Leaning on Death's Door

I volunteer once a week at a hospice five mins away from my house. We make sure to alleviate as much pain as we can to the dying.

i have often asked myself if i would want to die that way, prepared, just waiting for death to finally claim me or would it be easier for me to just die suddenly without warning?

but then watching the patients take in thier last breaths is always an enigma, some are old and yet they are not prepared/willing to go, and yet some are young and seem at peace with the thought.

what scares us from dying is not the thought of not being allowed into heaven, but i think it's the thought of hell being real.

Edited by a_ngel

The problem is not death itself, it's:

1. When are you going to die. In the old comedy series Alf, I recall an episode where the alien Alf is surprised that humans make such a fuss about the death of a relative whereas in their planet they all die at age 180 so they have time to prepare for a big "dying-away" party.I think for us it's the fear of leaving with unsettled accounts.

2. The fear that science is right. What if we die and we really do not have a soul? Kaput. The End. Some people would want hard evidence like ghosts to believe that there is an afterlife. You'll just have to take Christ's words that happy are those that believe but do not see.

• 2 months later...

I'm not scared to die per se. As long as I die from a sudden and painless death, I'm ready. However, I would rather not die right now. There's still many things I would like to achieve for myself and my family. That's I have to make each progressive and productive. As Mohandas Ghandi said, "Live your life as if you'll die tomorrow; learn as if you'll live forever."

I think I'm not just afraid to die. I'm terrified of it. Late one night, I was lying in bed thinking that if I fall asleep, there was a possibility for me to never wake up again and I was gripped by this horrible fear. I couldn't breathe. I was so scared. I still get the feeling every so often but I try not to dwell on it too much. I think part of my fear stems from the fact I will have to go through the whole process of dying alone.

very very horrified ako sa thought of death.

ung point na ipipikit mo na ung mata mo. parang ano pagtapos?

do you wake up and you see angels and golden kingdom.. or heaven doesnt look like what everyone

tells you. o do i really sign up at the purgatory.

o endless darkness na lang afterwards?

i am not ready to die because i feel there is so much to do. yet again, in the next life, wala ka na ba talagang gagawin. as in parang tambay ka na lang?

:unsure:

Eversince my dad and my grandma died (dad died on the eve of my grandma's bday coz of "bangungot", grandma died a year after). Sobrang na trauma ako. Lalo na with the cause of my dad's death at nung nabasa ko na most of the time kung ano yung kinamatay ng tatay ay ganun din ang sasapitin ng anak (dad died at the age of 40!!!!). I don't know why, pero since this year lagi ko nang iniisap yun. I find it hard to sleep now, especially when you feel that you're about to fall asleep na. I guess I can say that somehow I am necrophobic now. Only thing that makes me forget these stuffs is when I'm too busy of thinking on other things or when I'm with my friends.

Eversince they(lola and dad) died, I started a habit of making sure to be healthy in order to live long. I quit smoking, regulated on drinking, went to the gym, played sports, all in order to get a good health. I hope this is working. Pero ewan ko ba at habang tumatagal eh lalo akong kinakabahan. I hope this fear is just a phase.... :cry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When Death comes

I shall not fear

Heart pounds like drums

Each beat, I hear

As it slows down

My vision fades

And I shall drown

In memories made

What is my life shall cease to be

All that is left's my legacy

If there is none, then so be it

I lived my life as I saw fit

Should I not be born again

Or deserve to enter heaven

I will not have any regrets

'cuz this is as good as it gets

Live in the "now"

It's all we've got

Then take a bow

Once you breathe not

Life will go on

It always does

So once you're gone

Don't make a fuss

Fear not Death

It is your friend

Don't hold your breath

It won't suspend

The moment when it's time to rest

Is well-deserved; you did your best

im not afraid to die...thats what i always think and say to myself

then i start to think what happens when i die? Will my mind just go blank? just like being in a very dark place and all you can see is black,darkness, you cant distinguish if you have your eyes closed or not.

will i continue thinking or not? will my soul remember who i am, who i was, who i cared for?

then i take back my words...but i know all my questions about death shall be answered by me....and at that point i shall never know the answers at all.

I am not afraid to die ...

"A sick man turned to his doctor,

as he was preparing to leave the examination room and said,

"Doctor, I am afraid to die.

Tell me what lies on the other side."

Very quietly, the doctor said, "I don't know."

"You don't know?

You, a Christian man, do not know what is on the other side?"

The doctor was holding the handle of the door;

on the other side came a sound of scratching and whining,

and as he opened the door,

a dog sprang into the room

and leaped on him with an eager show of gladness.

Turning to the patient, the doctor said,

"Did you notice my dog?

He's never been in this room before.

He didn't know what was inside.

He knew nothing except that his master was here,

and when the door opened, he sprang in without fear.

I know little of what is on the other side of death,

but I do know one thing...

I know my Master is there and that is enough."

• 5 months later...