Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

I think she meant "it doesn't matter what kind of medium was used" not "i don't care about the technicalities..." ... at least that's how i got it. One can still be a master of one medium and appreciate all media...pwede naman diba? And in IMHO, there's nothing wrong with "rare unique pictures you dont know how you managed to take"... such "tragedies" are actually what got us into photography in the first place. Maybe master boomouse was born talented, but most of us who love photography started out as this ... "pseudo-talents"...tama ba spelling saer? wala po sa vocabulary ko to eh.

… sure, take on its own, there is nothing wrong with rare unique pictures you don't know how you managed to take. Except in a thread where you might be DREAMING TO BE A FAMOUS PHOTOGRAPHER in which case, you will have to know because you will have to be able to repeat your successes if you are to realize your "dream."

There's a fine line between artistic refinement and elitist/exclusivist attitude. I think those of us who know better should teach others to be better, there are more constructive ways of teaching than labeling derogatory terms to others who are obviously trying to appreciate the art. let's try to help each other out, not try to put each other down. my two cents lang po....peace!! l

How can you say there is a fine line? The two ideas are not even correlated. There can be a world of difference or there may be not (in which case there might be a fine enough ine). Elitist and exclusivist? That can also be the province of someone who is artistic, not necessarily refined. You are the one you attached the labels as in "elitist/exclusivist." Besides, this thread is not about art appreciation. Go somewhere else for that. This is about discussions of how someone might realize a dream of being a famous photographer someday.

If you think I was trying to put anyone down, read my post again and concentrate on the comprehension and then perhaps post another reply. Something that would be worth two cents this time. Please.

In a painting, the painter must be able to translate what is in his mind's 'eye' into hand and arm movements to convert it into something on canvas. An analogue photographer must be able to take how he sees a photograph in his mind and translate that to an image on film and paper. He does this by knowing the difference between how his eye sees a scene and how film sees the same view. Then he considers the limitation of how much light he has to paint with, and the limitations of his film medium. And because it is troublesome to get from clicking the shutter to seeing the final product, he has to be able to do all of this correctly the first time. Up to this point, there is no talent or crestivity involved. This is purely craftsmanship--the ability to use tools effectively and efficiently. This, I respect greatly.

I may not fully agree with you but this particular perception is well said.

Cheers to the great oldies!

Merry xmas guys..just to lighten up.

Ive been a casual picture taker (not a photographer) using a digicam for the past 2, maybe 3 years.

I feel that at this point, im ready to graduate to a "real" camera, much like one graduates to a big school after kindergarten.

I use the school analogy because I am basically a student of the art of taking pictures. One that aspires to take photographs at some point.

I was thinking of buying the Canon Rebel EOS Xs. Its reasonably priced and seems easy to use. I was also looking at the Nikon D40 basically because I cant afford anything more than that.

Someone told me to go out and try holding these 2 cameras to help me decide.

May I get some feedback from y'all about these 2 cameras?

This is one of the pictures ive taken -- using a Casio Exilim, no edits, no Photoshop, just a resize using the Preview function of my Mac. I want to take better pictures than this.

Thanks.

post-40936-1228429655.jpg

Edited by Wyld
… sure, take on its own, there is nothing wrong with rare unique pictures you don't know how you managed to take. Except in a thread where you might be DREAMING TO BE A FAMOUS PHOTOGRAPHER in which case, you will have to know because you will have to be able to repeat your successes if you are to realize your "dream."

agree. i had some pictures i got years before with a simple casio exilim that i keep trying to do again with my newer dslr...somehow i never managed to do it again. i checked and matched whatever specs i could, but never did manage to duplicate the technique ... yet (i'm still trying). Though in retrospect, I did learn a lot while trying to take that original picture apart - i studied the lighting conditions, i got into the nitty gritty of how a casio exilim processes images, and had to compare that with the nitty gritty of how a nikon dslr processes images. its tough complicated stuff, just to find that technique and i believe i'm not even halfway there.

so, i guess to further explain my point that is what's priceless in that first photo "that you dont know how you got" - the sense of wonder and curiosity you get that would keep you going and going for decades. that's why i raised that point.

