Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

Totally disagree with engro when he says that no point n shoot or prosumer can top a dslr.

The canon g9 is used as a "digital polaroid" by film photographers after polaroid went kerplunk. The sheer ability of this prosumer "point n shoot" make it worth every cent.

You dont see professionals measurbating their equipment, and it means s@%t if you can't produce. Would really love to see the work of some of the more influential posters of this thread ;)

maski ano clase kamera mo....even a 3.2megapixel cellphone camera if magaling ang kuha at magaling ang post processing...maganda ang resulta....

do not depend much on your tools.....make do with what u have......

ika nga sabi ng master of photography...."wala yan sa pana...nasa indian yan........"

Totally disagree with engro when he says that no point n shoot or prosumer can top a dslr.

The canon g9 is used as a "digital polaroid" by film photographers after polaroid went kerplunk. The sheer ability of this prosumer "point n shoot" make it worth every cent.

You dont see professionals measurbating their equipment, and it means s@%t if you can't produce. Would really love to see the work of some of the more influential posters of this thread ;)

maski ano clase kamera mo....even a 3.2megapixel cellphone camera if magaling ang kuha at magaling ang post processing...maganda ang resulta....

do not depend much on your tools.....make do with what u have......

ika nga sabi ng master of photography...."wala yan sa pana...nasa indian yan........"

Hence my point that newbies and hobbyists to start with a good prosumer FIRST that will enable them to LEARN the subtle intricacies of photography. I have had a 2.0 and 4.0 MP camera and a table lamp that gave me good shots (resolutions the main problem). Now that I got a "mid-range" prosumer, I'm struggling with the settings. What more a full-pledge dSLR?

Then again, if you've got money to burn, there's no stopping anyone from getting the top-of-the-line models, just to show off...

It shouldnt boil down to money if it's a hobby you enjoy. Not sure how things work here, but a lotta people do seem to enjoy bragging.

No offense meants, but I dont get what settings you could be struggling with, photography is as easy as 1-2-3 when you claim to have been shooting for such a long time ;)

It shouldnt boil down to money if it's a hobby you enjoy. Not sure how things work here, but a lotta people do seem to enjoy bragging.

Some do. Hence My advice for hobbyists to GET the basics first.

No offense meants, but I dont get what settings you could be struggling with, photography is as easy as 1-2-3 when you claim to have been shooting for such a long time ;)

It is, but it's kind of different migrating from film to point-and-shoot to a prosumer one with LOTS of settings. My shots have become more unpredictable, since what I see on the LCD is not what comes out on the photo. I was more comfortable using the viewfinder, as I have when I was still using film, and what I see in the frame is what actually comes out.

You see, I like experimenting with single light source photography. Light and shadow, kind of effect. I'm "stuggling" more on what settings I can use for a certain kind of shot, since with more controls, I get more options. With more options, I get to experiment more. Till there is no end...

I tend to be OC when it comes to that, leaving me with nothing done on the onset.

get it now?

Edited by chunkyhunk
prosumer = most of the time slr like with manula controls. looks more pro than ordinary PnS.

take note: even the best prosumer or slr-like digicam is no match for consumer level dslr.

your right, in a way... given good lighting & and static subjects, even cam phones can take good images.

G9 is a good cam, but not enough for my shooting needs. i shoot mostly fast actions during night.

i said that coz i use to have G9. i wont even trade 300D kit for it.

i'll give you an example

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_g9-review/nightshot-crop.jpg

G9 iso 80

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/digital_rebel_xti-review/nightshot1600-crop.jpg

400D iso1600

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/eos_40d-review/nightshot3200-crop.jpg

40D iso3200

the lowest iso of G9(80) is more or less better than the highest iso of 400D & 40D. thats unacceptable for me.

not to mention its 1.4fps, it wont even beat the lowly 2.5fps of 300D. what more for the 6.5fps of 40D?

(we're only talking about gears, not the ability of the photographer to take good pictures)

@chunky,

Film or digital, it's always about ISO (Film Speed), Aperture, and Shutter Speed on the camera end.

Yes, that's the one I am "struggling with," Since I stopped using "settings" when I started using PnS cameras. Let's just say that my new prosumer feels like a "second" baby; it's a baby, but it's still a different baby...

@engronairam,

A tad unfair comparing iso 80 to iso3200 now huh? :) They both serve different purposes really.

i know! i deliberately post that to show that the best iso of G9 is comparable more or less to the worst iso of dslr.

then, ill post both worst iso performance.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_g9-review/nightshot1600-crop.jpg

G9 iso 1600

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/eos_40d-review/nightshot1600-crop.jpg

40D iso 1600

if iso noise, shooting speed, & image quality of G9 is enough for you, then go for it. for my needs, its unacceptable.

cant you differentiate the iso shots i posted? thats the best iso of G9 and the worst iso of 40D.

if its not enough for you, heres another iso100 &1600 for both G9 & 40D.

(click the image to enlarge & compare the crayola area)

i shoot night events, specifically concerts. i crank up iso to 1600. i also shoot street candid.

i have nothing gainst G9, its just that it doesnt meet my needs.

i attached 2 sample shots taken at iso1000 by 40D

The pics you posted have been deleted except for the last two.

The size limit for pictures posted on this board is 640 x 480 pixels.

The pics you posted were 4000x3000 pixels.

Resize and repost those pictures; posting pictures that are overly large slows the loading of thread pages.

post-189228-1217383554.jpg

post-189228-1217383614.jpg

Edited by Wyld

we've both proven our point. Notice that the G9 image, at iso100 is clean for many applications

the event photos you posted have been resized and the noise is obviously not as visible. :) But hey, I get what youre saying and do agree that if you cram all those megapixels onto a tiny sensor, you're bound to have noise.