Guitar Talk

guitar lessons? stay away from yamaha, ripoff yang mga yan! i know coz i used to teach in yamaha.hehe. but not because they're not talented at teaching. mababa kasi sweldo ng teacher, malaki ang cut sobra ng yamaha...so hindi ganado ang teacher.

maybe youre better off, learning the basic open chords and strumming muna.learn the hand symbols,etc.correct terminologies...konting theory. basic stuff. learn the foundation first before building your house, then eventually uild your castle.

ang yamaha school of music cguro kung gusto mo mag enroll ka lang ng 6 meetings...have them show you the basics lang.then move on...learn by yourself. ako basically self taught..so i know it can be done.

about rj guitars...i guess theyre ok...up to a certain point. i think theyre worth ...better off ka sa mga beginner guitars sa JB. mga unknown brands ang nandun...magpasama ka sa marunong tumingin ng guitar, patulong ka at pakain mo na lang sa jollibee pagkatapos.

RJ guitars are fine i guess...yung hardware ng mga yan ay ok...ung pickup,body and neck lang ang MIP( made in phil ). but the rest is either MIJ or MIK...japan or korea. madali na lang mag upgrade ng bridge or pickups....pero wag asahan ang RJ sa repair at pag customize.dati magaling sila dyan.may pabrika pa nga sila sa mandaluyong....nasara na ata yan e.nalugi kasi si ramon jacinto sa investment nya dati..i forget kung tunkol saan yun...naki-tsismis kasi ako sa kabanda kong mayaman na close sa mga jacinto...sayang.

guitar hospital by arie hipolito is a really good repair shop. yung mga showband guitarists alam yan.try asking them or search ninyo sa friendster. nas friends list ko sya pero d ko alam kung anong first last name nya or kung anong email addy nya.

hope this helps.........guitars dont come cheap...strats are worth their money....even the korean ones.madali i-upgrade.pasensya na.sobrang biased ako sa fender.

about rj guitars...i guess theyre ok...up to a certain point. i think theyre worth ...better off ka sa mga beginner guitars sa JB. mga unknown brands ang nandun...magpasama ka sa marunong tumingin ng guitar, patulong ka at pakain mo na lang sa jollibee pagkatapos.

RJ guitars are fine i guess...yung hardware ng mga yan ay ok...ung pickup,body and neck lang ang MIP( made in phil ). but the rest is either MIJ or MIK...japan or korea. madali na lang mag upgrade ng bridge or pickups....pero wag asahan ang RJ sa repair at pag customize.dati magaling sila dyan.may pabrika pa nga sila sa mandaluyong....nasara na ata yan e.nalugi kasi si ramon jacinto sa investment nya dati..i forget kung tunkol saan yun...naki-tsismis kasi ako sa kabanda kong mayaman na close sa mga jacinto...sayang.

guitar hospital by arie hipolito is a really good repair shop. yung mga showband guitarists alam yan.try asking them or search ninyo sa friendster. nas friends list ko sya pero d ko alam kung anong first last name nya or kung anong email addy nya.

hope this helps.........guitars dont come cheap...strats are worth their money....even the korean ones.madali i-upgrade.pasensya na.sobrang biased ako sa fender.

blues2death: thanx for the input. my tagalog isn't very good, but from what I can understand, RJ guitars are ok and I guess you probably think it's easily outgrown. Not really sure what the second paragraph says, but I think you say that one can take an RJ and have it upgraded.

I have checked out RJ, JB and a few stores at Market Market and can't tell what ok and what's not. Most are in the P6k - P9K range.

I'm interested in an electric and acoustic. Not sure what to get. So as not to outgrow too quickly, I'm looking for an intermediate level guitar. Any recomendations??? Been watching lots of MTV and trying to see what the guys are using.

Any suggestions???

blues2death:  thanx for the input.  my tagalog isn't very good, but from what I can understand, RJ guitars are ok and I guess you probably think it's easily outgrown.  Not really sure what the second paragraph says, but I think you say that one can take an RJ and have it upgraded.

I have checked out RJ, JB and a few stores at Market Market and can't tell what ok and what's not.  Most are in the P6k - P9K range.