How can you say there is a fine line? The two ideas are not even correlated. There can be a world of difference or there may be not (in which case there might be a fine enough ine). Elitist and exclusivist? That can also be the province of someone who is artistic, not necessarily refined. You are the one you attached the labels as in "elitist/exclusivist."

I apologize if I rattled nerves...I wasn't labeling sir boomouse. Hear me out....Id like to explain how these two "labels" are related. I have been in the arts and education industry for a fairly long time (not necessarily photography though) and to what i have seen, there are people who truly know their medium, maybe painting sculpture, dance, acting, etc....and they bring their medium to an extraordinary level when THEY are performing. In this respect, how they approach their art does not matter, their motivations and biases are not relevant to the outcome(at least, to those who are looking - to them of course it is).

However, when given the opportunity of passing on the knowledge, or teaching others (with talent, of course) some of their attitudes become a hindrance. Some are so competitive that they see their students as competition and try raise unnecessary levels of tests and social platforms that would exclude those students from being at par with them. This is what I meant by the term "elitist/exclusivist". So these "masters" are artistically refined given their knoweldge and achievement, but given another objective - to teach, they become exclusivist to the disadvantage of the poor hungry talented souls of their students.

A point was debated years ago that this kind of environment, however unfavourable to the student would only lead him (if he is truly passionate enough) to excel more and exert more effort in trying to meet the master's requisites. Out of that debate there was no consensus. I was on the side that these were unnecessary emotional and mental pressure that should be better focussed on other more constructive efforts.

It may seem that knowing something, it would be easy to pass that knowledge on to someone else, but as said, there are attitudes to be considered. This is the fine line I was referring to.

Besides, this thread is not about art appreciation. Go somewhere else for that. This is about discussions of how someone might realize a dream of being a famous photographer someday.

Apologies for another different point of view. Does this mean that to be a "Famous Photographer" you don't need to appreciate the art of photography? Now this is new and shocking to me...because to me "appreciation" doesn't necessarily mean "praise" but a deeper understanding of what is going on behind the artwork. I guess...yeah one can be famous by being friends with famous people and media personalities...but i dont think this is what we came here for.... :unsure:

If you think I was trying to put anyone down, read my post again and concentrate on the comprehension and then perhaps post another reply. Something that would be worth two cents this time. Please.

With all due respect sir, your previous post was so condescending to the point of insult, well, at least to me. I felt that I belonged to the "tragedies" you labeled as pseudo-talents - and I wasn't even the one you were replying to! Now I understand and respect great artists like you (photographers included) but I truly do not appreciate that kind of attitude, and so does a lot of people. So, please, I dont want to reply to this again. Ive said my point as respectfully and explained my side as plainly as I can. I don't really care what my post is worth to you, but if you really care about not stepping on other people, you would at least give it two cents worth. With all due respect, sir....

Edited by Missionary
Ive been a casual picture taker (not a photographer) using a digicam for the past 2, maybe 3 years.

I feel that at this point, im ready to graduate to a "real" camera, much like one graduates to a big school after kindergarten.

I use the school analogy because I am basically a student of the art of taking pictures. One that aspires to take photographs at some point.

I was thinking of buying the Canon Rebel EOS Xs. Its reasonably priced and seems easy to use. I was also looking at the Nikon D40 basically because I cant afford anything more than that.

This is one of the pictures ive taken -- using a Casio Exilim, no edits, no Photoshop, just a resize using the Preview function of my Mac. I want to take better pictures than this.

Thanks.

As a nikon user, I'm biased to point you off to the nikon d40. Check out Ken Rockwell's site for useful advise on everything on photography gadgets. He's also biased for the nikon d40, and has written a good article espousing the joys of using the little thing. happy shooting maam!

