The Music Of The 80s - Favorites, Classics And Rarities

hitman531ph

Back in the days, I used to listen a lot to Siouxsie and the Banshees...and here's two of my personal favorites: 1) Kiss Them For Me and and this one which sounds like it could come from a Quentin Tarantino movie: 2) Something Wicked This Way Comes. Listen to it if you got time :-)

Of course I like Cities in Dust the most. There was a time I listened to it everyday and paulit ulit :-) And it's weird, it's about those old Roman cities Pompeii and Herculaneum (which were destroyed by Vesuvius' eruption). Next best is Killing Jar. Pero Kiss Them For Me, and Something Wicked This Way Comes are great mood music :-)

And actually, when I listen to Kiss Them For Me, strangely I think of some of U2's music...parang may katunog. Baka nakikinig din si Bono ng Siouxsie and the Banshees? Hahahaha!

Have you heard "Interlude", its a duet between Morrissey and Siouxie's lead vocal, forgot her name though... hehehehe

1 thing I like about Adam Sandler movies is that most of the times, I'll get to hear 80s music. Obviously iyong Wedding Singer marami but there are other movies of him that play music from the 80s. Some of my faves are Billy Idol songs (particularly Rebel Yell), Orange Crush by REM, Matador by Xmal Deutchland, Safety Dance and Pop Goes the World by Men Without Hats and songs by Inxs.

1 thing I like about Adam Sandler movies is that most of the times, I'll get to hear 80s music. Obviously iyong Wedding Singer marami but there are other movies of him that play music from the 80s. Some of my faves are Billy Idol songs (particularly Rebel Yell), Orange Crush by REM, Matador by Xmal Deutchland, Safety Dance and Pop Goes the World by Men Without Hats and songs by Inxs.

hmmm... dont you think that adam sandler is still trapped in the 80's like most of the guys posting on this thread...

hmmm... dont you think that adam sandler is still trapped in the 80's like most of the guys posting on this thread...

Now, that you mentioned it. Yeah, I think so too. So do most of his viewers probably as most of his movies are hits.

Now, that you mentioned it. Yeah, I think so too. So do most of his viewers probably as most of his movies are hits.

well... i think i have seen most of his movies and you were right... its soundtracks were consist mostly of 80's songs and even 51st date, thought revival,still 80's music.... :thumbsupsmiley:

Oh but Im not trapped in the 80s. I just like some of the stuff there, some of the music. A lot of it is really good, pero madami ding junk (even dati I think When In Rome's "The Promise" is junk, as well as as all of Gene Loves Jezebel songs <--- are they even a band???). But that's just me thinking, and I swear on my old Phoebe Cates poster I didnt mean any 80s bashing that might be misinterpreted there OK? So peace out with two hands up! :-)

PERO....pag magaling yung banda, maganda talaga yung output, and yung influence nila hanggang ngayon malakas. Like U2, The Cure, The Smiths...

Most of my memories ng 80s ay boring - can't really go out with my older cousins because I was too young, and yet I was old enough to like and listen to music of my choice, and all i had was the music most of the time, when I would just be in my room and listen sa radio all night, and then again all weekend. Laro scrabble or boggle, or pusoy, millionaires, game and watch, watch betamax, hahaha ambabaw ng trip noon. Wala kasi celphone, walang internet, walang mga bookstores like what we have today. Nakaka-frustrate in a way kasi information was difficult to get back then -- for example yung Synthecide last week ko lang nalaman yung song name and artist (thanks again to you guys).

Of course kasi 'formative years' yung mga memories ng times na yun medyo malalim ang impression. Pero I dont think anyone naman is 'trapped' in the 80s, or in any time siguro. I dont long for the 80s even as I miss some of the things associated with it.

Hmm..napapaisip tuloy ako kung anong cultural contribution ng 80s sa civilization :-) wala akong masyadong maisip sa ngayon hahaha! Hair gel research?

Anyway, as for the music, I grew to appreciate ibang types ng music. Like jazz and swing, punk, hiphop, etc,...Right now (this month) Ive been listening a lot to Pink Martini.

