Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

Thanks doc! Haven't dry brushed the tracks yet. I noticed that about tamiya's acrylic OD. That's why i sprayed mr. Color OD2 on it. To give some lighter shade to it ü

The more I look at it, the more I want to paint a Sherman just like that. I have an assembled but an unpainted Tamiya Sherman somewhere in the house. I just abandoned it because I was too lazy to fill in the empty sponsons. I was planning to paint it as a German captured tank but now I'm thinking of painting it as a relatively clean tank.

The more I look at it, the more I want to paint a Sherman just like that. I have an assembled but an unpainted Tamiya Sherman somewhere in the house. I just abandoned it because I was too lazy to fill in the empty sponsons. I was planning to paint it as a German captured tank but now I'm thinking of painting it as a relatively clean tank.

go for it doc! would be glad to see it here :) i'm really happy to know that my humble build somehow inspired you. happy building!

go for it doc! would be glad to see it here :) i'm really happy to know that my humble build somehow inspired you. happy building!

Actually you guys shame me into actually building instead of hoarding kits. Long weekend again so with the sun out I plan to do some painting and start on a new kit. I just bought the Heller VAB from Natalie's shop but I think I'll start on one of Dragon's uber tech kits this weekend. What's going to be on your bench this weekend?

i'm trying to finish another pending kit i started last 2007 but, as usual was set aside when i bought a new kit. it's Trumpeter's 1/700 scale Missouri. i just based the color on photos online. it's my first time building a ship. sayang kasi kit pag di natapos hehehe. this will be an OOB build as usual :)

Edited by bugoy2004
i'm trying to finish another pending kit i started last 2007 but, as usual was set aside when i bought a new kit. it's Trumpeter's 1/700 scale Missouri. i just based the color on photos online. it's my first time building a ship. sayang kasi kit pag di natapos hehehe. this will be an OOB build as usual :)

The last ships I finished were Tamiya's 1/350 USS Enterprise and King George V, but I was about barely in my teens then. I don't think I'd like to build a ship now, the rigging looks more intimidating than individual link tracks. That's also another reason why I stay away from WWI biplanes and triplanes. This saturday I will restock my Tamiya acrylics so I can do some serious painting wooohooooo.

hello everyone! i hop may question is not too "duh"? :)

i've recently descided to try scale modeling by purchasing a kit and some acrylic paint. it's kindda intimidating at first, looking at the assembly instructions, but as i analyse the instructions, the more confident i'm getting to start the project. i'm now more concerned about the painting part. wala kasi ako ganun skills and i'm afraid i would mess up the paint job. any tips on how to paint? also, what do you use to clean the brushes?

thanks in advance! i pretty excited about starting the project. i'm trying to plan and learn as much as i can before i begin! :)

welcome to the hobby sir! what particular kit did you purchase? sa assembly, ginagawa ko is dry fit muna kung ayos ang lapat. saka ko apply ng cement. sa painting using brush wala ako experience e. so let's wait for the gurus to reply. paging Herr Boelcke and Herr Steiner!!!

i've recently descided to try scale modeling by purchasing a kit and some acrylic paint. it's kindda intimidating at first, looking at the assembly instructions, but as i analyse the instructions, the more confident i'm getting to start the project. i'm now more concerned about the painting part. wala kasi ako ganun skills and i'm afraid i would mess up the paint job. any tips on how to paint? also, what do you use to clean the brushes?

thanks in advance! i pretty excited about starting the project. i'm trying to plan and learn as much as i can before i begin! :)

Welcome to the hobby sir! Acrylics are a pain to brush on because they dry so quickly, so it's better to brush only in one direction and try not to go over the areas you have already brushed paint on. Acrylics are good for detail painting but for large areas, you might want to try enamels or use an airbrush. The other thing is that acrylic paint doesn't stick too well to styrene, so you might want to prime the plastic first. I usually prime with any lacquer spray can, I buy these in DIY/Tool stores, and then the acrylic paints sticks better.

For cleaning brushes, I just dip them in a jar of windowcleaner or isopropyl alcohol then wash with soap and water.

There were several new 1/35 Trump kits at Lil's today, so I blew all of my cash. I can't believe how much I spent this afternoon!

hi bugoy and dr. pepper! thank you so much to the encouragements and tips!

i got a Tamiya 1/72 scale A-10 Warthog from lil's.

the assembly "seems" easy enough. but it is the paint job that is giving me concerns.

- i was at ace hardware yesterday and found some camo acrylic paint spray. can i use it on my project? it's P 199 per can. they come in military green, brown, gray and black. what about the spray mist size? do these spray cans produce a spray mist fine enough for the project?

- do i need to wash the plastic parts before assembly for the paint to stick better? what do i wash it with?

i am intimidated, but with your guidance, i remain undaunted! :)

hi bugoy and dr. pepper! thank you so much to the encouragements and tips!

i got a Tamiya 1/72 scale A-10 Warthog from lil's.

the assembly "seems" easy enough. but it is the paint job that is giving me concerns.

- i was at ace hardware yesterday and found some camo acrylic paint spray. can i use it on my project? it's P 199 per can. they come in military green, brown, gray and black. what about the spray mist size? do these spray cans produce a spray mist fine enough for the project?

- do i need to wash the plastic parts before assembly for the paint to stick better? what do i wash it with?

i am intimidated, but with your guidance, i remain undaunted! :)

Actually, I'm intimidated myself by the masters who post their builds here but allow me to try answering and the masters can correct me where I go astray. You can use the hardware camo acrylic paint spray as a base coat. However there is a technique to this. Try to look at the modeling sites like Missing Lynx, Hyperscale or Aircraftresourcecenter for tips on how to paint with a spray can. To avoid puddling the paint, you have to keep the spray can moving as you paint. Start spraying before you get to the model and continue on spraying after you get to the end. Start with light coats and gradually build it up. You may need to wash the plastic before assembly but if it's a Tamiya kit, I don't bother since there is little residue from the molds. However, before painting, it would be a good idea to wash the model first with dishwashing liquid to get rid of all the oils and dirt.

