Your First Million - Inspirational Stories

First off, Happy New Year to everybody.

I guess I'm writing this because I just want to reease some steam, since its the new year, its a new year to make opportunities and to realize your dreams. This year, I promise myself to work like I've never worked before. To spend more hours in front of the pc working harder than anybody else. Its just because that these year, I'm gonna spend like crazy. A wedding and a baby is on the horizon so I gotta do my best to prepare and provide for that. This is also the year that I gotta start my office. Yup, its been too long but this has got to be the year that I establish the office, time to really kick start that career. Yun lang naman, Hopefully in the next coming years, with the insatiable drive, the right connections and the frugality of an old miser I could reach that 1 million that I have been hopng for since the day that I graduated.

Thanks for just hearing me out, mga kapatid.

post-25839-1231047753.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

after 16 years of working my retirement pay came up to 1M (well almost) add that to savings and yes, the bank account did say 1+ million pesos. I've since sunk that into real estate (my own condo that I may or may not sell , depends) and mainly getting 2 macs!

one thing i didn't use it for: TO PAY OFF OLD DEBTS. Im still paying for these old debts but I'm happy with where the money went.

BUT...

like they say if your mind isn't ready for the millions =it will disappear quickly.

so for those who are striving to get that first million, prepare your minds so you dont spend it unwisely once you have it.

jomarhilario.com

Entrepreneurship is an almost sure way to make 1 million for someone who is hardworking, creative, daring, has good business sense, and ideally knows the right people. Unfortunately not everyone has these traits. And for those experts who say earning money is so easy (you know, those motivational gurus who say something like, don't adjust your lifestyle to your income - instead figure out a way to increase your income so that you're living the lifestyle you want) ... its like saying its our own fault that we're not making money. Fricking platitude. :P

The stock market is a crapshoot. For everyone who made a million here, there are lots more who lost money. Especially in the local stock market where market capitalization is so low that well connected and well funded parties can manipulate certain stocks to a certain degree.

I made my first million in savings the "traditional" way working with large corporations. And yes, I started in 1997 with a starting salary of P8,500 per month ... small even by the standards of the day. I spent approximately P100,000 that year on living expenses which meant my savings from that salary were ZERO and I probably had some debts on my credit card ... hehehe.

But the thing is, even though my salary kept on increasing as I moved up the corporate ladder ... my living expenses increased at a much slower rate. If I used to be happy eating a P250 buffet once a month to reward myself, I didn't suddenly develop the urge to have that buffet on a daily basis. I didn't have the sudden need to buy designer clothes since I had gotten used to wearing my good quality generic stuff. I got drunk on Tanduay Rum and San Miguel Beer - I didn't have to drink Black Label every night simply because I could. The car I used in college (given by my parents granted) I continued to use well after I could afford to buy a new one. And so on.

After around 6 years of steady career advancement (I had changed jobs twice in that span of time) I had that first P1M clear in various financial instruments even though my Net Income after tax was still less a little less than P1M. All savings - I didn't do web PTC's, I didn't do stocks, I didn't buy a franchise, I didn't do multi-level marketing. I'm sure I could've earned more if I had worked harder outside the office, but hey, I'm a lazy bum and wanted to enjoy my non-office time. I just posted this to show that you can still earn that million the old fashioned way working a 9 to 6 job. And though I still lived at my parents' house at that time, I had been contributing around P20K a month to household expenses so I think it evened out when compared with someone who had to live independently.

Conspicuous consumption is BAD. Just because you're earning a certain amount doesn't mean you need to spend it all. As everyone else is saying, get into the habit of saving. Even with interest rates low, its better than blowing it on luxuries and good times. That brand new Fortuner, Rolex watch, or iPhone 3G that you just bought depreciated by 20% just by bringing it out of the showroom. And your nights out in Pegasus ... sure the memories may be priceless, but that doesn't fill your bank account. Sadly.

salamat sa story mna to nakaron ako idea pano ko pa palalaguin at makuha ang 1m ngayong taon na 2.... :lol: :thumbsupsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

Made my first million 1.2m to be exact was when i was 1st year college 18yrs old to be exact sad to say it wasnt hard earned money.. got involve in selling illegal stuffs.. "drugs,guns and stuffs which came from hacked credit cards" it didnt last though .. being young and careless i spent it all i mean "we" spent it all on souping up an eclipse pimpin our dorm partying every night.. we were 5 college freshie out on a joy ride.. we made hundreds of thousands a month.. now that im 6yrs older and smarter im regreting why did i used up all that cash.. but now im trying to open up a small carwash biznez and a internet cafe hoping to save up fo the future of my wife and my up coming baby.. as they say EASY come EASY go.. its much gratifying to spend hard earned money..

Edited by dbzar2

made my first million when i availed of the early retirement program of a multinational company at the age of 32. then transferred to another multinational company where my gross pay averages at 1.0M.

an 8-5 job can earn you your million but if you're not careful you can just spend it all in other things. my "retirement" pay disappeared after 3 years, spending it on pre-need insurance for the kids and paying off my loan on a condo.

best part is that i still work and live here in the Philippines with my family and friends. it is very possible to earn your million as an employee but then again it is not for everyone.

i am 42 right now and i have moved again to another multinational company and am earning 2M annually, plus perks and benefits, it would be more than the 2M salary. worst part is the 32% tax that i have to pay as an employee.

• 1 month later...
There is no other way to make your first million but through hard work and perseverance. My dictum was that if Plan A did not work then stick with Plan A :thumbsupsmiley: If you had a Plan B then you were actually thinking of Plan A possibly not working. But the fact of the matter is, sometimes you can do everything right and still end up losing money than making it. It just like basketball when the refs just won't give you a call. So instead of complaining to the refs, you just stay aggressive, penetrate the lane like manu ginobili and fish for the foul to get to the free throw line :thumbsupsmiley: I really can't get into specifics into what I did lest I reveal my indentity in this forum but I feel that generalities should suffice. i would delve into the DONTS rather than the DOS.

1. Don't think that by sleeping with your boss would make it easier for your promotion.

While it is true that there are a lot of corporate women who are cougars, they are really not into it in the long term and so they are just interested in a quick fix Bam! Boom! and then you feel used :thumbsdownsmiley: Unless you think that your boss is in it for the long term with you, then you have some degree of tenure and of course good endorsements for possible promotion.

2. Don't change your lifestyle.

If you start making money and money changes you then that is just pathetic. Don't let money change you, but you should change your money. Make your money into opportunity Ergo - investments!

3. Don''t be complacent. It is always easy to lose the drive when you make your first million. It would appear that you have reached your peak (of course thats in your subconscious. So if you lose your guard, some upstart newly grad might just start screwing the cougars, doing more what is expected of them and staying 20 hours in the office. Suddenly, while you thought your on top of your game, a rookie steals your thunder.

So good luck you studs. :thumbsupsmiley:

Nice post Sir! :thumbsupsmiley:

1st Mil is almost within grasp :) Working two jobs (an office job and a sales job) and trying to start a biz (selling products online - got some stocks already just waiting for the site). I'm turning 23 next week, hoping to get 2M before I reach 24.

Keep posting guys! Very Inspiring ang mga kwento niyo. ;)

Edited by bastard69
  • 3 months later...

First million at age 22. Right after college. Started a design studio. Had only 1 client (same company I worked for as an OJT during my senior year). Began with writing speeches for the company president and was paid P1K per page. Then I made AVP (audio-visual presentation) scripts. Then I made the actual AVP's (each one sold at P500K but cost me P300K to produce). Then managed client's events (sales and marketing summit).

• 3 weeks later...

got my 1M last year lang, age 25... I started less than 2 yrs ago lang nung binenta ko ung car ko, sayang kasi binili ko dati pero di ko masyado ginagamit since ala ako license hehehe ayaw ng parents ko eh. naging pandisplay lang kaya binenta ko rin eventually. after nun, I had 600k sa bank account ko, tapos inalok ako friend ko na mag-junk shop business, ayun ok lang sa akin, after a few months ganda ng kita lumaki ung pera ko and now nakabili na ako ng isang unit ng bus, pinasama ko sa tita ng friend ko gandang business din daw un kumikita mim of 3-4k per day.. tyaga tyaga lang talaga, sugal talaga pumasok sa business, may mga times talaga malulugi ka pero part un eh, need to accept it lang. hirap magpayaman kung magtitiis ka lang sa pagiging empleyado lang, kelangan rumaket, hirap ng buhay eh hehehe. i bought a house and lot na worth 2M, katabi nung house na binili ng parents ko somewhere in bulacan, e duplex un, nakipag-negotiate ako sa kapitbahay kasi umalis nag-abroad na, kaya ko na nagyad sa kanya, installment naman kahit papano, un nga lang 2yrs to pay. sipag at tyaga lang talaga hehe, hanggang ngaun sa totoo lang di ko alam pano ako nakapag-invest ng ganun na pero masaya ako nakarating ako dito hehehe.. kahit may mga times kelangan i-cut ung personal na budget at luho for the sake of earning more di ba.. am sure it'll pay off naman, and it did for me... :thumbsupsmiley:

• 8 months later...

Entrepreneurship is an almost sure way to make 1 million for someone who is hardworking, creative, daring, has good business sense, and ideally knows the right people. Unfortunately not everyone has these traits. And for those experts who say earning money is so easy (you know, those motivational gurus who say something like, don't adjust your lifestyle to your income - instead figure out a way to increase your income so that you're living the lifestyle you want) ... its like saying its our own fault that we're not making money. Fricking platitude. :P

The stock market is a crapshoot. For everyone who made a million here, there are lots more who lost money. Especially in the local stock market where market capitalization is so low that well connected and well funded parties can manipulate certain stocks to a certain degree.

I made my first million in savings the "traditional" way working with large corporations. And yes, I started in 1997 with a starting salary of P8,500 per month ... small even by the standards of the day. I spent approximately P100,000 that year on living expenses which meant my savings from that salary were ZERO and I probably had some debts on my credit card ... hehehe.

But the thing is, even though my salary kept on increasing as I moved up the corporate ladder ... my living expenses increased at a much slower rate. If I used to be happy eating a P250 buffet once a month to reward myself, I didn't suddenly develop the urge to have that buffet on a daily basis. I didn't have the sudden need to buy designer clothes since I had gotten used to wearing my good quality generic stuff. I got drunk on Tanduay Rum and San Miguel Beer - I didn't have to drink Black Label every night simply because I could. The car I used in college (given by my parents granted) I continued to use well after I could afford to buy a new one. And so on.

After around 6 years of steady career advancement (I had changed jobs twice in that span of time) I had that first P1M clear in various financial instruments even though my Net Income after tax was still less a little less than P1M. All savings - I didn't do web PTC's, I didn't do stocks, I didn't buy a franchise, I didn't do multi-level marketing. I'm sure I could've earned more if I had worked harder outside the office, but hey, I'm a lazy bum and wanted to enjoy my non-office time. I just posted this to show that you can still earn that million the old fashioned way working a 9 to 6 job. And though I still lived at my parents' house at that time, I had been contributing around P20K a month to household expenses so I think it evened out when compared with someone who had to live independently.

Conspicuous consumption is BAD. Just because you're earning a certain amount doesn't mean you need to spend it all. As everyone else is saying, get into the habit of saving. Even with interest rates low, its better than blowing it on luxuries and good times. That brand new Fortuner, Rolex watch, or iPhone 3G that you just bought depreciated by 20% just by bringing it out of the showroom. And your nights out in Pegasus ... sure the memories may be priceless, but that doesn't fill your bank account. Sadly.

Pare, i like how you lived at simplicity. we must postpone self-gratification. As for me, Im trying to save at least 30% of my income as savings! Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we were dirt poor not too long ago. we could not afford even the pamasahe to school,we eat scantily clad fish and vegetables, we could not even watch TV, walang TV, walang bahay,kami lahat 6 of us in one room that doubled as our dining, living, bedroom kitchen and dining room maliit lang talaga. THE ENORMOUS DRIVE TO SUCCEED WAS WITHIN US. LOLO was an attorney, but because of his religious beliefs he'd rather be poor than lie. grandma was a teacher, barely making it. My dad pushed hard to graduate college on his own, no financial help from his parents who could not even afford to put shoes on their feet. My mom did not work...But by gosh the older folks instilled in us the value of GOOD EDUCATION , not just education. everybody can graduate yet not be successful. If you graduate,' lolo once said., damn be the cream of the crop'....so the rest is history. Over the years alone I personally have given over 2M pesos in financial help to my parents not because they need money, but I want them to enjoy life. an auntie who is a super millionaire in the US dollar currency, though have helped me sustain the growth of my finances. we have 3 good houses in manila and a condo, and several in 2 continents. what a difference when you use your brain to do things like these. We got some small business, careers and cars, cars, cars. vacations here and there anywhere in the world anytime when planned. the younger generation now in better schools, HTC phones, iphones ipods, they are spoiled, so what, we don't want them to suffer like we did. NOW I AM SOLVED FOR LIFE so are my kids whoever they may be,,,suwerte sila di na sila maghihirap MY SMALL ADVICE IS THIS...DREAM BIG, BUT SUPPORT THAT WITH SOMETHING, LIKE YOUR BRAIN, BE STREET SMART TO COMPETE WITH EVERYBODY ELSE, MARKET YOURSELF AS LARGER THAN LIFE, THEY'LL BRING YOU DOWN ANYWAY, AND FINALLY....BREAKS, BREAKS, AND LUCKY BREAKS........WHEN YOU SEE THEM GRAB THEM CAUSE THEY MIGHT NOT COME BACK AGAIN. ONE FAMILY MEMBER DONATED 1.54m PESOS TO CHARITY.....ME PERSONALLY I LOST GAMBLING ABOUT 2.2m PESOS last year alone...HEHEHE, remember dati WALANG WALA.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Knoll1234

So how did good education eventually help you to earn your 1st million which is the topic of this thread??? I mean education alone won't ensure you will be a millionaire without what you've learned in a money making activity. How did your aunt help you sustain your finances as you claimed?

• Downvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

pinaka mahirap lang makua yung first million, pero after that medyo addicting to earn more.. and more.. baste be prepared for every opportunity na pwede mong pagkakitaan meron at meron yan.. mahirap lang sa simula pero once yuo have learned yun basic mechanics of learning, planning(x100- para segurista)and preparing mukukuha mo rin yung style and dont be afraid of failing.. kung ma lugi ka man, learn from it and you still end up winning.. sa start sobrang takot ko invest yung hard earned money ko so inipon ko lang ng inipon.. hangang dumami at nagkalakas ng loob mag negosyo ng konti together with 2 jobs.. you could also try going to another country or middle east maraming opportunity hanapin mo lang talaga...

• 10 months later...