As for keeping the music alive, madaming magagaling na bands sa ngayon ang gumagawa ng mga covers ng 80s songs na magaling ang areglo, if you got time check out mga songs ng Nouvelle Vague. :-) and of course yung mga movies ni Adam Sandler, he uses alot of 80s music sa soundtrack ng movies nya. Ang galing nung lumabas si Billy Idol sa Wedding Singer no? :-)

Anyway, a little trivia lang po...did you know that yung song na Love Buzz which Kurt Cobain of Nirvana covered, was written by Robbie Van Leeuwen -- the same guy who wrote Venus ("Goddess of the mountaintop....) na pinasikat ng Bananarama noong 80s? :-)

Wow! My brow thanks very much for Smiles and Jokes!!! Woot woot!

Nga pala, I'm sharing this one: the eternal Morrissey singing my most favorite song of all time -- Moonriver! He diverges from the lyrics and sings: "Two drifters off to see the world...Im not so sure the world deserves us!" Hohoho! What a pompous romantic! :-)

Check it out ;-)

Edited by Hex_Arenas
Wow! My brow thanks very much for Smiles and Jokes!!! Woot woot!

Nga pala, I'm sharing this one: the eternal Morrissey singing my most favorite song of all time -- Moonriver! He diverges from the lyrics and sings: "Two drifters off to see the world...Im not so sure the world deserves us!" Hohoho! What a pompous romantic! :-)

Check it out ;-)

moon river is an old song, i think it was frank sinatra's original... and you know why he sang or covered that?.... because that was one of his favorite songs.... he consider himself as a drifter....

Oh but Im not trapped in the 80s. I just like some of the stuff there, some of the music. A lot of it is really good, pero madami ding junk (even dati I think When In Rome's "The Promise" is junk, as well as as all of Gene Loves Jezebel songs <--- are they even a band???). But that's just me thinking, and I swear on my old Phoebe Cates poster I didnt mean any 80s bashing that might be misinterpreted there OK? So peace out with two hands up! :-)

PERO....pag magaling yung banda, maganda talaga yung output, and yung influence nila hanggang ngayon malakas. Like U2, The Cure, The Smiths...

Most of my memories ng 80s ay boring - can't really go out with my older cousins because I was too young, and yet I was old enough to like and listen to music of my choice, and all i had was the music most of the time, when I would just be in my room and listen sa radio all night, and then again all weekend. Laro scrabble or boggle, or pusoy, millionaires, game and watch, watch betamax, hahaha ambabaw ng trip noon. Wala kasi celphone, walang internet, walang mga bookstores like what we have today. Nakaka-frustrate in a way kasi information was difficult to get back then -- for example yung Synthecide last week ko lang nalaman yung song name and artist (thanks again to you guys).

Of course kasi 'formative years' yung mga memories ng times na yun medyo malalim ang impression. Pero I dont think anyone naman is 'trapped' in the 80s, or in any time siguro. I dont long for the 80s even as I miss some of the things associated with it.

Hmm..napapaisip tuloy ako kung anong cultural contribution ng 80s sa civilization :-) wala akong masyadong maisip sa ngayon hahaha! Hair gel research?

Anyway, as for the music, I grew to appreciate ibang types ng music. Like jazz and swing, punk, hiphop, etc,...Right now (this month) Ive been listening a lot to Pink Martini.

As for keeping the music alive, madaming magagaling na bands sa ngayon ang gumagawa ng mga covers ng 80s songs na magaling ang areglo, if you got time check out mga songs ng Nouvelle Vague. :-) and of course yung mga movies ni Adam Sandler, he uses alot of 80s music sa soundtrack ng movies nya. Ang galing nung lumabas si Billy Idol sa Wedding Singer no? :-)

Anyway, a little trivia lang po...did you know that yung song na Love Buzz which Kurt Cobain of Nirvana covered, was written by Robbie Van Leeuwen -- the same guy who wrote Venus ("Goddess of the mountaintop....) na pinasikat ng Bananarama noong 80s? :-)

boy oh boy oh boy....

you have missed a lot of 80's stuff, which i might say are still much better than today...

i miss my first.... js prom....

where girls dress up in their best gowns, but once the party starts.... they change to a more new wave kind of stuff...

imagine this, girls dress-up in their nighties, wearing combat boots and trench coats and dancing to billy idol's rebel yell...

swinging their hips and booty to BLT....

and also i miss the slam dance..... with sex pistols's rendering my way or maybe perhaps.... rock the casbah by the clash who by the way supported rebel movement in latin america...

hay.... today's punk are far to inferior to 80's punks....

moon river is an old song, i think it was frank sinatra's original... and you know why he sang or covered that?.... because that was one of his favorite songs.... he consider himself as a drifter....

