Linux Anybody?

Guest Leviticus

^^masupdated ka na sa linux compared sa akin :P ako I'm relearning all over again.

question for the linux guys.. recently I would like to transfer all the window$ units to linux.. I have suse 9.5 for the p3 units and ubuntu for the p4.

this week until the week after I'm doing testing. however, I can't work around those blasted aspx websites. ayun.. balik testing ako in windows. I know aspx can be accessed via google chrome but that browser is still to come out with a linux port. the problem with aspx sites is that they don't come out properly, but I can access them.

any help? I would like to transfer to linux as soon as :rolleyes:

then try this again:

this assigns the ip address: ip addr add 10.161.1.120/16 brd + dev eth0 (replace with your IP address)

and the default gateway: ip route add default via 10.161.1.254 dev eth0 (replace with your gateway)

just to make sure things are in order: ip adrr list (sample output below)

1: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000

link/ether 00:11:95:c0:c9:9d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 10.161.1.120/16 brd 10.161.255.255 scope global eth0

check these files as well:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0

lupit mo talaga master. :thumbsupsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...

@cruesome

Any documentations on creating a kickstart server with out the floppy boot. I have a kickstart server on a rh 9 box but I have to use a floppy on the target server. It works for some DELL Pizza Boxes and HP DL Series, but I will be deploying it on an IBM Blade environment. Is there a way I can push the info into a ram drive from the server and let the Blade boot via PXE and proceed with the installation?

lupit mo talaga master. :thumbsupsmiley:

kinakalawang na din :)

@cruesome

Any documentations on creating a kickstart server with out the floppy boot. I have a kickstart server on a rh 9 box but I have to use a floppy on the target server. It works for some DELL Pizza Boxes and HP DL Series, but I will be deploying it on an IBM Blade environment. Is there a way I can push the info into a ram drive from the server and let the Blade boot via PXE and proceed with the installation?

i think you wanted a diskless solution. take a look at the The Linux Terminal Server Project.

edit: ram drives, initram... you might also wanted to read the Linux From Scratch solution. i find it very educational and entertaining ;)

Edited by cruesome

Salamat uli sa insight bro cruesome.

Game plan is to setup PXE server in a particular VLAN. Then I'll just move the servers that needs deployment to that particular VLAN and set all of them to PXE boot. Once booted I can do the kickstart from there. The terminal server idea did it. Now all I have to do is create a script for multiple simultaneous installations.

Salamat uli sa insight bro cruesome.

Game plan is to setup PXE server in a particular VLAN. Then I'll just move the servers that needs deployment to that particular VLAN and set all of them to PXE boot. Once booted I can do the kickstart from there. The terminal server idea did it. Now all I have to do is create a script for multiple simultaneous installations.

glad to be of help :)

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leviticus
how about using crossover and installing (and using) ie6 or ie7 through crossover on your linux boxes? ganun gamit ko sa ubuntu. meron lang slight problems sa ibang sites pero it might be worth looking into since you're still on the testing phase.

I got the internet explorer working on wine; using ie4linux. iba lang ang fonts but at last nabubuksan na ng maayos ang forms ng .aspx sites. this was on an asus P4gemx motherboard. I installed opensuse 11.0 on it and is now letting an office staff dry run her work on it.

however, I also have 2 ecs [i'll post the model number later] without onboard lan. kailangan ko pa saksakan ng lan card. I installed opensuse and was successful, however, no network connection. I can't detect the lan card. I'll try the procedure above in a little while but just in case, help! :)

oh yeah, at first I thought there was something wrong with the lan card because the led lights were not blinking. I changed the it to another card and the indicator lights are now blinking, but still no network connection.

the network card I installed is a realtek 8139 series.

:( I don't want to revert back to windows. please help.

