Philosphy: What Are Your Beliefs/ideology?

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, macbolan00 said:

On the one hand, what little about philosophy I've read is really interesting. On the other, I think philosophy, like theology, is a subject universities forgot to STOP teaching 200 years ago.

I'm wondering why those 1st world countries, like the UK, USA, Germany, Japan, Singapore, France are ones giving so much emphasis on Philosophy? Whereas, look at this very poor country, the Philippines -- only their top schools offer Philosophy. Are you wondering why we have the most stupid voters in the world?

Remember, the world's top technological university, MIT, is also one of the best Philosophy schools in the world. Almost half of Harvard Philo professors finished their PhD Philo (Doctor of Philosophy in Philosophy) at MIT.

• 2 months later...

Right now? Find out whether or not a person voted for Marcos Jr. A little creative questioning will work. For those who are guilty, DON'T DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. Teach them something useful

2. Lend them money

3. Extend to them any kind of help

4. Hire them

5. Train them

6. Promote them

7. Do business with them.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:23 AM, KID FIGHTER said:

I'm wondering why those 1st world countries, like the UK, USA, Germany, Japan, Singapore, France are ones giving so much emphasis on Philosophy? Whereas, look at this very poor country, the Philippines -- only their top schools offer Philosophy. Are you wondering why we have the most stupid voters in the world?

Remember, the world's top technological university, MIT, is also one of the best Philosophy schools in the world. Almost half of Harvard Philo professors finished their PhD Philo (Doctor of Philosophy in Philosophy) at MIT.

Assuming your basic premises are correct, it simply means developed countries give emphasis to all fields of knowledge. You don't have to single out philosophy. The fact that our educational system isn't quite up to the standards of those countries doesn't prove we have the most stupid voters in the world. Think of the contingencies: If those 31 million studied philosophy, would they still have voted for b0b0ng Narcos? Weird to think about, right?

And what's anyone's interest in just one school (MIT) having philosophy teachers who happen to have PhDs in philosophy? :rolleyes:

• 8 months later...
On 3/5/2022 at 9:23 AM, KID FIGHTER said:

Philosophy is lived, having a PhD in it is of no use except to make up nonsense like communism and woke things. It's better to be poor and realistic than being in pseudo philosophies the west make up and ruin the society 

Money is artificial. It is important, you should try to make as much of it, but at the end of the day, it is artificial. It entertains you but it will not buy you happiness.

I went through severe depression which nearly killed me. But this is the most important lesson I have learned through this very dark phase in my life.

At that time, I was splurging on anything I fancied. I was spending money on expensive restaurant even though I would later threw up what I ate because my digestive system was not working properly. I bought and expensive watch which is now just sitting in my closet (I haven't used it really).

It was then that I realized, that while money was entertaining me, the constant chest pain was still there. I could have received a vault full of cash and I would still feel that awful each morning. In fact, I would have given every cent I have if it meant for 5 minutes I did not feel the way I did.

It took really a while for me to get out of that abyss. After this, I started trying to serve a purpose higher than myself.  I continued with my profession not so much aiming for monetary reward, but rather focusing on just giving it the best I could.

• 10 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 7:35 PM, 491704_1622294340 said:

Life is suffering - our desires and expectations do not conform to the reality of the world, which is in a constant state of flux, thus we experience suffering

Yup. I can get behind that. The end of problems and suffering is death. So we should try to ease each other's suffering when we can and appreciate the times when that suffering is eased.

On 2/2/2023 at 11:43 PM, Edmund Dantes said:

Money is artificial. It is important, you should try to make as much of it, but at the end of the day, it is artificial. It entertains you but it will not buy you happiness.

I went through severe depression which nearly killed me. But this is the most important lesson I have learned through this very dark phase in my life.

At that time, I was splurging on anything I fancied. I was spending money on expensive restaurant even though I would later threw up what I ate because my digestive system was not working properly. I bought and expensive watch which is now just sitting in my closet (I haven't used it really).

