Military Literature

one of the first books that i read was executive orders from tom clancy. these was way way before 9/11. in the book, it tells of a story o a japanese jetliner crashing on washingtons capiton hill killing the president and congressmen, practically all heads of us goverment....call it prophecy? sobra galing ni tom clancy. love all bhis work na nandun si jack ryan.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finishing Max Hastings' book "Nemesis: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45 (HarperPress [uK], October 2007) ISBN 0-00-7219822 (re-titled Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45 for US release)".

Well-researched, but not in-depth enough in some parts. He obviously did only secondary research for the Philippines chapters, whereas he did interviews for the China / Burma / Japan chapters..

His treatment of MacArthur is contradictory, excoriating him in several paragraphs and yet his description of his behaviour during the surrender and as SCAP in postwar Japan is nothing short of laudatory.

• 3 months later...
You guys like the idea of reading e-books?

depends on where i am and how desperate i am to read the book...

OnT:

best for me still is the Art of War...

i read a book (fiction) that was set during the Battle of the Bulge, back when i was in high school, but i can't remember the title right now... that was the best fiction i've read with respect to war (so far)

just finished the armies of george patton , and the stuka pilot by rudel, german pilot during world war 2, he got amputated, more than 2000 hrs of flyinh time in a stuka, moldy na the book but it was a good one

Hans-Ulrich Rudel is a legend. This is his combat record:

Rudel flew 2,530 combat missions and successfully attacked many tanks, trains, ships, and other ground targets, claiming a total of 2,000 targets destroyed - including 800 vehicles, 519 tanks, 150 artillery guns, a destroyer, two cruisers, one Soviet battleship and nine aircraft which he shot down

Even though he flew a dive bomber, he still was able to shoot down 9 Soviet Aircraft. Also, even after his leg was amputated, he continued to fly and managed to destroy 26 more tanks.

He was though, an unabashed Nazi and supported every policy that the Nazis pursued during the war.

let's play a "what if" game. me first: what if operation amrket garden succeeded? remember, the objective of market garden was to break through into western germany three months ahead of western allies' schedule. it was september 1944. eisenhower's timetable was to "broad front" the germans north to south from the netherlands and denmark, all the way south near the swiss border. timetable was the break into germany by december 1944. so monty hatched a daring plan to snatch three bridges via airborne assault, for the paratroopers to hold those bridges, and let the ground forces pour into germany.

it failed.

had it succeeded, the british 30th armored corp would have driven into germany but would it have gotten far? the 21st army group under monty was the northern-most arm of the western allies' offensive. whereas it was a formidable force, it did not have the same manpower and material as the 12th army group in the center commanded by omar bradley. and the 21st was at the heels of the german 7th army under von runstedt that was fleeing france. the germans could have turned around and met horrocks' 30th corp.

likely scenario, the british beyond arnhem might have bogged down 50 miles into germany and would have needed to wait until december (as originally planned) for the american forces to swing north and make use of the arnhem bridgehead.

Edited by macbolan00
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw that video through internet the other time. Legionnaire Hege is a former Royal Marine who went to France to join the Foreign Legion. The asian guy looks familiar. Saw in the Discovery Channel's Warriors in the French Foreign Legion. His name is Capitaine Ming from China I guess? Saw a much newer video from National Geographic which was originally telecasted in ITV4 United Kingdom the title of the documentary is Tougher than the Rest: Inside the French Foreign Legion which has three episodes and can be seen on google video.

podweed

-that's true, amin was too chickenshit to jump, unfortunately the israelis issued him with the jump wings and never took them back.

-the van damme movie is "legionnaire". utter crap, as is all van damme movies. "march or die" is one of the better ffl movies made. another good one is "beau geste" with gary cooper (based on the novels by p.c wren: beau geste, beau sabreur, beau ideal). "fort sagan" was another ffl movie that was pretty good, by pretty good i mean it had sophie marceau in it, and any movie with sophie marceau is a good movie, even if she makes one with van damme. especially if she takes her clothes off...

