Martial Arts

Corkscrew

honga results chief

Anyhow fun event last saturday ang nangyari tuloy parang Philippine Grapplers League ang format kasi sama sama na ang novice at advanced and it was a bummer to have my division merged with the heavyweights but heck that's the breaks of the game. Bawi na lang ako sa December.

Here now are the official results from rollapalooza.tv.

DOMINACAO ABSOLUTA (Submission Wrestling Event) October 25,2008 SM Marikina.

Featherweight:

Gold: Carlo Peña (Newbreed BJJ)

Silver: Jan Cortez (Newbreed BJJ)

Bronze: JR Santos (Newbreed BJJ)

lightweight:

Gold: Carlos Tiongson (Alliance Fight Club)

Silver: Francis Uy (Alliance Fight Club)

Bronze: Carl Sebiniano (Hybird Yaw Yan)

Middleweight:

Gold: Javier Mireles (Llloyd Irvin Purebred BJJ Guam)

Silver: Michael Saniel (Newbreed BJJ)

Bronze: Claude Santos(Alliance Fight Club)

Merged Cruiserweight and Heavyweight:

Gold: Skip Leido (Newbreed BJJ)

Silver: Vicente Pajaro (Hybrid Yaw Yan)

Bronze: GeneticFreak (SPRAWL Fabricio)

Merged Juniors (Girls and Boys) :

Gold: JR Santos (Newbreed BJJ)

Silver: Aileen Wong (Purebred Lloyd Irvin BJJ Guam)

Bronze: May Masuda (Gracie Barra BJJ)

Women's:

Gold: Aileen Wong (Purebred Lloyd Irvin BJJ Guam)

Silver: May Masuda (Gracie Barra BJJ)

Absolute:

Gold: Macky Siazon (Newbreed BJJ)

Silver: Jan Cortez (Newbreed BJJ)

Bronze: Skip Leido (Newbreed BJJ)

Fastest Submission Award:

Claude Santos – Alliance Fight Club (48 seconds)

Most Technical Fighter Award:

Carlos Tiongson – Alliance Fight Club

Edited by geneticfreak
  • 2 weeks later...

In local MA/Judo/BJJ News naman. Last Sunday I was at the Ateneo Gym to witness the annual Hajime! Judo Championships. The gold medal match for the -81kg blackbelt division was certainly a treat. We had BJJ Whiz and Pan American BJJ Black Belt Champion Mike Fowler against our very own 9 time SEAG gold medalist and two time olympian John Baylon (who trains with us at Team Fabricio)

here's a vid of the whole gold medal match on youtube:

John Baylon wins via cutting armbar in less than two minutes!

In the words of Randy Couture (after winning back the UFC HW Championship from Tim Sylvia):

"Not Bad for an Old Man.."

Congratulations to sir John and belated happy birthday last November 6 (He's already 44 by the way IMO our own version of Randy Couture).

We would love to have a Baylon/Fowler rematch this December at the Philippine International BJJ Championships but I think sir Mike Fowler has already declined due to the fact that BJJ blackbelts don't usually fight against Brownbelts (which sir John currently is in BJJ) in competition.

bro will the Dominicao Absoluta be an annual event?

Well I certainly hope so. It's good na may bagong competition gaya nito.

Used to be that there were really only 3 or 4 BJJ / Grappling Tilts in a year. Three of the competitions are hosted by us, Team Fabricio namely: The Philippine Nationals, The Pan-Asians and The Philippine Internationals, then the Philippine Grapplers League hosted by the Strike and Shoot Academy (in this comp there are no belt classes just the best of the best from all teams).

This year we've had another tournament for newbies called the Roll-a-palooza and The Dominacao Absoluta. I certainly hope these events can be held on an annual basis.

hmmmm if i start training next month, pano naman ako makakasali sa mga comps? kelangan ba yung dojo/team ko mag enter sakin for it or pwedeng sumali na lang?

Ganito if the Comp is BJJ generally you have to represent a legitimate BJJ School (say Fabricio, Gracie Barra, Newbreed or the like) but if you join a 'Grappling' (No-gi) competition kahit sarili mo lang ang irepresent mo ok na.

Ganito if the Comp is BJJ generally you have to represent a legitimate BJJ School (say Fabricio, Gracie Barra, Newbreed or the like) but if you join a 'Grappling' (No-gi) competition kahit sarili mo lang ang irepresent mo ok na.

ahhh i see, so kelangan i-represent ang school para din umakyat ng belt tama ba?

ahhh i see, so kelangan i-represent ang school para din umakyat ng belt tama ba?

Well that and so that there'll be a common standard among the competitors. It is assumed kasi that if you come from a legit BJJ school you're skills are at par with other people coming from other legit BJJ schools. We assume for example that blue belts from Fabricio, Newbreed, VPF and Gracie Barra are of a certain skill level and are considered legit bluebelts. If you're a so-called blue belt though from a somewhat unknown school how would the other competitors know if you're blue belt is legit or not.