I'm interested in an electric and acoustic.  Not sure what to get.  So as not to outgrow too quickly, I'm looking for an intermediate level guitar.  Any recomendations???  Been watching lots of MTV and trying to see what the guys are using. 

Any suggestions???

get a strat.....fender stratocaster.....that's an intermediate guitar if i saw one....more than intermediate i would say.

other guitars would simply be too specialized for an average guitar player.

get a les paul or any humbucker equipped guitar when you want something a little bit heavier sounding.get a telecaster if you're into funk or country...for jazz get a hollowbody epiphone or gibson.

Learn how to play a guitar is one of my goal but until now still dont know how :(. I bought a guitar b4 and gave it to my ex asked him to teach me but we broke up with no single chords I learned from him. Too bad.

Im still looking forward that one of these days I can play a guitar as good as you guys.

I really need a tutor from someone.

blues2death:  thanx for the input.  my tagalog isn't very good, but from what I can understand, RJ guitars are ok and I guess you probably think it's easily outgrown.  Not really sure what the second paragraph says, but I think you say that one can take an RJ and have it upgraded.

I have checked out RJ, JB and a few stores at Market Market and can't tell what ok and what's not.  Most are in the P6k - P9K range.

I'm interested in an electric and acoustic.  Not sure what to get.  So as not to outgrow too quickly, I'm looking for an intermediate level guitar.  Any recomendations???  Been watching lots of MTV and trying to see what the guys are using. 

Any suggestions???

DO NOT get an ibanez with floyd rose tremolo system....

mababaliw ka mag set up ng tremolo mo pag nag change ka na nga strings.

blues2death: thanx for the input. my tagalog isn't very good, but from what I can understand, RJ guitars are ok and I guess you probably think it's easily outgrown. Not really sure what the second paragraph says, but I think you say that one can take an RJ and have it upgraded.

I have checked out RJ, JB and a few stores at Market Market and can't tell what ok and what's not. Most are in the P6k - P9K range.

I'm interested in an electric and acoustic. Not sure what to get. So as not to outgrow too quickly, I'm looking for an intermediate level guitar. Any recomendations??? Been watching lots of MTV and trying to see what the guys are using.

Any suggestions???

if youre lookin for electric/accoustics try Ovation at Jb music store..ranging from PHP 18k to 33K yung korean made...mga 100k plus naman yung US made... a lower version of ovation is the applause ..yan mga 13k lang... but still its your choice.. nasa budget mo yan. pag youre located sa US or Canada... Go for Taylor guitars or Martin. :D

Learn how to play a guitar is one of my goal but until now still dont know how :(. I bought a guitar b4 and gave it to my ex asked him to teach me but we broke up with no single chords I learned from him. Too bad.

Im still looking forward that one of these days I can play a guitar as good as you guys.

I really need a tutor from someone.

:( selfish naman ex mo..di ka man lang naturuan.. bili ka nalang ulit bago guitar and go to http://www.guitartricks.com/ ... study online.. pero syempre mas makakatulong pag meron kang tutor para actual lesson and mga tricks matuturo kagad. :D

if youre lookin for electric/accoustics try Ovation at Jb music store..ranging from PHP 18k to 33K yung korean made...mga 100k plus naman yung US made... a lower version of ovation is the applause ..yan mga 13k lang... but still its your choice.. nasa budget mo yan. pag youre located sa US or Canada... Go for Taylor guitars or Martin. :D

:( selfish naman ex mo..di ka man lang naturuan.. bili ka nalang ulit bago guitar and go to http://www.guitartricks.com/ ... study online.. pero syempre mas makakatulong pag meron kang tutor para actual lesson and mga tricks matuturo kagad. :D

daxxxtrip: Thanx for your input as well. I'm really learning alot from you guys...

I'm still a guitar newbie, so P18K + is a bit steep for me. Yea, I've read all the forums and I guess that's the standard starting price, but I'm here in the Philippines and I keep reading about all these decent quality copies. I'm sure when and if I get good and more serious, I'll drop a lot more money into a quality guitar, but for now, I'm shooting a little bit lower. I understand that better equipment will keep me more serious, but I'd still like to start with a less expensive guitar. You're the second person to mention JB, so I may start leaning towards that store. I keep asking about RJ because I read a forum where many say that their locally made Fender Strats and Les Pauls with RJ stamp play just as good as the real ones.

