Eraserheads

Calhoun

Subject: Eheads 09

Date: January 11, 2009 Sunday

dear kids

i got a lot of messages yesterday asking about the eraserheads

concert. apparently there was a press release already in the papers.

anyhoo, here’s what i got so far.

yes its true. that much i know. but after the first one i got darwin

(soupstar, sandwich) to iron out my concerns before anything.i want

this one to be smoother. in other words i just want to rock.

the band has not me yet officially but i know the promoters have been

talking with our respective representatives since december.

we have a dysfunctional relationship haha. we play well together but i

think we can only stand each other for short periods of time.

i see buddy a lot cos were band mates in cambio. i bumped into marcus

at mogwai last week. he just got back from the beach. im glad ely’s

getting his groove back. sandwich played with pupil at guijo last friday.

we dont talk about the show. i know everyone agreed to do it so ill

guess well see each other at the presscon or rehearsals , whichever

comes first.

this wont be as top secret as the marlboro gig. there will be tickets,

sponsors and details in the papers. and well be allowed to talk about

it. haha.

PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL OR TEXT ME about it. its just a rock show. i just

want to rock.

see you all there

raim<s>

:thumbsupsmiley:

we have a dysfunctional relationship haha. we play well together but i

think we can only stand each other for short periods of time.

ayun ulet si raims o, hahaha. :P

equates to what he said after the august reunion - "The Heads don't talk. We just play."

de, serious... when I heard the "Group hug!" shouts over youtube, sabi ko... "Huh?!?!"

i asked myself, who the hell was shouting "group hug"? are they even Eheads fans?

coz we all have to admit, they were never mushy, right. ni hindi nga nag-uusap, group hug pa???

well, siguro overwhelmed lang sila... pero wish ko lang wag na nila ulitin... hahaha!

wala sa hulog! B) the heads play good music TOGETHER, yun lang, wala nang iba.

and raims, well, he said it right - albeit in a very straightforward and maybe slightly irritating manner for some -

he just wants to rock. so does ely, buddy and marcus, i bet. so i'll look forward to THE "Final Set".

... and hope against hope that they get back together!!! Hahahaha. Kumabig bigla. :lol:

I hope this is really the last one. I am a diehard Eheads fan but there are some things that you have to leave as is. Their legacy will be tarnished, IMHO, if they stage "reunion concerts" or even regroup. Tama nang ganito...at least may final farewell sila as a group.

well, for me, tama ka, kumbaga sa relationships, mabuti nang may 'closure', hehe.

a farewell performance, i think, could also be a form of "thank you"

for everybody that's been a part of their lives as a group.

siguro kaya rin lang naman marami pang umaasa that they get back together is because,

there wasnt a clear-cut explanation as to why they broke-up.

but as ive also said previously, let's just leave things as they are and respect everyone's decisions.

after all, having to be with people you don't like to be with,

even if it meant making GOOD music that raked millions and was loved by many, is a tough act. B)

Edited by Ethel

yeah. tama na yung ganyang reunion concert. kapag nagdecide pa sila na magbuo ulit baka mas tumaas ang expectations ng mga tao tapos biglang hindi na ganun kaganda like before.

Kung titignan niyo nga, their last album, carbon stereoxide, was not that a hit like the other albums. medyo experimental sila dun. pero kung tutuusin, lahat ng banda nila ngayon, were totally different from eheads na pero they are still going through a path na iba. They just continued on to experiment in music, hindi lang sila magkakasama.

and if you listen to carbon stereoxide now, you might say some songs might have been a hit now.

basta respects na lang to their decisions. everyone matures, so do we.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1g6bmg.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/vhw680.jpg

PEP: SM Mall of Asia to host E-heads concert on March 7

The stage is set for the second installment of the Eraserheads reunion concert.

At the MTV-Philippines press conference this afternoon, January 19, held at Italianni's restaurant on Bonifacio High Street, Taguig City, the band announced that the big event will be held at the SM Mall of Asia concert grounds in Pasay City on March 7.

Tentatively titled "The Final Set," the concert will once again feature Ely Buendia, Marcus Adoro, Buddy Zabala, and Raimund Marasigan on one stage.

The band's first reunion concert last August 30, 2008 at the Bonifacio Global City open field in Taguig ended abruptly after 15 songs when lead singer Buendia suffered chest pains and had to be rushed to the hospital. The legendary quartet was supposed to perform 30 of their original songs, which comprise the bulk of their entire catalog.

TOTALLY DIFFERENT. All four members graced the press conference and though the band retained that trademark nonchalance in answering questions, they collectively expressed excitement about playing together anew as one unit in front of a large audience.