I got the internet explorer working on wine; using ie4linux. iba lang ang fonts but at last nabubuksan na ng maayos ang forms ng .aspx sites. this was on an asus P4gemx motherboard. I installed opensuse 11.0 on it and is now letting an office staff dry run her work on it.

however, I also have 2 ecs [i'll post the model number later] without onboard lan. kailangan ko pa saksakan ng lan card. I installed opensuse and was successful, however, no network connection. I can't detect the lan card. I'll try the procedure above in a little while but just in case, help! :)

oh yeah, at first I thought there was something wrong with the lan card because the led lights were not blinking. I changed the it to another card and the indicator lights are now blinking, but still no network connection.

the network card I installed is a realtek 8139 series.

:( I don't want to revert back to windows. please help.

Bro, you may configure the networksettings thru YaST. HTH. CHEERS!!!

Guest Leviticus
Bro, you may configure the networksettings thru YaST. HTH. CHEERS!!!

update ko lang.. yung pci slot mismo pala ang may topak. toink! :wacko: also, napansin ko lang.. laos ang ECS pagdating sa linux. nubayan.. nagkataon lang na bigay ang 2 units na ECS or else hindi ako bibili ng ECS brand :grr:

next on my to do list.. php programming. could anyone recommend a good book on php? thanks in advance.

update ko lang.. yung pci slot mismo pala ang may topak. toink! :wacko: also, napansin ko lang.. laos ang ECS pagdating sa linux. nubayan.. nagkataon lang na bigay ang 2 units na ECS or else hindi ako bibili ng ECS brand :grr:

next on my to do list.. php programming. could anyone recommend a good book on php? thanks in advance.

this is the reason why i wont buy assembled pc. madugo ang installation ng linux. before way back sa pinas ako it just happen na mura ang board. halos free yan pag bumili ka ng processor.

Guest Leviticus

hehe.. timing ang paglilipat ko to linux dun sa hysteria over windows IE.

hehe.. yung dalawang naghihigpit na bading na nagmamatigas sa windows ay tinamaan ng virus. it may be related to the band patching or it may not be related, basta tinamaan ng virus. maybe gumagamit sila ng outside proxy or what but I'd have to look at the internet security again.

I'm currently reformatting their units :rolleyes:

funny thing.. when I checked the browsing history of the first test unit nakalagay sa history ang youtube, veoh, etc. along with that ay nakalagay rin ang address ng adobe flash.

looks like an attempt was made to install flash player in the linux unit. goodluck! :D :lol: pati YM and skype nasa trash bin ang installers [i suspect that is the work of the fags]. as long as I have the root password there would not be any unauthorized installation of software. mga wais ang mga tarantado.. they tried to install the programs easily installed in windows from a USB thumbdrive.

those who can't adjust to using linux.. magnew year sila na unemployed. the lamest excuse that I've ever heard was that they need training to use linux desktop, that they don't know how to use gnome. sheesh! here's the mouse, here's the mouse pointer, there's the web browser and here's openoffice. what more do you need to know? it's so f@cking user-friendly already.

ang totoo, hindi sila maka circumvent sa firewall using linux. hindi rin sila makainstall ng flash, YM, gtalk, msh messenger, skype, chikka, nokia phones, wala nang video/media player, etc that can easily be installed in a windows box.

hehe.. yung dalawang naghihigpit na bading na nagmamatigas sa windows ay tinamaan ng virus. it may be related to the band patching or it may not be related, basta tinamaan ng virus. maybe gumagamit sila ng outside proxy or what but I'd have to look at the internet security again.

funny thing.. when I checked the browsing history of the first test unit nakalagay sa history ang youtube, veoh, etc. along with that ay nakalagay rin ang address ng adobe flash.

looks like an attempt was made to install flash player in the linux unit. goodluck! :D :lol: pati YM and skype nasa trash bin ang installers [i suspect that is the work of the fags]. as long as I have the root password there would not be any unauthorized installation of software. mga wais ang mga tarantado.. they tried to install the programs easily installed in windows from a USB thumbdrive.

those who can't adjust to using linux.. magnew year sila na unemployed. the lamest excuse that I've ever heard was that they need training to use linux desktop, that they don't know how to use gnome. sheesh! here's the mouse, here's the mouse pointer, there's the web browser and here's openoffice. what more do you need to know? it's so f@cking user-friendly already.

ang totoo, hindi sila maka circumvent sa firewall using linux. hindi rin sila makainstall ng flash, YM, gtalk, msh messenger, skype, chikka, nokia phones, wala nang video/media player, etc that can easily be installed in a windows box.

linux is a blessing to system administrators then

This one's really funny! Masyadong pampered kasi yung mga laging gumagamit ng Windows (no offense, please). Sarap sa ganyang posisyon! Kung ako yung nandyan, hindi rin sila makakaligtas sa mga palusot nila! Hahahahaha :D

create an in house proxy server (squid) to monitor the sites they go to. And create a script that diggs the sites for keywords and automatically add to block list hehehe

linux permissions can be a bitch to mere mortals hehehe

btw anong disto yung ginagamit nyo?

Edited by itikbitik
Guest Leviticus
create an in house proxy server (squid) to monitor the sites they go to. And create a script that diggs the sites for keywords and automatically add to block list hehehe

linux permissions can be a bitch to mere mortals hehehe

btw anong disto yung ginagamit nyo?

sa simula I used suse 11 but it was a hassle to install it via network, via internet (kain ng bandwidth), and to install the dvd drive on each unit. I later used suse for server purposes and ubuntu (yung latest) for the desktops.

eh ang bilis ng update ng suse (11.1) just released a few days ago. openoffice 3.0 looks very enticing :rolleyes:

sa simula I used suse 11 but it was a hassle to install it via network, via internet (kain ng bandwidth), and to install the dvd drive on each unit. I later used suse for server purposes and ubuntu (yung latest) for the desktops.

eh ang bilis ng update ng suse (11.1) just released a few days ago. openoffice 3.0 looks very enticing :rolleyes:

wow using suse 11.1 in production servers agad? samin, we're still testing kung gagana yung ibang services namin eh. mostly web and wap. :D

Guest Leviticus
wow using suse 11.1 in production servers agad? samin, we're still testing kung gagana yung ibang services namin eh. mostly web and wap. :D

hehe.. hindi ko pa iniinstall ang 11.1 on server-side. may document management program kaming ginagamit which I just recently transferred from windows. ang bilis ng upgrade, after about 2 days saka lumabas ang 11.1. next year ko na lang itransfer but so far, 11 is working great.

web, ftp, samba, and chat. maybe ilagay ko ang chat server ko on the 11.1 pangtesting na rin.

open office 3 is the way to go for me microcrap office 2007 is just so cluttered

I'm sticking with CentOS for servers hehehe

musta mga linux addict. nga pala ilang araw na lang makakbili na ako ng 1tb. wehehe mababack up ko na laptop ko. then migrate sa linux ulit. para hindi nagagalaw sa office. t** minsan pag dating ko sa opis pati ung indian na cleaner pinakekelaman laptop ko. tapos ehto may virus nanaman. miss ko na si ubuntu. wehehe. papalagyan ko ng linux squid ang company namin. daming nag uubos ng oras sa pagchat. at kung ano ano. sarap iblock ang ibang application. pag nagkaoras gawin ko talaga un.

@ Leviticus

question sir, bakit ginamit nyo ung openSuSe para sa mga server side nyo? I believe meron namang SuSe Enterprise 10 sp2 na pwede namang gamitin for free tapos if your company decided to buy the product activate lang ung support. Also ung update ng Ent SuSe 10, pwede i point sa opensuse. I already tried sa office namin and it works like a charm.

@ itikbitik

Sir, how can i add DLL manually via wine? may software kasi ung company namin na ayaw gumana dahil ung DLL eh hindi makita ng wine. infragistics na DLL ung hindi makita to be exact since sa dotnet gawa ung Software. Wala kasi akong makitang guide sa net. hope you could enlighten me.

@ cruesome

thanks sa link para sa Linux Terminal project. sana magawa ko din ito sa pag tagal.