Digital Cameras

questions mga sir ok po ba yung GE X5 Digital camera, 14.1 Megapexel, 15x optical zoom, ISO3200

hello,

last nov end, just got a ge x5 and a ge a1250, cause our old olympus semi pro model digicam is busted, i 1st bought the 1250 cause its a compact and its great for the price, but i need more zoom and a semi pro cam for outdoor so i did get a ge x5, its also great, nice value for money, and the price is just right, cant go wrong with both models, the only weakness i saw with ge x5 is its light gathering capabilities compared to my olympus, kinda weak at long range and dark place,

but if the lighting is fairly good and zoom is at (12x maybe) you can still get nice shots, just dont go at 15x and the target area is dark,even at night/scenery mode, i feel that the shots is still little bit, dark :rolleyes:

tnx

Edited by airgunmarrio

hello,

last nov end, just got a ge x5 and a ge a1250, cause our old olympus semi pro model digicam is busted, i 1st bought the 1250 cause its a compact and its great for the price, but i need more zoom and a semi pro cam for outdoor so i did get a ge x5, its also great, nice value for money, and the price is just right, cant go wrong with both models, the only weakness i saw with ge x5 is its light gathering capabilities compared to my olympus, kinda weak at long range and dark place,

but if the lighting is fairly good and zoom is at (12x maybe) you can still get nice shots, just dont go at 15x and the target area is dark,even at night/scenery mode, i feel that the shots is still little bit, dark :rolleyes:

tnx

thanks for the review airgunmarrio

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi! guys, since this is a digicam thread. I think if this is the proper place to ask my queries.

My sis has a canon IXUS 9501, and well, due to my stupidity it fell in the water. River water to be exact. at first we try to turn it on. But it went like it starts to turn off. We decided to remove the batteries and SD card and left it. Then when we got home, we put it in a dry place with silicas around. Well, after a week, it functioned properly again. But the our concern was is that there is some streaks in the LCD in the side. Although it doesn't really affect the image projection, we are worried since it will get longer and would destroy the LCD.

I would like to hear from you guys how to deal with this. Im really scared since we cannot afford to buy another one. And yes, it is my fault. BUT I want to hope there is still a chance.

TIA guys.

You cannot fix LCDs. You can only replace them. Use it until it breaks or until you can't stand the sight of it and then pony up the money to order a replacement LCD.

Off topic, but.............

when my father died in 1997, I found his Voigtlander Vito II 35mm film camera: I remember borrowing it for a holiday in the 1960s, and I still think it's the best camera I've ever used. Yes, digital has many many advantages (for a start not having to worry about what the staff in the photo-processing shop might be thinking, hahaha), but you can't really beat a good film camera. One of these days, I'll finish scanning my transparancies taken with it and post them onto my flickr a/c

The Voightlander is known as the poor man's Leica. In fact, the camera uses lenses fitted with Leica's L or LM mounts. Even with autofocus and automatic electronic everything in modern DSLR lenses, it still boils down to the quality of the glass. The rinky dink DSLR kit zoom lenses produce pictures that look like a lomo camera in comparison to an old Cosina lens from Voightlander. The lenses are still sold today and are enjoying a rennaissance. A 15mm Voightlander will give you almost zero barrel distortion. Try that with a kit lens at full wide.

I use a Voightlander Nokton lens on my M8.2 (35mm f1.1) and 90 per cent of the time that is all I use to shoot. Only a real dyed-in-the-wool Leica afficionado cold tell the difference between that and the Leica Noctilux (35mm f1.0).

I recommend that you take on your dad's old camera. It will teach you photography more than you can ever learn with the trial and error bad habits you pick-up with digital cameras.

what's the best point and shoot digital camera that have somewhat dslr capabilities? i'm hearing panasonic lumix is good but i don't know which model. and i heard canon's s90 or s95 is good as well.

what i'm after is a camera that can shoot nice pictures at night, indoors (e.g. concerts) and outdoors (e.g. city/buildings, fireworks). also, a camera that can record an hd video.

i hope someone can help. thanks in advance!

wow, thanks for that. i didn't consider the nikon models. may i ask what is f1.8? normally for night shots you still need a tripod. should this also be the case for this nikon camera?

Before I answer your question about what "f1.8" is let me get into a quick lesson in how a camera forms an image. It does not matter if you have a film camera or digital camera. The same principles apply.

Think of taking the perfectly exposed picture like you are trying to fill a bucket of water. Just like a perfectly full bucket, a perfectly exposed picture must be filled up with the right amount of light. Too little light and you get a dark picture, and too much gets you a washed out picture.

When dealing with water, there are two things to bear in mind when filling a bucket. First is the size of the water pipe you use and second is the duration you keep the faucet open. A big pipe lets more water through in any given amount of time. So, you will need to keep a faucet open longer with a small pipe and shorter with big pipe.

The same holds true for pictures but you are dealing with light instead of water. Light enters your camera through your lens which can be quite big but it has a mechanism at the end of it that you can use to control the size of the opening for light to go through. That is what you call the aperture and this is expressed in f-numbers. These are not random numbers mind you, but the result of careful computations so that a perfectly measurable amount of light is let through at each f-setting. The smallest f-setting is f22 in some lenses and f16 in others. f22 is just slightly larger than a pinhole. But that is not important. What is important to know is that every time you change f-settings to the next lower number you double the amount of light that goes through the lens to your film or image sensor. And when you set it to the next higher number you cut the amount of light in half.

There is another mechanism working with your aperture and that is the shutter. The shutter is like your water faucet. I determines how long a lens stays open to let light through at any f-setting. This is why shutter performance is expressed in seconds and also keeps on doubling or halving as you change setting downwards or upwards. Some cameras are capable of shutter speeds as fast as 1/4000 of a second, most will definitely do the next lower setting, 1/2000.

In a point-and-shoot camera where everything is decided for you by the camera, all of these will happen without intervention. That is why an indicator of the low light performance of a camera is its largest f-number. f1.8 is a common specification of premium point-and-shoots. The lower the f-number, the lesser the need to use a tripod to avoid camera shake. But for challenging low light scenes like a street scene lit only by street lamps, no amount of f-setting will eliminate the need for a tripod. Oh you can use a f0.95 Noctilux lens from Leica but at $10,000 that is twice the cost of the camera it goes into.

Edited by boomouse
  • Like (+1) 1

^wow, thanks for the response. i didn't consider nikon models. if i may ask, what does f1.8 means? normally night shots should have a tripod to make the pictures clear. is that the same for this model too?

f1.8 refers to the widest opening a camera lens can do to allow more light to come into the camera sensor at the shortest possible time. together with high ISO setting you can take decent night shot w/o the aid of tripod

now comparing canon s95 & nikon P300, nikon have better specifications & cheaper, so its a big mistake not to consider nikon

another practical model you can check is fujifilm F500XCR

Edited by dos8dos

Sony - Cyber-shot 16.2-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

Model: Cyber-shot H70 Black

Great Digital camera, with superb video/ image quality, shoots fast . I'm a canon user but this one is an amazing camera.

This is 10x optical zoom compared to WX9 - 5X Optical zoom with HDMI Video output.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

masters,

im planning to buy an entry level digital camera that is waterproof. im inclined to buy a pentax optio ws80. though this is a 2009 model, dbgadgets sells it at php5,900. pwede na rin kasi i still have my old but reliable sony t30. any fr on this model?

• 3 weeks later...