"Playing with these guys is just like riding a bike," enthused Buddy. "You come on stage, remember all the old songs. It's pretty normal. But it became more exciting, a lot more exciting, when people started counting down and people started singing."

A in the first installment, the one-night affair will feature only the Eraserheads with Jazz Nicholas of the Itchyworms serving as auxiliary musician to complement the arrangement of some of the songs. When they were still active as a group, the Eraserheads used to enlist the services of multi-instrumentalist Noel Garcia to tighten their live set. Unfortunately, Noel passed away a few years ago after a heart attack.

Raimund dismissed the impression that the upcoming event will only serve as a continuation of the first reunion. He argued that the band and the production team prepared something new and different from last year's concert.

The fact that preparations are being laid out this early also means that the concert is more organized. MTV announced that further details will be made public in the coming weeks.

As for Ely's health, the enigmatic singer-songwriter assured the press that he's doing fine.

"I'm just doing all that I can to prepare myself physically, at least," said Ely, who just like his former comrades came to the presscon sporting a pair of dark shades. He confidently added, "So far, yeah, I'm in good condition to play." - Philippine Entertainment Porta

l

http://odysseylive.net/uploads_user/1000/25/26869.jpg

MANILA, Philippines—Once upon a time, they were good friends, right?

They even sang about it, turning “Minsan” (from the “Circus” album) into an iconic anthem for old friendships—the times when they would bump into one another in a college dorm; spend nights under the full moon, hungry but happy; and, yes, even that time when they decided to part ways and leave yesterday behind (euphemism for artistic and professional differences).

That’s why when Eraserheads Ely Buendia (guitar/vocals), Buddy Zabala (bass), Marcus Adoro (lead guitar) and Raimund Marasigan (drums) sat together for possibly the first time without having to belt out a single tune, everybody craned their necks to catch a glimpse of that old bond.

Stage ‘too big’

The event was the press conference that launched the go-at-it-again reunion concert of the 1990s’ most influential Filipino band, the same one that launched the careers of a thousand failed copycats.

First time they did a get-together gig was last year, Aug. 30, at The Fort’s open grounds. That one—although it ended on a glum note, with Buendia rushed to the hospital after just 15 songs—drew close to 30,000 fans. (Concert co-producer Sony BMG’s estimate is closer to 50,000).

But for all the magic that left the audience in a suspended state of Neverland, one reality stood out. Despite a clamor from the people, there were no group hugs.

“We were never that kind of a band,” said Marasigan during the press con.

But couldn’t they have at least looked at each other to nod off the next song in the list?

“The stage was too big for us to interact with each other,” added the now Sandwich frontman.

(Note to Mall of Asia property managers: When the E-heads turn up on March 7 for the second reunion concert, make them perform on a fast-food counter.)

The repeat will not merely be a continuation of the first one, although Jazz Nicolas returning as the honorary fifth Eraserhead to play extra instruments needed may give that exact impression.

“It’s going to be a whole new thing,” said Zabala.

Like how?

“There will be group hugs,” said part-time surfer Adoro. “And we will play more than 15 songs. Maybe 16.”

At last. It was refreshing to see the E-heads laugh at one another’s stab at humor. Okay, reality check: They weren’t exactly finishing each other’s sentences. But they were catching each other’s punch lines.

For a band that seemed irrevocably divided not too long ago, that was a good start.

And so was this answer by Ely Buendia, when asked whether the band members will one day find themselves in the same recording studio, doing another Eraserheads album:

“That isn’t being planned. But then again, we also said we wouldn’t do reunion gigs, and yet here we are.”

Well, here they are, indeed. Barely seven months after that magical night, they’re ready to do it again. And here we are, hoping that the reason will be more about friendship and art rather than economics.

On second thought, a group hug may do more harm than good during the concert. An awkward pat on the back, a strained smile and a hurried look-away may transform the awaited magical moment into a show biz stunt more baffling than Bebe Gandanghari’s.

Executed sincerely, though, it may prove to be the highlight of an event that’s expected to last, according to Marasigan, three hours.

Tolerance level

“We can stand each other only for three hours,” he jested.

“Beyond that would be four,” Buddy Zabala said, smiling, “and that would be disastrous.”

While other people will be quick to strum the final chord on the band’s friendship by saying that jokes are half-meant, true-blue Eraserheads fans will fish out the band’s old “Circus” CD from the rack, fast-forward to the fifth track, listen to the last stanza and continue hoping that there will be a group hug on March 7.