Jump to content
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

Martial Arts


Corkscrew

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kali: Since 1996

Boxing: Since 1996

Judo: Since 1998

Zui Quan: Since 1999

Krav Maga - 2000 - 2008

Muay Thai - 2009 - 2014

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: 2010 - 2014

 

Kali and Judo are martial arts taught to every male members of my maternal family. Kali has been taught to the family since the Spanish occupation (patago lang yung training). Introduced naman yung Judo sa family around 1960s. I still practice both arts.

I started practising Zui Quan because of the Drunken Master films. Kaibigan ng Kali and Judo teacher ko yung teacher ko sa Zui Quan - aside from him, wala na akong alam na nagtuturo nun dito. Sobrang hirap ng training and sobrang sakit sa joints pag di ka pa sanay. Lakas makapag improve ng joint strength and balance ng art na to. I still practice this art.

Boxing and Krav Maga are my father's go-to style. I still practice boxing but not Krav Maga. Krav Maga used to bring so much killer instinct to me, that I almost killed three muggers who mugged me before. I stopped practising Krav Maga after that.

I started training Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu dahil sa MMA. Pero I stopped practising when I realized na hindi sila practical gamitin sa street fighting/self defense (at least in my opinion).

 

 

Edited by mrbig86
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Winner! (+1) 2
Link to comment
On 1/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, mrbig86 said:

Kali: Since 1996

Boxing: Since 1996

Judo: Since 1998

Zui Quan: Since 1999

Krav Maga - 2000 - 2008

Muay Thai - 2009 - 2014

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: 2010 - 2014

 

Kali and Judo are martial arts taught to every male members of my maternal family. Kali has been taught to the family since the Spanish occupation (patago lang yung training). Introduced naman yung Judo sa family around 1960s. I still practice both arts.

I started practising Zui Quan because of the Drunken Master films. Kaibigan ng Kali and Judo teacher ko yung teacher ko sa Zui Quan - aside from him, wala na akong alam na nagtuturo nun dito. Sobrang hirap ng training and sobrang sakit sa joints pag di ka pa sanay. Lakas makapag improve ng joint strength and balance ng art na to. I still practice this art.

Boxing and Krav Maga are my father's go-to style. I still practice boxing but not Krav Maga. Krav Maga used to bring so much killer instinct to me, that I almost killed three muggers who mugged me before. I stopped practising Krav Maga after that.

I started training Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu dahil sa MMA. Pero I stopped practising when I realized na hindi sila practical gamitin sa street fighting/self defense (at least in my opinion).

 

 

For Zui Quan kelangan ba talaga nakainom ka? Is the style same as used by Jackie Chan in Drunken Master? I thought peke yan Drunken Fist na yan. 

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Bigshotbob32 said:

For Zui Quan kelangan ba talaga nakainom ka? Is the style same as used by Jackie Chan in Drunken Master? I thought peke yan Drunken Fist na yan. 

 

Hindi part ng Zui Quan ang pag inom ng alak, though the style revolves around imitating a drunken person's movement. Marami sa mga moves ni Jackie Chan sa Drunken Master films ay ginawa niya lang, although marami din ang true to the art itself (Imagine my disappointment when I found out na hindi exactly ganun yung ituturo sa akin :)).

In an open space, napaka useful ng Zui Quan for self defense (even against other martial artists) since it's not a widely known form of martial arts, and it's hard to predict the next move of the practitioner. Fighting a very skilled Zui Quan practitioner means you need to expect the strike to come from anywhere, and from any angle. The strikes are also stronger than other martial arts since the force of its strikes is the sum of the person's strength and the force of his momentum.

Zui Quan is a dying form of martial arts. A few years ago, around 1000 nalang ang practitioners niya sa China. 

Edited by mrbig86
  • Winner! (+1) 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, jdlc103021 said:

If you stick to their respective rules what martial arts is the strongest?

Krav Maga. Its principle is to kill using the least number of strikes. It's the go-to martial arts of several special forces teams around the globe.

Kali is also deadly but it's principle is not primarily to kill but to be adaptable. What's good about Kali is that you're trained to use anything as a weapon.

Zui Quan (Drunken fist) is also deadly due to its stike's power. It's the reason why it's original version was not accepted as a sport, and they had to develop a new tamed-down version of Zui Quan for sports purposes.

May isa pang martial arts na deadly na tinuturo sa mga Russian special forces. I forgot the name, but basically it's principle is to be able to simultaneously kill 20 men all by yourself. May nabasa ako before na article na yun yung considered na deadliest form of martial arts. Krav Maga and Kali were included in the top 5.

Edited by mrbig86
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mrbig86 said:

...May isa pang martial arts na deadly na tinuturo sa mga Russian special forces. I forgot the name, but basically it's principle is to be able to simultaneously kill 20 men all by yourself. May nabasa ako before na article na yun yung considered na deadliest form of martial arts. Krav Maga and Kali were included in the top 5.

It's Systema; the russkies also combine this w/ Sambo- a wrestling/judo combo developed way back WW1... 

Edited by soulguru
Link to comment
7 hours ago, soulguru said:

It's Systema; the russkies also combine this w/ Sambo- a wrestling/judo combo developed way back WW1... 

I'm pretty sure hindi yun Systema. May dahilan kung bakit di ko matandaan yung pangalan nun eh. Parang may pagka Krav Maga yung name na hindi English yung base. 

 

May nabasa din ako na article na yung martial arts na tinuturo sa North Korean forces is pretty deadly. 

Link to comment
On 10/21/2021 at 7:05 AM, mrmaldito123 said:

Wingchun para IPMAN!

Malakas din ang Wing Chun. May dahilan bakit wala sa MMA/Sports yung technique na yan. 

Basically deadly yung style if; 1) Wala sa MMA, 2) ginagamit siya ng mga special forces

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mrbig86 said:

I'm pretty sure hindi yun Systema. May dahilan kung bakit di ko matandaan yung pangalan nun eh. Parang may pagka Krav Maga yung name na hindi English yung base. 

May nabasa din ako na article na yung martial arts na tinuturo sa North Korean forces is pretty deadly. 

hmmm, as far as i know- the Spetsnaz (Russian Spec-Ops) & KGB supposedly use a deadly combo of Systema/Sambo/ARB (russian army combatives); so if it's something 'secretive', then maybe they'd want 'it' to be that way...  for NoKor, yup- supposedly an 'unadulterated' combat taekyon/hapkido/taekwondo, etc., as derived from their 'trad MA'; this one's more focused on no-frills/no-fuss survival tactics and vital point striking/grappling/breaking for max efficiency/deadliness, coupled w/ the brutal No. Korean mental/physical(even 'spiritual') training discipline/doctrine they've imbibed for centuries...  

     

Edited by soulguru
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...