Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

I would like to try Mac but the price is holding me off. I can buy 2 PCs of the same specs or even higher compared to a mac.

Just go ahead and do that then. Most Mac purchase decisions go beyond the issue of money.

OS update: As announced by Jim Dalrymple at: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10393814...ag=2547-1_3-0-5

(1) Apple Updates Snow Leopard

Apple on Monday released an update for Mac OS X Snow Leopard, bringing the current version to 10.6.2.

An important issue that caused data to be deleted when using a guest account has been fixed, according to Apple. While the bug didn't affect all users, it was widespread enough to cause concerns for users over the past couple of weeks.

In addition to fixing a number of security issues, Mac OS X 10.6.2 also addresses 14 problems found in the operating system, including an issue that caused some users to be logged out of their systems unexpectedly.

If you use Exchange contacts, you'll be pleased to know that your Spotlight searches will now show those contacts in the results. Setting up an Exchange server shouldn't cause Apple's Mail app to crash with the new version.

The update also includes what Apple calls "general stability improvements" for iWork, iLife, Aperture, Final Cut Studio, MobileMe, and iDisk.

Apple also updated Mac OS X Leopard Server to version 10.6.2, addressing issues with the company's server product.

The server update fixed problems with adding and removing imported users in Server Preferences, syncing content using a Portable Home Directory, and filtering incoming mail messages.

Other issues fixed with the server version include creating images using Apple's System Image Utility and automating the installation of NetRestore images.

Mac OS X 10.6.2 client and server are available as free updates from Apple's Web site. (or from the Software update utility under the Apple menu-BM)

(2) Apple plugs holes for domain spoofing, other attacks

by ELINOR MILLS, <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10393728-245.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5>

Elinor Mills covers Internet security and privacy. She joined CNET News in 2005 after working as a foreign correspondent for Reuters in Portugal and writing for The Industry Standard, the IDG News Service, and the Associated Press.

Apple on Monday released a large security update for Mac OS X that fixes dozens of vulnerabilities and provides protection against potential attacks exploiting a weakness in the protocol used to verify that a domain is legitimate.

There are 43 specific issues addressed in the 2009-006 update, released the same day as Mac OS X v.10.6.2.

It plugs a variety of holes for the Mac OS X v10.5.8, 10.6, 10.6.1, and Mac OS X Server v10.6 and 10.6.1, many of which could lead to arbitrary code execution and allow an attacker to take control of a computer.

Several updates affect Apache and QuickTime. Others target AFP Client, Apple Type Services, Core Graphics, CoreMedia, Dictionary, Disk Images, Dovecot, Directory Service, fetch mail, FTP Server, Help Viewer, Kernel, PHP, QuickDraw Manager and Spotlight.

One update fixes a hole in Adaptive Firewall that could allow a brute force or dictionary attack to guess an SSH log-in password, and another update addresses a vulnerability in Login Window that could allow a user to log in to any account without supplying a password.

Several updates address holes that could allow domain spoofing or man-in-the-middle attacks involving SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) used for encrypting data in transit, including a significant weakness in the X.509 protocol for generating SSL connections.

One of the updates affects the libsecurity feature and is billed as a "proactive change to protect users in advance of improved attacks against the MD2 hash algorithm" that could expose users to spoofing and information disclosure.

"There are known cryptographic weaknesses in the MD2 hash algorithm. Further research could allow the creation of X.509 certificates with attacker controlled values that are trusted by the system," the update says. "This could expose X.509 based protocols to spoofing, man in the middle attacks, and information disclosure. While it is not yet considered computationally feasible to mount an attack using these weaknesses, this update disables support for an X.509 certificate with an MD2 hash for any use other than as trusted root certificate."

That major weakness was revealed by security researcher Dan Kaminsky at the Defcon hacker conference in July. Kaminsky was able to trick a Certificate Authority into providing a certificate verifying authenticity for a domain that belonged to someone else.

The updates can be downloaded from Apple's site.

Edited by boomouse
sa wakas may updates na.. ^_^

goodbye to intel atom support...

Internet forums and blogs began confirming rumors that the Atom chips in their netbooks wouldn't run Mac OS X 10.6.2 shortly after the update was released. One commenter on the the MyDellMini forum commented "So, I can tell you 10.6.2 DOES NOT WORK with the Mini10v. OSX tries to start, but it hangs before you can see the apple and system is trying to boot again... you are in a loop."

"Everytime a netbook user installs 10.6.2 an Apple employee gets their wings."

I think it will be a matter of time before the hackers get back on again. But given the changes Apple made, it can be a bit longer than usual this time. As a palliative, people have been reporting success re-enabling the Atom support by copying the 10.6.1 mach kernel over and replacing the 10.6.2 kernel.

The real hacker war doesn't get started for another six to nine months. By that time, the majority of Mac applications will be recompiled to run in 64 bit code. As soon as enough apps have been converted, then Apple will boot into the 64 bit kernel by default. A whole series of security improvements will kick in, some of this can be used against hackers.

The Snow leopard DVD changed its installation procedures this time. The DVD now loads the OS in a virtual space on the disk drive. What this does is allow Apple to start testing your authority and privileges to install the OS on a computer. If the Mac is stolen, the computer will be locked down and you will not be allowed to over write the OS. If the computer is not Apple equipment, you will be directed to an Apple store. If you are loading software on a company owned computer, then you will be asked to prove that you have authorization and permission. System installation is a gaping security hole which Apple will eventually address. It looks like businesses will love this new security. Enormous amounts of privileged data is put at risk when a laptop is lost or stolen. And a Mac is a very attractive item to steal. Most of the time, the computer is just wiped clean and sold on the black market. If Apple can nail this down without disturbing its legitimate users, then this may add to Apple's attractiveness to Small to medium sized Businesses.

okay ba bumili ng second hand na powerbook?

