Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

Okay. Some sharing for all Y'all good folks. I'm no expert and just learn by the try and try method :) ... so please take it with a grain of salt.

Making Whites White... metering perspective! (Not a Tide advertisment :D)

aka Making Blacks Black

I have read that the built-in light meter of cameras (may they be complex or simple) are all calibrated to a standard reflectance known as 18% gray which means a meter assumes you are pointing it at a subject that reflects on average, 18% of the light that strikes it, ie. a gray subject.

Here then the camera attempts to adjust the settings so the image conforms to the 18% gray standard and most of the time this works or is sufficient for correct exposure.

However there are two exceptions/subjects where the meter can give erroneous reading (predominantly black 0% reflectance; and predominantly white 100% reflectance). Here the camera, whose meter is designed to work with 18% reflectance, will try to correct exposure base on that. In other words will ty to make the image "gray". It does this by over-exposing black (to become gray) and under exposing white (to become gray).

So here was the quick and dirty non-complicated tip that was provided.

...As normal practice when framing the subject we look at the exposure indicators of our camera and set the ISO, f-stop, and shutterspeed until we are right smak in between the +/- exposure indicators (some have red/green lights) to assure us of correct exposure. This is the camera's way to give you correct exposure.

The next thing to do is to try and overide it to fool the camera to under expose predominantly black subjects and over expose predominantly white subjects. Using a host of options in your SLR camera in manual mode and short of doing a custom WB, you can change shutter speed, aperture, ISO, do exposure compensation, and or bracket. There is no hard set rule for over/under exposures so experimantation is necessary.

Here are some learning photos of which I tried to go over what the camera deemed as proper exposure.

Our abnormal :D winterry conditions today gave me opportunity to try out what I've read...

*** Not retouched just re-sized for the sake of experimentation and sharing. ISO and Shutterspeed held constant.

A.1. Snowy Tree grove... (Camera says f/7.1 is right exposure)

post-58970-1259969179.jpg

A.2. Result when I dialed wider at f/5.6 (the exp meter was showing over exp)

post-58970-1259969169.jpg

B.1 Here's a field that that got white-out. (Camera says f/11.0 is right exposure)

post-58970-1259969212.jpg

B.2 Here's what I got when dialed wider at f/9.0 (the exp meter was showing over exp)

post-58970-1259969193.jpg

You be the judge but for me the purposedly over exposed ones are whiter and sure enough the ones that the camera say correct exposures are indeed gray-ish. Surprisinlgy the histograms of the over exp shots are well within the normal and expected distribution and away from the right (blown-highlights region)

Inputs and feedback for a lively discussion are welcome and even encouraged :D

Cheers!

Edited by fire_breather
so whats the point? stop dreaming? common! its off the topic! why dont you research again on the net, then post it again here... make it HELPFUL.

Don't get me wrong Bro.. me too had hard time reading this article.. but sadly that's how the trend is going..

I also invested on gears dreaming someday na kumita out of my "investments".. pero upon reading this .... its really going south lalo na sa rate ng mga Photographers.. deym .. may nagooffer na nga ng 2k for a wedding coverage...so what's the point competing against them.. and also what stand do i have sa mga kilala nang Photographers.

Maybe i'll just look this more like a hobby.. yung kinasisiyahan ko.. when time comes na may magbayad... special reward na lang ..but i'm not pursuing into being a full time professional.

Don't get me wrong Bro.. me too had hard time reading this article.. but sadly that's how the trend is going..

I also invested on gears dreaming someday na kumita out of my "investments".. pero upon reading this .... its really going south lalo na sa rate ng mga Photographers.. deym .. may nagooffer na nga ng 2k for a wedding coverage...so what's the point competing against them.. and also what stand do i have sa mga kilala nang Photographers.

Maybe i'll just look this more like a hobby.. yung kinasisiyahan ko.. when time comes na may magbayad... special reward na lang ..but i'm not pursuing into being a full time professional.

my bad... i think that should we all do... enjoy... pero bakit tayo titingin sa bayad? wahahaha... nweiz... bring some good pics guys... taas natin camera natin! wahahahahahaha!