Yea, I'm stingy and asking for my cake and wanting to eat it too, but why now. I just want a good quality guitar that won't fall out of tune after a few strums and sounds decent. If my interest and talent start to rise, then so will the prices of my guitars...

Thanx for the info guys...

daxxxtrip: Need more advice if you don't mind. I was at Mega Mall today, so I was able to check out JB, Yamaha, Perfect Pitch and some of the locals on the upper floors. I saw the Applause for a bit over P8K. Are there different versions of the Applause? Also, I see other brands such as Yamaha, Fernando, Rockster, Maestro to name a few within the same price range, give or take a few thousand pesos. Quality wise, would the Applause be a better choice? Also, I plan on taking this back to the states where 110 electricity is the norm. Would this be a problem as most things here are 220.

With regards to electric guitars, I saw a Washburn at the Yamaha store for about P11K. I've read that that's an ok brand and I believe I was looking at a Fender Strat version. You opinion? or should I look elsewhere?

Some dude on the upper floors selling from the middle was pushing Don_Jon guitars. He said it was a choice of the local bands. True??? He said his was an Ovation copy and he sold them for about P1400.

daxxxtrip: Need more advice if you don't mind. I was at Mega Mall today, so I was able to check out JB, Yamaha, Perfect Pitch and some of the locals on the upper floors. I saw the Applause for a bit over P8K. Are there different versions of the Applause? Also, I see other brands such as Yamaha, Fernando, Rockster, Maestro to name a few within the same price range, give or take a few thousand pesos. Quality wise, would the Applause be a better choice? Also, I plan on taking this back to the states where 110 electricity is the norm. Would this be a problem as most things here are 220.

With regards to electric guitars, I saw a Washburn at the Yamaha store for about P11K. I've read that that's an ok brand and I believe I was looking at a Fender Strat version. You opinion? or should I look elsewhere?

Some dude on the upper floors selling from the middle was pushing Don_Jon guitars. He said it was a choice of the local bands. True??? He said his was an Ovation copy and he sold them for about P1400.

I also have a question guys. mga Bro, snobbysnack is asking about the Washburn that the stores are selling. MAybe he was talking about the WASHBURN X-series. My brother bought 1 in Yupangco not so long ago. wala pa nga yatang 1 year. Ngayon dislocated na iyung strap holders nung guitar. My bandmate told me na may kakilala raw sya na nagwowork dati sa yupangco na iyung mga guitars raw branded na mura at packaged ay dito na lang raw sa pinas ginawa. Is there by any chance na true iyung allegations. FR naman kayo especially those who have info regarding this. Thanks!!!

sorry for the late response..with regards to yamaha (accoustic/electric)youve mention in your pm...well i guess it is much better compare with applause... the sound is quite better compare with the hallow rounded back of applause and ovation. the produced sound from yamaha will satisfy your ear when you start playing. Dont worry about the voltage rating because it wont use electrical power from the outlet. it is just a pick-up and just plug it in your amplifier/receiver

well im not familiar with eletric guitars...maybe some of our friends here will give you better advice.

hope this help...and feel free to ask for assistance... :D

For me, i suggest you take the Yamaha...tried and tested

For electrics...newbies are better off with Fender Strat Standard or you may opt for the Fender Strat Squier Series (much cheaper), A Washburn is also a good choice

I also have a question guys. mga Bro, snobbysnack is asking about the Washburn that the stores are selling. MAybe he was talking about the WASHBURN X-series. My brother bought 1 in Yupangco not so long ago. wala pa nga yatang 1 year. Ngayon dislocated na iyung strap holders nung guitar. My bandmate told me na may kakilala raw sya na nagwowork dati sa yupangco na iyung mga guitars raw branded na mura at packaged ay dito na lang raw sa pinas ginawa. Is there by any chance na true iyung allegations. FR naman kayo especially those who have info regarding this. Thanks!!!