It was then that I realized, that while money was entertaining me, the constant chest pain was still there. I could have received a vault full of cash and I would still feel that awful each morning. In fact, I would have given every cent I have if it meant for 5 minutes I did not feel the way I did.

It took really a while for me to get out of that abyss. After this, I started trying to serve a purpose higher than myself.  I continued with my profession not so much aiming for monetary reward, but rather focusing on just giving it the best I could.

Hey, I'm proud of you for getting out of that depression and happy for you that you're staying mentally healthy.

Money is a conduit for exchange and we learn the pleasures of material things early in life, and that is constantly reinforced by our capitalist society and our parents stressing over money.

Happiness comes from within, but the things without still affect us.

You're doing great. And if you find your heart in a good place, try helping out others with any extra money you have, but save some for yourself.

We're here for brief moments, and we still rely on our bodies to carry our hearts and minds beyond the present.

This is a little basic, but try to get a healthy diet and exercise going. Studies show that it helps combat or manage depression.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:29 AM, Vikram said:

Philosophy is lived, having a PhD in it is of no use except to make up nonsense like communism and woke things. It's better to be poor and realistic than being in pseudo philosophies the west make up and ruin the society 

I'll make the adjustment that Philosophy is to be shared.

Philosophy is the pursuit of wisdom, and I think the best use for wisdom is to share it rather than to keep it to ourselves.

On 5/24/2022 at 9:04 PM, macbolan00 said:

Assuming your basic premises are correct, it simply means developed countries give emphasis to all fields of knowledge. You don't have to single out philosophy. The fact that our educational system isn't quite up to the standards of those countries doesn't prove we have the most stupid voters in the world. Think of the contingencies: If those 31 million studied philosophy, would they still have voted for b0b0ng Narcos? Weird to think about, right?

And what's anyone's interest in just one school (MIT) having philosophy teachers who happen to have PhDs in philosophy? :rolleyes:

It's economic freedom, IMO. Once you have enough money to escape the daily grind, you're free to ponder about life.

The MIT thing is interesting because that school is primarily for technology. The top school for technology, in fact, so much so that other states and countries attempt to copy their culture and image by having their own institutes of technology. Perhaps the power of technology to change our lives led some professors to pursue philosophy. We have computers in our pockets that blow the computers that landed humanity on the moon out of the water. Anyone can be an influencer: learned or fool. Such power to change lives would naturally lead one to ponder, I think.

On 3/4/2022 at 5:23 PM, KID FIGHTER said:

We do have our own philosophies, we just didn't really make big academic deals about them. (But we should to advance the discourse. Or maybe there are classes in UP on Filipino philosophy. IDK, I didn't go to UP)

Our high happiness index ratings despite our high poverty rates indicates a philosophy of choosing happiness even in suffering.

On 1/3/2022 at 10:20 PM, macbolan00 said:

On the one hand, what little about philosophy I've read is really interesting. On the other, I think philosophy, like theology, is a subject universities forgot to STOP teaching 200 years ago.

I think it's that they forgot to update it and bring it to the modern day. There are many lessons in Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Confucius, Kant, Descartes, and their kind, but most of the classes I've taken read like history more than philosophy.

I personally recommend that people look into Adlerean psychology, and the book "The Courage to Be disliked". You might not agree, but it's a refreshing perspective, nonetheless.

On 5/29/2022 at 8:54 PM, courtesanhunter said:

to err is human.

To forgive is divine.

This is a great reminder and a well worn saying of humanists, like me.

People tend to forget that we all make mistakes and react harshly when we err, even when it's an innocent mistake.

We demand perfection when none of us are perfect.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:05 AM, K0RN - RETIR3D said:

Carpe Diem, Carpe Noctem.

You only live once.

Seizing the day and taking control of the course of your life is a powerful decision to make. Seizing the night might be toxic work culture or work hard play hard depending on your interpretation.