His Airness Michael Jordan

revo20012000

You are such a hater. You end up trolling the thread everytime a good post for MJ shows up. "Wasn't even enthusiastic", i'm just gonna smh on this one. You know what you sound like? A bitter old man, someone who is bitter because you feel that your guy Larry Bird isn't getting enough praise that's why you keep on repeating whatever point you already mentioned in your previous posts recycling it over and over. Just stop with the trolling already. This is an MJ thread and posting stuff that puts MJ down just to make your guy look good sounds jealous and vindictive. You can And as for the fanboy comment, for someone who is supposedly knowledgeable on the game of basketball, I'm surprised you don't know who Bruce Blitz is, he actually doesn't just talk he uses videos as reference and analyzes the game on an in depth level. He sounds about right with because he backs it up with facts. And you don't know him? If he is a fanboy as you say, you are basically the same because you are a Larry Bird homer, a fanboy of Bird and a hater of MJ.

I just had an idea, you have a youtube account right? Why don't you engage Bruce Blitz on a debate on who's better Larry Bird or MJ if not I will message him on youtube and ask him to make a video and look at the situation and make a conclusion. You probably won't debate with the guy because you think he's a "fanboy" not that much different from you if you ask me. His email is bruceblitzed@gmail.com and he has a youtube account with all NBA analysis videos and things about the 80's and MJ.

I'm pretty sure Magic doesn't sound "enthusiastic" here as well :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_DJjYw9R-w

QUOTES:

"WE WERE PLAYING AS HARD AS WE COULD, AND HE TOOK IT TO A WHOLE NOTHER LEVEL"

'MAGIC & LARRY, THERE'S A NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN"

By the way, being a good team player is half the battle of being considered a great player. You have to be a great player individually.

On a game of one on one. MJ will destroy Larry Bird, why? Even if Larry Bird is a great shooter. He can't knock those down all day because MJ will wear him out on D. He will eventually miss, and MJ will get him offensively. Because one weakness that Bird has is his defense. He is a decent defender but one on one against MJ he is a liable mismatch defensively. MJ will win

Edited by hahnz

Larry Bird admits Michael Jordan would 'k*ll' him one-on-one these days

By Matt Moore | NBA writer

July 27, 2015 5:35 PM ET

Once upon a time, Larry Bird was the greatest trash-talker of them all. The Hick from French Lick used to absolutely tear down his opponents with his mouth. While Michael Jordan, Kevin Garnett, Gary Payton and others would come along to top him, Bird still goes down as one of the flat-out coolest trash-talkers in the league.

But in a terrific interview with the Dan Patrick Show on Monday, it became clear that Basketball Jesus has gone soft in his old age. He admits Michael Jordan would "crush him" one-on-one these days.

From the Score.com:

"I hate to admit this, but (Jordan) would k*ll me," a jovial Bird said. "I'm forty pounds more than I was when I played, I'm broken down, I really don't care like I used to ... I have a fight in me but it's not the fight that I once had."

However, the hyper-competitive Bird did give himself some rightful credit. "But it would be a pretty close game," Bird added.

This one's pretty obvious. Jordan said back in June he could take all the Hornets one-on-one, right now. He dunked two weeks ago. He's kept himself in shape (although he's also still partying it up, apparently). It is kind of interesting that Bird admitted that his "fight" isn't the same. This was one of the most competitive guys on the planet. But eventually, that all fades away.

Unless you're MJ.

- Ok Mason, i know you are going to say something about this because you never run out of things (excuses) to say just so you could defend your precious Larry Bird. I won't stop you but I'm just letting you know that i expect you to say something because you will hahaha

Edited by hahnz

Hahahaha! I already read that article a couple of months back. Did you even understand what Bird was talking about? He was talking of his present state. This is an inane article. Bird owned Jordan when they were still in the NBA. That's a fact.

Amusing is all i can say. For you to insinuate that i don't understand what he was talking about. If they played each other today. He admitted that MJ would k*ll him.

And even if they did play in their primes. MJ would win. I will go as far as saying that Bird will keep it close but in the end MJ will win. 10-8 would be the final score.

