Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

I got there at exactly 7pm... I was one of the early birds :P Too bad we didnt meet... but there are a lot of opportunities... I left the party after the show :P

I'm sure there will be other opportunities. The Iwata Eclipse, with its gravity feed cup, is one of the best airbrushes available and I feel that no one can beat Iwata for quality. The nice thing about Badgers is that they are readily available here including spare parts. This is one of the items on my wish list for someone coming from Japan, next are Hasegawa kits but even from Japan, they still are a bit pricey.

Hey Doc, can you suggest a good spray paint i can use as primer for my plankton army? Something that will adhere well for their kind of plastic...been researching over the net but most are hard to find products here...thanks!

I use Painter's Touch Primer Lacquer Spray cans gray color as my all around primer. You can find this easily at True Value stores and I've seen some in National Book Store. Since this is lacquer, it is hot on plastic so it adheres really well to styrene. While it may look a bit thick when you spray it on, when it dries no detail is lost as it really eats into the plastic. You will still have to follow the rules on using spray cans, like do several light mists from far away then do a covering coat much closer, always spray in passes etc. Another more expensive alternative are the Tamiya Spray Primers, The White is very good, very fine spray and white as a color makes for a good base coat. If you want to spray from your airbrush for more control, simply decant the spray can into a container and use it like an ordinary airbrush paint, you can thin it if you want to but there is no need. Another alternative for primer is Mr. Surfacer 1000, heavily thinned with lacquer thinner. You can also use acrylics as a primer but they don't adhere to plastic as well as lacquer or enamels.

I have two Aztecs and I find using and cleaning them easy. But then again, I've only used acrylic paints (Vallejo, Tamiya, Polyscale?) and Alclad II. Will be using Gunze lacquers soon pero I'm aprehensive in using it since it is a lacquer based paints. Of course my apprehension stems from plastic possibly melting from lacquerpaint and thinner. This, of course is all in the mind since i have used lacquer thinner (Tamiya and Gunze) in cleaning both nozzle and body after shooting Alclad II.

Saan ako makakakuha ng air regulator? Water trap?

I have two Aztecs and I find using and cleaning them easy. But then again, I've only used acrylic paints (Vallejo, Tamiya, Polyscale?) and Alclad II. Will be using Gunze lacquers soon pero I'm aprehensive in using it since it is a lacquer based paints. Of course my apprehension stems from plastic possibly melting from lacquerpaint and thinner. This, of course is all in the mind since i have used lacquer thinner (Tamiya and Gunze) in cleaning both nozzle and body after shooting Alclad II.

Saan ako makakakuha ng air regulator? Water trap?

Don't worry about using Gunze lacquers in your Aztec, it wont react with the plastic. Water traps can be bought at hardware stores like DIY, ACE and True Value. Regulators are sold in specialty tool shops in Quiapo. I've seen one at Lil's Makati but it costs more than my brain could handle I think it was in the five figure range. Where did you get your Alclad II? Nice Bf 109!

Edited by Dr_PepPeR

The Bf109 Avatar was really an accidental download from I've forgotten where. My personal favorite na plane. I have an E in 1/24, E F 4Gs K in 1/48, and E 2Gs in 1/72. My second favorite is the Fw190.

Anyway, I got the Alclad II paints at JMN Hobby Centrer, Harrison Plaza. Can't remember but P350-450 yata. I got the Polished Aluminum, Duraluminum, and Chrome. Ganda ng color when sprayed on. Very even, matte pa and can be sealed with Future Floor Polish.

Note: it really isn't lacquer paint so you can overpaint.

Have you tried shooting with Future Floor Polish, I 've only brushed it on, both straight and with Tamiya Flat Base, and dipped canopies on it. Galing ng sheen, though.

Thanks, I'm planning to join the model exhibit ng IPMS-BAC, eh.

Post some pix of your finished models please. Pag nakikita ko avatar at sig mo parang gusto ko ibenta yung airbrush ko at dumalaw sa Quezon Avenue.

I'll post them po sir as soon as I find time. :) Sayang di tayo nagkitakita doon. I was with my avatar and Sig at the RR party. Ibang Airbrush ang gamit ko pag nasa Quezon Avenue ako.Hehehe.

Lupit din yang Iwata. I heard na maganda yan and based on the picture....looks sexy enough for me. :) Hehehe. Yung water trap and regulator ko nabili kosa Alonso sa may Chinatown.

I'll post them po sir as soon as I find time. :) Sayang di tayo nagkitakita doon. I was with my avatar and Sig at the RR party. Ibang Airbrush ang gamit ko pag nasa Quezon Avenue ako.Hehehe.

Lupit din yang Iwata. I heard na maganda yan and based on the picture....looks sexy enough for me. :) Hehehe. Yung water trap and regulator ko nabili kosa Alonso sa may Chinatown.

