Cellphone Reviews

Best phones i used is the Nokia N82...no current N Series phone can top it, next is the Nokia 5800 XM :D

the latest issue of Smartphone & PDA Essentials (British magazine) cited Nokia 5800 as the winner in its

Head-to-Head: Best Multimedia Cellphone.

nokia 5800 bested the following reviewed phones:

Blackberry Storm

Samsung Tocco Ultra

T-Mobile G1

it's a funny fact that the businessman in us uses a low end computer and a low end cellphone for business, then he gives his high end computer for his kids (who require fast gaming graphics) and his hightech cellphone as a toy. i know a lot of big businessmen who still use 3210 (!) while their N95 (which came free with a plan, and perhaps too complicated for them to use) were immediately given to their kids to use.

in my case, i use MyPhone Duo (which came free with a plan) for business. i bought my Nokia 5800 for leisure (gps, reading, playing and watching my favorite dvd movies) and backup.

the latest issue of Smartphone & PDA Essentials (British magazine) cited Nokia 5800 as the winner in its

Blackberry Storm

Samsung Tocco Ultra

T-Mobile G1

but then again, to each his own hehehe

Blackberry Storm

Samsung Tocco Ultra

T-Mobile G1

but then again, to each his own hehehe

sir remoteworld

how much to sa labas?

planning to buy one hehe

How would you compare this phone to the N6600 slide ?

hi sir richmond, nokia 5800xm is a s60v5 platform and nokia 6600 slide is a s40 platform

kung mahilig ka sa softwares and games, i would personally recommend nokia 5800xm

plus may wi-fi po itong 5800

kung music lang ang habol nio pwede itong nokia 6600 slide

wala po itong wifi

Nokia 5800 XM is a Smartphone running in Symbian series 60 (latest version), the OS of the Samsung Omnia HD, at par with most N Series Phones where you can download tons of apps and games (sis and java )

The 6600 Slide is a Symbian series 40 phone much like the 3120 Classic, the 7210, the 5310 XM

How would you compare this phone to the N6600 slide ?

ive had my Black Edition (v21) for 6 days now and im very happy. i havent experienced any problem with it so far (fingers x-ed).

installed the ff. apps on my unit:

1. accuweather

2. fring - for skype purposes. call reception is very clear kahit GPRS connection lang, much more if you're connected via wi-fi.

3. google maps - the GPS tracker is quite accurate, it is able to detect your exact location within a 40m radius. the maps are of high quality, pwede na road guide (at least in the country im at)

4. opera mini - i always prefer this from the built-in browser

5. phonetorch

6. quickoffice

all in all, if you have a tight budget and you want a touchscreen phone (among other things), the N5800 is the way to go. sometimes tinatamad na ako magboot up ng laptop and i just use my phone to browse the net and connect to IMs because of this phone!!! :lol: meron pang free voucher to download 100 songs, di ko pa nagagamit. hehehe.

saka na ako gagawa ng full review (kung sipagin pa), di pa nagiinit sa kamay ko. :P

sir remoteworld

how much to sa labas?

planning to buy one hehe

are you serious? you've got a great phone already, sir.

i was only justifying my purchase of the unit so i posted the predominance of 5800's good points over the bad points. yeah, i'm that stupid: i read more about 5800 after i bought it! hahaha. got mine last april 25th at 15,400 in celltex greenhills (theatre mall) but now i know its running price is 15k and below. the price keeps getting lower, not because it has problems, because it's like any electronic product.

fyi, nokia has opened its www.store.ovi.com to distribute free and almost-free applications. there are some german websites that give away free 5800 software (especially games). in my case, i browse the software offered in some snobbish symbian website, pick the ones i like, then i try to find them in websites that sell the software in much cheaper prices. one software that i would like best to run in my unit is 'marble maze'. i've tried many ways to install it (one snobbish website is selling it for download, but it won't allow purchases from philippine-based mastercard or visa) like using a genuine indian sim and changing my timezone to new delhi, sending my unit to u.s. and have the stewardess install it using her u.s.-based sim, etc. i hope someday it will be available for purchase here. i like its demo version of 2 levels so much i'm obsessed to get the full 100-level version.

'torch' is better than 'flashlight' (from store.ovi.com). it's one of the 4 shortcuts in my home screen (the other three are 'speed' dial', 'calculator', and 'messaging').

that 8Gig mini-sd card is not enough for me. aside from movies (the whole avatar:the last airbender series, 3's company) my unit has 6 (free!) travel phrasebooks in french, italian, etc. i loaded it also with 4 audiobooks (all light comedy like 'burglars can't be choosers'). someday i might listen to them. hehehe

but seriously, a 5800 (nicknamed 'the tube', i don't know why) is a great companion at those times when you have none.

Aside from the stylish metallic look, can somebody tell my why I should buy the e71 against the much much lower priced e63? I am planning to buy but I just want to make sure that the price difference will not just go into the looks. I can get an e63 for as low as 9k brand new. The e71 is more or less around 20k (not sure). Thats a big amount to pay for just looks, right? Please advice... Thanks!

