Computer Troubleshooting And Repair

HI. need help. My Hp dv2415nr laptop suddenly won't boot a few weeks ago. The optical disk and hard drive will light for a few second and then stop. I searched the internet and apparently it is common problem for HP2000 model - motherboard/bios daw. Looks like a problem that HP itself can't solved (apparently the problem persist even when the motherboard were replaced with a new one).

without replacing the motherboard, can this be solved by having a bootable (vista) disk/usb?

Thanks.

HI. need help. My Hp dv2415nr laptop suddenly won't boot a few weeks ago. The optical disk and hard drive will light for a few second and then stop. I searched the internet and apparently it is common problem for HP2000 model - motherboard/bios daw. Looks like a problem that HP itself can't solved (apparently the problem persist even when the motherboard were replaced with a new one).

without replacing the motherboard, can this be solved by having a bootable (vista) disk/usb?

Thanks.

nope. because you need to boot the CMOS first, which is the mobo before it boots from a disk or a usb.

try mo muna i-reset yung CMOS mo. if it does not work, time to change MOBOs.

Thanks.

Hi gzorros,

You are right, your notebook might be included in the Limited Warranty Service Enhancement Program of HP which affects some notebook models namely dv3, dv6, dv6, v3000,v6000, etc. The only solution to this is to have the motherboard replaced. No matter what troubleshooting you perform, those fixes are only temporary and your issue just continue to exist unless the motherboard is replaced. If your notebook still has warranty, i suggest you call HP support so that a repair service can be setup for your notebook. I hope this helps.

sensya na po di ko alam kung saan ipo-post tong question ko paki lipat na lang po.

i have a multiple workstation, gusto ko po malaman kung paano ko gagawin na hindi makapag navigate ang internet explorer sa ibang website at hindi makapag open ng ibang application ang mga user.

meron po bang software na kailangan or may kailangan lang baguhin sa settings?

i hope someone could help me... thanks in advance :mtc:

try setting the proxy parameter on IE to "localhost" or loopback. then disallow non-admin user to make changes. this will allow any http request not to be forwarded

regarding sa hindi makapag open ng ibang application, will need to consider first if you have a workgroup or computers na member ng domain - may domain controller

sensya na po di ko alam kung saan ipo-post tong question ko paki lipat na lang po.

i have a multiple workstation, gusto ko po malaman kung paano ko gagawin na hindi makapag navigate ang internet explorer sa ibang website at hindi makapag open ng ibang application ang mga user.

Install ka ng software firewall or HARDWARE like Astaro....

i can help you with this. san location mo?

its either you use a router or a firewall where you control everything centrally.

PM me na lang.

Edited by Google

I installed YM recently and afterwards my computer started to behave erratically I searched, found a Trojan Horse and removed it. I still have the erratic behaviour but I cannot find any more viruses. I now have YM, Yahoo and MyYahoo and they all seem to clash with each other. I'm thinking of uninstalling YM, which is the latest Philippines version, 9. Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest Leviticus
I installed YM recently and afterwards my computer started to behave erratically I searched, found a Trojan Horse and removed it. I still have the erratic behaviour but I cannot find any more viruses. I now have YM, Yahoo and MyYahoo and they all seem to clash with each other. I'm thinking of uninstalling YM, which is the latest Philippines version, 9. Any advice would be appreciated.

go to www.oldapps.com and download an old version of YM, maybe 8.1.1

Hi gzorros,

You are right, your notebook might be included in the Limited Warranty Service Enhancement Program of HP which affects some notebook models namely dv3, dv6, dv6, v3000,v6000, etc. The only solution to this is to have the motherboard replaced. No matter what troubleshooting you perform, those fixes are only temporary and your issue just continue to exist unless the motherboard is replaced. If your notebook still has warranty, i suggest you call HP support so that a repair service can be setup for your notebook. I hope this helps.

Thanks. quotation for HP repair/replacement is $385, medyo mahal.

@gzorros

if its a known problem afflicting different models. Sooner or later, a class action suit would come out and force HP to replace the defective motherboards w/o any charges. Considering that it is their own manufacturing fault that has caused the problem. Just keep a lookout for one.

Yun nga lang.. medyo sayang ang oras mo.

I'm planning to revive my mother's dead Toshiba Satellite A10 unit. I've found where I can buy some of the needed parts but there are still parts I need. Would any of you know where I can find them?

- Battery Pack - This is really for replacement. Its really dead.

- Keyboard - The A10 line was released like more than five years ago. this would surely not be available through toshiba. If I can't find this, I'll be forced to buy a mini keyboard wherever the laptop goes or try to do intensive repairs and restoration with the current keyboard.

These are the basic parts. I could choose not to upgrade its ram and install a wi-fi card later when I get more funds.

But recent;y, I've been thinking of buying a brand new low-end laptop.

I'm just finding out the cost if it balances between time and money. Kung low-end laptop kasi, I'll be saving up precious time trying rather than to repair the relic but If I push through with the FrankenToshiba Project, It'd be saving me real money.