Yeah, too bad I didn't have the chance to meet you at the RR party then I would have seen sig in person. But I was also with my date so had very little time to move around. Chinatown is the best place to get a regulator, haven't seen one in the mainstream shops except for the one I saw at Lil's.

The Bf109 Avatar was really an accidental download from I've forgotten where. My personal favorite na plane. I have an E in 1/24, E F 4Gs K in 1/48, and E 2Gs in 1/72. My second favorite is the Fw190.

Anyway, I got the Alclad II paints at JMN Hobby Centrer, Harrison Plaza. Can't remember but P350-450 yata. I got the Polished Aluminum, Duraluminum, and Chrome. Ganda ng color when sprayed on. Very even, matte pa and can be sealed with Future Floor Polish.

Note: it really isn't lacquer paint so you can overpaint.

Have you tried shooting with Future Floor Polish, I 've only brushed it on, both straight and with Tamiya Flat Base, and dipped canopies on it. Galing ng sheen, though.

Thanks, I'm planning to join the model exhibit ng IPMS-BAC, eh.

I'm a jet guy myself, not too hot with spinners but I have a weakness for multiengined propeller bombers.

Despite what everyone thinks I still think the best way to apply Future Floor Polish is with a wide flat brush. Because of its viscosity it is actually self levelling so no need to airbrush it.

Have you tried Johnson's Wipe and Shine (white)? It is cheap and even if it is milky, I've used it for canopy dipping but have yet to use it for gloss coating. It works real well as it dries to a clear gloss.

When I visited Natalie's shop in Harrison Plaza she didn't have Alclad Chrome or Polished Aluminum anymore.

So you're with IPMS-BAC. I opted not to join because I have some friends also in IPMS Philippines. Even for scale modeling we still manage to have factions. So sad.

What do you use to basecoat Alclad with? I heard you have to use an acrylic black for the Chrome?

kasama po ba ang mga gundam dito?

anyone here knows a place to buy old decals ng mga tamiya f1 cars? i got an old lotus 107 ford na ginamit ni mika hakkinen. the decals were really old.

im really a newbie in this hobby.. i use small paint brushes to paint mga parts ng cars. i bought some spray paints in canisters to do the job sa mga body paints.. but minsan palpak pa den.. any great advantage of getting one of those iwata's in recent posts?

hobby magazines usually teach how to do things but most of them usually are japanese or chinese languages. :(

anyone here knows a place to buy old decals ng mga tamiya f1 cars? i got an old lotus 107 ford na ginamit ni mika hakkinen. the decals were really old.

im really a newbie in this hobby.. i use small paint brushes to paint mga parts ng cars. i bought some spray paints in canisters to do the job sa mga body paints.. but minsan palpak pa den.. any great advantage of getting one of those iwata's in recent posts?

hobby magazines usually teach how to do things but most of them usually are japanese or chinese languages. :(

I saw some decals in Lils at Glorietta... but I'm not sure if they will have something for the lotus...

You can get F1 decals via internet hobby shops. Try Fine Scale Modeller magazine it comes out almost every month and it has excellent tips. Take a look at their website too.

Edited by Dr_PepPeR

True, Future has a long enough drying time to level itself out, my only thought kasi, baka it will be too thick. Yes I have tried "Wipe and Shine" and it is almost the same except for the milky white initial color. I have used experimented on it, both pure and with matt base ng Tamiya. Tapang mo boss na Canopy kaagad. I've read somewhere na it is basically the same naman. Kaso I hoard kasi so I still have Future Floor Polish.

My only thought though is that It did'nt seem to be as glossy, nor as matt when mixed, when compared to Future.

BTW, you can order Alclad from JMN should you wish. My only warning, one bottle is supposedly good for a single 1/48 na bomber (estimated, read this somewhere). I painted an 1/72 SR71 (really bitchin big plane)and still have half a bottle left though. I sparayed first with Tamiya Grey Primer then followed with the suggested black undercoat. Each bottle had its suggested black undercoat, any black or acrylic black pa nga. I followed it and results were ok. It is not a lacquer paint so didn't have problems like an ordinary lacquer overpaint should give.

True, Future has a long enough drying time to level itself out, my only thought kasi, baka it will be too thick. Yes I have tried "Wipe and Shine" and it is almost the same except for the milky white initial color. I have used experimented on it, both pure and with matt base ng Tamiya. Tapang mo boss na Canopy kaagad. I've read somewhere na it is basically the same naman. Kaso I hoard kasi so I still have Future Floor Polish.

My only thought though is that It did'nt seem to be as glossy, nor as matt when mixed, when compared to Future.