Aside from the stylish metallic look, can somebody tell my why I should buy the e71 against the much much lower priced e63? I am planning to buy but I just want to make sure that the price difference will not just go into the looks. I can get an e63 for as low as 9k brand new. The e71 is more or less around 20k (not sure). Thats a big amount to pay for just looks, right? Please advice... Thanks!

go for the E63... its features are almost the same with the E71....

go for the E63... its features are almost the same with the E71....

lol.. thanks for the quick and direct to the point reply. natawa naman ako dito, parang di ako binigyan ng pag asang mag isip kung ano dapat bilin ko. If there's somebody out there who wants to share more opinion, please do so. Thanks.

wow 15,000 gran nalang? i bought mine last feb, for 19,000. v.11.. sucks no updates coming out yet for my phones version. can't use the front camera, and install latest app. like light saber. but its a good phone. web browsing, it has rss feeds.. camera isn't that big of a deal though.

wow 15,000 gran nalang? i bought mine last feb, for 19,000. v.11.. sucks no updates coming out yet for my phones version. can't use the front camera, and install latest app. like light saber. but its a good phone. web browsing, it has rss feeds.. camera isn't that big of a deal though.

so far i have no major complaint on v11. there are websites offering v20 and v21 upgrades but i refrained because there might be more harm than good they will bring.

i seldom use it to watch youtube. what i do i watch the videos i like in youtube, 'videograb' them, then convert them to .mp4 which i can watch again and again in 5800

mga gurus sir san maganda magload po ng nokia 5800 compatible games na free? thanks po

um, subjective kasi, kung ano ang 'maganda' sa akin, possible na 'pangit' naman sa iba.

try www.store.ovi.com or nokia.com.hk, both of them offer free applications for download ... to name a few. part of the fun in having is finding. kaya surf ka lang ng surf !

what app do you use to convert vids to mp4?

i just noticed you're a moderator. hahaha. anyway, we must have met in one of bizman's pakulo wherein he invited wii games to be played.

how to 'videograb' youtube videos and convert them to .mp4? hmmm, are you familiar with video codecs? if not, you have to ask someone who knows, probably someone who studied in sti, that sort of guy. i'm not that sort of guy, my computer education was limited to apple then, when an apple is either II or IIc. yeah, i'm that old.

run your video grabber (surf for free ones) before running youtube, play the video you want before pressing the grabber's hotkey ... after you saved the video (which are in .flv formats), you look for a converter (probably in greenhills) of .flv to .mp4

now, there's about 8 kinds of .mp4 so i play safe by using 450kbps (medium quality). oh, there are also avi/mp4 types which you should avoid ... hmmm, i'm not really the mentor type. hehehe. but if you have the time, why don't we spend drinking somewhere in the quezon avenue area. i don't want to be bribed with a drink to give away secrets but somehow it always work! hahaha

kidding aside, there's a thread in mtc's lifestyle forums about 'saving a youtube video to ipod or iphone'. pls read that. i have a different method than theirs though ...

Edited by remoteworld
um, subjective kasi, kung ano ang 'maganda' sa akin, possible na 'pangit' naman sa iba.

try www.store.ovi.com or nokia.com.hk, both of them offer free applications for download ... to name a few. part of the fun in having is finding. kaya surf ka lang ng surf !

Thank you sir! na overwhelm ako sa dami ng libre iba na syempre referred ng mga tulad nyo na gurus para virus free thanks again sir!

i bought my nokia n82 for only 9500, without box manual etc

lahat ng phone ko galing sa mom ko ,

ive been wanting to buy myself a brand new phone ever since..

so if ever im gonna buy one..its nokia 5800

hehehe

if you ever buy one, upgrade it to the latest firmware first (v21) before saving your phone list, etc.

then you activate your umobile account, add software and songs, etc.

good luck, young sir. for me 5800 fits in my lifestyle, i hope it suits you too

firmware v21 is now available for download from www.nokia.com.ph

they will warn you to backup everything in your cellphone and memory card before updating. now this is something i want to do but i haven't tried yet. if any of you guys know how to backup the phonelist (almost 500 names), etc. pls post it here

should i remove my memory card before updating the firmware? how can i transfer my phonelist to a temporary card (?) then put them back again after the update? safe kaya? hmmm....

one of the best features of v21 is geotagging. turn on your gps, take a shot, and voila! your picture's exif file will contain the geophysical coordinates, making it easily plottable in googlemaps, etc. v21 is supposed to fix some bugs of the earlier versions. but as an oldhand in programming, i'd say a new version might fix old bugs, but it might also create new ones. hehehe

firmware v21 is now available for download from www.nokia.com.ph

they will warn you to backup everything in your cellphone and memory card before updating. now this is something i want to do but i haven't tried yet. if any of you guys know how to backup the phonelist (almost 500 names), etc. pls post it here

should i remove my memory card before updating the firmware? how can i transfer my phonelist to a temporary card (?) then put them back again after the update? safe kaya? hmmm....

one of the best features of v21 is geotagging. turn on your gps, take a shot, and voila! your picture's exif file will contain the geophysical coordinates, making it easily plottable in googlemaps, etc. v21 is supposed to fix some bugs of the earlier versions. but as an oldhand in programming, i'd say a new version might fix old bugs, but it might also create new ones. hehehe

sir RW

can your phone read and write chinese characters?

sir RW

can your phone read and write chinese characters?

i haven't tried installing any language pack that will support languages other than english. so the chinese title in my mahjong game are simply 2 upright rectangles. it never occurred to me to improve it.

i'll check nokia.com.hk how to install chinese. libre lang naman mga yan.