I'm going to repeat what i said. Bird would have the advantage with the post up but throughout the game he will fade because he will get worn out. MJ would win.

That video you posted are plays that happened within a game. Those are just instances. I'm talking about straight up one on one no cameras just the 2 of them in a gym playing against each other. I would enjoy the trash talking going back and forth but the outcome would be in MJ's favor.

You know why i call you a hater? its these types of comments that you make you a hater that you claim as facts "he wasn't enthusiastic when he said it" ok. I don't know what your definition of fact is but this statement is not a fact. How do you know if Magic was enthusiastic when he said that MJ was the greatest of all time? By reading his expression, and then making a conclusion that its a fact? Maybe its your fact in your mind but not Magic's. Or are you going to tell me, that your a mind reader and you can tell if Magic is enthusiastic or not? haha. That's a laugh and a half.

There's nothing wrong if you admit that you're a Jordan hater because its a common thing. There are haters, there are Kobe haters, Bird haters, Magic haters. So you're no different than the fanboys you don't claim to be. I don't even want to say anything about those other statements you made about when MJ left the bulls still had a good record. Because i have an answer for that and i don't really want to bother with it. You keep posting the same stuff anyway. I always post some new stuff.

If Larry Bird is as great as you claim him to be. Why didn't guys like Magic, his nemesis in the 80's say that he is the greatest? He doesn't hate the guy, he actually respects him and loves him. He has no ulterior motive to dump in Larry because he won more times than Larry did. So there is no personal reason why Magic would hate Bird. If anything, he should be one of the haters of MJ because he beat him in the finals, and he was more successful than he was. Ex NBA players have a tendency to hate other players who played after them because they see them as threats to their legacy. But why does he say that MJ is the greatest? Because he is.

By the way i asked Bruce Blitz to make video comparing your Larry Bird and MJ. I'm interested to hear what he has to say. You should go on youtube and debate him, or you only like to debate me on this subject you should expand more and debate other people.

That's the end of my soliloquy. I've said my piece. I'm going to post the next Bruce Blitz video once its up. Stop trolling everytime i put up MJ videos. THis is an MJ appreciation thread not a debate thread on whos better.

If you want request a Larry Bird thread so you can post your fanboy Larry Bird is the greatest comments.

I'm going way ahead of you because i already expect you to post some cockamamie retort and say its a fact, by saying that the one on one game is played both ways, not just shooting. Larry Bird gotta play some D too, but he is not that great of a defensive player. Larry Bird can shoot i don't doubt that but there is no way that he will be perfect with his post up moves, he won't be able to get to the basket as much either as he will be defended well by a player who was once voted Defensive player of the year and has been always on the All NBA- First team defense. He will rely on post ups and shoot from the outside since he won't be able to get to the basket, but he won't be able to keep shooting outside because he will miss.

And as far as his defense goes, he won't be able to stop MJ on D because as much as I think that he is a decent defensive player. He won't be able to keep up with the athleticism, quickness and strength as MJ will get to the basket.

If this game was played with just shooting. Bird might get my nod. But one on one? Let's just say i won't bet against MJ

Edited by hahnz

Haha! When Bird said today, he meant the present. How old is Larry Bird? Even I agree that Jordan would beat Larry because Larry is old. Did you watch the televised one on one of Dr. J and Kareem? Kareem beat Dr. J because the Doctor was smaller. Julius was quicker but he was smaller. Using that as a basis, Larry will beat Michael. What's your basis? Your imagination?