Hindi na.

Judge rules for Apple in Psystar case

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10397876...ag=2547-1_3-0-5

November 14, 2009 3:36 PM PST

by Natalie Weinstein

A judge has ruled in Apple's favor in its copyright-infringement case against Psystar, which has been selling Mac clones running Mac OS X.

U.S. District Court Judge William Alsup on Friday granted Apple's request for a summary judgment, while denying Psystar's counterclaim.

"In sum, Psystar has violated Apple's exclusive reproduction right, distribution right, and right to create derivative works," Alsup wrote in the ruling (PDF), which was posted by legal site Groklaw.net.

Apple filed its suit in July 2008, a few months after Psystar began selling Mac clones. The case revolved around Psystar's contention that it could run Apple's Mac OS X operating system on non-Apple machines. Apple denied this, stating that its Mac OS X end user license agreement allows people to install the OS on Apple computers only.

Both Apple and Psystar had a requested a summary judgment, which is a determination made without trial based on the merits of a case.

Neither Apple nor Psystar could immediately be reached for comment.

One of Psystar's contentions was fair use. The judge rejected this, stating the company "does not even attempt to address the four factors used to determine fair use." Another of Psystar's claims was "first sale" doctrine, which allows someone who buys copyrighted material to sell it. But Alsup said this doctrine applies only to legal copies, not to the "unauthorized copies" that Psystar produced.

The judge also ruled in favor of Apple's claim that Psystar violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. "Psystar has violated the DMCA by circumventing Apple's protection barrier and trafficking devices designed for circumvention," Alsup said.

In addition, the judge rejected Psystar's claims that Apple had misused its copyright and that Apple's licensing agreement was unduly restrictive.

Alsup's ruling did not include a permanent injunction against Miami-based Psystar because, he said, Apple has not requested one yet.

There are other claims Apple has made that could still go to trial, including breach of contract, trademark infringement, and trademark dilution. A hearing to determine remedies is set for December 14. The trial has been scheduled to begin in January.

--------------------

Too bad for the secret investors of Psystar (like DELL?) who might have profited immensely had it gone the ther way. - BM

Edited by boomouse

^_^ wow lalim ah... pwede mo naman sabihin vision or understanding...

look around its all over the IT websites... ^_^

and by the way this is based on a legit study/survey.....

BMW? Mercedez Benz? and KIA? duh..... a really BAD comparison....

===

still waiting for the latest imac delivery... pictures will be posted soon... ^_^

ayoko lang isaksak sa isipan ng ibang MAC user na tulad ko na MATIBAY at hindi nasisira ang mac... or sabihin na pinaka maganda ang gawa ng apple interms of quality....

the facts is apple is not BMW or Mercedes as other claim...

dapat nga number 1 sila diba? considering na mas mahal sila...

One of the most... I dunno. Weird mac stories so far.

http://consumerist.com/5408885/smoking-nea...-voids-warranty

Lesson: Smoking is bad for your health, as well as your applecare protection plan.

Next they'll say your Mac can't be repaired because it's been contaminated by carbon emissions from passing cars...

Ever since data centers were around CIOs have always banned smoking inside the computer rooms. Tar and nicotine droplets wafting into circuit boards can be corrosive especially when they react with humid air. Even in todays NOCs smoking is banned.

But having said that, smoking infront of a computer should be considered a 'normal' use for a consumer machine. Besides, how is Apple to know? They've also put in tar and nicotine indicators inside the computer? Like their immersion indicators?

Oh well, doesn't bother me since I don't smoke. Neither do I allow anyone to in my airspace.

Sarap testingin nitong rule na ito…

Ever since data centers were around CIOs have always banned smoking inside the computer rooms. Tar and nicotine droplets wafting into circuit boards can be corrosive especially when they react with humid air. Even in todays NOCs smoking is banned.

But having said that, smoking infront of a computer should be considered a 'normal' use for a consumer machine. Besides, how is Apple to know? They've also put in tar and nicotine indicators inside the computer? Like their immersion indicators?

Oh well, doesn't bother me since I don't smoke. Neither do I allow anyone to in my airspace.

Sarap testingin nitong rule na ito…

I don't think you need indicators for that. I think it's a simple thing like they found tar gunk inside the components. While I also hate smoking nor do I want any cig smoke getting near me (or my computers), it's an unfortunate reality that at one time or another, you or your computer will get exposed to second hand smoke (especially when you have a mobile computer).

Besides, there is no "rule" per se about applecare being voided by exposure to second hand smoke. It's just not in the little policy booklet that they include in their uber expensive extended warranty package.

I think Apple is starting to not care about their consumers... I hope I'm wrong, though.

gurus,

will the snow leopard slow down an mbp 1, compared to leopard?

tnx!

Based on my actual experience with a Mac Mini with 2 GB RAM, and C2D CPU, you will in fact notice a speed increase. VisualHUB encode of a feature-length VOB to MP4, H.264 went from 76 minutes to 62 minutes under Snow Leopard. Depending on what you use it for, your experience may vary but a slowdown should not be in the cards.

Based on my actual experience with a Mac Mini with 2 GB RAM, and C2D CPU, you will in fact notice a speed increase. VisualHUB encode of a feature-length VOB to MP4, H.264 went from 76 minutes to 62 minutes under Snow Leopard. Depending on what you use it for, your experience may vary but a slowdown should not be in the cards.

COOL! :thumbsupsmiley: