Manual Or Automatic?

When it comes to driving, either system is fine with me, as long as they have enough refinement to be such a joy to use. Personal driving preferences aside, I don't think anyone can be an exclusive stickshift user in the face of an exquisite 7-speed BMW, 8-speed Lexus, or a 6-speed Porsche Tiptronic-equipped 911 Carrera. Much of the reason why a lot of diehard manual tranny fans despise automatics is because you don't have control over the gear selection, timing, and shift quality. Unless you're the kind of driver who's more like a passenger whose sole intent in entering a vehicle is to get from one place to another, those things can really make or break your driving experience.

That said, a similar thing can be mentioned about some manual tranny-equipped cars. In my opinion, too high a 1st gear is a lot of hassle in stop-and-go traffic, especially for someone who's aware of clutch wear and slippage. Honda's tend to have too high a 1st gear, while Mazda's are generally the opposite. I really don't mind chirping the tires launching from the light as much as I do nursing a slipping (and usually, chattering) clutch. Tires are much easier to replace. Besdies, it's fun to chirp the tires once a while.

Another negative aspect with manuals is when the gear ratios are too far apart, which is why the more speeds a tranny has, the better it usually is. 5-speeds stand to be better than 4-speeds in this regard, but most if not all 5-speeds are designed for overdrive on 5th, which then tends to eliminate the option of bunching up the rest of the 4 lower gears.

Another consideration when choosing between an automatic and a manual is the intended use for the vehicle. A comfortable family car works best with an automatic for obvious reasons, while a sporty car will do better with a manual, not only for reasons of power and efficiency ( a lot of dragsters are fitted with automatics), but also for the sound the engine makes as the cardrives down the road. Cars with free flowing exhaust systems make you sound like a sloppy driver when equipped with an automatic. Unless it had a torquey V8, I would rather keep the exhaust quiet than make it sound sporty only to "slip-the-clutch-like-an-amateur" through the gears. About the only time an automatic can sound cool is when you accelerate hard through the gears or do a "kickdown" while passing slower traffic--which makes it sound like a sequential shift gearbox. For tooling around town, it's best to keep it quiet.

Perhaps, the most fun to drive car for me would be one with a rev-happy engine mated to a close-ratio 6-speed sequential gearbox. Roadsters like the Honda S2000 or the Mazda Miata would be ideal cars for this combination. I think the bulk of the driving fun comes from winding the engine through the rev range then clicking snappy upshifts with the shifter. Of course, part of the challenge is to execute fluid hand and wrist motions in close perfect timing while remembering how far up the gears you are and how many "clicks" you need to pump out in order to be in the right gear for the next maneuver.

i prefer the stick shifts...but the problem is metro manila traffic...so the logical choice would be an auto tranny albeit going to the pumps more often......but i noticed that newer models shift to a higher gear in a much lower engine rpm than the old ones.....so some compromise has been set...

also check with your dealer if there is an auto lock built in. when a certain speed is reached the tranny locks with the engine effectively reducing fuel consumption

why not a combination manual and automatic

i agree, it's better to have both. most new cars have this already. BMW's steptronic i think, is the one that introduced it here. It's a combination manual and matic transmission. If you want to overtake then just slip it into steptronic mode and you can downshift ala F1 racing style. And the nice thing about it is that you don't have to step on the clutch because it is clutchless.

I wonder why Asian commercial vehicles don't come with automatic transmission. Most Asian commercial vehicle drivers are lousy shifters (don't use the 1st gear, up shifting even if the vehicle don't have enough momentum, etc) and natural born clutch riders.

for economical reason, manual transmission are cheaper