Well they're both old, Larry being older a bit than MJ. The Kareem and Dr. J one on one game was pathetic, they were both old and barely had di anything spectacular because they were past their primes. Don't even use that as a comparison because that was a mismatch for Dr. J. They should have picked a player who played closer to Dr. J's position to go against him, a forward or a guard. Not a center. My basis for MJ winning a one on one game against Bird is his defense, did you even bother to read my post? My imagination. SMH + Facepalm. Let me repeat it for you. Even if Bird can post up MJ he wouldn't be able to get close to the basket because MJ is strong. Bird won't be able to back him down. So he will resort to shooting 15 feet and beyond. MJ is a beast defensively. As the game will wear on, Bird will fade and start to miss from the outside. Defense is the deciding factor here, MJ will have a better chance of stopping Bird than Bird is with stopping MJ on defense. I will say it again. Bird's defense is non existent. I've seen the games, you don't even bother to mention his defense because he's no stopper. Unless by some miracle, he goes 10-10 from the field in the one on one game. I don't see him winning. His height won't really matter too much because MJ will body him up and it will take a toll as the game wears on.

If he can't defend MJ then MJ will take this game for sure. And I'm definitely sure that Bird can't defend MJ. If it takes at least 3 people defending MJ in order to stop him then Bird has no chance by himself

Bird defending MJ at 22 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi1aO17iKxI

Edited by hahnz

Hahaha! Pathetic because you said so? Hilarious. My point is Kareem is bigger than Julius. Both are superstars and both may have been past their primes but they were still contributing to their teams' success. Bird would post up Jordan repeatedly and MJ wouldn't have been able to do anything about it. On defense, all Bird has to do is stay in the lane and let Jordan beat him from the outside. On offense, all Larry has to do is bully the Bull in the post. What? You're showing one instance when Jordan got his shot on Bird? By the way, who won that game again? What about posting videos of Bird bullying Jordan in the post?

And I'm definitely sure that Bird can't defend MJ. If it takes at least 3 people defending MJ in order to stop him then Bird has no chance by himself. We're not talking about the game, we are talking about one on one. Stop diverting the attention and focus on the topic at hand.

I already showed you a video just as an example. I am not fond of showing videos. I can show you more if you want. I can show you the times Jordan got destroyed by Larry in the post. You are so blinded by your belief that MJ is the greatest that you can't even admit that MJ would get destroyed by Larry one on one. I already showed you a couple of my bases for that. Go again to youtube and check out the games of the Cs and Bulls in the 80s.

Larry Bird can shoot i don't doubt that but there is no way that he will be perfect with his post up moves, he won't be able to get to the basket as much either as he will be defended well by a player who was once voted Defensive player of the year and has been always on the All NBA- First team defense. He will rely on post ups and shoot from the outside since he won't be able to get to the basket, but he won't be able to keep shooting outside because he will miss.

Saw those clips you said, they don't tell the whole story. That it took a plethora, i repeat, a plethora of players double, triple teaming MJ and yet still had a hard time stopping him. If its one on one, then Bird will have no chance

I really don't care about his opinions as I know my facts. Are you butthurt that I am discrediting your hero, MJ, by posting cold, hard facts? Like I said, MJ is a great player. Just not greater than Larry.

I'm surprised that you're a Knick fan and you're defending MJ like a Bulls homer. Do you know the name Bernard King? I mean if you don't, I would say that you're just a fairweather fan. I don't need to google what Bernard King is to the Knicks because I have watched this guy play on an otherwordly level. He was arguably the second-best shooting forward in the East during that time. In terms of competitive ferocity, he'd be right up there with Jordan and Bird.

Bernard King and his Knicks took the Celtics (who would win the championship that year) to 7 games in the East semis in 1984 and Bernard was a major reason why the Knicks took the Celtics to the full route. If we go by logic, the Knicks were in the realm of the Lakers that year (who lost the championship to the Celtics) because it also took the Celtics 7 games to upend the Lakers in the 1984 finals. At least, Bernard and the Knicks gave Larry and the Cs a difficult time before bowing. The Bulls and your hero never had a chance against the Celtics as they clobbered the hapless Bulls in back to back sweeps in 1986 and 1987.

Don't treat me like I'm some 2nd rate who doesn't know basketball. I know very well who Bernard King is. I know how much of an offensive force he is, but i don't see him playing D he is a great scorer but not so average defender. That's why he never got to the ship.

I don't need to rebut your so called facts because I've seen you repost them before and I had an answer for them. I don't need to repeat myself. Go back and backread on those topics because I don't want to be redundant.

