Free Medical Advice

papable

tnx.

what are the external physical signs of brain hemorrhage if person has less than 10,000 platelets? does petrechia occurs first before brain hemorrhage?

less than 10,000 platelet count is extremely dangerous for a patient, and it presdisposes one to a variety of conditions detrimental to one`s health... one of these nga is brain hemorrhage or cerebrovascular accident...

Petechiae may be a sign of thrombocytopenia (low platelet count), in circumstances when platelet function is inhibited (e.g., as a side effect of medications or during certain infections), or in clotting factor deficiencies. They may also occur when excessive pressure is applied to tissue..

Sudden-onset face weakness, arm drift, and abnormal speech are the findings most likely to lead to the correct identification of a case of stroke. Similarly, when all three of these are absent, the likelihood of stroke is significantly decreased. While these findings are not perfect for diagnosing stroke, the fact that they can be evaluated relatively rapidly and easily make them very useful in the acute setting.

Proposed systems include FAST (face, arm and speech, time), the Los Angeles Prehospital Stroke Screen (LAPSS) and the Cincinnati Prehospital Stroke Scale (CPSS). Use of these scales is recommended by professional guidelines.

For people referred to the emergency room, early recognition of stroke is deemed important as this can expedite diagnostic tests and treatments. A scoring system called ROSIER (recognition of stroke in the emergency room) is recommended for this purpose; it is based on features from the medical history and physical examination.

:mtc:

Edited by peterparker
less than 10,000 platelet count is extremely dangerous for a patient, and it presdisposes one to a variety of conditions detrimental to one`s health... one of these nga is brain hemorrhage or cerebrovascular accident...

Petechiae may be a sign of thrombocytopenia (low platelet count), in circumstances when platelet function is inhibited (e.g., as a side effect of medications or during certain infections), or in clotting factor deficiencies. They may also occur when excessive pressure is applied to tissue..

Sudden-onset face weakness, arm drift, and abnormal speech are the findings most likely to lead to the correct identification of a case of stroke. Similarly, when all three of these are absent, the likelihood of stroke is significantly decreased. While these findings are not perfect for diagnosing stroke, the fact that they can be evaluated relatively rapidly and easily make them very useful in the acute setting.

Proposed systems include FAST (face, arm and speech, time), the Los Angeles Prehospital Stroke Screen (LAPSS) and the Cincinnati Prehospital Stroke Scale (CPSS). Use of these scales is recommended by professional guidelines.

For people referred to the emergency room, early recognition of stroke is deemed important as this can expedite diagnostic tests and treatments. A scoring system called ROSIER (recognition of stroke in the emergency room) is recommended for this purpose; it is based on features from the medical history and physical examination.

gracias!

i am taking of my mom who has tb. what measures could i do to avoid being infected?

TB is spread through the air from one person to another. The bacteria are put into the air when a person with active TB disease of the lungs or throat coughs, sneezes, speaks, or sings. People nearby may breathe in these bacteria and become infected. So you must be extra careful when you are around TB patients, you can wear a surgical or face mask for added protection...

TB is spread through the air from one person to another. The bacteria are put into the air when a person with active TB disease of the lungs or throat coughs, sneezes, speaks, or sings. People nearby may breathe in these bacteria and become infected. So you must be extra careful when you are around TB patients, you can wear a surgical or face mask for added protection...

gracias!

Sirs I am hoping to get back to active sport so I can get back into shape. But a persistent "pilay" keeps hindering me. It strikes when I put too much pressure on it. Standard walking is a little painful but i got used to it. but basically when I exert it feels like my knees are buckling. and it aches all the way up to my right buttock. Hilot works albeit temporarily. i tried a chiropractor but same thing. My friend says I need to go to the chiropractor more times till it gets fixed. Oh yeah as history I had upper leg break before got it supported by a titanium something they removed it after a couple of years. but did not bother me aside from taking away some range of motion from my hips. problem was year 2002 I was moving heavy cartons and was wearing cheap nike knock offs. what i did not know was the sole was worn out. I slipped with the load on. AND OUCH. I was not put out of commision but from there it kept getting worse till the way it is now.

