Let's Talk About China

I bough a typical siopao for approx 9 pesos per piece

food in beijing is cheap,

for 5rmb which is equivalent to 35-40peso, i was able to buy 8pieces of xiaolongbao and 8 pieces of siomai.

for those who want to shop, try xiushuijie, just make sure that you know how to haggle with the mainlanders.

yeah Shanghai is modern... Paris of the East... There is a China Expo right now.... the biggest ever... Pity when we visited the Philippine Pavilion the outside decors was so drab... though it was compensated by nice welcoming Filipiniana dancers. Can it be improved?

I have the same sentiments about our pavilion in shanghai. Too bad they decided to showcase our "oishi" and "bench" products instead of our culture and history. we do have "hilot" in our pavilion and i think that's the main reason people go inside.

Beijing now has a lot of modern/contemporary places to visit, it's now a good mix of the old and the new. Tianjin is 20mins away by bullet train if you are after European Architecture. Food is the only downside in Beijing with the exception of the Peking Duck which is actually cheap when compared to Manila.

There are now Cebu Pacific flights to Beijing in addition to the PAL flights.

Basic Guide to Beijing

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346346&page=110

From PEX

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6098/img0626b.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9073/001lz.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/254/001gh.jpg

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/7763/img8532.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2973/32838497.jpg

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7828/41113204.jpg

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/972/img8482h.jpg

Edited by xiamen

I have the same sentiments about our pavilion in shanghai. Too bad they decided to showcase our "oishi" and "bench" products instead of our culture and history. we do have "hilot" in our pavilion and i think that's the main reason people go inside.

Oishi and bench have the same set of owners. News from shanghai is that they made a significant contribution to the expo.

^^ Dont forget to hang out in Xintiandi! :) Parang little Europe. Hehe. Nice restos and bars. :)

Thanks for reply Ms. Chiq... unfortunately I was not able to log on to MTC anymore before we left so I wasn't able to check out Xintiandi... Maybe next time...

BTW... nice sig!

If you want nice architecture, go to the French Concession area.

Hi Mango Man! Nice to see you here. Too bad I wasn't able to see your post before I left. Maybe when I go (or my dad) somewhere else and make another query you can make some suggestions as well. Thanks again!

Sayang we were able to visit the Philippine Pavilion since we concentrated on the pavilions on the other side of the river. Pago na kami and had no more energy to go across...

• 2 weeks later...

Oishi is probably the most successful brand from Philippines in China, akala nila galing ng japan hehe, once, the pics of mark nelson and rica paralejo wearing bench underwear was displayed in xintiandi in this particular department store parang malaking billboard sa edsa, but was taken down dahil conservative mga chinese hehe

shanghai has the best choices of restaurants, from boutique resto (old houses with courtyards) or plain business type resto pero serving hot pots, then the big resto, as in parang 3 (three) floors ng megamall pero one restaurant lang, then the best for me are those outside shanghai, going to jardine district everytime to play golf, your can try hundreds of small restaurant na parang sa probinsya, home cook style, dahil probinsya nga, its 50% or sometimes 70% less than inside shanghai. tas uso sa shanghai yung hotels na mi revolving restaurants top floor, pag tiningnan mo parang mi flying saucer, yung jinjiang group of hotels which also own the famous Shanghai hotel hehe has this hotel in old french concession, parang manila hotel, its where you can walk around to buy nice stuff, imitation in its best quality. dalawa jinjiang sa area, the other one is jinjiang tower this has the revolving parang flying saucer resto sa top floor.

sana matapos na yung bullet train (not maglev) from shanghai to beijing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived in Beijing before, and I've visited many cities intermittently. For me, the Chinese capital is still hands down better than Shanghai. There is very little in the way of culture in Shanghai, except for the Bund and several small museums. It's just a bigger version of Hong Kong. Everything is concrete, steel and glass. Big f#&k1ng deal, we get that in every modern city in the world.

For now, though, the traffic and smog in Beijing has pushed it off the top of my list of Chinese cities. The best for me is Dalian—excellent climate, clean and orderly, good culture and food.

• 2 months later...

Oishi is probably the most successful brand from Philippines in China, akala nila galing ng japan hehe, once, the pics of mark nelson and rica paralejo wearing bench underwear was displayed in xintiandi in this particular department store parang malaking billboard sa edsa, but was taken down dahil conservative mga chinese hehe

shanghai has the best choices of restaurants, from boutique resto (old houses with courtyards) or plain business type resto pero serving hot pots, then the big resto, as in parang 3 (three) floors ng megamall pero one restaurant lang, then the best for me are those outside shanghai, going to jardine district everytime to play golf, your can try hundreds of small restaurant na parang sa probinsya, home cook style, dahil probinsya nga, its 50% or sometimes 70% less than inside shanghai. tas uso sa shanghai yung hotels na mi revolving restaurants top floor, pag tiningnan mo parang mi flying saucer, yung jinjiang group of hotels which also own the famous Shanghai hotel hehe has this hotel in old french concession, parang manila hotel, its where you can walk around to buy nice stuff, imitation in its best quality. dalawa jinjiang sa area, the other one is jinjiang tower this has the revolving parang flying saucer resto sa top floor.

sana matapos na yung bullet train (not maglev) from shanghai to beijing.

I thought Jack & Jill ang pinaka prominent pinoy brand sa China?

• 3 weeks later...

Super polluted pa din ba sa Beijing ngayon?

Not as much as Metro Manila. I got back last Friday from a weeklong stay in Beijing. Vehicles there use mostly unleaded and natural gas for fuel. No diesel. Factories are still a problem but there is so much vegetation around that it helps absorb the volatile organic compounds. 

Beijing is such an amazing city. It just manages to keep transforming itself even ahead of the world. 

There is a pending plan for one of the districts in Beijing to construct an elevated bus that is as wide as the highway. The thing is, vehicles can pass under the bus, thereby preventing traffic from being held up while buses stop to drop off and pick up passengers. It's still in the planning stage and won't be realized for some years because this type of bus needs reconstructed highways as well (wide enough to accommodate the buses when they turn, and the signposts to be high enough so as not to obstruct the elevated bus).

• 2 months later...

Went to Beijing last December 24 to 30. The city was nice. Unlike any other cities in China, people there are more disciplined and the place is cleaner (if you know what I mean).

China's really progressing. Time for the Philippines to get close to China instead of the US! China is the future!

• 3 weeks later...

The beauty of China is being able to see places outside the usual places tourist go and unfortunately there are a lot of these places.

Big cities are often travelled by us but places in Yunan and Sichuan province are beautiful. The main cities there look all the same malls etc but there are great spots like Lijiang in Yunan.The old town is a good stroll, the weather usually cool since it is higher. Kunming is the main city and they have their sites as well, the stone forest is one. In SiChuan aside from the panda reserve, there are almost unspoiled places like Jiuchaikou, I think that is how it is more or less pronounced ( 9 valley something ). Google through these places.

Try to see a new place at least once a year, then you can compare things and find your own Shangrila, a place you go to just to relax

I know where mine is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Lived in Beijing for several years, still go back there for some business at least once a year.

China is so vast, with so many different sites to see and interesting things to do. Of course, iba rin kung may Chinese heritage, because the places would take on an even deeper meaning (I am not ethnic Chinese). By now, Cina is more tourist/traveler friendly, but getting a lot more expensive.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't able to have a real Beijing experience because I only went to the touristy places. And then we took the overnight train going to Shanghai. Between the two cities, id like to go back to Shanghai. It's modern yet it has an old world feel. It was a good thing that I checked mtc before my china trip because one of the members suggested that I visit Xintiandi and I did. Great hang out place. Will definitely go there again.

I wasn't able to have a real Beijing experience because I only went to the touristy places. And then we took the overnight train going to Shanghai. Between the two cities, id like to go back to Shanghai. It's modern yet it has an old world feel. It was a good thing that I checked mtc before my china trip because one of the members suggested that I visit Xintiandi and I did. Great hang out place. Will definitely go there again.

Xin Tian Di is somewhat our version of greenbelt where you can just hang out and have some drink..there are also bars there where filipinos play the band..sad to say it is also home to prostitutes some are even our kababayan..some tourist spot in Shanghai you i might also wanna check is The Bund ,Nanjing Road & Oriental Pearl TV tower...

Try mo rin sakyan yung Maglev Train nila going to the airport on your way home..

• 3 months later...