I'm a knick, blue and orange. But i don't see the crime in throwing your hands up for a player of MJ's caliber. So i don't appreciate you calling me a homer. Maybe because i called you a Larry Bird fanboy. Don't worry it'll be our little secret haha

Anyway, this is the last time i will touch on this subject. Because we can go back and forth posting on what we know that makes the other one better.

Again stop trolling on this thread because this isn't a debate thread its an appreciation for the art that MJ paints on the basketball court. So you should stop putting up "Oh Larry Bird beat MJ, Larry bird is better.. blah blah blah" everytime i post something about MJ. That comes off as hate from a bitter old man seeking glory for his guy on a thread of another player. Because right on queue, after an MJ post, there you are seeking attention and posting stuff for Larry Bird. You see what I'm talking about. This is not a debate thread, its an appreciation thread.

On a final note, i don't hate Larry Bird, i just don't think he is better than other players. He is top 5 though.

Anyway, here is a nice Mcdonald's commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shK-j_u6LI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3zZ2OUVgPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6VKOq45j5o

"If I Could be like Mike"

Sometimes I dream
That he is me
You've got to see that's how I dream to be
I dream I move, I dream I groove
Like Mike
If I could Be Like Mike
Like Mike
Oh, if I could Be Like Mike
Be Like Mike, Be Like Mike
Again I try
Just need to fly
For just one day if I could
Be that way
I dream I move
I dream I groove
Like Mike
If I could Be Like Mike
I wanna be, I wanna be
Like Mike
Oh, if I could Be Like Mike

Maybe Bird didn't want to sing because his Pacers lost to Mike in the ECF in 1998. LOL.

Edited by hahnz

By the way, before calling me bitter, I was not the one who created the Larry-Magic thread. You requested it to be created because you were being outargued by yours truly in this thread and you needed a Magic-Larry thread to put Larry down. When I exposed the Magic is greater than Larry myth, you had no ammo to counter it. You're the one sounding like a bitter old man because you can't disprove the facts I presented on this thread, hence, you put up another thread to try to put Larry down but when I presented facts and opinions based on facts, you were still not able to discredit it.

That's quite an accusation. Can you prove that i requested a thread like that for that reason? Prove it then get back to me. Can you prove that i created a magic-larry thread because you are CLAIMING, i repeat, CLAIMING, that i created that to put Bird down, without any evidence. That would make you look like a paranoid guy for falsely claiming something against another without any proof. Anyway, stop confabulating stories with your imagination. I wanted to talk about those 2 guys because i saw the documentary about them and i thought that they should be compared to each other because they were the faces of the NBA in the 80's, not because i wanted to put your Larry Bird down. So again, find a very convincing evidence before you make false accusations.

Edited by hahnz

It didn't enter my mind at the time. What does the debate of MJ have anything to do with the Magic-Larry thread? Nothing, the thread is about Magic and Larry. I don't know what you're trying to imply but you should stop watching conspiracy movies and trying to make connections where there is none. The creation of that thread has nothing to do with the MJ debate.

You sound very bitter when you think that i did that to put Larry Bird down. I know you're a fanboy of his but thats not a reason for me to do anything like that. You need to stop confabulating conspiracy theories. No connection with how i created the thread with another thing.

I'm done answering this false accusation. I don't need a reason to do what i do and i don't have to answer to anyone for anything i'm doing

Edited by hahnz

You can make all the excuses you want but as far as I am concerned, you put that thread to try and win an argument against Bird but your anti-Bird arguments got stuffed convincingly. Anyway, since this is a Jordan thread and it doesn't in any way imply that it is a Jordan appreciation thread, I will balance the views and give quotes from former NBA players.

See what i mean? Excuses? Look if you don't have anything concrete called "Proof" then you should stop posting "crazy talk". it makes one weak because they have nothing else to say or have no proof, so they resort to saying," oh its an excuse," blah blah blah. like i said this is the last time im going to reply to "crazy talk". Give me evidence that proves your accusation, if not, then stop confabulating

Edited by hahnz

Crazy talk? It is called deduction, hahnz. You should have put that Larry-Magic thread way, way before our debate.