BTW, you can order Alclad from JMN should you wish. My only warning, one bottle is supposedly good for a single 1/48 na bomber (estimated, read this somewhere). I painted an 1/72 SR71 (really bitchin big plane)and still have half a bottle left though. I sparayed first with Tamiya Grey Primer then followed with the suggested black undercoat. Each bottle had its suggested black undercoat, any black or acrylic black pa nga. I followed it and results were ok. It is not a lacquer paint so didn't have problems like an ordinary lacquer overpaint should give.

Again, because of its self-levelling qualities, it doesn't get thick. If it pools while it drips down, then yes, it can get to be thick, that's why i always put futured surfaces on something that will absorb or allow the excess future to go somewhere else.

I wasn't that bold, I tried Wipe and Shine on 1/72 canopies first before going to the 1/48 and 1/32 stuff. Sometimes I do two dips just to make sure.

When I get the courage to do an immaculately smooth plastic surface, I will try using Alclad on a 1/48 Sabrejet or Mig-15.

Reminds me of this article I saw in Fine Scale Modeler. Grabe, the guy was building a 1/48 P38 Lightning na metal finish. He did that by applying, not Bare Metal Foil, but rather plain aluminum foil. Putcha, ang tiyaga at ang galing. Good luck in your Sabrejet or Mig. Should you need very fine abrasives, JMN has Micromesh Finishing Abrasives. If I'm not mistaken, the finest cloth had 20,000 na grit.

Reminds me of this article I saw in Fine Scale Modeler. Grabe, the guy was building a 1/48 P38 Lightning na metal finish. He did that by applying, not Bare Metal Foil, but rather plain aluminum foil. Putcha, ang tiyaga at ang galing. Good luck in your Sabrejet or Mig. Should you need very fine abrasives, JMN has Micromesh Finishing Abrasives. If I'm not mistaken, the finest cloth had 20,000 na grit.

Yes I saw that article. The plain aluminum foil he used was the cheapest kind, so it would be really thin. I was thinking of using the foil that comes with chocnut to BMF a jet because I remembered using it to cover coins and rub it against the hair to make it appear bare metal. Problem is I'll surely get fat from eating all that chocnut. Is there anything available locally that works like Micro Mark's Foll Adhesive?

Yes I saw that article. The plain aluminum foil he used was the cheapest kind, so it would be really thin. I was thinking of using the foil that comes with chocnut to BMF a jet because I remembered using it to cover coins and rub it against the hair to make it appear bare metal. Problem is I'll surely get fat from eating all that chocnut. Is there anything available locally that works like Micro Mark's Foll Adhesive?

Hello Dr Pepper,

Various internet articles refer to Japanese aluminum foil products as very much thinner than the usual "Reynolds" foil we have here in supermarkets. I just bought a Japanese brand Al foil at a store across Makati Cinema Square. Initial observations indicate it is indeed thinner. But I still have to test it using Microscale Adhesive.

Hello Dr Pepper,

Various internet articles refer to Japanese aluminum foil products as very much thinner than the usual "Reynolds" foil we have here in supermarkets. I just bought a Japanese brand Al foil at a store across Makati Cinema Square. Initial observations indicate it is indeed thinner. But I still have to test it using Microscale Adhesive.

Hi Bocksar! Nice to see you again! The inner vcandy wrapper foil is still thinner I think. Would you know a good substitute for Microscale Foil Adhesive? I was thinking of using thinned contact cement, since I don't know where to get Microscale adhesive locally.

Hi Bocksar! Nice to see you again! The inner vcandy wrapper foil is still thinner I think. Would you know a good substitute for Microscale Foil Adhesive? I was thinking of using thinned contact cement, since I don't know where to get Microscale adhesive locally.

Sometime ago, I bought a foil glue from a craft store in Robinsons(Ortigas). I still have to test it but the consistency seems to be similar to Microscale foil adhesive. I read from the internet that somebody used this type of glue to foil a B-29.

And yes, the thinnest aluminum foil I have tested was that from Nestle's Crunch. But lately, I have observed that this chocolate bar has changed its packaging and the foil is no longer used.

Are you referring to thinned contact cement similar to a rugby type of glue? I have not tried that yet since I am wary of the plastic being eaten up.

Just came from Lil's this afternoon. Lots and lots of new kits, including the 1/35 DML M1A1 AIM and Hasegawa kits. My poor wallet!

This must be at Lil'l Makati? I checked out the Megamall branch but the tank was not yet on display.

Anyway, I ended up at Special Toy Center in Virra Mall and saw the DML M1A1. The box was attractive and bigger than the Tamiya version. Needless to say, I succumbed to temptation (as always) and bought the kit. Impressive is the first word I could think of upon opening the box...... the best part of modelling that I enjoy!

Hopefully, the fit will be Tamiya-quality.