Enjoy the process of printing your own negatives and be enthralled by the magic of manual film developing.

Join the Black / White Film Developing and Printing Tutorial and learn to develop your own film and print your own photographs. This one-day tutorial assures you that at the end of the workshop, you’ll go home with your own processed negatives and printed black and white photos.

Attendees need to bring at least 2 exposed rolls but not yet develop black and white films ( 135’s or 120’s ). Limited number of participants per session may be accommodated to assure a one-on-one tutorial session.

Venue: Blumenttrit St., Sampaloc, Manila.

Contact Ariel Tresvalles at altaroflion@yahoo.com for more information. Please write the heading: Black and White Film Tutorial

Ariel Tresvalles

Marketing Services Manager

Fujifilm / YKL Color Inc

#24 Sto. Domingo St.,

Brgy. Sienna, Quezon City

• 3 weeks later...

Sa mga gusto matuto ng basic photography at meron kayong facebook acct. try nyo ito ( DSLR Beginners & Amateur Group ) its free and check nyo who are the adviser or officers of the group ang babait nila, all about basic or kahit advance photography tutulungan nila kayo! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

hi ano mganda dslr n camera for newbies

yung medyo affordable

bought my very first cam, a brand new canon 450d, at 29k last dec.

mrami non ngsuggest nikon daw mganda for a beginner but after many researches and browses and everythin, i decided kung ano tlga gusto ko...when i got to that point, research na nman san mganda and mura mkabili without compromising the quality. kya ayun...haping-happy with this beautiful lil toy ^_^

goodluck!

mga masters,

ask ko lang kung ano maganda filter brand (polarizing filter)for canon.

thanks..

one of the better ones is Hoya...suggest you invest in a good brand since you can use that in other lenses naman as long as the size is the same...

another way to save money - bumili ka ng malaking size na filter, tapos invest in step up rings - these rings cost less that P500 pesos...you spend several thousand on only 1 filter which you can use for all your lenses...

bought my very first cam, a brand new canon 450d, at 29k last dec.

mrami non ngsuggest nikon daw mganda for a beginner but after many researches and browses and everythin, i decided kung ano tlga gusto ko...when i got to that point, research na nman san mganda and mura mkabili without compromising the quality. kya ayun...haping-happy with this beautiful lil toy ^_^

goodluck!

the equipment of course helps, but ultimately it's the person looking through the viewfinder and pressing the shutter release...

• 4 weeks later...

one of the better ones is Hoya...suggest you invest in a good brand since you can use that in other lenses naman as long as the size is the same...

another way to save money - bumili ka ng malaking size na filter, tapos invest in step up rings - these rings cost less that P500 pesos...you spend several thousand on only 1 filter which you can use for all your lenses...

Better filter, . . B/W, cokin, me mga generic din . . STPPO

mga masters,

ask ko lang kung ano maganda filter brand (polarizing filter)for canon.

thanks..

hoya or cokin kaso mahal nito sir

para sakin kung bibili ka nito mas maganda kung sa lenteng gagamitin mo na pangmatagalan

and not for kit lens kasi for sure bibili ka rin ng magandang lens pagdating ng araw

you can try sunpak, for beginners

i think sunpak has good quality also

imho

I agree in fact a friend is organizing one happening on the 19th. Hope you guys can join coz this is a good team, for portfolio this is top dog hehe. Im a big fan of them. Anyway here here are the details

Imagine this: a pool side photo shoot featuring Bridget Suarez wearing some of the most cutting edge and provocative swim wear, styled by Donna Cuna-Pita (former Cosmopolitan Magazine fashion editor, fashion columnist for the Philippine Star, and current fashion editor of FHM Magazine). Art direction, photography lights, and drinks provided. Think of it as a pool party with a model--bring your camera and snap away. It's an instant photo shoot with a professional stylist, a great location, and the perfect girl!

Sounds too good to be true? Why don't you see for yourself!

