Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

Doc,

Try using the wire in telephone lines or UTP cables.

Herr Boelcke,

Magnificent work on the bus! Its unbelievably detailed at 1/87 scale! Great work!

I was just assessing my own model work area - it's full of cobwebs already! hahaha It's been more than a year since my last work.

Thanks for the tip about the telephone wire floppydrive, although my wife will probably k*ll me when she finds out the phones don't work no more.

Thanks for the tip about the telephone wire floppydrive, although my wife will probably k*ll me when she finds out the phones don't work no more.

Doc,

You're a modeller, you'll be able to cut a few inches off from the junction box without anyone noticing! Hehehe Anyway, I have some extra UTP cable, if you like.

- FD

Doc,

You're a modeller, you'll be able to cut a few inches off from the junction box without anyone noticing! Hehehe Anyway, I have some extra UTP cable, if you like.

- FD

Actually, I have no idea what a UTP cable is or looks like. I was thinking of using the copper wire in those old electric motors that used to come with the old Tamiya and Academy kits, or even the ones from the initial motorized Trumpeter kits. If those will work, then I won't have to use your precious UTP cable. Still, just the same, if you want to give some of it away, I will graciously accept it and if I have anything you need, I hope to reciprocate. Many thanks floppydrive!

Actually, I have no idea what a UTP cable is or looks like. I was thinking of using the copper wire in those old electric motors that used to come with the old Tamiya and Academy kits, or even the ones from the initial motorized Trumpeter kits. If those will work, then I won't have to use your precious UTP cable. Still, just the same, if you want to give some of it away, I will graciously accept it and if I have anything you need, I hope to reciprocate. Many thanks floppydrive!

UTP cable is the ones used for wiring computer networks in offices. It has the same kind of wire inside as telephone wires, but there are 8 wires inside instead of the usual 4 wires found in telephone wires.

Where should I drop them off?

-FD

UTP cable is the ones used for wiring computer networks in offices. It has the same kind of wire inside as telephone wires, but there are 8 wires inside instead of the usual 4 wires found in telephone wires.

Where should I drop them off?

-FD

Thanks a lot sir! Wouldn't it be more convenient for you if I picked it up?

Geronimonster,

There are Pla Plates available at Lils Mega and Lils Quad Car Park. There are also Squadron Styrene sheets available at JMNs in Harrison Plaza.

Gents,

IPMS-Bert Anido has two mini exhibits simultaneously on going. One is is Mega (for the Valkyrie film) and the other in the Hot Air Balloon festival in Clark. You might want to check em out.

:)

I was wondering where I could buy styrene sheets.

Are they the same as Pla-plates found in Special Toy Center or acrylic sheets found in art supply stores in Recto?

About resins, where can I buy them? I want to try out molding and casting to replicate some pieces.

thanks

I suspect that Tamiya's Pla-plates are really styrene sheets. As far as I know, acrylic sheets are different from styrene plastic. Roel's Comics and Hobbies in Makati Cinema Square used to have a Squadron package of 6 styrene sheets of different thicknesses plus two clear styrene sheets. Lil's in Park Square and Megamall carries some Evergreen Styrene rods, shapes and sheets. For resins, you might want to try the hardware stores in Quiapo. I remember the days when papier mache was all the rage and my tita was casting clear resin in molds for the 'jewels'. You might want to ask the people who build the architectural scale models of houses and buildings. I tried dismantling one of them but they seem to be built very sturdily. Of course, floppydrive and Boelcke will probably know better, or they can direct you to someone who knows.

Geronimonster,

There are Pla Plates available at Lils Mega and Lils Quad Car Park. There are also Squadron Styrene sheets available at JMNs in Harrison Plaza.

Gents,

IPMS-Bert Anido has two mini exhibits simultaneously on going. One is is Mega (for the Valkyrie film) and the other in the Hot Air Balloon festival in Clark. You might want to check em out.

:)

Thanks Sir Boelcke! I'll drop by later and see what I could get.

And I'll drop by the exhibit after getting some styrene sheets.