Okay. Some sharing for all Y'all good folks. I'm no expert and just learn by the try and try method :) ... so please take it with a grain of salt.

Making Whites White... metering perspective! (Not a Tide advertisment :D)

aka Making Blacks Black

I have read that the built-in light meter of cameras (may they be complex or simple) are all calibrated to a standard reflectance known as 18% gray which means a meter assumes you are pointing it at a subject that reflects on average, 18% of the light that strikes it, ie. a gray subject.

Here then the camera attempts to adjust the settings so the image conforms to the 18% gray standard and most of the time this works or is sufficient for correct exposure.

However there are two exceptions/subjects where the meter can give erroneous reading (predominantly black 0% reflectance; and predominantly white 100% reflectance). Here the camera, whose meter is designed to work with 18% reflectance, will try to correct exposure base on that. In other words will ty to make the image "gray". It does this by over-exposing black (to become gray) and under exposing white (to become gray).

So here was the quick and dirty non-complicated tip that was provided.

...As normal practice when framing the subject we look at the exposure indicators of our camera and set the ISO, f-stop, and shutterspeed until we are right smak in between the +/- exposure indicators (some have red/green lights) to assure us of correct exposure. This is the camera's way to give you correct exposure.

The next thing to do is to try and overide it to fool the camera to under expose predominantly black subjects and over expose predominantly white subjects. Using a host of options in your SLR camera in manual mode and short of doing a custom WB, you can change shutter speed, aperture, ISO, do exposure compensation, and or bracket. There is no hard set rule for over/under exposures so experimantation is necessary.

Here are some learning photos of which I tried to go over what the camera deemed as proper exposure.

Our abnormal :D winterry conditions today gave me opportunity to try out what I've read...

*** Not retouched just re-sized for the sake of experimentation and sharing. ISO and Shutterspeed held constant.

A.1. Snowy Tree grove... (Camera says f/7.1 is right exposure)

post-58970-1259969179.jpg

A.2. Result when I dialed wider at f/5.6 (the exp meter was showing over exp)

post-58970-1259969169.jpg

B.1 Here's a field that that got white-out. (Camera says f/11.0 is right exposure)

post-58970-1259969212.jpg

B.2 Here's what I got when dialed wider at f/9.0 (the exp meter was showing over exp)

post-58970-1259969193.jpg

You be the judge but for me the purposedly over exposed ones are whiter and sure enough the ones that the camera say correct exposures are indeed gray-ish. Surprisinlgy the histograms of the over exp shots are well within the normal and expected distribution and away from the right (blown-highlights region)

Inputs and feedback for a lively discussion are welcome and even encouraged :D

Cheers!

My college prof in photography used to tell us not to rely on the “camera’s eye” too much. This was the time when SLRs did not have its own light meter and we had to use a separate hand held one to check our lights.

The camera’s presets are there as an aid and a point for us to start whenever we shoot. In the end its’ still how we perceive the picture that will ultimately decide what looks right and what looks great. :thumbsupsmiley:

With that said the “over exposed” ones are whiter and seems to capture the effect more. Nice shooting bro! :cool:

Edited by Shinobi
My college prof in photography used to tell us not to rely on the “camera’s eye” too much. This was the time when SLRs did not have its own light meter and we had to use a separate hand held one to check our lights.

The camera’s presets are there as an aid and a point for us to start whenever we shoot. In the end its’ still how we perceive the picture that will ultimately decide what looks right and what looks great. :thumbsupsmiley:

With that said the “over exposed” ones are whiter and seems to capture the effect more. Nice shooting bro! :cool:

kaya sometimes it is better to shoot in RAW para mas flexible .. i also hate those "blinking" highlights knowing that wala na ko control doon kasi nga "sunog" na..

Or better yet Bracket shoot most of improtant image na kailangan para mas SAFE!

. . .

