Cellphone Reviews

Thank you sir! na overwhelm ako sa dami ng libre iba na syempre referred ng mga tulad nyo na gurus para virus free thanks again sir!

try also www.globe.com.ph but they charge 30 to 50 pesos per game. if you happen to like the game, sulit na!

caveat emptor: www.globe.com.ph is like other websites that sell software. some of the programs may not work with symbian 60 5th edition series. but for the ridiculously priced P 30 to P 50 per, those applications maybe worth risking to buy!

at the other end of the competition, itunes store sells their software at $ 0.99 which is comparable! hmm, mukhang masarap din mag-iphone. nope, 5800 pa rin ako

Edited by remoteworld
firmware v21 is now available for download from www.nokia.com.ph

they will warn you to backup everything in your cellphone and memory card before updating. now this is something i want to do but i haven't tried yet. if any of you guys know how to backup the phonelist (almost 500 names), etc. pls post it here

should i remove my memory card before updating the firmware? how can i transfer my phonelist to a temporary card (?) then put them back again after the update? safe kaya? hmmm....

one of the best features of v21 is geotagging. turn on your gps, take a shot, and voila! your picture's exif file will contain the geophysical coordinates, making it easily plottable in googlemaps, etc. v21 is supposed to fix some bugs of the earlier versions. but as an oldhand in programming, i'd say a new version might fix old bugs, but it might also create new ones. hehehe

hehehe, i'm replying again to my own post. anyway, i've been to a nokia center and i was told the v21 is only available for the blue units, i've to wait another week for my red to be upgraded. and yes, their place is willing to upgrade it for me. now that's a relief, they'll do the backing up and restoring. i'm in no hurry for the upgrade, even the geotagging has to wait. right now playing aveyond is my top priority!

... i've been to a nokia center and i was told the v21 is only available for the blue units, i've to wait another week for my red to be upgraded ...

nokia 5800 is available in blue, red and black (dark gray). somehow i fancied the red so it's the one i'm using. kumbaga sa sports cars, sporty-looking ang red color. 'tsaka red means: fight fight fight. you need some motivating elements like that when you wake up in the morning para full of energy ka. sorry sa mga night persons, type A kasi behavior ko, always on the go.

i'm disappointed with the FREE 500 downloads from universal music's malaysian website: the ones i like to download later were no longer there! they've slashed out something like 50% of the downloadable songs and videos. hmm, expect a lot more to disappear. in my case, if both song and video of the same title are available, i go for the video para me video ka na, me song ka pa!

by the way, go to symbiangear.com, select your unit as nokia 5800, then go to languages. somewhere there is a group of FREE tourist phrase packs! YEAH, JAI HO!!!!

i just noticed you're a moderator. hahaha. anyway, we must have met in one of bizman's pakulo wherein he invited wii games to be played.

how to 'videograb' youtube videos and convert them to .mp4? hmmm, are you familiar with video codecs? if not, you have to ask someone who knows, probably someone who studied in sti, that sort of guy. i'm not that sort of guy, my computer education was limited to apple then, when an apple is either II or IIc. yeah, i'm that old.

run your video grabber (surf for free ones) before running youtube, play the video you want before pressing the grabber's hotkey ... after you saved the video (which are in .flv formats), you look for a converter (probably in greenhills) of .flv to .mp4

now, there's about 8 kinds of .mp4 so i play safe by using 450kbps (medium quality). oh, there are also avi/mp4 types which you should avoid ... hmmm, i'm not really the mentor type. hehehe. but if you have the time, why don't we spend drinking somewhere in the quezon avenue area. i don't want to be bribed with a drink to give away secrets but somehow it always work! hahaha

kidding aside, there's a thread in mtc's lifestyle forums about 'saving a youtube video to ipod or iphone'. pls read that. i have a different method than theirs though ...

1. i know how to download/videograb from video sites

2. im familiar with video codecs.

and lastly, im going back to my original question:

3. what app do YOU use to convert video files to mp4 that are compatible with 5800XM or you have to go to greenhills just for them to convert files for you?

i have mine, i just want to test out what others are using to know if it's better than the one i already have. :)

1. i know how to download/videograb from video sites

2. im familiar with video codecs.

and lastly, im going back to my original question:

3. what app do YOU use to convert video files to mp4 that are compatible with 5800XM or you have to go to greenhills just for them to convert files for you?

i have mine, i just want to test out what others are using to know if it's better than the one i already have. :)

bubuy,

i am using replay converter (which offer more quality options for saving) for .flv to .mp4

but to capture the videos from youtube (which has tightened its downloading leniency), i use flash video player.

