Honor Student Ka Ba

Never been at the absolute top, just chilled at around number 4 to 7 consistently when I was in Elementary and High School. With a graduating class of just 1,400.

Messed up college real bad, got delayed a good long while then topped the boards when I finally got serious. Thank you alcohol.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nope, average student who enjoyed the party life too much

but...

In the real world, when we all started working:

1. I realized I was earning just as much and sometimes even more than my batchmates who graduated with honors

2. I was getting promoted to prime positions at the same pace (sometimes quicker) than my batchmates who graduated with honors

3. I received two study grants to prestigious universities abroad, all or most of my Filipino co-grantees were former honor students

4. I am living a full, happy, and rewarding life :D

Moral lesson is: it doesn't matter if you are a so-so student, what's more important is our approach to work, how we apply what we have learned (some people are book-smart, but don't know how things work in the real world), how we treat ourselves and other people, and, not to let honors and individual awards define who we are as people.

It's also important to know how to have fun :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use to get average grades when I was in elementary in Ateneo, then I moved to the states and It was in that time that I started to have a love affair with books. My grades drastically improved in high school and I became an honor student. In college I moved back to the Philippines and studied nursing in UST. I was told UST and UP were the premier schools for medical courses. I was actually above average in terms of GPA, I was able to reach the dean's list 4 times in my 4 years of pre-med. I then moved to Canada, and I had to take up some prerequisite courses to enroll in med school. I took the MCAT and got into University of British Columbia and now I am currently practicing as a family doctor here in Victoria. I have 3 points to share to clarify some misconceptions about being an honor student.

1) It is not the grades that define a person, because I know a lot of people who got way better grades than me but, they did so by either cheating or putting a lot of effort in HW, SW or projects. There are many factors that affect grades, however in the real world it is what you learned in school and not the grades that count.

2)Just because you aren't an honor student it doesn't mean you are dumb. I know a lot of people that have the capacity to be an honor student but choose not to because it takes too much work.

3)You don't have to be a genius in order to succeed in life. I know a lot of people who were naturally more intelligent than me, however they didn't have the work ethic and passion that I have. Intelligence is only one factor, there are other virtues that one can posses that would lead one to achieve greatness.