BTW.. may ikekwento me.... Ngpunta me sa isang mall sa singapore together with my frend VicUngasis (FUNAN- The IT Mall)....

and guess what... nabadtrip me sa isang store dun... ung SONG BROTHERS... tumutingin me ng mga camera at acc.

tapos itong insketo nagsalita na.... stop monkeying around.....

eh tumitingin nga me... bka ksi may magustuhan me.....

mgtatanong sna me ng price nung flash pero nabadtrip na me sa cnv ng instik na un....

nawala tuloy ang gana ko na bumili.... bibili sna me ng lens.. nakakainis ang store na ito.... pag pumunta u sa singapore....

iwasan u ang store na to.... di maganda ang ugali ng instik.....

hindi masyadong click ang SONG BROS pag dating sa DSLR dito sa SG. if you want a best buy deal go to SLR Evo, 5th level harap ng J 3:16. sila ngayon ang patok sa murang prce.

anyway, i had the same experience sa Sim Lim, para bang galit sila pag nagtanong ka, eh tayo pa naman syempre gusto yung mura. gusto nila bili ka agad. muntik na ko mapa away dyan kung di ko lang kasama si kumander pinatulan ko yung behong seller dun.

• 3 weeks later...

photography is really not for everyone. i mean, anyone can pickup a point and shoot nowadays and practically shoot anything they point at and let the camera do the rest. however, IMHO, photography in its true sense goes beyond that. one should be truly passionate about it to understand what it means whenever you're looking behind a viewfinder. photography needs to be studied and at least for me, photography becomes a way of life. it's amazing how you look at things quite differently once you know its art and principles.

almost everyone can take snapshots. but only photographers can make great images.

photography is really not for everyone. i mean, anyone can pickup a point and shoot nowadays and practically shoot anything they point at and let the camera do the rest. however, IMHO, photography in its true sense goes beyond that. one should be truly passionate about it to understand what it means whenever you're looking behind a viewfinder. photography needs to be studied and at least for me, photography becomes a way of life. it's amazing how you look at things quite differently once you know its art and principles.

almost everyone can take snapshots. but only photographers can make great images.

I bet to disagree on this Saer..

Photography can be for everyone......everybody can look at the subject in different point of views... a good Photograph doesn't necessarily mean that it should be a Perfect picture...

Maybe what can we imply is Not everyone must be paid on taking pictures....some Photographers charge their clients way too much pero SO-So lang naman ang gears... Some binabandera pa diploma from exclusive Photography schools .. pero sa Hobbyist lang tanong ng tanong...

Remember that even deaf can produce great melodies.... what so more a Newbie/Hobbyist can produce a Spectacular Image.....

Just my two cents :)

Study it... read from it... at the end of the day ... your "snapshot" will say everything !

. . .

Anyone here still into FILM/ANALOG PHOTOGRAPHY? I think most aspiring "photographers" are just jumping into the DSLR fad, and not really into photography itself. I'm still into the beginners level. Sana meron ditong marunong magturo ng mga manual adjustments, and especially FILM DEVELOPING. I really wanna develop my own B&W pics!

A friend of mine will be conducting a black and white film developing and printing. This will be held this coming Saturday, January 10 from 9 am - 5 pm near Blumenttrit corner Espana in Sampaloc Manila.

Minimum of 3 participants and maximum of 6 participants. Requirement is to bring an exposed, undevelop roll of black and white film, any brand, any ASA, 120 or 135.

Free chemical and photo paper. First come first serve.

Email me at altaroflion@yahoo.com for those interested.

Ariel Tresvalles

Marketing Services Manager

FUJIFILM / YKL Incorporated

Anyone here still into FILM/ANALOG PHOTOGRAPHY? I think most aspiring "photographers" are just jumping into the DSLR fad, and not really into photography itself. I'm still into the beginners level. Sana meron ditong marunong magturo ng mga manual adjustments, and especially FILM DEVELOPING. I really wanna develop my own B&W pics!

oooh this takes me back. the UP film Center used to have a regular class about this. manual everything, from photo shooting to the finished pictures.

i loved it.

maybe you can check if they're still offering this kind of class?

sadly i think nothing can stop film and analog photography from its extinction

i put my vivitar manual camera for sale here at MTC and nobody wants it hehe

• 3 weeks later...

