Guitar Talk

The most bizarre for me is that Albert Collins play his Telecaster in an OPEN F#m tuning. He does not play slide and he does not use a pick--opting to pluck / pull strings with his bare fingers. Most of all he has a CAPO setup on the 7th fret!

Can't argue with a man who has sold so much records in his lifetime and played/jammed with the rest of them, eh? 

:D

Indeed, Open Tunings are not unique to slide guitar players. In the UK there is now a fairly long standing folk tradition of finger picking styles using a variety of open tunings. Probably the most famous UK afficionados have been Bert Jansch (my 60's hero) and Martyn Carthy (who taught Bob Dylan a variety of British folk styles in 62/63). The main reason for doing so is because of the very different tonal/chord combinations you can get, without resorting to the standard Western tunings. This opens up a variety of melodic scales more common to Eastern/Oriental musical traditions, by-passing the standard musical/chord conventions. Mark Knopfler ofetn does the same, combining plucked Open Chord sequences with more conventional tracks e.g. Romeo and Juliet, Love Over Gold, Precious Angel. Without Open Tuning, it would be very difficult to achieve the same note sequences.

experiment mo bro...dami kasi fx ngayon eh. i have the standard set up for my analog ex guitar-noise supp-comp-dist-eq-chorus-delay-amp if im using digital its guitar dist(for boost)-wah-multi fx-amp

yup.. saw a zoom 606 sa raon for 5K, rp80 for 5.8K

but china made to.. try ko yung zoom606, okey naman

sya... di ko nabili.. okey pa naman Peavey Amp ko paired with my Ibañez! :)

Peavey+Ibañez = Joe Satriani! hehehehe

Yep. Open tunings provide an unexplored tonal horizon as it frees the player from conventional chord shapes. Even the Dropped D tuning employed by many players today is not new as it was utilized in early records.

As it is, as long as it sounds good--any tuning can be accepted. That is one of the wonderful traits of the guitar.

:D

Indeed, Open Tunings are not unique to slide guitar players.  In the UK there is now a fairly long standing folk tradition of finger picking styles using a variety of open tunings.  Probably the most famous UK afficionados have been Bert Jansch (my 60's hero) and Martyn Carthy (who taught Bob Dylan a variety of British folk styles in 62/63).  The main reason for doing so is because of the very different tonal/chord combinations you can get, without resorting to the standard Western tunings.  This opens up a variety of melodic scales more common to Eastern/Oriental musical traditions, by-passing the standard musical/chord conventions.  Mark Knopfler ofetn does the same, combining plucked Open Chord sequences with more conventional tracks e.g. Romeo and Juliet, Love Over Gold, Precious Angel.  Without Open Tuning, it would be very difficult to achieve the same note sequences.     

PASAWAY!!! :grr:

Dmo man lang niliitan ung picture ng gitara mo... Joke!!! Hehe..  :lol:

It looked nice DUDE.  :thumbsupsmiley:

May I know how much did you spend for the D'MARZIO HB pickup ??? :blush:

I'm planning to change my guitar's (look at that IBANEZ GXR370 Silver Burst) bridge pickup as well with D'MARZIO but AUDIOPHILE is selling those single pickups for 2,800 already. WOW!!! :boo: How much would that be for a Double HB.... :rolleyes:

KEEP ON ROCKIN & F*CKIN GUYS!!!  :mtc:

Sorry about the pic size. Akala ko din maliit nung tinignan ko sa photo editor kaso nung nag-reply na ako dito sa thread sukat akalain ba namang malaki pala hehe.

I got my Dimarzio from RJ Music Store at the Galleria about '96 or '97. The price then was Php 2,500.

Haven't tried that one yet.

Recently, what I did try on for size was the Snarling Dogs models. Tried them out in the store beside Perfect Pitch in Ali Mall. The store was not so big... can't remember the name but they sell quite a lot of the cheap items there. I was real surprised they carried Snarling Dogs which has been around for quite some time now.

ahhh jun lopito...pangalan pa lang lupit na! hehehe

ey has anyone of you tried the hellbabe? its a wah pedal fyi :)

Haven't tried that one yet.

Recently, what I did try on for size was the Snarling Dogs models. Tried them out in the store beside Perfect Pitch in Ali Mall. The store was not so big... can't remember the name but they sell quite a lot of the cheap items there. I was real surprised they carried Snarling Dogs which has been around for quite some time now.

How much did the Snarling Dogs cost? Was it any good?

Nope. It's not Audiophile.

There is a store about 1 or 2 shops at the right of Perfect Pitch which sells slides and tuners, small amps. They carry a lot of no name chinese made guitars plus percussion.

Di ko rin napapansin yunh shopo na yon until someone brought me there.

i did not notice any music store in alimall aside from perfect pitch...baka audiophile yun? kung AP yun, madami sila ok na brands saka amps.