Thanks.

ms wyld bakit d40? may mura yata at mas maganda yung d60.... tas yung rebel xs good choice mura xa tas makakabili ka pa ng magandang lens... pero kung mejo meron kang budget sa rebel xsi ka na, mas una xa sa rebel xs pero mas maganda features nya.... hndi po veterans pero kakagaling ko lang sa pagreresearch ng dslr.... i would recomend canon rebel xsi, nikon d60, olympus 420!!!! sana makatulong!!!!!

agree. i had some pictures i got years before with a simple casio exilim that i keep trying to do again with my newer dslr...somehow i never managed to do it again. i checked and matched whatever specs i could, but never did manage to duplicate the technique ... yet (i'm still trying). Though in retrospect, I did learn a lot while trying to take that original picture apart - i studied the lighting conditions, i got into the nitty gritty of how a casio exilim processes images, and had to compare that with the nitty gritty of how a nikon dslr processes images. its tough complicated stuff, just to find that technique and i believe i'm not even halfway there.

so, i guess to further explain my point that is what's priceless in that first photo "that you dont know how you got" - the sense of wonder and curiosity you get that would keep you going and going for decades. that's why i raised that point.

I apologize if I rattled nerves...I wasn't labeling sir boomouse. Hear me out....Id like to explain how these two "labels" are related. I have been in the arts and education industry for a fairly long time (not necessarily photography though) and to what i have seen, there are people who truly know their medium, maybe painting sculpture, dance, acting, etc....and they bring their medium to an extraordinary level when THEY are performing. In this respect, how they approach their art does not matter, their motivations and biases are not relevant to the outcome(at least, to those who are looking - to them of course it is).

However, when given the opportunity of passing on the knowledge, or teaching others (with talent, of course) some of their attitudes become a hindrance. Some are so competitive that they see their students as competition and try raise unnecessary levels of tests and social platforms that would exclude those students from being at par with them. This is what I meant by the term "elitist/exclusivist". So these "masters" are artistically refined given their knoweldge and achievement, but given another objective - to teach, they become exclusivist to the disadvantage of the poor hungry talented souls of their students.

A point was debated years ago that this kind of environment, however unfavourable to the student would only lead him (if he is truly passionate enough) to excel more and exert more effort in trying to meet the master's requisites. Out of that debate there was no consensus. I was on the side that these were unnecessary emotional and mental pressure that should be better focussed on other more constructive efforts.

It may seem that knowing something, it would be easy to pass that knowledge on to someone else, but as said, there are attitudes to be considered. This is the fine line I was referring to.

Apologies for another different point of view. Does this mean that to be a "Famous Photographer" you don't need to appreciate the art of photography? Now this is new and shocking to me...because to me "appreciation" doesn't necessarily mean "praise" but a deeper understanding of what is going on behind the artwork. I guess...yeah one can be famous by being friends with famous people and media personalities...but i dont think this is what we came here for.... :unsure:

With all due respect sir, your previous post was so condescending to the point of insult, well, at least to me. I felt that I belonged to the "tragedies" you labeled as pseudo-talents - and I wasn't even the one you were replying to! Now I understand and respect great artists like you (photographers included) but I truly do not appreciate that kind of attitude, and so does a lot of people. So, please, I dont want to reply to this again. Ive said my point as respectfully and explained my side as plainly as I can. I don't really care what my post is worth to you, but if you really care about not stepping on other people, you would at least give it two cents worth. With all due respect, sir....

I note your politeness and laud your restraint. I also apologize if you have found my words a bit too grating for your taste. As you might have surmised I too mentor people as part of daily life--employees. However, unlike you, I have placed higher emphasis on the accuracy of message delivery and oftentimes, tact, diplomacy, and generally being nice does get sacrificed in the altar of precise, brief and succinct communication.

I get it. You don't like assholes or abrasive people. I on the other hand do not like to waste time being palsy-walsy.

Art appreciation in photography comes with the territory of course. But a true photographer is not only creative, and artistic with an acute eye, he is also an astute craftsman who has mastered his tools and understands all the technical concepts involved. This is why his work has evolved a style that is his own. Because his successes are repeatable.