My friend though the technology might have changed, the medium remains the same -- light. Using a DSLR doesn't mean you're not passionate about photography. But if you insist, try telling that to the guys over NASA who bought 30 pieces of Nikon D3s with a Nikon 14-24 mm f/2.8 AF-S lens or the official photographers of National Geographic using D3x.

Whether you're into Film or Digital, it boils down to both preference and convenience. The principles of photography nevertheless remains the same. If you do not understand what you're doing even if you're using a DSLR, you won't get great pictures. Ang hirap kasi sa atin, maraming epal na "feeling photographer" coz they have DSLRs strapped around their necks. Ayun it just became another status symbol since these things are rather expensive. Its pathetic really.

Also it just so happens that Digital is more convenient than film. For example an 8GB HC-SD card (roughly the size of a wrigley's juicy fruit gum) can produce over 600 12-bit RAW Images. In analog terms, its equivalent to around 18 pieces of 36-shot film. You wouldn't carry that amount of film when you do a photoshoot will you?

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting in manual mode gives you ultimate control over your camera's mechanical functions which in turn gives you greater creative flexibility. The first step in understanding manual functions is to understand the three most important elements of your camera.

Three Factors To Proper Exposure:

There are three camera factors that determine proper exposure; ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed. If shooting on 'auto' mode, your camera determines these three settings automatically (hence,the auto!) so when shooting in manual mode these settings must be set manually. These three settings are linked and there is a reciprocal relationship between the three of them.

All three settings must be properly set in order for a correct exposure to occur. Below is an explanation of each camera function and how to utilize it in 'manual' mode.

1) ISO

The camera's ISO setting determines how sensitive to light the sensor will be. ISO settings are represented by numbers, typically 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600. The lower the number, the LESS sensitive the sensor will be. Higher number, the MORE sensitive to light the sensor will be.This means that if you set your camera to ISO 100, you will need MORE light because the sensor is LESS sensitive. Vice Versa. If you set it to ISO 1600, you will need LESS light because the sensor is MORE sensitive.

I think I know what you're thinking: Why not just leave the ISO setting at 1600? More sensitivity means less light is needed which means more flexibility in lighting situations...sounds good right? Wrong.

The higher the ISO number, the more noise the image will have.

Camera noise is caused by high ISO numbers and creates images with distracting 'confetti' looking grain. Definitely not good. I shoot on an ISO of 100, only ever going up as high as ISO 400.

In low light situations, I increase ISO up to 400. In high light situations, I drop back down to 100

The ISO number has a direct effect on the quality of the image, so keep the ISO number low whenever possible!

2) Aperture

Once the ISO is set you can start taking pictures by adjusting the aperture and shutter speed. The aperture controls the brightness of the light entering the camera. The aperture works like the pupil of an eye, enlarging or contracting to let in more or less light into the camera. The aperture has another series of numbers called F-Stops that correlate with the size of the opening.....and here's where it can get confusing:

The larger the f-stop NUMBER, the SMALLER the SIZE of the f-stop OPENING. And vice versa. The smaller the f-stop NUMBER, the LARGER the SIZE of the f-stop OPENING.

F-stop numbers will vary according to the type of lens you have, but will usually include these: f/22, f/16, f/11, f/8, f/5.6, f/4. f/2.

Smaller f-stop numbers will give you MORE light, while larger f-stop numbers will give you LESS light.

So in a given lighting situation if the exposure needs more light all you do is 'open up', meaning change the f-stop to a bigger opening to let in more light. If the exposure has too much light, 'stop down'. Change the f-stop to a smaller opening.

3) Shutter Speed

Shutter speed controls the amount of time the shutter stays open therefore controlling the length of exposure.