On 19 June 2010, Saturday, 3 to 6 pm, 7th floor, poolside of The G Hotel, Roxas Boulevard, Manila

Session fee: P3,500 (includes free drinks at the pool bar!)

*A P2,000 non-refundable deposit will be needed to confirm your slot . This is 1st come 1st serve basis and there are only limited slots available. For inquries you can call 09209329634 or email alansevilla@gmail.com. Bank details will be sent through email/text upon receipt of your reservation email.

Looking forward to a hot and steady afternoon w/ you guys. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

For beginner's DSLRs depende sa ano ba ang gusto at feel mo na gamitin (i.e. user friendliness, operating platform etc.)

Ang mahalaga naman kasi comfortable ka sa body ng DSLR mo.

Maginvest ka much sa mga lenses. Iyan ang payo nila sa akin.

I got a EOS 550D last June 10, 2010 sa PC Show dito sa Singapore. Dami ko nakuha freebies!!!

I'm planning to buy a 50mm lens later para sa mga portraiture shots.

Yung existing ko ngayon na lens is EFS 18-55mm.

Puwedeng puwede para mag-cover ng mga events and gatherings.

I plan to go to the National Day Parade fireworks display ngayung August.

Guys, puede ba kayong magpost ng mga works nyo and their camera settings for the benefit of us newbies in the craft???

Another photog newbie here. Why buy a 50mm lens if your present lens already covers 18-55mm? May advantage ba sa fixed lens?

For beginner's DSLRs depende sa ano ba ang gusto at feel mo na gamitin (i.e. user friendliness, operating platform etc.)

Ang mahalaga naman kasi comfortable ka sa body ng DSLR mo.

Maginvest ka much sa mga lenses. Iyan ang payo nila sa akin.

I got a EOS 550D last June 10, 2010 sa PC Show dito sa Singapore. Dami ko nakuha freebies!!!

Guys, puede ba kayong magpost ng mga works nyo and their camera settings for the benefit of us newbies in the craft???

Having a fixed/prime lens is a good practice because it doesn't make you lazy compared with zoom lens. This makes the photographer much more focused on his or her composition before shooting because he (or her) is doing the manual zooming (walking back and forth).

Question is which 50mm will you gonna buy. Is it the f/1.8 II or the f/1.4 version? Both has an excellent quality in terms of sharpness but I don't like the build quality of the f/1.8 II version. When I touch it I felt that I can easily break it compared with the f/1.4 version. f/1.4 is much faster and has a much stronger build quality, not to mention it produces good bokeh. However its prices ranges from 18-19K whie f.1.8 II is only around 4-5k.

If you have the budget and you were aiming for the f/1.4 version then go for it you can't go wrong with this lens. Since you were using a cropped body so equivalent range is around 80mm so it can already give you both full body and head/shoulder portraits. However, pushing your budget a little higher you can already purchase the EF f/1.8 85mm which gives you a much longer focal range which is much more ideal for portaits. IMHO, I'll just stick (for now) with my 18-55mm and buy the 85mm instead since the kit lens already covered the 50mm range wink.gif

Another photog newbie here. Why buy a 50mm lens if your present lens already covers 18-55mm? May advantage ba sa fixed lens?

hi pinoymale

im no expert sa photography but i also own a 50mm lens.

1 advantage of this is the f-stop or the aperture, which in this case is, prime lenses has LOWER f-stops.

meaning, these kinds of lenses are faster on low lights

i guess since you now have a camera and with kit lens on, you already have noticed that your lens is weak when there is very poor light.

getting blurry pictures is somewhat frustrating :P

but with f/1.4,1.8.2.0 you, shooting on this kind of environment is a lot easier

plus, prime lenses are very nice for portraiture photography

it has nice bokeh, nothing compared to zoom lenses

hope this helps

bytearray's comment is very true, but for me 85mm is a bit pricey, i think it is around 17k and up for canon (f1.8)

while 50mm(f/1.4) is only 4k in hidalgo