San Miguel Beer

SAN MIGUEL PULLS OFF ANOTHER MIRACLE WIN FOR FINAL 4 SEAT

Calaguio, Gonzales star in Beermen’s amazing comeback

Sunday, 17 June 2007

San Miguel Beer pulled off another escape act in a knockout game, completing the brew in the 2007 Talk N Text PBA Fiesta Conference Final Four.

The Beermen joined the Red Bull Barakos, the Alaska Aces and the Talk N Text Phone Pals in the semis mix as they survived a fourth straight do-or-die match on a scintillating 117-114 overtime win over the Barangay Ginebra Kings Sunday night at the Araneta Coliseum.

San Miguel fought back from a 16-point deficit midway through the last quarter and outlasted Ginebra in overtime to advance to the semis against old rival Alaska.

Game One of the best-of-seven semis series is Wednesday in the same venue.

"It’s gonna be exciting. I know coach Tim (Cone) and I know Rosell (Ellis) with whom I’ve had a lot of battles in the US. It’s gonna be a battle," said San Miguel import Galen Young, who’s up against his former team Alaska in the semis.

Young, along with Chris Calaguio and Wesley Gonzales, played a stellar role as the Beermen avenged their loss to the Kings in the recent All-Filipino Finals.

"We fought every step of the way," said Young, finishing the game and completing a swashbuckling performance although picking up his fifth foul with still 46.8 seconds left in the third period.

Gonzales starred in San Miguel’s searing fourth-quarter chase while Calaguio stood tall in the overtime play. Gonzales made 10 of his 20 points in the fourth period while Calaguio scored nine of his 19 in the extension period.

Then there were Dorian Pena and LA Tenorio helping along the way as the Beermen overcame an 83-99 deficit with 6:26 left in the final period.

"It was so special winning that way," said coach Siot Tanquingcen as his Beermen pulled off another Houdini act, practically the same way they survived the Coca-Cola Tigers in the wildcard round.

"It was a heck of a game. There was a moment when we lost our focus and we messed up playing Ginebra’s game. But we regrouped and refocused on what brought us here….. playing no-nonsense defense," Tanquingcen also said.

The Beermen held the Kings in check towards the end of overtime, breaking free from a 111-all standoff to eventually win the contest.

In regulation period, the Beermen pulled even at 104-all on an amazing 21-5 run, and the two teams went scoreless in the final 1:18 of play.

Calaguio fired a trey to shatter the 111-all deadlock, then after Rod Nealy missed his own three-point attempt, LA Tenorio buried two free throws to all but settle the outcome of the game.

The Kings blew away a chance for a double-championship in the season, and with it went Nealy’s chance for the Best Import award.

Mark Macapagal rifled in a triple at the buzzer and the Kings carried a 56-51 lead over to the second half.

Macapagal and Sunday Salvacion both went 2-of-4 from beyond the arc, giving Nealy valuable support as they enjoyed the lead at the turn despite a tentative start.

The Kings trailed by eight, 24-32, at the end of the first quarter and only had their first taste of the lead at 46-45 on a drive-in basket by Ronald Tubid. (NC)

The scores:

San Miguel 117 – Gonzales 20, Calaguio 19, Tenorio 17, Young 17, Ildefronso 14, Villanueva 9, Adriano 9, Pena 9, Racela 3, Wilson 0.

Ginebra 114 – Nealy 37, Macapagal 19, Salvacion 17, Tubid 14, Menk 11, Santos 7, Abarrientos 5, Mamaril 4, Seigle 0.

Quarterscores: 32-24, 51-56, 74-83, 104-104 (reg.), 117-114 (OT)

I have watched almost the entire game last night of SMB and BGK and as much as I want to deny myself of SMB theres this part of me that gets frustrated whenever they fall behind, theres this part of me that wants to jump for joy whenever they come back (especially like what happened last night).

With the victory I was sad and happy at the same time, why? I was sad because I was wrong that Enricups would jinx SMB and I was hoping that he would make the management regret getting him, I was happy because SMB won without Enricups on the floor, he barely played and once inside all he can do was one swooping shot that almost missed the ring (this is the epitome of hype if you ask me) which proves my theory that SMB don't need him.

It's easy to say that I'm no longer an SMB fan but I'm learning that its easier said than done. I have seen SMB games since my dad was watching Royal Tru Orange back in the glory days of the PBA, Yoyong Martirez was still a force (or speed) to be rockoned with that time.

The question now is where do I stand? I guess I'm an SMB fan for life (because I don't really believe in transferring loyalty), but I can't be as passionate with the team as long as a certain guy is playing for them and a lover coach still handling them. I would take Siot over Chot anytime, anyplace, anywhere!

With all of that said I just want to Congratulate the entire SMB squad except for Rico and Chot! Wesley & Chris deserves all the time they are getting. Way to go guys and keep up the good work! To all the SMB fans congratulations!

MGA TSONG!

TANDAAN NIYO ITONG POST NA ITO HA!

LILIPAT SI FONACIER SA SAN MIGUEL!

AKO NA NAGSASABI SA INYO!

GANYAN KALAKAS SI CHOT REYES! :thumbsupsmiley:

haha I believe you my friend! that has been in the works for the longest time

dapat nga kasama si Larry nunng lilipat si Rico...

interesting....enrico villanueva against his former team!

hehehe only thing I regret is that Rico won't be booed as much!

last time around practically the whole big dome was booing him!

kaya siguro nagpa-trade sa SMB... took the coward's way out!!! bwahahaha!!!

Shows what kind of person he is! :thumbsdownsmiley:

true! and he says he blue blooded... when he's yellow!

i just hope he can help san miguel win a crown this conference.

no thanks! marami naman locals ang SMB to help them...

his help isn't necessary!

im a fan of smb since 1991... hehe. thats the time of samboy lim. Sana magchampion sila this conference. I think ok naman na si Danny I and Enrico so wala na dapat problema. Tulungan na lang sila para magchampion SMBeer!

Ako since 1988... when mon fernandez was shipped to SMB and Guidaben was sent to Purefoods :D

Elementary pa ako nun hehehehe.... 12 years old :P