Computer Troubleshooting And Repair

hi all, I have HP Vectra haven't checked bios while i'm doing this so bear with me.

My OS is windows 2000 5.00.2195 Service Pack 3

I tried installing quicktime thru DSL and had problems. Tried uninstalling and didn't work so i deleted the files/folders for it. This damage my DVD-ROM and now my system takes forever to boot if it did it's very slow..... In the process of uninstalling the DVD-ROM, my network adapter (intel pro/100+ management adapter) also got damaged.

Here's the error from when I tried device manager to fix the adapter.

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31) Click Troubleshooter...."

If I did click on troubleshooter, it will say it failed cause of another device which i do not know.

Right now, i removed my DVD-ROM so that my system will boot up and run normally.

How can I fix both problems? will a software patch fix this? where can i download for free?

Quicktime, DVDROM drivers, and NIC drivers are not related to each other. Uninstalling quicktime will never touch any of these devices, so when you deleted the files/folders, you must have mocked up or deleted the other system files as well. So what caused the DVD and NIC problem is not the automated uninstall, but by your manual deletion.

Please note that unlike Mac OS, Windows does not do install/uninstall by merely copying or deleting files.

DVDROM drives usually come with CDs where the drivers are. These days, nobody really needs them anymore because usually, the PC detects the hardware and the newly installed OS already installs the necessary drivers anyway. When you go to the Devices List on System Properties, items that have those question mark icons are usually the ones that provide conflicts on other devices that would usually already work. Fix and install all the devices that have question marks in their icons first, then try to do the windows troubleshoot again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question guys... I'm having problems with my browser and I couldn't view any website at all... the thing is... I just noticed it this saturday when I tried to check my salary online... then I tried every possible website I could think of and all I got was the 'NO SERVER FOUND' page... I already tried using both FF & IE to no avail... the funny thing is... all my online games work and also my P2P softwared like Limewire & Bitcomet without any glitch... I also tried pinging the URLs and it times out... so I tried hooking up my old rig and my browsers worked fine...

Can you guys suggest a fix on this? thanks :thumbsupsmiley:

looks like your browsers have been hi-jacked by a virus or malware. try updating and running your anti-virus & anti-malware on your machine.

Thanks for your suggestion but I already did this as well. I pulled-out my HDD and had it scanned in another machine using 3 different anti-virus software and it came out clean. Any other suggestion? I don't want to format my HDD coz its a hassle having to install all my apps & configurin everything again. But if everything else fails... I guess I don't have any other option <_<

Edited by Phrozhen.Khold

question: how do you reformat the hard drive and make a very clean install? i'm running windows xp service pack 2. i tried to reformat and make a clean install pero mukhang pumalpak at nag back up yung old files, thus eating up memory space. ang gusto ko, yung parang brand new ang kakalabasan pagkatapos mag reinstall at mag re format.

salamat po.

question: how do you reformat the hard drive and make a very clean install? i'm running windows xp service pack 2. i tried to reformat and make a clean install pero mukhang pumalpak at nag back up yung old files, thus eating up memory space. ang gusto ko, yung parang brand new ang kakalabasan pagkatapos mag reinstall at mag re format.

salamat po.

Boot using the WinXP cd, delete all the partitions and just create a new one. (warning: when you delete your partition every single file will be erased)

:mtc: :mtc: :mtc:

Thanks for your suggestion but I already did this as well. I pulled-out my HDD and had it scanned in another machine using 3 different anti-virus software and it came out clean. Any other suggestion? I don't want to format my HDD coz its a hassle having to install all my apps & configurin everything again. But if everything else fails... I guess I don't have any other option <_<

If you're using IE, your browser may have been compromised by any number of spyware, malware, trojan, crapware, etc. that can be found in this planet. I suggest using an alternate browser (*hint* Firefox). Also, is that the only website affected or you really can't surf any website on that browser? It is also possible that the website you're trying to browse is down. :headsetsmiley:

If you're using IE, your browser may have been compromised by any number of spyware, malware, trojan, crapware, etc. that can be found in this planet. I suggest using an alternate browser (*hint* Firefox). Also, is that the only website affected or you really can't surf any website on that browser? It is also possible that the website you're trying to browse is down. :headsetsmiley:

I don't think this is a browser issue since pinging the URL or address returns timeouts. This looks more like a connectivity issue or a firewall issue. Are you sure your P2P and other online stuff can actually connect? Can you actually download a file?

Ping the ISP gateway first, that will ensure if you're connected to your ISP properly. Once you've confirmed this, try pinging other public domains like google.com or yahoo.com. If you can't ping the IP addresses, then don't bother with the browser because surely it wont work. Something is wrong with the connection, or some program is preventing you from accessing outside IPs (either a firewall or something else).

anyone know how to fix the problem on my laptop?

the problem is that windows cannot recognized the USB, i tried searching and googling it for one week now and i cant find any solution yet till now

hope anyone here can help me on this thanks to all!!!

try reinstalling your chipset drivers ;)

mga tsong, patulong naman...

pano ba ma reinstall yung norton antivirus after mag lapse yung subscription period? sinubukan na iuninstall and tangalin sa registry (kaso ang dami at paisa-isa pa) pero na detect pa rin na expired subscription nung tinry ireinstall....

Norton 2006 kc yun (raon ver nga lang) and its working ok after iupdate using auto update yung virus def... pero nadetect na GSM after mag manual update...

may way ba para di madetect na previously installed na yung software at magamit ulit?

thanks in advance mga repapips!

ive been to tat link and also tried that before :), thanks @_pabling that helps alot :) San ka ngaun work?

yep, night shift for life. worst case scenario dun sa issue mo baka kelangan mo magpalit mobo. -_-

mga tsong, patulong naman...

pano ba ma reinstall yung norton antivirus after mag lapse yung subscription period? sinubukan na iuninstall and tangalin sa registry (kaso ang dami at paisa-isa pa) pero na detect pa rin na expired subscription nung tinry ireinstall....

Norton 2006 kc yun (raon ver nga lang) and its working ok after iupdate using auto update yung virus def... pero nadetect na GSM after mag manual update...

may way ba para di madetect na previously installed na yung software at magamit ulit?

thanks in advance mga repapips!

install ka nlng ng AVG sir, free pa. click link.

Wat's up, guys!

I got a new problem:

My PC keeps on restarting every 5 mins(approx). This started just yesterday afternoon. Pero before that, nagkakaroon na ng mga slight slowdown yung pc ko. What's going on? Prior to yesterdays dillema, I was just downloading something from Azureus for about 8 hrs, turned it off after the download, turned it back on after 5 hours and then dun na nag-start yung problem.