Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

Thank you very much for your answer. Looks like I got into this too late. Hopefully, I'd be able to learn how to make my own decals someday or perhaps have someone with that knowhow to do it for me. I'm planning to scartchbuild some AFP Armours next month. For now, will be working on a MIL24 Hind.

Decal printing can be easy once you get the hang of it. It doesnt exactly work like your ordinary decals but if you really need the special markings ...

This used to be my hobby growing up as a kid. Sayang tinapon ng ermats ko ung ibang scale model na ginawa ko.

When I came back to the hobby after 30 years, I found it to be completely different. It was an adult hobby now, with lots of aftermarket stuff like decals, photoetch and resin pieces and there were more paints to choose from. I also left a lot of built kits in the US when I moved back to the Philippines, but I'd rather do my modeling here now, prices of Dragon, Trumpeter and Tamiya kits here are much much lower than in other countries.

Thank you all for the compliments.

:)

Doc,

Speaking of despair... We got this relatively new member. Hes been in the hobby less than 3 years, and he could go head to head with me or Jim or SuperMario anyday. And we'd probably get our a$$es handed to us in a platter. This guy's really good, he doesnt even touch aftermarket parts or photoetch!

Or maybe "good" is an understatement. Im always looking forward to his next project.

We meet in the clubhouse every other month. UP's been our home for the longest time its hard to let go of it. Plus the fishballs are in UP. Maybe Ill invite you over in a meeting scheduled for the clubhouse?

Oh, and thanks for the freezer idea on the PVC. It just might work. Although I dont think Ill be getting another PVC-busted kit.

:D

That guy is pretty impressive! I suppose he builds those wingy things? I guess that means I have no chances of winning this year's nationals harhar. I'd like to see the clubhouse some day, just let me know when it would be alright for me to drop by.

Thank you very much for your answer. Looks like I got into this too late. Hopefully, I'd be able to learn how to make my own decals someday or perhaps have someone with that knowhow to do it for me. I'm planning to scartchbuild some AFP Armours next month. For now, will be working on a MIL24 Hind.

A few years ago, I recall that you needed an Alps printer to make your own decals. Now, you can print your own decals using an inkjet printer on decal paper. There are limitations though, like you can't print white so you'll need to have a white decal sheet, and you have to apply clear paint over the sheet so the colors won't run when you wet it. I haven't been able to find decal paper locally, but I really want to do Philippine Marine vehicles. I already have a hummer, gun truck, a 'Kennedy' jeep and an LVTP5. I can probably ask someone from PMC to give the unit markings in as big a format as possible then reduce it in size for printing. My school has also just bought a color laser printer, and the first thing I thought was using it to print out decals, so now if I could only find some decal paper...

Edited by Dr_PepPeR

Doc,

Id be glad to take you to the clubhouse one of these days. Maybe next month? This month we're meeting at UP so likely next month we'll be meeting in the clubhouse.

Oh, and Scopa decal paper is available in some National Bookstore branches. Last I got some was from National in Mega Mall. Some P375 per pack (about 5 short bond paper-size sheets), good enough for a considerable amount of decals.

You'll need to spray it with clear coat after printing so that the ink wont run when you dip the decal in water.

Speaking of decal paper, I came across a no-brand decal paper from Joli's. It cost about 36 to 37 pesos for a large section (not sure of the size but it's definitely bigger than Scopa). One of our members has the paper now and I asked him to study the characteristics.

If any of you guys have already tried it, I'd really appreciate comments on the performance.

Jun

Doc,

Id be glad to take you to the clubhouse one of these days. Maybe next month? This month we're meeting at UP so likely next month we'll be meeting in the clubhouse.

Oh, and Scopa decal paper is available in some National Bookstore branches. Last I got some was from National in Mega Mall. Some P375 per pack (about 5 short bond paper-size sheets), good enough for a considerable amount of decals.

You'll need to spray it with clear coat after printing so that the ink wont run when you dip the decal in water.

It's still there. I was there lately and I saw it. I didn't take a really good look at it though... I was busy talking to the curator about my job as Project Manager for the ongoing museum construction project with the Philippine Ports Authority - sorry.

From what I saw, it was kept it in good condition.

Jun

A scene from a diorama of mine sometime back. This one is in the AFP museum right now and Im not sure how it is since there are plenty of itchy fingered visitors there. :blush:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/Hourrah5.jpg

Speaking of decal paper, I came across a no-brand decal paper from Joli's. It cost about 36 to 37 pesos for a large section (not sure of the size but it's definitely bigger than Scopa). One of our members has the paper now and I asked him to study the characteristics.

If any of you guys have already tried it, I'd really appreciate comments on the performance.

