Let's Talk About China

• 2 weeks later...

here's the places i've visited when i was in shanghai. i miss shanghai, the paris of asia!

Xintiendi

Zhujiajiao - an ancient water town

Hangzhou- well know in the world for its beautiful West Lake

Commercial area : Huaihai Road , Nanjing Road ,Xujiahui

Yuyuan Garden

Xiangyang Market - Tiange (it was closed last year)

The Bund

In Pudong District - Jin Mao Tower, Oriental Pearl, Shanghai Underwater

Puto Shan - Buddhist Island

• 2 weeks later...

Im planning to tour in China early October. Ive read the backposts, and am checking out your recommendations. One thing that I havent read yet (or missed) in the discussions is where to find cheap (but clean) accomodations. Are there hostel(dormitory) types for travelers or such....Kasi backpackers lang kami pagpunta dun. If not, can anyone recommend a decent hotel?

Much better (bakasakali lang) if may MTC member dito na willing mag-host sa amin hehehe :thumbsupsmiley: ! 1 guy (me) and 3 girls, mga barkada ko from college. Matino naman kami, all working pros, we can help with the dishes...hehehe. We'll be spending most of our time in Shanghai, but plan on going to Beijing and nearby sites.

Would really help kung may magvolunteer maging tour guide hehehe....Pagusapan na lang ang payment...Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Im planning to tour in China early October. Ive read the backposts, and am checking out your recommendations. One thing that I havent read yet (or missed) in the discussions is where to find cheap (but clean) accomodations. Are there hostel(dormitory) types for travelers or such....Kasi backpackers lang kami pagpunta dun. If not, can anyone recommend a decent hotel?

Much better (bakasakali lang) if may MTC member dito na willing mag-host sa amin hehehe :thumbsupsmiley: ! 1 guy (me) and 3 girls, mga barkada ko from college. Matino naman kami, all working pros, we can help with the dishes...hehehe. We'll be spending most of our time in Shanghai, but plan on going to Beijing and nearby sites.

Would really help kung may magvolunteer maging tour guide hehehe....Pagusapan na lang ang payment...Thanks!

if you go to beijing then go to the great wall :thumbsupsmiley:

is jou lu lu still "active street" in shanghai? used to be very cheap there... then "lao wei(s)" came and it became $100 as standard rate!

if you go to beijing then go to the great wall :thumbsupsmiley:

is jou lu lu still "active street" in shanghai? used to be very cheap there... then "lao wei(s)" came and it became $100 as standard rate!

Yessir! We have one day to spend on the great wall...hope it turns out to be truly great. :lol:

1.5 months to go...have to get my visa na...honga pala...

Ano po yung jou lu lu? $100 for what? US$? must be something good :hypocritesmiley: :rolleyes: :evil:

• 1 month later...

Just visited Guangzhou. Nice place to visit the wholesales centers. They are huge. Hundreds of shops in one area. each specializing in electronic, wedding growns, watches, textiles, beauty products, shoes, seafood, toys, etc

here's the places i've visited when i was in shanghai. i miss shanghai, the paris of asia!

Xintiendi

Zhujiajiao - an ancient water town

Hangzhou- well know in the world for its beautiful West Lake

Commercial area : Huaihai Road , Nanjing Road ,Xujiahui

Yuyuan Garden

Xiangyang Market - Tiange (it was closed last year)

The Bund

In Pudong District - Jin Mao Tower, Oriental Pearl, Shanghai Underwater

Puto Shan - Buddhist Island

• 3 weeks later...
Just visited Guangzhou. Nice place to visit the wholesales centers. They are huge. Hundreds of shops in one area. each specializing in electronic, wedding growns, watches, textiles, beauty products, shoes, seafood, toys, etc

yup.sobrang laki ng wholesale center d2. like ive been to textile&accessories market..they will give u free samples of different kinds of beads,accessories. Guangzhou has really huge market. they also have like greenhills type of market..makakabili ka ng brand new,second hand na mga mobile fones,mp3's,ipods, laptop etc.. cheap price tlga then pwede mo pa tawaran as long na u have interpreter or kasamang chinese pra mas easy communication if u dont know mandarin...pro ok nmn din ang quality :)

Edited by sha79
  • 2 weeks later...
We're planning to go to either Shanghai or Beijing mid-november. Ask ko lang, gaano kaya katagal i-process ung Chinese visa sa Manila? Kasi we'll just stay sa Manila for few days e kaya I cannot afford to apply a visa kung it will take more than a week pa.

We have a guy here in our office who processes our visas. From what I know, normal processing for single entry visas to China takes 4 working days and costs about PHP1,400. But there is also 2-day and 1-day processing which costs PHP3,100 (for 1-day).

I'll also be in Shanghai from 20-24 December. I hope you can give me some tips when you get back from your trip. Balak sana namin pumunta din ng Beijing kaya lang sayang ang oras dahil 12 hours yata ang biyahe by train. Baka naman you can find out the rates for the new "bullet train". Balita namin 5 hours lang daw pero mahal.

Ingat bro.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was in China last October...and really enjoyed the trip! :thumbsupsmiley:

Kahit nakakapagod, kasi we went to 3 cities in 8 days - Shanghai - Xi'an - Beijing (by air).

Best place I would recommend is Xi'an - I just loved the place...old Chinese city, and the walls

were really big!! You can even bike on top of the wall! haha :thumbsupsmiley:

The stone warriors, i think, was a walk in history - but i didnt enjoy it as much as

walking the walls or the fountain show in the big goose pagoda where they sync

the water movements of hundreds of fountains to the music playing - now that was a sight!!!

Xi'an still has the old chinese town feel (though it is already a city) - which i really enjoyed

especially when the fog sets in. Definitely a memory worth keeping, and worth coming back to

if I go back to China...

We were in Shanghai during the Special Olympics opening...so the crowd was HUGE! Especially around

the bund area. The river cruise was great, as well as the climb on the 88th floor of the Jin Mao Tower

(there's a jersey of Yao Ming displayed on top hehe :lol:) Dont miss the Shanghai City Planning Center

if you want to see how the city has really evolved. Theres also a really cool 3d show there of what they intend to

do with Shanghai in the future - breathtaking!

All I can say about Beijing is that aside from its historical destinations, everything about the place is getting ready for

the olympics...and prices have risen accordingly, according to a local that we spoke to. We went to the

highlights - the forbidden city, tiananmen square, olympic stadium (still under construction)etc.....the kung fu show

on the red theatre was one of my favorites! :cool: Of course we had to spend a day on the Great wall, and went to Mutianyu section which had fewer tourists than the Badaling section...from the great wall, which was on top of the mountains,

we went down via toboggan sled hehe which was really cool! you can also come down from the wall by

cable car.

Except for Shanghai, we always went to hostel (guest house/dorm) accomodations, which was cheaper and better because we met

and exchanged stories with lots of other travellers that way.