Edited by remoteworld

Have you tried backing up your phone using the default File Manager in the Applications folder? There is a backup option there

firmware v21 is now available for download from www.nokia.com.ph

they will warn you to backup everything in your cellphone and memory card before updating. now this is something i want to do but i haven't tried yet. if any of you guys know how to backup the phonelist (almost 500 names), etc. pls post it here

should i remove my memory card before updating the firmware? how can i transfer my phonelist to a temporary card (?) then put them back again after the update? safe kaya? hmmm....

Have you tried backing up your phone using the default File Manager in the Applications folder? There is a backup option there

i saw that option and i did just that before deciding to update my firmware. hayyy, hope my decision is right: so far v11 has never given me a major problem ...

this afternoon, to check if my fears are unfounded, i went to t. morato's nokia center. they told me to leave my phone and memory card so they can process the update of firmware. they gave me back my phone cover, battery and simcard. they gave me a long explanation why it's necessary to leave them overnight: it takes more than 3 hours to update and check, and recheck blah blah blah ...

i was further told my phonelist with 481 contacts will be restored afterwards by their system, that i have to reenter wifi passwords again, that i have to reinstall programs to my 'newly-erased' memcard, etc.

so now i'm crossing my fingers that the update won't create monsters inside my phone. hmmm, 24 hours without my 5800 ... re-install all the software on the memcard they will reformat but reload with original videos and songs ... i think i'm going crazy for this waiting game

Edited by remoteworld

Actually, you can update the firmware update yourself, no need for the Nokia Care Center to do that for you (Make sure you have the latest version of Nokia Software Updater)

Updating the firmware takes 2-3 hrs tops

Just make sure your net connection is fast :)

i saw that option and i did just that before deciding to update my firmware. hayyy, hope my decision is right: so far v11 has never given me a major problem ...

this afternoon, to check if my fears are unfounded, i went to t. morato's nokia center. they told me to leave my phone and memory card so they can process the update of firmware. they gave me back my phone cover, battery and simcard. they gave me a long explanation why it's necessary to leave them overnight: it takes more than 3 hours to update and check, and recheck blah blah blah ...

i was further told my phonelist with 481 contacts will be restored afterwards by their system, that i have to reenter wifi passwords again, that i have to reinstall programs to my 'newly-erased' memcard, etc.

so now i'm crossing my fingers that the update won't create monsters inside my phone. hmmm, 24 hours without my 5800 ... re-install all the software on the memcard they will reformat but reload with original videos and songs ... i think i'm going crazy for this waiting game

Edited by orionpax
Actually, you can update the firmware update yourself, no need for the Nokia Care Center to do that for you (Make sure you have the latest version of Nokia Software Updater)

Updating the firmware takes 2-3 hrs tops

Just make sure your net connection is fast :)

well, that's the first thing i tried. but the updater couldn't detect my phone although i can use it anytime as a mass storage device. last resort, i decided to play safe by bringing it to a nokia center. i have a suspicion i'm using a faulty usb cable. i have a friend who has a similar problem. at least we have someone to point our forefinger to in case something gets messed up

just a question: is it true that updating will reformat your mmc?

Edited by remoteworld
Guest Dobermaxx

I updated to v21 a little over a week ago via software updater, no hassles no issues. The touchscreen response is a lot better now which is a good enough reason to do the update. The music player is still crappy though, so i'm using Mobifactor PowerMP3 which is an excellent player. Still no DivX support though. :(

Depende kasi sa gamit mo ng phone kung puros surfing and using itunes ka ay go for the iphone. E71 is a busines phone, i cant save lots of my documents here, pwede din ang power point presentation. :headsetsmiley:

sorry sir centrino, nagkamali sa typing, CAN save lots of my ducuments. :hypocritesmiley:

I updated to v21 a little over a week ago via software updater, no hassles no issues. The touchscreen response is a lot better now which is a good enough reason to do the update. The music player is still crappy though, so i'm using Mobifactor PowerMP3 which is an excellent player. Still no DivX support though. :(

although firmware v21 was available since april (some of my gps friends immediately updated v20 and their units got bricked), nokia released it in their sites only recently after making series of tests to prove its worth.

sir tempest21, nokia t.morato is not knowledgeable how to add chinese or any other language than english and pilipino in our locally-bought 5800. after upgrading to v21, i noticed there's now a dictionary in the 'applications'. the dictionary will further permit you to download chinese and other language dictionaries. i downloaded the chinese, but on the place of characters, i get rectangles of the translations. you can hear a native speaker reading those rectangles though. i think we lack 'one more level to be there'! no problems with french and other latin-based languages.

Edited by remoteworld

iphone is one great phone.

try browsing iphonestore and you'll bewildered by its quantity of quality software, the forte of apple.

5800 is one great phone too. i have lauded its features since i started posting in this forum. but software is still wanting.

now here's a page from SMARTPHONE & PDA (British Ed.), issue 88 (June '09):

post-149034-1245494876.jpg

Edited by remoteworld