Also comparing the two, I noticed the UMPCs have a price tag of around 20K to 25K while the low-end Neo models go for around 27K. If the cost for repairs on the relic would cost me half of that in parts plus my time repairing it, I'd have to go for at least a umpc.

So far, the HD would pitch for 2500 (120GB) to 3000 (160 GB). 1350 if I choose to use a surplus HDD from a surplus shop with 20GB HD space but that would be too small for me. Hehehe.

So, if the items listed above would add up to around 8K to 10K, I think I'll just save the Frankentoshiba Project for later.

:goatee: hope you could help me out...whenever i try burning dvds on my laptop an error always occurs in nero...it says power calibration error...i have no idea what it means...hope you could enlighten me...thanks... :goatee:

Dude, if the dialogue box is correct, then it is might hardware problem though I haven't encountered that problem yet.

Try to use another burning software like Power ISO. If it works, then Nero is not compatible with your system.

:goatee: hope you could help me out...whenever i try burning dvds on my laptop an error always occurs in nero...it says power calibration error...i have no idea what it means...hope you could enlighten me...thanks... :goatee:

it just simply means that the drive is going bad. try mo muna linisin yung lens.

kung di ubra, try to follow these steps:

1. on Desktop click Start

2. select Control Panel

3. click on Administrative Tools

4. click on Services

5. browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE

6. right click (on IMAPI) then select properties

7. in the middle of the window, it will say start up type. Click on the arrow to the right and select disabled.

8. make sure you click APPLY

I'm planning to revive my mother's dead Toshiba Satellite A10 unit. I've found where I can buy some of the needed parts but there are still parts I need. Would any of you know where I can find them?

- Battery Pack - This is really for replacement. Its really dead.

- Keyboard - The A10 line was released like more than five years ago. this would surely not be available through toshiba. If I can't find this, I'll be forced to buy a mini keyboard wherever the laptop goes or try to do intensive repairs and restoration with the current keyboard.

These are the basic parts. I could choose not to upgrade its ram and install a wi-fi card later when I get more funds.

But recent;y, I've been thinking of buying a brand new low-end laptop.

I'm just finding out the cost if it balances between time and money. Kung low-end laptop kasi, I'll be saving up precious time trying rather than to repair the relic but If I push through with the FrankenToshiba Project, It'd be saving me real money.

Also comparing the two, I noticed the UMPCs have a price tag of around 20K to 25K while the low-end Neo models go for around 27K. If the cost for repairs on the relic would cost me half of that in parts plus my time repairing it, I'd have to go for at least a umpc.

So far, the HD would pitch for 2500 (120GB) to 3000 (160 GB). 1350 if I choose to use a surplus HDD from a surplus shop with 20GB HD space but that would be too small for me. Hehehe.

So, if the items listed above would add up to around 8K to 10K, I think I'll just save the Frankentoshiba Project for later.

have the battery repacked. mukhang wala ka ng makikitang ganyang battery.

kuha ka na lang ng UMPC. I got one last week for 8.5k lang, brand new. imho, restoring your laptop is not worth the effort.

this could mean:

1). you have a very slow connection.

2). you're personal firewall is on (do you have one? Windows XP has its own built-in).

3). P2P is blocked and not allowed on your ISP or network.

try reinstalling the software and see if that works.

sir sorry ngyon ko lang ulet binasa...anyway please see my comments po:

1. imho po sir hinde naman po ganun kabagal un connection ko kase pag nag torrent po ako medyo mabilis nman po

2. ang os ko po is windows xp sp3 regarding po sa firewall hinde ko po alam gagawin ko dun.appreciate ko po kung matuturuan nyo ako.

3. sir un luma pong pc ko okei naman un limewire ko same dsl po.

sana sir matulungan nyo ko kahet papano...

maraming salamat mga sir

:goatee: sir i already tried the following remedies you posted...it still generated the same response...does this mean that my cd drive is already busted that i have to have it replaced already...if so, could anyone give me an idea on how much it would cost for me to replace the dvd drive on my laptop...thanks a bunch... :goatee:

it just simply means that the drive is going bad. try mo muna linisin yung lens.

kung di ubra, try to follow these steps:

1. on Desktop click Start

2. select Control Panel

3. click on Administrative Tools

4. click on Services

5. browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE

6. right click (on IMAPI) then select properties

7. in the middle of the window, it will say start up type. Click on the arrow to the right and select disabled.

8. make sure you click APPLY

:goatee: sir i already tried the following remedies you posted...it still generated the same response...does this mean that my cd drive is already busted that i have to have it replaced already...if so, could anyone give me an idea on how much it would cost for me to replace the dvd drive on my laptop...thanks a bunch... :goatee:

if it does not work, then its all go for your current optical drive.

i think the costs for a dvd drive is around 3.5k-5k depending on the brand.

but then, you can always go for the CDRKing option.