Deduction is not 100% accurate thats why you need evidence. It can also mean crazy talk, like conspiracy theory or paranoia. also more commonly known as:

Apophenia is the human tendency to perceive meaningful patterns within random data.

Keyword in this meaning being random.

Like i said, if you have no concrete evidence and instead rely on deduction. Then its Apophenia

Edited by hahnz

5-on-5: Debating the all-time greats

Who are the greatest players in NBA history? Where does Steph Curry rank? Our ESPN panel has created the All-Time #NBArank Top 100. (The Top 10 will be revealed on Tuesday and Wednesday.) Now it's time for a few NBA players and coaches to share their thoughts in this special edition of 5-on-5.

Who's your top 5 of all time?

Doc Rivers (former All-Star guard and current Clippers GM/coach): I always start with Magic [Johnson] and Michael [Jordan], and then it gets murky from there. For me, I go next to Bill Russell. I don't think a player can win that many titles and not be in there.

I'm going to put Oscar Robertson fourth. The guy averaged triple-doubles, and also because people have no idea about the social s--- that he had to go through to be a basketball player. And he was still a great. My fifth -- and I go back and forth on this from Larry Bird to LeBron [James] to Tim Duncan -- but I'm going with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Jason Kidd (former All-Star guard and current Bucks coach): Magic, Michael, Oscar, LeBron, and I would have to put in Shaq. They had on the Lakers TV the other night, the Lakers playing New Jersey (in the 2002 NBA Finals) and we are playing f---ing really good in Game 4 and there was nothing we could do with Shaq. Nothing.

Walt Frazier (Hall of Fame guard and current Knicks commentator): [Wilt] Chamberlain, Russell, Robertson, put Jordan in there, Kareem. If they played today, they would be greater than they were when we played. Chamberlain would average 60-70 points today. He averaged 50 back then, when you could maul people and beat them up. What would he do today?

Brett Brown (current coach of the 76ers): It ends up like, "Do you really love steak or do you really love lobster?" There's a lot of good food out there. You'd have to go with Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Tim Duncan, Larry Bird and, I'll go with one of our own, Julius Erving.

Chris Bosh (current Heat power forward): No. 1? I have to say Jordan. No. 2 is Kareem. No. 3 is Magic. Uh, shoot, man. I'd probably go Bill Russell No. 4. Man, this is so hard. LeBron's close but he's still got some work to do. I mean, we're talking about guys who played 20 years in the league and their work is done. LeBron's still writing it, which is scary.

I probably have to say Timmy [Duncan], because he redefined his game so many times. He's done everything. He's won the championship as the young guy and the old guy. That really counts. That's my list. But I'm partial to big men.

- They each give different players comprising their Top 5 but the one player they put there is Michael Jordan

Edited by hahnz
  • Like (+1) 1

5-on-5: Can LeBron catch MJ?

post-481684-0-42759000-1455159696_thumb.jpg

The All-Time #NBArank has concluded with Michael Jordan landing in the top spot. Our experts weigh in on all things Jordan, including their favorite MJ moments and whether LeBron James will ever surpass His Airness.

1. Rank your top three Jordan moments.

J.A. Adande, ESPN.com:

1. The glare he gave the media in the midst of scoring 55 points in Game 4 of the 1993 NBA Finals. It was as if he had conquered everyone on the court, and he felt the need to take on us as well.

2. How wobbly he looked while walking into the arena for Game 5 of the 1997 Finals, the Flu Game. He sure didn't look like he had 38 points in him.

3. Going downstairs at old Chicago Stadium before a game in the 1993 Eastern Conference finals and hearing Jordan chirping, to no one in particular, "Three-peat! Three-peat!"

Chris Broussard, ESPN The Magazine:

1. I was an eighth-grader lying in bed sick with the flu, watching the 1982 NCAA championship game between Georgetown and North Carolina. With 17 seconds left, freshman Michael Jordan attempted a game-winning jump shot. As soon as MJ released the shot, I remember saying to myself, "This guy is going to be great!" Make or miss, I was sold on Jordan at that moment because he had the guts to take the game-winner with All-American upperclassmen James Worthy and Sam Perkins on his team. Of course he hit the shot.

2. MJ's game-winning, playoff series-clinching jump shot against Cleveland in 1989. As a Clevelander, part of me was rooting for the Cavs, but as an MJ fan and a basketball fan, part of me wanted Jordan to keep playing. Tremendous game. Tremendous shot.

3. I could say the game-winning, Finals-clinching shot against Utah, but I'll go with Game 1 of the 1992 Finals against Portland. MJ hits six 3-pointers, scores 35 first-half points, and gives us all a shoulder shrug for the ages.

Amin Elhassan, ESPN Insider:

1. Shot over Bryon Russell to win his sixth title. Lost in the annals of history is that MJ was having an awful shooting game but basically willed the Bulls to a win with a steal on one end and a game-winning J.

2. The 63-point playoff game vs. the Celtics in 1986. Gave us the Larry Bird "God disguised as Michael Jordan" quote.

3. For some reason, I'll never forget Washington Wizards MJ blocking Ron Mercer by just snatching the ball midair with two hands.

Kevin Pelton, ESPN Insider:

1. The shot over Russell to win the 1998 NBA Finals. Come on, what else?

2. Passing to Steve Kerr for the winning shot of the 1997 NBA Finals.

3. The Flu Game.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com:

1. Jordan's 63-point playoff game in Boston Garden, because this child of the '80s simply couldn't process how someone could do that to those Celtics.

2. Jordan's flu game in Utah in 1997, because that was the first NBA Finals that I got to cover in my fourth season covering this league.

3. Jordan's final All-Star Game in Atlanta in 2003, because that was my first All-Star Game working for ESPN.

post-481684-0-90073800-1455159703_thumb.jpg

2. What is the most underrated aspect of Jordan's career?

Adande: HIs ability to describe his greatness. It's not easy to formulate the proper responses when constantly asked how great you are, yet Jordan managed to find the narrow path of providing proper perspective without wallowing in arrogance.

Broussard: His fundamentals. Most people think about MJ's otherworldly athleticism, tremendous one-on-one ability, and unmatched competitiveness. Practically an entire generation of players became one-on-one and iso guys -- and an entire generation of scouts and talent evaluators became obsessed with "athleticism'' -- because of Jordan's greatness in those areas.

But what most don't realize, or focus on, is the fact that it was Jordan's ability to combine his great athleticism with terrific fundamentals and an understanding of the game that made him the greatest ever.

Elhassan: Subjugation to the system. He inadvertently ushered in the glorification of Hero Ball due to his penchant for late-game heroics, but at his most dominant and successful, MJ played within the system and sacrificed volume numbers for greater team success.

Pelton: It's hard to find much that hasn't been given credit by this point, but I'll say his passing. I've always been curious what might

have happened had Jordan stayed at point guard, where he averaged eight assists per game in 1988-89, Doug Collins' last year as head coach.

Stein: Underrated? Not a word we often associate with His Airness. If I reach I suppose I would look at all those points he scored in his peak years without the benefit of prolific 3-point shooting. You have to believe that, were MJ playing now, he'd find a way to transform himself into a consistent 40-percenter from deep, but he didn't make much use of the long ball until after his dalliance with baseball.

Which reminds me: The more underrated aspect of his career is really the fact he was able to play Double-A baseball off the street. Hitting. 202 and playing in 127 games for the Birmingham Barons with no baseball experience as an adult is still way tougher than it sounds.

3. Describe the gap between Jordan and the other greats in NBA history.

post-481684-0-09126000-1455159712_thumb.jpg

Adande: There's no way to quantify the gap because there's no objective measure that explains Jordan at No. 1. (You could say he's the all-time leader in PER, but that would mean you believe Neil Johnston ranks ahead of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson). My criterion is simply: If I needed to win a playoff game, Jordan would be my first pick.