-i've got a dvd called "foreign legion" and it follows an english recruit from first sign up through basic training, para trainig with 2rep, up to jungle warfare training in south america. very engrossing. actual quote..."his french suddenly improved after the corporal punched him in the stomach..." there was a couple of asian recruits in the film, but i don't think they were mongolian.

pepper

"gates of fire" is a fantastic read. so are the other pressfield books, "alexander:the virtues of war" about alexander the great; "last of the amazons" theseus, king of athens, in the land of the amazons; "tides of war" alcibiades and the pelopponesian war; "the legend of bagger vance" better known because of the will smith movie. the book just shits all over the film, although charlize theron is a hottie. too bad she didn't take her clothes off. he also wrote a self help book called "the war of art". i haven't read this one yet.

i'm waiting for his newest book to come out, "the afghan campaign" about alexander the great in afghanistan.

there's also a lot of talk about "gates" being made into a movie...

willow

if i remember correctly, wasn't manila the second most destroyed city in ww2, after warsaw? this sounds like an interesting book. is it still available?

another author i'd recommend is joe sacco who wrote the graphic novels "safe area: gorazde", about his time in the balkans during the bosnian war, and "palestine: in the gaza strip" about the intifada and israel's reaction to it.

how about legionnaire by simon murray? now that was one great book, written like only an englishman can.

have trouble finding that book by simon murray?

have read the book of Robert Paul Young's Inside the French Foreign Legion back in 2003 when my uncle from the US arrived bringing his rare and classic collection of books from New York. The book was published in UK back in 1980s. Finding a copy of this book in the Philippines and the US is very hard. Hope Fully Booked Bookstore have some sort of a copy of this.

Edited by D. Sanchez
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let's bump up this thread.

I'm currently reading THE COLLECTED WHAT IF - Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been Volumes one and two. Great read! I just finished John keegan's essay HOW HITLER COULD HAVE WON THE WAR. The answer: Invade the Middle East before going into Russia.

Hey mac good to see you here man!

Let's bump up this thread.

I'm currently reading THE COLLECTED WHAT IF - Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been Volumes one and two. Great read! I just finished John keegan's essay HOW HITLER COULD HAVE WON THE WAR. The answer: Invade the Middle East before going into Russia.

Hey mac good to see you here man!

Hey Hex! Where did you get them from?

Believe it or not, aim still working on those sites you gave me. Btw, how do i get rar?

Sir, I got the book from a visit to a BOOKSALE shop. The one in STARMALL. You're the first I thought of when I got it, and it's too bad it was not an e-book (I could send it via email if it was an ebook). I just know you'll love this book. Medyo makapal yung book and di pa ako finished even a quarter of the way. Many, many interesting articles written by reputable historians. I think maybe I can scan some pages and post. I'll be on the looout for another copy everytime I go to Booksale outlets.

These are the other articles:

What if the army of Senaccherib carried out their seige of Jerusalem and destroyed it? There would be no Judaism, no Christianity, and no Islam. But the army of Senacherib was devastated by a plague.

What if the Persians won at Salamis?

What if Ogadai did not die when he did, and the Mongol Golden Horde continued to penetrate Italy?

What if D-Day failed?

What if Midway ws a disaster for the Allies?

What if the Muslims won at Poitiers?

What if the Emperor Valens won at Adrianople?

What if Alexander died earlier before he became great?

Sir, in order to unpack .rar files, you need to have WINRAR installed in your pc. WINRAR can be downloaded free from downloads.com, just type rar in the search field :lol:

I wish there was an e-book of THE COLLECTED WHAT IF, so that I could share it with you. If I happen to come across another copy I would get it immediately and send to you. It just cost me around 350 pesos :lol:

Amazon lists the 2 volumes, there's more info at these links:

http://www.amazon.com/What-If-Foremost-Mil...d_cp_b_1#reader

http://www.amazon.com/What-If-Eminent-Hist..._b_img_b#reader

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...