Thanks!

I suspect that Tamiya's Pla-plates are really styrene sheets. As far as I know, acrylic sheets are different from styrene plastic. Roel's Comics and Hobbies in Makati Cinema Square used to have a Squadron package of 6 styrene sheets of different thicknesses plus two clear styrene sheets. Lil's in Park Square and Megamall carries some Evergreen Styrene rods, shapes and sheets. For resins, you might want to try the hardware stores in Quiapo. I remember the days when papier mache was all the rage and my tita was casting clear resin in molds for the 'jewels'. You might want to ask the people who build the architectural scale models of houses and buildings. I tried dismantling one of them but they seem to be built very sturdily. Of course, floppydrive and Boelcke will probably know better, or they can direct you to someone who knows.

Thanks Dr. Pepper,

I thought Styrene was different as they're somewhat bendable and don't look brittle. I'll drop by Roel's probably next week if I happen to drop by Makati.

I used to work with acrylic sheets during my college days to make models, but I found them too hard (literally hard) to handle and the material might not work well with the plastic models I'm working on.

Let you know what happens! Thanks po sa lahat.

It WOULD be more convenient for me, but then again, you might curse me if you tried going to our office to pick it up. hehehe Terrible traffic!

Ugh I hate traffic. Maybe if you can drop by Harrison Plaza just let me know. No rush sir, I'm still looking for those old electric motors for the copper wire.

Thanks Dr. Pepper,

I thought Styrene was different as they're somewhat bendable and don't look brittle. I'll drop by Roel's probably next week if I happen to drop by M<textarea

As far as I know, styrene can be glued with the usual cements like Tamiya, Tenax, Revell and those tube glue that Academy sometimes puts inside their kits. Styrene is also sandable and can be stretched and formed with heat. I don't think you can do that with acrylic sheets. Others may know more though.

It WOULD be more convenient for me, but then again, you might curse me if you tried going to our office to pick it up. hehehe Terrible traffic!

Ugh I hate traffic. Maybe if you can drop by Harrison Plaza just let me know. No rush sir, I'm still looking for those old electric motors for the copper wire.

Thanks Dr. Pepper,

I thought Styrene was different as they're somewhat bendable and don't look brittle. I'll drop by Roel's probably next week if I happen to drop by M<textarea

As far as I know, styrene can be glued with the usual cements like Tamiya, Tenax, Revell and those tube glue that Academy sometimes puts inside their kits. Styrene is also sandable and can be stretched and formed with heat. I don't think you can do that with acrylic sheets. Others may know more though.

HP!!!! It's been years since I've last been there! Maybe 10 years ago. Solely to see what's inside JMN's store before I found out her husband is Roel. Will PM when I can pass by. Are you there on saturdays?

Re Styrene and acrylic:

Both are plastic, but made from different families of chemicals. You can't even say they're distant cousins. The typical cement we use for styrene is actually a solvent that melts the styrene, then evaporates letting the styrene harden back. This makes the joined plastic parts literally become one piece. It's a solvent that's designed to melt styrene only. It doesn't work on acrylic. There is a different solvent for acrylic, whose name escapes me now. You can ask the sign makers for the kind of solvent that they use. Styrene is softer than acrylic, and doesn't "distort" so much after it is made. It's also cheaper, thus the abundance of styrene based plastic models. It's also the same stuff from which styrofoam is made. Main difference is that styrofoam has tiny air bubbles in the plastic. The same solvent for plastic models will also work on styofoam.

HP!!!! It's been years since I've last been there! Maybe 10 years ago. Solely to see what's inside JMN's store before I found out her husband is Roel. Will PM when I can pass by. Are you there on saturdays?

I'm there sometimes on Saturdays, FD, that is, if I have to go to a faculty meeting or affair at a school nearby. I love dropping by JMN's since Natalie has the occasional Alclad II paints that I've been looking for, as well as Tenax and Sculpey. Maybe one day they'll have one of those photoetch benders that I'm salivating for. Although I don't get too much of the friendly old-customer treatment as I usually get in Comics and Hobbies or Lils. Special Toys? No comment.