The longer the shutter stays open, the MORE light will reach the sensor. And vice versa. The shorter the shutter stays open, the LESS amount of light will reach the sensor.

Like f-stops, shutter speed effects exposure by controlling the amount of light that reaches the sensor, only with shutter speeds the amount is controlled by TIME as opposed to the aperture which is controlled by SIZE.

Shutter speeds are represented by numbers (again) varying by camera but most sharing these basic speeds: 2, 4, 8, 15, 30, 60, 125, 250, 500.

Lower numbers are considered SLOW shutters which produce MORE light, and higher numbers are considered FAST shutters producing LESS light.

The benefit of slow shutters is that they let in more light but the drawback is that slow shutters tend to produce blurry pictures. The standard shutter to start with is a 60th. If you need more exposure you can drop down to a 30th.

When shooting with shutter speed slower than a 60th, always use a tripod.

Anything slower than a 60th cannot be hand-held or else you will have blurry images caused by camera shake.

Sana nakatulong kahit papano Enjoy!!!

Edited by 1shooter
10 answers to your 10 reasons NOT to become a professional photographer

1. Running a photography business has little to do with photography...

- of course photography in the most basic sense is considered an art form and people who take part in this are artists with a keen eye and a creative streak. Most artists are no businessmen and most of the time takes no heed of the costs rather they focus on the outcome of their work. The camera and the lens is the brush and the world is the canvas and a photographer’s goal is to capture this for posterity. It’s not a job it’s a passion and going pro is just one way of making your mark as an artist.

2. You can earn more working full time at Starbucks...

- Its not a question of making more. Consider a painter or a sculptor, how much do you think they earn? Do you think that when you see their works mounted on a frame that they sell like hotcakes? And when you say that you go pro do you honestly believe that photography will be the only thing that you do ALL THE TIME? Honestly parang hindi ka pinoy. Most Filipino artists’ right now do have regular jobs. They don’t sit down all day painting and sculpting. I have four kids that go to school and I pay rent but I still find the time to go out of town to shoot or draw and occasionally to write. Creativity is inherent in any artist. So if you say your “too busy” to do anything creative, then think again… your not an artist.

3. Your workweek is almost twice as long as the average person’s...

-so what? That’s the price you pay for your passion, for the art. Honestly if you can’t give time to do something that you love why bother? Craft and artistry is an ongoing learning process and the only time it ends is when your life does. There is always something new when you look through the lens and no matter how many lifetimes you go through you will never ever capture life in its entirety. But that’s the fun of it! Whatever you catch on film is a snippet of a time that will never come again.

4. Weekends are work days...

- true but do you think that because we miss out on these things that the time we spend behind the camera is not a happy day? Again my friend if you stop copy pasting articles from the net and pick up a camera and actually shoot you will never understand.

5. You get to pay for your own health insurance...

- interestingly enough statistics here in the Philippines already shows that only two out of ten Filipino’s have a functional health benefit and why would I need a 401k I don’t even live in the Younited Estates of Hamerica to be bothered by retirement plans. Again how many Filipino’s here actually have a retirement plan? Subsidized education? Why do you think our students end up joining the New People’s Army? The College of Fine Arts in U.P. Diliman used to be populated by students with farmer parents or from poor families now it’s populated by a parking lot full of cars since only the rich can afford the exorbitantly high cost of education. (no offence to my fellows in FA it’s just sad that that’s been the case with education nowadays)

6. You get to pay for your own equipment!

- ahh equipment, of course it is expensive. Tools are a necessity for any creative endeavor. But it does not automatically equate to being better at what you do. The equipment that you have only extends the creative boundaries but the lack of equipment does not limit it! As an artist I can compare with any photographer here using a Canon EOS with my photos shot using my NOKIA N-73! That’s how confident I am with my craft. Worried about software? I can go to Greenhills and buy a dozen graphic media at about 100 pesos a piece. And there are tons of free ware on the internet that you can download and use. Not to mention second hand photographic gear and peripherals that you can now get at cheaper prices. Ever heard of Hidalgo? Plus if you are part of a group you buy stuff as a group and share them around. That cuts your costs down; everybody knows this except you of course.