Sir Riceboi! where do you plan to take lessons sa BJJ?! Wala kasi malapit dito sa alabang eh except Fabricio Laguna which is in Binan na. And the other choice for me would be Deftac in Gymaholic in Sucat, medyo may kalayuaan rin. But I started training MT again, what can I say! Kakahingal and sakit ulit sa sheens ko! Aray! Kelangan ko na ng Gentle art!

Gusto ko sana manuod ng NoGi sa Dec. 7 but Pacquiao vs. Dela Hoya rin yun! Kelan ba next competition!?

Sir Genetic pwede ba tayo magbuo ng team sa mga bjj tournaments! Team MTC!? Hehe... we will put a different meaning to BJJ! Hahaha... Joke lang! :thumbsupsmiley:

Sir Riceboi! where do you plan to take lessons sa BJJ?! Wala kasi malapit dito sa alabang eh except Fabricio Laguna which is in Binan na. And the other choice for me would be Deftac in Gymaholic in Sucat, medyo may kalayuaan rin. But I started training MT again, what can I say! Kakahingal and sakit ulit sa sheens ko! Aray! Kelangan ko na ng Gentle art!

Gusto ko sana manuod ng NoGi sa Dec. 7 but Pacquiao vs. Dela Hoya rin yun! Kelan ba next competition!?

Sir Genetic pwede ba tayo magbuo ng team sa mga bjj tournaments! Team MTC!? Hehe... we will put a different meaning to BJJ! Hahaha... Joke lang! :thumbsupsmiley:

Correction the Fabricio Laguna school is in Pacita in San Pedro (near my parents place. hehe) and not in Binan.

Anyhow the next competition (well as far as I know baka kasi may iba pang biglang sumulpot dyan) would be the BJJ Gi and No-Gi Nationals sa March na yun.

As for an MTC BJJ Team. Let's see. hehe interesting proposition you got there. hehehe.

Correction the Fabricio Laguna school is in Pacita in San Pedro (near my parents place. hehe) and not in Binan.

Anyhow the next competition (well as far as I know baka kasi may iba pang biglang sumulpot dyan) would be the BJJ Gi and No-Gi Nationals sa March na yun.

As for an MTC BJJ Team. Let's see. hehe interesting proposition you got there. hehehe.

sali ako dyan s amtc bjj team hehehhe genetic meron an bang dbtimkti 98 mma team what you think heheheh

Sorry if this question has appeared before - can anyone let me know of a contact of a good arnis instructor? I have solid martial arts background - shotokan, a little krav maga - and would like to contact a good instructor. I go back home on a regular basis and will be there next week, and would like to contact someone for my next visit.

Bosconian ka pala 98 autho tech here, cguro mas maganda dtimkti mma team

Bosconian ka pala 98 autho tech here, cguro mas maganda dtimkti mma team, sa batch ko kasi madami na me kilala nag mma eh

Hehe. DBTI MMA Team? Puwede. bro auto tech ka pala. would you happen to know Brian Laforteza? I think he studied Yaw Yan under Master Nap Fernandez before. Nagpm nga siya saken dati sa friendster asking me where I train kaso we lost touch na.

May idea ako hanap tayong mats tapos train tayong lahat sometime next year. Just rolling around and exchanging techniques then lets see if there are enough ppol to make up a possible MTC BJJ Club. hehe.

Sorry if this question has appeared before - can anyone let me know of a contact of a good arnis instructor? I have solid martial arts background - shotokan, a little krav maga - and would like to contact a good instructor. I go back home on a regular basis and will be there next week, and would like to contact someone for my next visit.

Arnis Classes are done at Classroom 2 UP Diliman DMST Quadrangle every t-th starting 6pm onwards. look for nathan or mang phil. Sorry I don't have their contact numbers.

Hehe. DBTI MMA Team? Puwede. bro auto tech ka pala. would you happen to know Brian Laforteza? I think he studied Yaw Yan under Master Nap Fernandez before. Nagpm nga siya saken dati sa friendster asking me where I train kaso we lost touch na.

May idea ako hanap tayong mats tapos train tayong lahat sometime next year. Just rolling around and exchanging techniques then lets see if there are enough ppol to make up a possible MTC BJJ Club. hehe.

yup barkada ko si lafo but lost contact narin tagal nanamin hindi mga nagkikita eh, yup its a good idea na meet cguro mga tag mtc then roll for fun lang the from there let see kung posibble to set up a team

hmmm.. oo nga san kaya maganda. ako personally anywhere from within north qc to alabang would be fine with me. hehe.

ahehehe parang buong metro manila na yan ah chief? ^_^

seriously, if you want we can ask for the Priests in DBTI Mkti about using the ground floor below the highschool classrooms for sessions every weekends... dun sa groundfloor ng gradeschool kasi mga nag TKD ata pa rin hanggang ngayon tuwing Saturday mornings. i haven't been to DBTI Mkti since i got married some yrs back sa DB Parish sa Mkti, hopefully meron akong mga Salesians na kabatch na ngayong sa DBTI mkti nag-seservice