I'm there sometimes on Saturdays, FD, that is, if I have to go to a faculty meeting or affair at a school nearby. I love dropping by JMN's since Natalie has the occasional Alclad II paints that I've been looking for, as well as Tenax and Sculpey. Maybe one day they'll have one of those photoetch benders that I'm salivating for. Although I don't get too much of the friendly old-customer treatment as I usually get in Comics and Hobbies or Lils. Special Toys? No comment.

You're looking for Alclad? Would Testors Metallizer do? I still have some bottles that are probably 7 or 8 years in storage, but never opened. Will check what colors I still have, assuming I can remember where I kept them. hehehe

Well, the stuff in Special Toys don't really seem to be in your area of favorite builds anyway.

:lol:

Ikaw Doc ha.

Just to set the record straight, I dropped by and the OWNER happened to be there. I asked him if the 1/32 Hasegawa FW190 was the new tooling with the recessed panel lines. He assured me it was. While he was attending to some other customer I asked one of the salesladies to open the box. It was the old one. Anyway, do you still get complaints after the winners are announced during the competitions?

You're looking for Alclad? Would Testors Metallizer do? I still have some bottles that are probably 7 or 8 years in storage, but never opened. Will check what colors I still have, assuming I can remember where I kept them. hehehe

Well, the stuff in Special Toys don't really seem to be in your area of favorite builds anyway.

I'm looking for the polished aluminum and aluminum colors of Alclad II. Testors Metallizers are fine with me, I'll be happy to buy them from you. I tried the spray paint cans for NMF before but I found the grains to be too big.

Just to set the record straight, I dropped by and the OWNER happened to be there. I asked him if the 1/32 Hasegawa FW190 was the new tooling with the recessed panel lines. He assured me it was. While he was attending to some other customer I asked one of the salesladies to open the box. It was the old one. Anyway, do you still get complaints after the winners are announced during the competitions?

I'm looking for the polished aluminum and aluminum colors of Alclad II. Testors Metallizers are fine with me, I'll be happy to buy them from you. I tried the spray paint cans for NMF before but I found the grains to be too big.

Doc,

I still have Aluminum Plate and Stainless Steel in 15ml bottles, and sealer and thinner in 51ml bottles.

Hi po, just a little question

How much do you guys spend on a model? Average figures. I like models, but I really can't get around making one.

The kits I buy now cost between P800 and P1,200. But I've already invested in airbrushes, sable brushes, hobby and oil paints, putty, tools etc. so it would come out to higher than that. I still remember when a Tamiya kit would cost around P200 - P300 but that was a long time ago.

Hi po, just a little question

How much do you guys spend on a model? Average figures. I like models, but I really can't get around making one.

The kits I buy now cost between P800 and P1,200. But I've already invested in airbrushes, sable brushes, hobby and oil paints, putty, tools etc. so it would come out to higher than that. I still remember when a Tamiya kit would cost around P200 - P300 but that was a long time ago.

Doc,

I still remember matchbox kits in tri-color sprues for P30-P50 only! hahaha

Nowadays, I'll spend 1K to 5K on a kit that I REALLY like. There are some that are in the range of 12K up, but I can't afford that anymore.

How much to spend on a kit really depends on what you are interested in, and how far you'd like to detail it. If I were to start again from scratch today, I guess I'd spend:

Model kit: P150 to P1000 (simple but nice kits first)

Spray Paint cans: about P100 to P200 per can * usually 3 or 4 colors (depending on the subject)

Paint bottles: about P75/bottle * 4 (for detailing)

Paint Thinner: about P300

Small Brush (00 or 000): P100.

It gets cheaper as you go along since you'll accumulate the paint colors. The spray cans get pretty much used up per kit, so if you're really into this hobby, it would be better to get an air brush (costs from 5,000 to 20,000 including the compressor).

Pride of displaying your creation: PRICELESS

Edited by floppydrive