ok here's the deal. i know that rj gets the electronics,bridge and other hardware from korea,japan or taiwan...that is they purchase them....the wood parts---neck and body...they make themselves. so an rj is not completely made in the philippines...assembled in the philippines.

as for the yamaha allegations. it's possible that they assembled that cheaper priced guitars here...but the parts surely come from another country...usually korea,japan or taiwan,coz they are the leading manufacturer for ANYTHING nowadays.personally i have no problems with this just as long as it's assembled right. it's like having your guitar repaired...you dont have to send it to america right? the point is the labor is cheaper in the philippines.

good acoustics--for beginners....yamaha cg series( cg is for classical guitar-nylon string)...yamaha fg series...(folk guitar--steel) ...the cg and fg stand for the model names.

as for the applause and ovation guitars---wether beginner or whatever...i dont like their sound or feel. the roundbacks are made of fiber...not wood....wood is important for a good guitar tone...wether electric or acoustic.i used to like them...but now...

good electric guitars....yamaha pacifica, washburn lyon series...also ibanez gio series...fender or squire strats....10-15k pesos...

lahat yun strat body or style...ok din ang mga korean made sa JB...pero have someone try them out for you....

ok din ang godin radiator ..and epiphone...w/c is les paul styled body....

....good enough for a beginner...you would learn faster if you get an electric...not necessarily but the strings are easier to press....but on acoustic since it's harder to press...you get good exercise...good foundation for things to come...

regarding yamaha...i bought FG series several years ago. ok naman craftsmanship per problem eh yun sound. sobrang flat and hindi intonated. nagustuhan ko kasi yun hitsura kaya kunuha ko hehehe actually yun seagull pangit hitsura pero pag pinakinggan mo hanep yun tunog. may magagawa pa ba ako para maayos yun tunog ng acoustic ko? thanks.

regarding yamaha...i bought FG series several years ago. ok naman craftsmanship per problem eh yun sound. sobrang flat and hindi intonated. nagustuhan ko kasi yun hitsura kaya kunuha ko hehehe actually yun seagull pangit hitsura pero pag pinakinggan mo hanep yun tunog. may magagawa pa ba ako para maayos yun tunog ng acoustic ko? thanks.

i agree...di masyado maganda ang FG series.pero hindi din pangit bro....

para gumanda ang tunog? maybe you can change the strings...usually pag ginamitan mo ng mas makapal na strings...gumaganda din ang tunog...make sure you use high quality strings though...wag naman ang MAYA na strings....make it D'ADDARIO or Dean Markley man lang...medyo mahal pero sa tingin ko naman worth it ang sound...and when you change it wag yung tingi-tingi..change the whole set...

also the guaranteed way to change the overall sound? Practice bro...hehehe

guys may pwede ba ikabit sa guitar na headset instead of amps pra pag tulog na mga tao sa bahay namin pwde ako magwala mag isa? hehehe

most multi fx nowadays have a headphone jack so you could practice w/o disturbing anyone.....ako sobrang cheap ako noon. i had no money to buy effects or an amp...so i settled for the family karaoke.hehe, it actually worked...if you could sound good there...you could sound good on just about any decent gear....ung karaoke may heaphone jack din yun...

i agree...di masyado maganda ang FG series.pero hindi din pangit bro....

para gumanda ang tunog? maybe you can change the strings...usually pag ginamitan mo ng mas makapal na strings...gumaganda din ang tunog...make sure you use high quality strings though...wag naman ang MAYA na strings....make it D'ADDARIO or Dean Markley man lang...medyo mahal pero sa tingin ko naman worth it ang sound...and when you change it wag yung tingi-tingi..change the whole set...

Yup. That is right. Madalas kaya madali mawala sa tono ung guitar is because luma na iyung strings.

guys may pwede ba ikabit sa guitar na headset instead of amps pra pag tulog na mga tao sa bahay namin pwde ako magwala mag isa? hehehe

try to look for digital effects pedals.

most of them do have a line out for headphones.

no need for amps just guitar-pedal-headphones.

easy lang sa volume pre.

• 2 weeks later...