I currently have this brand new Black Ibañez RG1527 RB 7-string (not so sure if this s the right model but it resembles perfectly) RJ replica given to me as a B-day present. with original floyd rose. i'm not familiar with 7 strings though, so i'm planning to sell or trade it. do you happen to know how much would this cost. I inquired at RJ music city and they told me that it would roughly cost P35,000. of course it is unbelievable and store prices are usually a bit higher. if there's anyone out there who could please help me apraise the stuff, i would appreciate it much.

I tried the Red colored one-- I think it was called the Whine O' Wah pedal.

it cost somewhere less than PhP 7,000 if I remember right.

The pedal was pretty good as the looks alone gets some points on Fun. The tone was not bad--I felt the Crybaby was better however -- as I felt that the tone kind of thinned out --BUT ONLY a little when switched on. The pedal comes alive with the pedal sweeps as the movement did not feel cheap and breakable.

I did not have much time to do a full test but the pedal should merit a second look. They also have the 2 other Snarling Dogs pedal there-- the Bass wah and the Blue Doo wah which also has a distortion effect that comes with it. I would love to try that soon as this reminds me of the Foxx Models Fuzz Wah which combines Wah and overdrive pedals in one.

Regards!

How much did the Snarling Dogs cost?  Was it any good?

I tried the Red colored one-- I think it was called the Whine O' Wah pedal.

it cost somewhere less than PhP 7,000 if I remember right.

The pedal was pretty good as the looks alone gets some points on Fun. The tone was not bad--I felt the Crybaby was better however -- as I felt that the tone kind of thinned out --BUT ONLY a little when switched on. The pedal comes alive with the pedal sweeps as the movement did not feel cheap and breakable.

I did not have much time to do a full test but the pedal should merit a second look. They also have the 2 other Snarling Dogs pedal there-- the Bass wah and the Blue Doo wah which also has a distortion effect that comes with it. I would love to try that soon as this reminds me of the Foxx Models Fuzz Wah which combines Wah and overdrive pedals in one.

Regards!

bro.. anung store to?? directions naman.. tnx

I think the name of the store is "LAZER". Pag sanay ka tumingin sa Perfect Pitch or Audiophile--this is the type of store na hindi mo ganong papansinin sa una as the shop seems to carry so many of the no name brands in their display.

Everything changes of course when you go inside as they carry a good number of strings,straps and other small accessories. They also have drum kit accessories.

If you're facing Perfect Pitch, the shop is about 1-2 shops on your right.

Hindi yun Audiophile as that is on the next floor up.

Regards!

bro.. anung store to?? directions naman.. tnx

Edited by 16track

Oooopppss!

Let me correct myself please!

The last time I went to Lazer to test the tiem was early June. My friend --who is a regular there-- just informed me that Lazer has transferred shop somewher else. Maybe this is why Telemaster has not seen it.

I will update you guys on where they are now. Sayang as the store is a good alternative to PPitch and Audiophile or JB. Ka liga nya Salonga's in terms of gear.

My apologies to everyone.

:(

I think the name of the store is "LAZER". Pag sanay ka tumingin sa Perfect Pitch or Audiophile--this is the type of store na hindi mo ganong papansinin sa una as the shop seems to carry so many of the no name brands in their display.

Everything changes of course when you go inside as they carry a good number of strings,straps and other small accessories. They also have drum kit accessories.

If you're facing Perfect Pitch, the shop is about 1-2 shops on your right.

Hindi yun Audiophile as that is on the next floor up.

Regards!

Telemaster:

There's an on going Handog Sale at all PPitch and Yamaha/Yupangco stores. Another sale also at JB Music stores.

Have you checked it out yet?

Got myself an acoustic nylon string guitar-- an Oscar Schmidt for PhP 2,900. I own several electrics and Acoustic guitars but I don't really have a classical guitar so I guess it was a good time to buy one. The Yamaha Classical CG series and Fender Nylons are on sale at PhP 5,000 upwards so the Oscar Schmidth was a good call --since I'm not really a classical guitar player.

The guitar, although made in China-- is a brand owned by Washburn.

I gave it a full test and it is an excellent guitar for it's price level. Frets crowned nicely, the neck was straight and smaller than regular classical guitars-- almost feeling more like a flamenco 6 string instead.

The tuners respond nicely keeping the guitar in tune despite the new strings. The finish was very nice as there were no bubbles, no scratches or swirl marks, no blemishes and no uneven spraying.

The sound was very even with each string resonating nicely and the setup was alrght with no buzzing heard on all frets. Para sa nag-uumpisa lang sa ganitong klase ng guitar, I have no regrets buying it. Over all, the Oscar Smidth played well and easy.

Although I had to re-orient myself a few times that this was a nylon string guitar and not a steel string -- whereby I had to adjust my playing approach, the joy that comes with playing it was worth much much more than it's price.

At PhP 2,900, how can I go wrong, right?

Here's what it looks like:

no problem sir :)

post-6260-1129678184.jpg

Edited by 16track