REM also did a cover of Moonriver. It's included in the reissued edition of their Reckoning album, as bonus track. Their version was really uhmm. . .mushy. I thought Michael Stipe's vocal can melt anyone's heart with this.

boy oh boy oh boy....

you have missed a lot of 80's stuff, which i might say are still much better than today...

i miss my first.... js prom....

where girls dress up in their best gowns, but once the party starts.... they change to a more new wave kind of stuff...

imagine this, girls dress-up in their nighties, wearing combat boots and trench coats and dancing to billy idol's rebel yell...

swinging their hips and booty to BLT....

and also i miss the slam dance..... with sex pistols's rendering my way or maybe perhaps.... rock the casbah by the clash who by the way supported rebel movement in latin america...

hay.... today's punk are far to inferior to 80's punks....

Amen to that. :thumbsupsmiley:

Has anyone seen Sex Pistol's video of My Way? Sid Vicious was so funny. Though i'm sure he never intended to be one. :lol:

REM also did a cover of Moonriver. It's included in the reissued edition of their Reckoning album, as bonus track. Their version was really uhmm. . .mushy. I thought Michael Stipe's vocal can melt anyone's heart with this.

i have that thoughts also when i first heard of his moonriver....

Amen to that. :thumbsupsmiley:

Has anyone seen Sex Pistol's video of My Way? Sid Vicious was so funny. Though i'm sure he never intended to be one. :lol:

and he was really funny....

anyone have ever heard morrissey's rendition of the beatle's across the universe?

Added today:

The Cure

Talk Talk

The Comsat Angels

Journey

A-ha

Carrie Lucas

The Colourfield

Billy Squier

Billy Idol

Louie Heredia

Mr. Mister

New Order

Pet Shop Boys

Naked Eyes

Cyndi Lauper

Seawind

Quincy Jones

Murray Head

The Stranglers

Marillion

Swing Out Sister

Clair Marlo

King

Edited by hitman531ph

I removed some songs on the 80s site due to duplication and some others which will be moved to the 90s site. Time is limited for me during weekdays so the songs to be moved to the 90s site will appear this coming weekend.

Most popular songs across both 80s sites:

China Crisis - Wishful thinking

10,000 Maniacs - Like The Weather

China Crisis - Black Man Ray

Dan Fogelberg - Leader of the Band

A Flock of Seagulls - The More You Live The More You Love

Message of Love - Steve Allen

Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky

3 'o clock - On Paper

Fra Lippo Lippi - Angel

Alphaville - Forever Young

Robbie Dupree - Steal Away

Bananarama - Robert De Niro's Waiting

Erasure - A Little Respect

Band Aid - Do They Know Its Christmas

Kids From Fame - Hi Fidelity

Depeche Mode - Everything Counts

Hmmm, this is a 90s band, pero it sounds new wave. I used to listen to their songs alot sa old 99.5 RT, they're a Filipino Canadian band - Moonpools and Caterpillars...id like to share some memories...I had 3 cds and 2 cassette tapes of their Lucky Dumpling album, but they were all borrowed and never returned :-(

Soon

Hear

Ren

from Moonpools and Caterpillars...

Hmmm, this is a 90s band, pero it sounds new wave. I used to listen to their songs alot sa old 99.5 RT, they're a Filipino Canadian band - Moonpools and Caterpillars...id like to share some memories...I had 3 cds and 2 cassette tapes of their Lucky Dumpling album, but they were all borrowed and never returned :-(

Soon

Hear

Ren

from Moonpools and Caterpillars...

good music...

neway, i think i have upload asia?