Broussard: I agree that MJ is the GOAT, but it's certainly arguable that runner-up Abdul-Jabbar, who finished far behind MJ, fourth place Johnson, or fifth place Wilt Chamberlain could claim that spot. Kareem had the most unstoppable shot in history, won a record six MVPs, averaged 23 points a game as a 38-year-old and played a key role on a championship team at age 41.

Magic was perhaps the only player in history who could have been an All-Star at all five positions (when the game still had great big men), and Wilt's individual statistics are beyond belief. But MJ changed conventional wisdom. Before him, the general belief was that you couldn't build a dynasty around a shooting guard; nor could a guy lead the league in scoring and (consistently) win titles. MJ did both.

Elhassan: I think because of the era MJ came up in, the gap is more pronounced then it probably actually is. The marketing push for the NBA in the late '80s and '90s and the rise of sneaker culture made Jordan a household name across the globe, and that adds a considerable amount of shine to his legacy. But players like Abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, Johnson and Chamberlain all had their own dominant histories, with feats that Jordan didn't accomplish. I'm not a fan of comparing across eras for this reason: greatness is greatness.

Pelton: I don't think it's enormous in terms of total value, but there's no single player who can match Jordan in every aspect: peak value, longevity, playoff impact and iconic moments. That's what separates Jordan from everyone else in league history.

Stein: Remember how I said I'm a child of the '80s? As such, Magic and Larry are my standard-bearers, even though Bird obviously didn't have the longevity -- due to injury -- to assemble a top-five resume. The gap has always been extremely modest on this scorecard. I don't have Magic miles behind MJ ... and I'm not apologizing for that.

I'd also argue that Bill Russell has to be in the top five (ahead of both LeBron and Wilt for me) because of all the winning he's done. In any case I think it's no secret that I've never been a Jordan Lords Above All guy. The fact he never had a consistent rival team or player that he had to grapple with and get past, like Magic did with Bird or Russell did with Wilt, has always cost him a point or two with me.

4. True or False: LeBron James has a chance to surpass Jordan as the greatest of all time.

post-481684-0-89089800-1455159719_thumb.jpg

Adande: False. It's impossible, because even if LeBron wins five more championships he won't be able to erase his four NBA Finals losses. LeBron would have been better off competing directly against Jordan, because trying to battle the legend of Jordan is impossible -- especially because Jordan's 6-0 Finals record can never be tarnished.

Broussard: False. LeBron is deserving of top-five status, but he's not and never will be, as good as MJ.

Elhassan: False. That ship has sailed for LeBron, barring a highly unlikely run of championships to end his career.

Pelton: I'd say it's still in the realm of possibility, but James has to start winning more championships in a hurry. Jordan's advantage in titles at this point makes it too easy to dismiss how James may ultimately blow by his career totals by playing much longer.

Stein: Don't see it. Not sure there's enough time left in LeBron's career to win enough titles to make people forget A) He's 2-4 in the

NBA Finals so far or B) That Jordan was 6-0 on the game's grandest stage. Leading the Cavs to an upset in the 2016 Finals and ending the Cleveland Curse -- if they could somehow dethrone mighty Golden State -- would certainly help in terms of changing the narrative.

But I'm afraid not much nuance is applied to these debates. Which is why you rarely hear the part about LeBron's teams being favored in only one of the four trips to the Finals (2011 versus Dallas) that he lost.

post-481684-0-18306400-1455159731_thumb.jpg

5. Sum up Michael Jordan in 23 words.

Adande: His tongue wagged, his eyes seared with competitive fire, he soared through the air and took the rest of us along in flight.

Broussard: Impeccably skilled, incredibly athletic, incomparably competitive, graceful. His statue sums him up: "The best there ever was. The best there ever will be.''

Elhassan: Greatest shooting guard ever. The blueprint for the modern player. Sociopath-level competitor. The Godfather of sports marketing. Work in progress basketball executive.

Pelton: The single greatest player in NBA history, but also the greatest narrative arc -- perfectly timed for the world to embrace a basketball star.

Stein: So transcendant that my 12-year-old, born months AFTER MJ's last game, studies Jordan's shoe history like it's his future college major.

Edited by hahnz