7. It’s easy to book jobs if you’re only charging $2-3k/wedding...

- my answer to point number 2 covers this more or less…

8. The immigrants weekend warriors are coming to take over your job!

- this I say will boil down to the quality of work that you can come up with. Anybody on this thread knows that anyone can pick up a half decent camera then point and shoot (sadly your one of them I’m sure). You jump and scream… hooray! I took a picture! But are you any good? In any type of endeavor there is always competition and that’s what makes it good because it pushes you to be unique to be different. It keeps you on your toes and makes you aware of the things that you have to improve on. Besides ganyan naman talaga dito sa atin. Ngayon magtayo ka ng barbikyuhan bukas makalawa apat na kayo na magkakatabi! The only difference na lang is how you make the sauce or kung mas marami at malaman ba ang barbikyu mo or kung yung hotdog na binebenta mo ay “tender juicy”. If you cant keep up with the competition then we all end up like you copy pasting negative articles to this thread.

9. Most people cannot tell the difference between great and average photography...

- I have to say you are wrong… kawawa ka naman para kang walang friends if you think people have no way of knowing a good job and an exceptional piece of work! Part of your statement is true if your work is just average. Pero kaya nga sya learning experience eh. (Pasensya ka na kung hindi kami pinanganak na naglalakad at may bigote na katulad mo) Everybody has to start from scratch somewhere, knowing that along the way you should be able to accept any criticism regarding your work and that you would need to improve on them.

10. Most never make it...

- let me guess… you’re a statistic… a person who has lost to all of the negative things stated above. A person whose dreams was shattered and turned only to frustration… now bitter and sad that all his creativity has gone all to waste. Nobody appreciates his artistic work so he has stopped and is content at sitting behind his desk job for the rest of his life. Content with his 401 when he gets old and his Starbucks salary and his benefits, Well good for you! I extend my condolences.

To most of us who’s heads are still in the clouds keep your feet on the ground and don’t let anyone say that your dreams are just a bunch of bull! Living your life is so much-much better than just surviving.

Lets keep this thread going peeps! :thumbsupsmiley:

ditto! :thumbsupsmiley:

Though reading this reminded me of a thread I browsed weeks ago about a photographer who charges 2K/event.

Hi guys! Ask ko lang saan ba okay mag enrol? I wanted to learn basic photography first. Saan kaya murang mag enrol? Thanks in Advance po.

You can always watch some basic tutorials sa Youtube. read some ebooks or better yet buy some Photography books.

Pwede ka ring sumama sa mga Photowalks usually during weekends.. para makamingle at magkaroon ng direct or actual tutorials on some basics.

Tapos enjoy the hobby pitik lang ng pitik!

Silip, Kompose , Pokus , PITIK!

Enjoy!

from recent Photowalk @ Ongpin/Chinese New Year

KUNG HEI FAT CHOI!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4355287631_2fd91248b0.jpg

@six_feet_deep

Google nyo po

Tay Hua

. . .

Edited by royginald
You can always watch some basic tutorials sa Youtube. read some ebooks or better yet buy some Photography books.

Pwede ka ring sumama sa mga Photowalks usually during weekends.. para makamingle at magkaroon ng direct or actual tutorials on some basics.

Tapos enjoy the hobby pitik lang ng pitik!

Silip, Kompose , Pokus , PITIK!

Enjoy!

from recent Photowalk @ Ongpin/Chinese New Year

KUNG HEI FAT CHOI!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4355287631_2fd91248b0.jpg

@six_feet_deep

Google nyo po

Tay Hua

. . .

thanks boss!!! nakita ko na!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I used to do film photography.

I miss taking pictures and waiting for the outcome.

oh! +1 to this! im turning of the image review in my DSLR. i want this feeling. haha the closest i can get is just waiting for the pics on my pc. i just got into photography and i just realized that the joy and surprise of film developing is part of it.

• 2 weeks later...