San Miguel Beer

hahahaha galing talaga ni chot mag-coach, strategic substitutions :lol:

kaya nanalo ang sunkist noong araw, eh.

Oo nga, it kinda reminded me nga of how the legendary Coach Baby Dalupan controls a ballgame with his timely substitutions. Nice job by coach Chot, All the players played well too. Great heads up play by Tenorio, he played like he wasn't a rookie. Hanep din tres ni Olcen whooooooow

Oo nga, it kinda reminded me nga of how the legendary Coach Baby Dalupan controls a ballgame with his timely substitutions. Nice job by coach Chot, All the players played well too. Great heads up play by Tenorio, he played like he wasn't a rookie. Hanep din tres ni Olcen whooooooow

man, if coach baby dalupan was that good, no wonder crispa won a lot championships.

as for BGK, sabi ko nga sa isang forum after ng game 1 win, 4-0 na bwahahaha

man, if coach baby dalupan was that good, no wonder crispa won a lot championships.

as for BGK, sabi ko nga sa isang forum after ng game 1 win, 4-0 na bwahahaha

Oh man Dalupan was the best when it comes to situational substitution. Pero totoo yung sabi mo ang lupit nung strategy ni Chot to foul Reavis, even me nagulat what's it all about. Now we all know, Coach Chot played us all!

Oh man Dalupan was the best when it comes to situational substitution. Pero totoo yung sabi mo ang lupit nung strategy ni Chot to foul Reavis, even me nagulat what's it all about. Now we all know, Coach Chot played us all!

great strategy by chot to foul reavis. it was like thinking three steps ahead of jong. jong knew that chot would let reavis accept the inbounds pass. if you saw the game on tv, and heard what ginebra's huddle during that particular timeout, jong and siot ran plays on who should take the shot, who reavis should pass the ball to, the backdoor play, etc. but he didn't count on the hack-a-reavis strategy. i myself didn't expect that. i thought smb was going to play honest defense. well i guess, that's why i'm here and not coaching, huh? :D kudos to coach chot for that ploy to foul reavis, and it paid off.

heads up again to LA. he did one hell of a job again (except for the crucial turnover late in the 4th, which led to him being substituted by olsen). helterbrand was again limited by his defense, he made jayjay give up the ball, thus taking away his pick and roll and drop pass.

special mention to dondon, danny s, lordy and olsen for the brilliant offense they provided. and to willie wilson's hustle play. it won the game for us.

see ya'll in game 3. i just have a feeling ibebenta ang game 3 para manalo ginebra... i hope i'm wrong. because it was obvious in games 1 and 2 that referees were calling it very tight against smb, probably so that ginebra wouldn't get massacred. :grr: i'm pretty sure majority of the beermen would be in foul trouble come game 3. damn refs! :thumbsdownsmiley:

great strategy by chot to foul reavis. it was like thinking three steps ahead of jong. jong knew that chot would let reavis accept the inbounds pass. if you saw the game on tv, and heard what ginebra's huddle during that particular timeout, jong and siot ran plays on who should take the shot, who reavis should pass the ball to, the backdoor play, etc. but he didn't count on the hack-a-reavis strategy. i myself didn't expect that. i thought smb was going to play honest defense. well i guess, that's why i'm here and not coaching, huh? :D kudos to coach chot for that ploy to foul reavis, and it paid off.

heads up again to LA. he did one hell of a job again (except for the crucial turnover late in the 4th, which led to him being substituted by olsen). helterbrand was again limited by his defense, he made jayjay give up the ball, thus taking away his pick and roll and drop pass.

special mention to dondon, danny s, lordy and olsen for the brilliant offense they provided. and to willie wilson's hustle play. it won the game for us.

see ya'll in game 3. i just have a feeling ibebenta ang game 3 para manalo ginebra... i hope i'm wrong. because it was obvious in games 1 and 2 that referees were calling it very tight against smb, probably so that ginebra wouldn't get massacred. :grr: i'm pretty sure majority of the beermen would be in foul trouble come game 3. damn refs! :thumbsdownsmiley:

They say things happens for a reason, Tenorio committed a very crucial error which forced Coach Chot to replace him with Olcen who eventually hit that killer 3. I was actually disappointed with LA on that play but I won't forget the great game he is playing. It's like seeing him in a Ateneo-La Salle match where he is the main man. Grabe ang dibdib nya. I want him wearing that SMB uniform.

Tama ka din kay Willie Wilson, he doesn't mind being a role player, everytime the coach puts him in he just do his thing and give quality minutes, just like last night.

Lordy o Lordy, bakit ngayon ka lang dumating. This guy is giving us the added boost that I think Ginebra didn't expect. Everytime he hits those shots the Ginebra team seems to be lost in defense. They didn't really expect him to be a factor in the series, they might have based his game in the RB series which is totally the opposite. Man do you see those one on one plays he is doing, back to the basket or fronting, he does it all not to mention those dagger 3s.

Peña is a big factor down low, he is the person that Ginebra can't match up with. Hirap na hirap sila in boxing out Peña away from the 3 second area. He gives them stability down there and added points when needed. The hustle is really the one that caught my attention. Diving for the ball or going over the railings, he doesn't mind as long as he gets the ball back for SMB. This guy really deserves all the cheer that hes been getting.

Danny S. what can I say. The Beermen's offensive demon. No ifs and buts they just can't stop him. Reavis, Tubid, Kuya Andy they have tried all their defensive people but he just blows past them. MVP in my book!!! I have read a post here saying let's see ang galing ni Danny sa kakulitan ni Tubid. Well it has been answered, si Tubid ang naiinis because he can't stop Danny S.

To the rest of the Beermen, keep up the good work and I hope to see you guys raising that championship trophy after a couple more games. To the SMB fans let's continue on supporting our team, they deserve it!

Edited by peep_tom

SAN MIGUEL GAMBLE PAYS OFF, BEERMEN UP 2-0

“That’s the way the game is played – to put the ball in the hole” – Reyes

Monday, 12 February 2007

For San Miguel Beer, it helped that coach Chot Reyes knows so well that Rafi Reavis is a poor free throw shooter.

San Miguel Beer gambled on sending Reavis to the line at endgame and reaped good dividends, making it two in a row over Barangay Ginebra, 104-101, in their 2006-07 Talk N Text PBA Philippine Cup best-of-seven title playoff Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum.

Reavis actually muffed not only two free throws but a three-pointer with the game on the line in the closing seconds, allowing the Beermen to successfully follow up their 118-94 victory in Game One Friday.

"It was a product of intense discussion and, in the end, our decision was to let Rafi shoot from the stripe," said Reyes. "We didn’t want to give a three-pointer. We figured out that if he makes both shots, we still have a chance."

The Beermen put Reavis in the pressure-cooker after Danny Seigle scored on a backdoor play with Olsen Racela, pushing San Miguel ahead, 101-99, time down to 24 seconds.

A 53-percent free throw shooter, Reavis did succumb to the pressure, then San Miguel gained more breathing room on a charity by Seigle in the ensuing play.

A layup by Rudy Hatfield followed by a split from the stripe by Willie Wilson gave Ginebra a chance to send the game into overtime with 12.2 seconds left.

Alas, the ball again went to Reavis, who was all alone in the right flank. The 6-foot-8 Fil-Am forward opted to take a trey which went a bit strong, enabling the Beermen to gain a two-game-to-zero lead in the series.

"Two-zero is nothing. If we get another win, then we have a better chance," said Reyes, who experienced bungling such a lead while still with the Coca-Cola Tigers playing the Talk N Text Phone Pals for the 2003 All-Filipino crown.

"We still have a job cut out for us. With Eric Menk likely to get stronger and Danny Ildefonso still on a day-to-day status, it’s incumbent upon our big men to hold the fort for us," Reyes added.

San Miguel dominated the first three quarters with Seigle, Dondon Hontiveros and Lordy Tugade at the forefront of their attack. Seigle scattered 31 points, Hontiveros added 22 and Tugade chipped in 19.

Racela contributed 11, including a three-pointer he made after Ginebra closed in at 95-96 with time down to 1:35.

But the contest boiled down to a free-throw shooting in the end.

"In a battle between two evenly matched teams, it came down to free throws. And that’s the way the game is played – to put the ball in the hole," said Reyes.

"We can do everything but in the end, the team which puts the ball in the cylinder will win," Reyes added. (NC)

The scores:

San Miguel 104 – Seigle 31, Hontiveros 22, Tugade 19, Racela 11, Tenorio 9, Adducul 5, Calaguio 3, Wilson 2, Pena 2, Espinas 0, Gonzales 0.

Ginebra 101 – Caguioa 32, Hatfield 20, Helterbrand 12, Reavis 10, Salvacion 7, Mamaril 6, Tubid 4, Menk 4, Abarrientos 4, Macapagal 2.

Quarterscores: 27-30, 56-52, 83-69, 104-101.

Another great win by SMB...somehow, a great escape but, a strategic escape. Great strategy employed by coach Chot...either he was right or he was wrong...but he coached Reavis before, and he must know better.

Olsen read the play well when Hatfield was overplaying Seigle. It turned out to be bad defensive play by Hatfield and BGK. It would have been better to let Danny S receive the ball from the 3pt line and double-team him quickly and let some other guy take the shot.

I am impressed at how LA Tenorio and Willie Wilson play in this series. Tenorio is getting his well-deserved baptism of fire. Wilson is delivering quality minutes. Even if LA committed a costly turnover, he still played a great game...he was running the ball very well and even scoring layups with Hatfield and Mamaril in front of him. I'm sure he will learn from that mistake.

However, it is still worries me that BGK was able to make that comeback. It may seem that it's bound to happen, but BGK, in their bazing 4th Qtr, was able to solve the defense of the Beermen and they, too, played very tight defense. Somehow, it scares me that Game 3 may be a breakout game for BGK. I hope SMB will keep their intensity up.