The kits on the chair are 1/72 aircraft that I bought at a sale in Warehouse Club a few years ago. I got them for P25 each and now I've started building the Sabre jet and the fit of the parts is not bad. It has engraved panel lines but the detail is soft. Decals look terrible, the F-15 decals had red U.S. insignia. The clear parts are a bit thick but are very very clear. The Sabrejet canopy doesn't have canopy frames molded so you're on your own when masking. Aside from this, opening each box is a guaranteed surprise. When I opened a Sabrejet kit, there was also a 1/72 Bf 109 in it, and when I opened an F-15 box, there were 2 sabrejet kits inside.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/doctorpep/0CIMG0858.jpg

oh my! doc those kits on your chair are roughly the equivalent of my entire stash. would you like to make a donation to an unemployed modeler? :P

The kits on the chair are 1/72 aircraft that I bought at a sale in Warehouse Club a few years ago. I got them for P25 each and now I've started building the Sabre jet and the fit of the parts is not bad. It has engraved panel lines but the detail is soft. Decals look terrible, the F-15 decals had red U.S. insignia. The clear parts are a bit thick but are very very clear. The Sabrejet canopy doesn't have canopy frames molded so you're on your own when masking. Aside from this, opening each box is a guaranteed surprise. When I opened a Sabrejet kit, there was also a 1/72 Bf 109 in it, and when I opened an F-15 box, there were 2 sabrejet kits inside.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/doctorpep/0CIMG0858.jpg

Edited by bugoy2004
oh my! doc those kits on your chair are roughly the equivalent of my entire stash. would you like to make a donation to an unemployed modeler? :P

Sure! Want a couple of those sabrejets? Seriously, are you unemployed? If you are, that would explain the absence of a stash - you have all the time in the world to do some serious modelbuilding!

Doc,

That kinda looks like my bench as of last night. I also bought a number of them discount kits from Uniwide. I think I got me about a dozen Nighthawk helos. Funny thing is, I havent even started with one.

:D

I'll bet your workbench has much prettier models on it Herr Boelcke. Unfortunately there were no Nighthawk helos when I finally got to Uniwide. I wonder if they do sales like this often.

just pulling your leg doc hehehe. i have a sabre jet here and i still have not tried building it. i am scared of bare metal finishes. but yes i am unemployed as of today. tomorrow i think they will give me my separation pay. so off to the hobby shop....errr i mean bank :D

Sure! Want a couple of those sabrejets? Seriously, are you unemployed? If you are, that would explain the absence of a stash - you have all the time in the world to do some serious modelbuilding!
just pulling your leg doc hehehe. i have a sabre jet here and i still have not tried building it. i am scared of bare metal finishes. but yes i am unemployed as of today. tomorrow i think they will give me my separation pay. so off to the hobby shop....errr i mean bank :D

Ah so you're a retiree sir? Would you like to open a trust account? Just kidding. Those 1/72 jets are throwaway builds, more to get experience in painting and as a last resort, for spare parts. I plan to do a couple in BMF using spraycans, both Tamiya and commercial cans to see what they look like. The other jets will be done in what-if markings (Dutch, Italian, Indian) so I don't have to paint them in BMF. Hope to meet up with you guys soon.

I'll bet your workbench has much prettier models on it Herr Boelcke. Unfortunately there were no Nighthawk helos when I finally got to Uniwide. I wonder if they do sales like this often.

Did you ever catch the sale SM did in the 90s?

They sold ESCI products at unbelievable prices.

1/72 KC-135A at P300

1/72 AC-130 Gunship at P330 (man, I cant believe I didnt get this)

1/72 F-4C/D Phantom at P200

1/72 F-5A at P110

These sold at SM Sta. Mesa, SM Cubao, SM North EDSA.

If I had a time machine....

Did you ever catch the sale SM did in the 90s?

They sold ESCI products at unbelievable prices.

1/72 KC-135A at P300

1/72 AC-130 Gunship at P330 (man, I cant believe I didnt get this)

1/72 F-4C/D Phantom at P200

1/72 F-5A at P110

These sold at SM Sta. Mesa, SM Cubao, SM North EDSA.

If I had a time machine....

Dammit I can't believe I missed this sale, rock bottom prices! What I did catch was the sale in SM Alabang for Mini Hobbies when they were closing out, I was able to buy 3 1/48 Hasegawa Bf 109 various versions at P320 each and old Model Master enamel paints for P10 each. I should have bought more but I didn't have enough money to clean out their inventory.

Edited by Dr_PepPeR
That one I missed Doc.

Of course, you also remember the sale of Nova Fontana in the early 90s? Everything was buy-one-take-one or 50% off on list price. I went to town with that promo.

:D

Roger that, I was able to buy a few ESCI kits then, but I remember that what remained when I got there were mostly car kits. Also in the late 90s, National Bookstore got rid of their Tamiya kits. While not exactly rock bottom prices, I was able to get 3 Tamiya AFVs that were P250 cheaper than Lil's. Maybe you can use your powers of persuasion to convince Lil to sell her old stock at a discount. I think there are some kits in her store that have been there since I started the hobby again and haven't been moved since. BTW, if you ever go to her Parksquare store, don't touch the kits at the bottom of the shelves. Her dogs pee on the boxes. :thumbsupsmiley: