Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

Sir Boomouse,

I'm planning to build a desktop from the ground up running Mac OS X v10. Heck I've never even assembled a PC. Any suggestions? i wondering who's already done it. 3.06GHz Intel sana (or better). Plus paano ram??? Any specific brands and part number i should look out for??? I'll PM you if needed sir.

Thanks!!!

Normally, once your emails have been downloaded by your client app, they stay there until deleted. But a few more details please:

1. What app are you using? Apple Mail, Entourage, Thunderbird, or anything else?
  2. How did you do the delete of your mail account settings?

hi boom, i'm using Apple Mail. I deleted the mail account by clicking the (-) sign. but i created same account again using same email account but all the messages -- inbox and sent are gone.

hi boom, i'm using Apple Mail. I deleted the mail account by clicking the (-) sign. but i created same account again using same email account but all the messages -- inbox and sent are gone.

When you delete an account in Apple mail, you also delete the emails that were received/sent with that account. You should have backed up your inbox/sent items folder. Otherwise, your only hope is some kind of file recovery program.

For starters if this happened a good bit ago you might not have much chance of restoring the deleted files, as because over time newer files overwrite older files therefor making recovery impossible.

I don't know of any freeware solutions, but there are a few different programs that let you (supposedly, I haven't used any of this software personally) recover deleted files.

There is FileSalvage. It offers a free trial, but it only allows you to see what it can recover, I believe to recover the files that you see with this program you have to register it, which is around $90US.

There is also Data Rescue. This one will also show you exactly what it can recover but it will only allow you, in trial mode, to recover one file that is 500kb or smaller. Cost for this one is also about the same as the prior program.

So these will at least tell you if there is even a chance of recovering the files. And always remember to install these onto a different disk than you are trying to recover, or else the deleted media could be overwritten.

any feed on the high end mac laptops with 512 video card and 4 gig memory ? thanks

Just backread to here:

http://manilatonight.com/index.php?showtop...t&p=6134028

I also just brought in the new Macbook Pro from SG last Sunday but its still in the box. Haven't had time to set it up. I'm going to setup my multimedia streaming at home first with that new Drobo system. I let you guys know soon enough how it is. Don't expect any feedback about games because that is something that we do not have at home. My deal with my family is that I will not buy them expensive computer equipment just to waste time. Someone else will have to contribute FRs on time-wasters.

Sir Boomouse,

I'm planning to build a desktop from the ground up running Mac OS X v10. Heck I've never even assembled a PC. Any suggestions? i wondering who's already done it. 3.06GHz Intel sana (or better). Plus paano ram??? Any specific brands and part number i should look out for??? I'll PM you if needed sir.

Thanks!!!

I appreciate what you want to do. I have done it before. It is very possible to install Leopard on an SSE3 compatible PC. But having said that, I must also tell you that unless you intend for it to be a learning experience, it will not be very gratifying because it is hard to get a perfect install. One or more serivce might not work, updates may work but fail down the road, and you must know the difference between how a PC boot and how a Mac boots. It is not enough that they have more or less the same hardware. You must know the difference between BIOS and EFI for instance if you are to troubleshoot why your install in not going through.

The web is full of sites where claim of a 3 step or even one step install process are made. I still have to see a perfect install as in something that works as if it is running on an Apple computer.

You can try this:

http://dailyapps.net/2007/10/hack-attack-i...n-3-easy-steps/

http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...acking-required

http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack...-800-321913.php

Good luck trying build that Hackintosh. Let us know how you make out.

Edited by boomouse
Guest lustfortravel

boom,

my laptop monitor has gone from being gray on the lower half of the screen ( if i don't position it correctly) to changing the desktop size all by itself. i already had it brought to the service center for them to see the problem and get the parts i need under my extended warranty ( of which i have you to thank!).

does this mean my monitor is about to die down on me pretty soon? wala pang parts kasi, i hope it won't be THAT soon.

boom,

my laptop monitor has gone from being gray on the lower half of the screen ( if i don't position it correctly) to changing the desktop size all by itself. i already had it brought to the service center for them to see the problem and get the parts i need under my extended warranty ( of which i have you to thank!).

does this mean my monitor is about to die down on me pretty soon? wala pang parts kasi, i hope it won't be THAT soon.

Remember you were having some monitor flashes a while back? Sad to say, its going. I hope they already have ordered the parts. But if that dies, you can have first dibs on my one year old MBP as soon as I find the time to transfer to my new MBP.

Guest lustfortravel
Remember you were having some monitor flashes a while back? Sad to say, its going. I hope they already have ordered the parts. But if that dies, you can have first dibs on my one year old MBP as soon as I find the time to transfer to my new MBP.

yey, thanks boom! but i do hope it doesn't die down on me yet- i haven't transferred my photos to an external hard disk yet, including the semi-nude photos i took recently. :rolleyes: you can store her photos in your new MBP if you want :lol:

i better check with the service center how soon they can have it replaced. thanks, boom!

yey, thanks boom! but i do hope it doesn't die down on me yet- i haven't transferred my photos to an external hard disk yet, including the semi-nude photos i took recently. :rolleyes: you can store her photos in your new MBP if you want :lol:

i better check with the service center how soon they can have it replaced. thanks, boom!