Jun

Jun,

I remember that Noel has decal paper that goes for as cheap as 15php per A4 size in both clear and white form. I bought some of the clear already and used it. Compared to Scopa (which I used already) this decal paper is much better and cheaper. I have to say it allows for a thinner decal depending on how much clear coat you put on it.

For me 4 to 5 coats is good. 6 to 7 will require a solvaset bath. The "BT" squadron marking on my 1:32 F-15 is printed on the decal sheet. Kulang kasi yung astra decals ko! :(. Overall I recommend it, but only Noel knows the distributor and I believe he intends to keep it as a club secret for now.

Now we have a figure fest here! Cool, now I have to look at my stash of 1/35 figs and work on them. I have stopped showing my completed builds to non-hobbyists. They can't seem to figure out that the models aren't toys and always try to close/open hatches, rotate machine guns, or try to pry off something. Sheesh!

Excellent weathering, Steiner! Very nicely done.

Yeah, I know what you mean about itchy fingers in those places. Ive had several planes with canopies forced close by, err, "ground crews."

Thank you Sir Boelcke!

Ah yes.... "ground crews", those guys are incorrigible. I recall that when we had exhibits without glass cases some years back, that these guys would try to start up the props manually, rotate turrets, check wheel balance, and even take home some of the items!

Models really attract that type of attention whether you put a sign or not.... :thumbsupsmiley:

Thank god for acrylic and glass cases. Wish we also could electrify them a bit too! :upside:

Now we have a figure fest here! Cool, now I have to look at my stash of 1/35 figs and work on them. I have stopped showing my completed builds to non-hobbyists. They can't seem to figure out that the models aren't toys and always try to close/open hatches, rotate machine guns, or try to pry off something. Sheesh!

Dr. Pepper,

I recommend investing in some display cases in that case. Sayang naman kung di mo papakita sa iba yung gawa mo :blush:. Modelers have this desire for their works to be presented and appreciated. What we need to do however, is make sure that the non-hobbyist doesn't tear off something in the process! :lol:

Dr. Pepper,

I recommend investing in some display cases in that case. Sayang naman kung di mo papakita sa iba yung gawa mo :blush:. Modelers have this desire for their works to be presented and appreciated. What we need to do however, is make sure that the non-hobbyist doesn't tear off something in the process! :lol:

My wife once asked if I wanted to have a display case for my models. I told her of course, glass cases with integral non heat lighting in a climate controlled room. she never brought it up again.

What kind of sign?

You toucha my things.... I breaka you face?

Jun

Thank you Sir Boelcke!

Ah yes.... "ground crews", those guys are incorrigible. I recall that when we had exhibits without glass cases some years back, that these guys would try to start up the props manually, rotate turrets, check wheel balance, and even take home some of the items!

Models really attract that type of attention whether you put a sign or not.... :thumbsupsmiley:

Thank god for acrylic and glass cases. Wish we also could electrify them a bit too! :upside:

Thank you Sir Boelcke!

Oh yes, the props. Haay. Almost makes me shed a tear when I recall them dearly departed blades. How may have fallen victim to those who cannot read "Please Do Not Touch."

Doc,

Hey, lets see them figures of yours.

The models.

Scale models, I mean, although if you want to post the other models too then by all means please do.

Oh yes, the props. Haay. Almost makes me shed a tear when I recall them dearly departed blades. How may have fallen victim to those who cannot read "Please Do Not Touch."

Doc,

Hey, lets see them figures of yours.

The models.

Scale models, I mean, although if you want to post the other models too then by all means please do.

The scale models are still in their boxes Herr Boelcke, but I do have some pix of figures that I had some fun with. Perhaps you recognize the place from the background:

post-89110-1247200952.jpg

post-89110-1247201446.jpg

As of this writing, no serious fit issues, goes together relatively well, almost like a Tamiya kit. However it isn't a snap tite, have to play around with the peg and locating hole to achieve a temporary (and moving) join, but overall, very nice and smooth finish, minimal touch up required to fully appreciate the aesthetics of the model. Provided a pleasurable hour and a half of modelling bliss but will leave you wanting more.

As of this writing, no serious fit issues, goes together relatively well, almost like a Tamiya kit. However it isn't a snap tite, have to play around with the peg and locating hole to achieve a temporary (and moving) join, but overall, very nice and smooth finish, minimal touch up required to fully appreciate the aesthetics of the model. Provided a pleasurable hour and a half of modelling bliss but will leave you wanting more.

Excellent review! Im completely convinced with the merits of this model! I really should get my hands on it and go tinkering asap!

I just hope its not in the Hasegawa league in terms of pricing.

:lol: