Philosphy: What Are Your Beliefs/ideology?

• 4 months later...

this is my philosophy.

The underlying worldview on which this classical notion of god was founded has been dramatically altered in the age of reason and science and yet the classical conception is still the dominant portrayal of god in established western religions.

In the old world view-

- the earth was young

- The species were fixed and specially created

- The earth was the center of the universe

- Man was the crown and purpose of creation.

- The universe was 3 story, heaven, earth and underworld

- Natural events were unexplainable mysteries

In the new world view

- the earth is ancient 4.5 billion yrs and the universe 14 billion years

- species are not fixed and mass extinctions and emergence of new species occurs

- the earth is an ordinary planet around an ordinary star in no special location

- Man is just another and recent species who recently appeared and evolved from lower primates

- The universe is unimaginably vast and there is no location for heaven or hell

- Nature is perceived as operating according to fixed immutable laws and revealed religion and supernatural intervention are largely rejected.

I am interested in altered conceptions of god which do not conflict with the modern worldview. I am primarily interested in philosophical conceptions of god from people who still allow for theism as a rational possibility. Is it possible to formulate a rational philosophical conception of god which does not conflict with experience, reason and science? Remember speculations do not have to be confirmed or even confirmable by science to remain possibilities. This is god as a philosophical speculation or conception not god as a scientific hypothesis.

As a start: I will suggest that god acts through nature and natural process. That nature is inherently self organizing and that order, complexity, life, mind and experience have emerged as part of a divine purpose or divine plan. God is not all powerful but very powerful. The primary divine value is creativity, to bring value from the primordial chaos and the formless void. Creation is an ongoing process not a completed act.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1am, 09/04/2011; I was standing right outside my brother's computer shop when I saw a slight commotion just across the street beside a funeral parlor, people were starting to gather around, I saw a man and an old lady sobbing while another man opened the back of the ambulance, it turned out that there was a woman at the back of the ambulance who just minutes ago, passed away. She died while giving birth on her way to the hospital apparently due to blood loss. I don't know why, but everytime I see scenes like this, whether on TV or in person, it would always bring me to a sad state of mind, as if I was the one who lost a loved-one and I can almost feel the man and the lady's sadness as if I were them. It led me to think about the dead woman's life, what she did for a living and how she lived her life in general; Was she a loving wife or mother? Did she have a successful career? Or was she just a commoner and a poor member of the society? And I was thinking: It really doesn't matter and it's all worthless now, now that she's dead. And I've come into realization that nothing in this life is really worth it and it does not matter how one lived his/her life because once you're dead, everything becomes irrelevant. Your career, how much or little money you have in the bank and even your relationships; These are all worthless at the end of it all. You can be a successful business man/woman, have a wonderful career, lovelife etc. but in the end, all the things you worked hard for becomes worthless and irrelevant, and the people you loved and knew would simply go on with their lives once you're gone.

Most people say we're here on purpose, and that the reason we live is because we have a "mission" to fulfill, (Please spare me from that, how about your mom and dad were feeling romatically cozy one cold evening and decided to exchange bodily fluids and 9 months later a cute little you was born! How's that for a reason?) On a serious note, I realized that each and every single one of us are all the same; in the sense that all of us merely goes through life's motions, much like all the other living entity on this earth. We breathe, we laugh and smile when we're happy, cry when we're sad, eat when we're hungry, sleep when we're tired. Simply because that's how nature designed us, much like a bird were given wings to fly, a fish given gills to breathe under the sea or a coackroach who's main existence was for it to eat our leftover food (and probably give some children a dose of horror every once in a while). You see, we're no different from any other living thing on earth, except that we were given a more complex brain compared to the rest of them.

So in conclusion, having said all that, I say people should start living and start enjoying life on a daily basis, don't think too much of what your future holds, focus on your short and midterm goals, take advantage of what you have right now regardless of what you'll be getting in the future, cherish your current relationships, enjoy life to the fullest, live for yourself and for the ones you love but mostly, live for yourself, do whatever makes you happy. Regrets are for sissies.

As shallow as it may sound, but that's the real purpose of life whether you like it or not.

Edited by SaToTooLang
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was in college, I was trying to combine the Thomistic and Christian Liberalism.

wow...di ko maintindihan.....nakakain ba yan...^_^. any i way i believe that life should be simple and yet it is not...ergo...i try to simplify difficult things...-_- (i know...easier said than done...but i try)

Edited by romyg
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...