You may have taken a few good pictures. That may make you an artist. Albeit, an accidental one. But unless you are able to repeat that same photograph in another frame, you should not and cannot be considered a photographer. And I have never yet seen, heard, or read of a famous accidental photographer. In colloquial tagalog we have a word for it don't we? Chambero. You may call this 'stepping on other people' again. I apologize. But I struggle to find another word that cannot be considered a pejorative. So there.

nakakatuwa itong discussion na ito...

what boomouse was probably trying to say is, to be come a famous photographer, hindi pwede yung ala-chamba. you have to know how you took the photograph. knowing the aesthetic and technical aspects and planning even before touching the shutter button.

ang sa akin, shempre kung baguhan ka puro experiment ka muna. trial and error, ganun talaga lalo na dSLR ang hawak ngayon, swerte lang at may EXIF para malaman mo later on kung pano nagawa yung chamba na shot. hindi na siguro kailangan magsimula pa sa film para maging magaling na photographer, pero mas nakakatulong kung ang disiplina ay katulad sa film photography. yung tipong kada frame na kukunan mo eh kailangan maganda para hindi sayang ang oras at pagod.

mas konting chamba shots, mas maganda.

saka nyo na isipin yung gear. madali na yun. importante malaman kung paano imaximize yung gear nyo ngayon.

Whew! I never thought that this would happen during my absence... hehehe

Now you tell me, does this really sound like I resent young people using digital technology?

Absolutely not. Pardon for the 'sourgraping' thing I used. I only mentioned that coz while posting, I remembered somebody who calls himself a purist. He's rambling how low he thinks about people who uses DSLRs and yet during that event I was shooting, he's using one :P.

I hope you don't mind me sharing this.

Anyway, I also fell into the pit of just taking pictures at whim when I was starting. I just took them without actually thinking much about how I go about it. Looking back, I hated most of the photos I took and somehow regretted the time I wasted. I remember being proud of them before... hehehe. I told myself, if I only studied more about photography during my trip in UK (I was sent by my current company for training) then those photos would've been something I would be proud of even today. Out of hundreds of shots only a handful managed to pass my taste (well, not really but it will do).

It’s not about the camera, it’s about the one using the camera. actually who cares if you post processed?or lomographers?or noobs or experts?..I think it depends on what story you want to tell, or how you want that story to be told.

My lady, sorry to burst your bubble but if you didn't manage to capture the moment that you want no amount of processing nor type of medium would you be able to tell your story at the exact time you took your photo.

A photographic work is always about the photographer working with the camera. It always is and always will be. A picture-taker would not care about the camera only about whether he or she was able to capture a pretty picture. It would have to be a rare and unique picture because he would not know how he managed to take such a picture if he did not care about the camera. And that is the tragedy of pseudo talent.

Couldn't agree more.

I think she meant "it doesn't matter what kind of medium was used" not "i don't care about the technicalities..." ... at least that's how i got it. One can still be a master of one medium and appreciate all media...pwede naman diba? And in IMHO, there's nothing wrong with "rare unique pictures you dont know how you managed to take"... such "tragedies" are actually what got us into photography in the first place. Maybe master boomouse was born talented, but most of us who love photography started out as this ... "pseudo-talents"...tama ba spelling saer? wala po sa vocabulary ko to eh.

There's a fine line between artistic refinement and elitist/exclusivist attitude. I think those of us who know better should teach others to be better, there are more constructive ways of teaching than labeling derogatory terms to others who are obviously trying to appreciate the art. let's try to help each other out, not try to put each other down. my two cents lang po....peace!!l

One couldn't be a 'master' if you'll only rely on 'tragedies'. Your audience is your worst critic. If you can't take criticisms you wouldn't survive in this field.

You may have taken a few good pictures. That may make you an artist. Albeit, an accidental one. But unless you are able to repeat that same photograph in another frame, you should not and cannot be considered a photographer. And I have never yet seen, heard, or read of a famous accidental photographer. In colloquial tagalog we have a word for it don't we? Chambero. You may call this 'stepping on other people' again. I apologize. But I struggle to find another word that cannot be considered a pejorative. So there.

Hehehe... I still call myself 'Chambero' :P

nakakatuwa itong discussion na ito...

what boomouse was probably trying to say is, to be come a famous photographer, hindi pwede yung ala-chamba. you have to know how you took the photograph. knowing the aesthetic and technical aspects and planning even before touching the shutter button.

ang sa akin, shempre kung baguhan ka puro experiment ka muna. trial and error, ganun talaga lalo na dSLR ang hawak ngayon, swerte lang at may EXIF para malaman mo later on kung pano nagawa yung chamba na shot. hindi na siguro kailangan magsimula pa sa film para maging magaling na photographer, pero mas nakakatulong kung ang disiplina ay katulad sa film photography. yung tipong kada frame na kukunan mo eh kailangan maganda para hindi sayang ang oras at pagod.

mas konting chamba shots, mas maganda.

saka nyo na isipin yung gear. madali na yun. importante malaman kung paano imaximize yung gear nyo ngayon.

How true, especially if you get to the point that you're already being paid to take photos. Your clients will expect nothing less than your best work ALWAYS. Not only that, you'll always be in a time constraint and you have to maximize the time that's been given to you.

A lot of people have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome :P) thinking buying the best equipment will ensure them of taking great photos. Again, even if you have the most expensive and the most advance gear in the world, if you don't know how it works and how to use it... its useless.

Hey guys/gals-

I have a question I'd like to ask everyone, especially yung mga professional photographers dito. Even though Im a relative newbie to photography (but been doing digital imaging since high school), Ive often wondered how I'd do If I could jump on and do photography full time..or will it be better to do it just as a hobby / sideline...My question is

1. Is it possible to be a successful (famous?? saka na yan..successful lang muna) photographer without turning pro? Why?

2. If not, then what's the best way to go about it on your spare time?

Hope to hear from all of you...cheers!

As a nikon user, I'm biased to point you off to the nikon d40. Check out Ken Rockwell's site for useful advise on everything on photography gadgets. He's also biased for the nikon d40, and has written a good article espousing the joys of using the little thing. happy shooting maam!

Hey there -- thank you for the feedback.

Yes ive gone out and "handled" the D40. Its okay ... but im still thinking a bit more.

ms wyld bakit d40? may mura yata at mas maganda yung d60.... tas yung rebel xs good choice mura xa tas makakabili ka pa ng magandang lens... pero kung mejo meron kang budget sa rebel xsi ka na, mas una xa sa rebel xs pero mas maganda features nya.... hndi po veterans pero kakagaling ko lang sa pagreresearch ng dslr.... i would recomend canon rebel xsi, nikon d60, olympus 420!!!! sana makatulong!!!!!

Kasi yun lang po ang kaya ng aking budget... :)

Hey there -- thank you for the feedback.

Yes ive gone out and "handled" the D40. Its okay ... but im still thinking a bit more.

Kasi yun lang po ang kaya ng aking budget... :)

A bit more? hmm...why not make the jump and go with the Nikon D90

--- twice (or more) the price of the D40, but once you get it....you'll never regret it!!

--- twice (or more) the price of the D40, but once you get it....you'll never regret it!!

Kasi mahirap lang po ako.

Hinihintay ko pa nga ma benta ko yung 2 digicams namin ng ate ko para makabili na ng real camera eh ...

:D

I would like to share my observation and opinion...

1. Is it possible to be a successful (famous?? saka na yan..successful lang muna) photographer without turning pro? Why?

2. If not, then what's the best way to go about it on your spare time?

1 Yes you can be successful, even famous without turning pro. You can be a pro but starving and unknown.

It's been a habit by most Filipinos to say "chamba lang" or "mahusay lang chumamba" when praised for an exceptional work or body of works.

It doesn't follow that If you're famous then you're good (photographer, actor, artist, writer, dancer, etc.) and vice-versa. You can be famous kahit chambero ka lang, even if you don't have "what it takes". Kahit nangongopya ka lang ng style ng iba pwede kang sumikat. On the other hand, you may be the best yet die a nobody.

So yesterday my friend and I went camera shopping.

Me being me, I tried holding the cameras again ... and I am now partial towards the D60. For some reason, the Rebel felt bulky in my hands ...

So after I sell the last of my 2 digicams on Friday, I think im getting the D60.

Yeah isa akong salawahan. :D