Tips For The Newly Graduates

• 2 weeks later...

Tips for the newly grads: don't be choosy. Remember that your objective here is to gain experience (unless you already have them). Use internet as your medium for job hunting. Send your resumes as many as you can. You will surely receive some calls after a week or so (by just doing it) for initial interview. Who knows you might find your "dream" job here. And lastly, believe in yourself.

Tips for newly grads:

1. Erase everything you've learned in college (unless you will put up your own business) - you wont need them when hired.

2. Use more your commonsense than your book knowledge.

3. Asnwer questions straight to point. Never bullshit, admit when you don't know it...when asked "what time"- say exact time, never maaga, hapon, like most pips do. Remember, working is all about information transfer/sharing. The more objective you get the more effective and efficient you get.

This is true... Based from my experience and experiences of my friends... specially for number 1... It's very rare that you will be using what you learned in college... It;s very funny if you think about it, you spend 3,4-5 or even more years just to finish your studies, but in the end you just discard almost everything you've learned in those past years... It's really funny and frustrating if you really think about it.. (All those wasted years... hahaha!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
make sure to have your MBA specially if you didn't come from the Big 3 (U.P., Ateneo & La Salle).... no, not Masters in Business Adminstration, but to be practical, May Backer Ako. name of the game... simple reality... :thumbsdownsmiley:

I graduated from La Salle

and yes, I have interviewed lots before

and quite frankly....I never really cared much about the school that the person graduated from

at the end of the day, it is the individual that I hire

not the school

Enjoy nyo muna yung time after graduation kasi pag nag work na kayo wala ng pahinga at puro na lang reklamo

sabi nga ng iba be confident

i learned this from my proffesor in college , if you were to ask how much salary you want dont answer like "bahala na kayo" or "kahit minimum lang" e paano kung sabihin na piso lang papasweldo sa iyo :lol: beside from being confident dapat me pride din kayo pero wag namang sobra na sobrang laki ng asking nyo dapat mag research kayo kung magkano yung nararapat nyong sweldo ;))

i learned this from my proffesor in college , if you were to ask how much salary you want dont answer like "bahala na kayo" or "kahit minimum lang" e paano kung sabihin na piso lang papasweldo sa iyo :lol: beside from being confident dapat me pride din kayo pero wag namang sobra na sobrang laki ng asking nyo dapat mag research kayo kung magkano yung nararapat nyong sweldo ;))

couldnt agree more

when i ask, "what is your expected salary?" I expect a figure not a narrative.

• 2 weeks later...

My work station is right beside the personnel manager's (PM) station. She's a "well rounded" lady back there. One time a group of applicants where in the lobby filling up their employment application forms when the PM came in, one of the applicants daw said "pare ang laki ng pwet nuon ah" at nagtawanan sila. The PM heard all this but pretended not to be bothered by it. She went to her station and I heard her call up the receptionist and give instructions to her "dalhin mo agad sa akin yang mga application ng mga nasa labas". A few minutes later the receptionist handed her four application forms and I saw the PM immediately write the words "NQ" meaning not qualified on their application forms sabay sabi sa akin "mga bastos ang mga applicants na ito eh".

Moral lesson of the story..........huwag kayong presko pag nag a apply!!!

Kung newly grad ka dont look sa monetary muna, look for the experience na makukuha nyo sa company... after a few years ang taas kaagad ng value nyo... kayo na hahanapin ng mga company... and make network kpag nsa trabaho na kayo... lalo if your an engineer.... (based on my experience)....

nagsimula ko magtrabaho as in sobrang liit ng sweldo, pero after 1 year, wow... dami kaagad offer here in and abroad...

1. don't think that the world will end if your job application is rejected.

2. fastforward, tell your children to do great and learn as much in grade school. then you will not have to worry about what happens to them in high school and college. remember, those who get accepted by the proverbial top 2 (i believe, no.3 could be any school) are those with strong basic education.

3. bosses can play gods, but they aren't gods. but worship them just the same. but only on your first 6 months.

4. be friends with the influential. and these aren't always the big C's. it could be the ceo's driver or the prez's EA.

5. if you have plans to climb the corporate ladder. don't take any MBA. seriously. take master of fine arts in creative writing or Phd in music. it should not be related to business.

6. don't draw the first blood. BUT --

7. contradict initiatives. but you got to be really smart to do this. initiatives are refined by attacks.

Tips for newly grads:

1. Erase everything you've learned in college (unless you will put up your own business) - you wont need them when hired.

2. Use more your commonsense than your book knowledge.

3. Asnwer questions straight to point. Never bullshit, admit when you don't know it...when asked "what time"- say exact time, never maaga, hapon, like most pips do. Remember, working is all about information transfer/sharing. The more objective you get the more effective and efficient you get.

I beg to disagree on item number 1. If you are applying for a specific job requiring specific training (example engineering, accounting, architecture or nursing) you need to remember all the theories/formulas/concepts taught to you in school, otherwise you may find yourself in a situation in which your peers will tell you straight in your face "hindi ba itinuro yan sa inyo sa school"?

Edited by dakota

Hi.. We are a holding company engaged in a lot of different kinds of business.. We are currently recruiting dynamic individuals aspiring for a Management Position.. You will start as a Management Trainee.. You will have to undergo some trainings for 6-months before you start on you field or line of business.. Please send your resume to me as personal message.. Ty..

Edited by BiG_DoGG

1. Don't be afraid to try. A lot of new grads today won't apply to their dream companies simply because they think they aren't educated enough, don't have a lot of experience, can't dress well, or whatever justification they can think of. Well, guess what? Even the most qualifed get rejected. Sure there are cases of discrimination. I myself have experienced it, which is another story. Even so, you won't know until you give it a try, and those who succeed in life are those who believe they can.

2. Don't be intimidated by the interviewer. You can search the Web for tips on how to make an impact in an interview. I myself have breezed through the exams, only to flunk in the interview because I didn't know what to say and how to say it well. You need to acquire what my officemate refers to as "bullshitting skills". The term might sound funny or crude to others, but it's my officemate's way of saying that you can land a job if you can highlight your qualifications, kind of like "selling" yourself. And by the way, the interviewer who's mouthing English bullets at you have also gone through the same process as you will or have, and most likely have experienced a few rejections or we'll-just-call-you moments along the way.

3. Know what you're getting into; research about the company. Put yourself in the employer's shoes. Would you hire an employee who doesn't even know what the company does, or even its friggin name? Would you hire an employee who doesn't know what he or she is applying for? Ask yourself those questions before you even start applying.

These are just some of the things I can think of right now. Good luck to the new grads.