Well, better be clear if you want the MBP or not para papa-check up ko at papalinis sa Apple muna. You took semi-nudes photos? Of whom? Ah don't reply here. PM mo na lang.

By the way, nag-back out ako doon sa pagbili ng Leica M8. Nakaka konsensya ang presyo. Talagang luho na lang pag pinatulan ko. A wrong thing to do for these times I think. Talagang down na down yun mga UITF natin eh. But I'll be back in Sg one more time before Christmas. I think I will just get a good film scanner and go back to shooting film.

My old MBP already has 4GB by the way and 320 GB HD if you want, I can also put in an early model 128GB SSD from MTRON. Saka na pagusapan price. Pwede naman yun PWA. ayaw patulan ng mga anak ko eh.

guys, we're looking for a macbook or possibly ibook or powerbook... ive tried going through philmug and am going to check out some of their offers. anyway, if you guys are selling, send me a PM, thanks

so, my girl in in the market for a second hand mac... budget 50K... what would you guys suggest?

mr. B, My G5 Keyboard's spacebar does not respond.... where can i have it fixed? apple says buy a new one ..2K

Keyboards are hard to fix. But for about P100 you can get a good surplus USB keyboard at HMR. Keyboards made for IBMs, and Compaq desktops are good. Sometimes you can stumble on a Sun Microsystems keyboard that is nice too. Just remember, the key that brings up the Windows Start menu at the lower left beside the control key is used as the 'apple' key.

guys, we're looking for a macbook or possibly ibook or powerbook... ive tried going through philmug and am going to check out some of their offers. anyway, if you guys are selling, send me a PM, thanks

so, my girl in in the market for a second hand mac... budget 50K... what would you guys suggest?

A brand new white macbook is about that price. If you will go for 2nd hand make sure the price is really low if it is not covered by Applecare or warranty. While Macs are generally sturdy and rarely break down, once they do, parts can get really pricey. Like buying a new netbook pricey. I would not advice 2nd hand because it will be very hard to tell how well the computer was cared for.

Edited by boomouse

I'm thinking of finally upgrading to a MBP, but not the new unibody one (budget won't stretch that far). Talked to a friend of a friend willing to sell his MBP for a really good price. The only problem is, I'm hesitant to get it because I've read on forums that the nVidia 8600 on the MBP is faulty. How true is this? Is it really something to worry about? The applecare for the MBP I intend to buy ends early next year.

I'm thinking of finally upgrading to a MBP, but not the new unibody one (budget won't stretch that far). Talked to a friend of a friend willing to sell his MBP for a really good price. The only problem is, I'm hesitant to get it because I've read on forums that the nVidia 8600 on the MBP is faulty. How true is this? Is it really something to worry about? The applecare for the MBP I intend to buy ends early next year.

If it is still under Applecare, buy with confidence.

Check the warranty/status of the computer here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

If it checks out that it is under Applecare, be sure you are able to keep up the Applecare coverage and you should be good to go. So as a rule, whatever the price you get, already factor in the P15k needed to renew Applecare in 8 motnhs. If you can be financially responsible, set up a personal sinking fund for that and put in P1,875.00 in the bank each month. When you see that you have P15k saved, that means that it is time to renew your Applecare. Do not let it lapse because when it does, you can never get it back.

Remember, as with any computer, major component failure increases in probability with age. You want to make sure that you can replace a logic board or LCD when that happens. On a Mac, a single LCD-related component failure entails replacement of the entire LCD including the cover.

Edited by boomouse
Guest lustfortravel
Remember, as with any computer, major component failure increases in probability with age. You want to make sure that you can replace a logic board or LCD when that happens. On a Mac, a single LCD-related component failure entails replacement of the entire LCD including the cover.

don't i know it. at the moment, my macbook is with the service center for replacement of the entire LCD ( the part arrived finally!) and thanks to boom's advice, i extended my applecare warranty earlier this year so it's still covered. i don't have to pay a single cent. ^_^ thanks boom!

don't i know it. at the moment, my macbook is with the service center for replacement of the entire LCD ( the part arrived finally!) and thanks to boom's advice, i extended my applecare warranty earlier this year so it's still covered. i don't have to pay a single cent. ^_^ thanks boom!

Glad to be of service. You're welcome.

Edited by boomouse

Hello Sir Boom,

I am planning to switch to a Mac real soon in a week or two. It will be the first time I will make the switch. This being the case, I would need help in transferring my old "windows" based data to the new mac i will be using.

I know MS office files can be easily opened by mac or any other platforms for that matter. However, before I even purchase a mac, I would like to ask help on the process of transferring my MS Outlook data to the Mac software counterpart. This should cover the whole range of data from old/existing email, contacts, to do list, etc as well as setting whatever mail program mac uses to download all my incoming mail.

Please do advise. If im not sure as to how to transfer the data, it might influence my decision to buy a mac.

Also, you mentioned that you might be selling your year old MBP? How much?

TIA

Guest lustfortravel

boom,

the good news is that i got my laptop back with the newly installed lcd screen.

the bad news is that everything looks pale and too bright. the colors are too washed out and it disappoints me. does this mean i need to have my monitor calibrated again for the correct colors before i can do any editing on my photos? unfortunately, the spyder2 is still out of stock so i don't have any colorimeter to use at the moment. :cry:

Hello Sir Boom,

I am planning to switch to a Mac real soon in a week or two. It will be the first time I will make the switch. This being the case, I would need help in transferring my old "windows" based data to the new mac i will be using.

I know MS office files can be easily opened by mac or any other platforms for that matter. However, before I even purchase a mac, I would like to ask help on the process of transferring my MS Outlook data to the Mac software counterpart. This should cover the whole range of data from old/existing email, contacts, to do list, etc as well as setting whatever mail program mac uses to download all my incoming mail.

Please do advise. If im not sure as to how to transfer the data, it might influence my decision to buy a mac.

Also, you mentioned that you might be selling your year old MBP? How much?

TIA

When migrating from Outlook to Entourage remember that while the two may look and work alike (…looks like a duck, quacks like a duck… doesn't apply here) they use very different files in typical Microsoft fashion.

The archive files you save in Outlook at called "pst" files because of their extension. The files needed to import into Entourage are called "mbox". And there is no easy to convert one from the other with the use of an intermediate mail client on the Mac which is Mozilla's Thunderbird. Here's the link for the info:

http://www.riches.com.au/articles/export-o...k-entourage.htm

boom,

the good news is that i got my laptop back with the newly installed lcd screen.

the bad news is that everything looks pale and too bright. the colors are too washed out and it disappoints me. does this mean i need to have my monitor calibrated again for the correct colors before i can do any editing on my photos? unfortunately, the spyder2 is still out of stock so i don't have any colorimeter to use at the moment. :cry:

You can calibrate your screen. Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES. Choose LCD DISPLAY. Choose the COLOR pane. Click on CALIBRATE. Make sure you are in a darkened room with no light shining from behind you. But this only works if you trust your eyes. Guess why I like to shoot in black and white?

Apple just announced the opening of the Philippine edition of the Apple Online Store.

http://store.apple.com/ph?cid=AOS-PH-134495-C0008431

But after trying to buy something, I got this:

post-188-1226388562.jpg

I guess they still have teething problems.

Wait muna tayo…

====================

On another note, a satirical comparison between Snow Leopard aka OS X 10.6 and Windows 7--which still befuddles me as to how at least 12 perhaps 16 iterations of Windows got knocked down to seven by Microsoft. Perhaps they were not counting the ones they considered false starts?

The comparo from The Onion is here:

http://www.theonion.com/content/infograph/...pard_vs_windows

And this is the dispositive portion:

post-188-1226389180.jpg

Edited by boomouse

Hello Sir boom,

thanks for answering my pervious question. Although I have not really gone through doing it yet.

I maintain a "briefcase" in my notebook pc which i normally sync with a folder in an office desktop which acts as a file depository. In this case, the Mac I will be purchasing will eventually be the only Mac used in the office so far. It will be a Mac in a windows network. I have read that connecting to a windows network would not be a problem. However, is there a counter part of "briefcase" for Mac where in I could sync my files (Sync with my windows files in a windows network)? So that I would not have to copy all my files all the time to the office file depository? It would also be difficult to keep track of each individual file I used or made.

Please do advice what is the best way to do this.

thank you in advance

Hello Sir boom,

thanks for answering my pervious question. Although I have not really gone through doing it yet.

I maintain a "briefcase" in my notebook pc which i normally sync with a folder in an office desktop which acts as a file depository. In this case, the Mac I will be purchasing will eventually be the only Mac used in the office so far. It will be a Mac in a windows network. I have read that connecting to a windows network would not be a problem. However, is there a counter part of "briefcase" for Mac where in I could sync my files (Sync with my windows files in a windows network)? So that I would not have to copy all my files all the time to the office file depository? It would also be difficult to keep track of each individual file I used or made.

Please do advice what is the best way to do this.

thank you in advance

OS X has a migration assistant.

After you have transferred your files, a quick Google will show you any of several file sync scripts that you can use between OS X and Windows volumes.

Guest lustfortravel
You can calibrate your screen. Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES. Choose LCD DISPLAY. Choose the COLOR pane. Click on CALIBRATE. Make sure you are in a darkened room with no light shining from behind you. But this only works if you trust your eyes. Guess why I like to shoot in black and white?

i tried this, boom, and my gray screen turned out more blue than gray. i don't think i trust my eyes, either. :lol: i'll have to wait for the spyder 2 express to be available then before i resume editing.