Sirs I am hoping to get back to active sport so I can get back into shape. But a persistent "pilay" keeps hindering me. It strikes when I put too much pressure on it. Standard walking is a little painful but i got used to it. but basically when I exert it feels like my knees are buckling. and it aches all the way up to my right buttock. Hilot works albeit temporarily. i tried a chiropractor but same thing. My friend says I need to go to the chiropractor more times till it gets fixed. Oh yeah as history I had upper leg break before got it supported by a titanium something they removed it after a couple of years. but did not bother me aside from taking away some range of motion from my hips. problem was year 2002 I was moving heavy cartons and was wearing cheap nike knock offs. what i did not know was the sole was worn out. I slipped with the load on. AND OUCH. I was not put out of commision but from there it kept getting worse till the way it is now.

how old are you na bro..? from what you have described in your medical history plus the symptoms you are experiencing, i`m inclined to say that you are probably suffering from secondary osteoarthritis, particularly in the knee area...

i believe that the trauma you suffered when you slipped while carrying heavy cartons might have caused damage to your knees, and the process of degenerative arthritis started and persists to this day...

i suggest that you should consult an orthopedic surgeon for a thorough examination of your knees and hips, including other possible affected areas... ancillary procedures will include x-rays, other tests consists of MRI, arthroscopy and arthrocentesis...

with or without additional tests, diagnosis can be made by a careful study of the duration, location, the character of the joint symptoms, and the appearance of the joints themselves...

Hello Doctors,

I had my checkup with my clinic yesterday and I included urine test since Im having a clear discharge and white discharge (yesterday morning), the result showed pus cell 6-8 and RBC 0-3. the doctor said it could be UTI so they prescribed a medicine however, right now Im feeling some pain in my lower back though not intense and it does not always hurt and my bladder hurts when I apply pressure on them. also I have a slight fever 37.3c and slight chills.. I also feel weak.

Am I having kidney infection na? the medicine they gave me was ciprofloxacin 500mg, twice a day to take every morning and evening.

Hello Doctors,

I had my checkup with my clinic yesterday and I included urine test since Im having a clear discharge and white discharge (yesterday morning), the result showed pus cell 6-8 and RBC 0-3. the doctor said it could be UTI so they prescribed a medicine however, right now Im feeling some pain in my lower back though not intense and it does not always hurt and my bladder hurts when I apply pressure on them. also I have a slight fever 37.3c and slight chills.. I also feel weak.

Am I having kidney infection na? the medicine they gave me was ciprofloxacin 500mg, twice a day to take every morning and evening.

yung mga binanggit mong symptoms bro, plus yung 6-8 pus cells/hpf, mukhang ngang early UTI nga...

inumin mo for 7 days yung cipro tapos repeat urinalysis para malaman mo kung umepekto yung gamot...

yung mga binanggit mong symptoms bro, plus yung 6-8 pus cells/hpf, mukhang ngang early UTI nga...

inumin mo for 7 days yung cipro tapos repeat urinalysis para malaman mo kung umepekto yung gamot...

I was advised to go back sa doctor bukas and have another Urine test eh.. 5 tablets lang muna ang nireseta sa akin.

advice kopo ulit yung progress tomorrow.. ty pow.

anybody knows where to have a dna profile?

how much po? yung pinaka cheapest...

At NSRI in UP Diliman, the cost is as follows:

Php 5,000.00 sample collection from an individual for DNA extraction and storage for five years (no analysis)

Php 35,000.00 for a single DNA profile

Php 60,000.00 Filation test involving ONE Parent and ONE Child (simultaneous processing)

Php 60,000.00 Filiation test for TWO Parents and ONE Child (simultaneous processing).

Php 40,000.00 Filiation test for TWO Parents and ONE Child (simultaneous processing) for private purposes only

Got this info from NSRI DNA Analysis Laboratory website

MTC doctors, need your knowledge regarding tonsillectomy.

my doctor told me that i have go under tonsillectomy After repeated attacks of tonsillitis.

what do you think i should do? how much would it cost for the operation? how many days am i gonna be in the hospita?

your expertise will be highly appreciated. thanks..

MTC doctors, need your knowledge regarding tonsillectomy.

my doctor told me that i have go under tonsillectomy After repeated attacks of tonsillitis.

what do you think i should do? how much would it cost for the operation? how many days am i gonna be in the hospita?

your expertise will be highly appreciated. thanks..

here are the indications for performing a tonsillectomy..

1) recurrent infections of acute tonsillitis. The number requiring tonsillectomy varies with the severity of the episodes. One case, even severe, is generally not enough for most surgeons to decide tonsillectomy is necessary. Lee (2008) suggests the following guideline: "3 per year for 3 years, 5 per year for 2 years, 7 or more in 1 year, or greater than 2 weeks of school or work missed in 1 year".

2) chronic tonsillitis, consisting of persistent, moderate-to-severe throat pain.

3) multiple bouts of peritonsillar abscess.

4) sleep apnea (stopping or obstructing breathing at night due to enlarged tonsils or adenoids)

5) difficulty eating or swallowing due to enlarged tonsils (very unusual reason for tonsillectomy)

6) Produces tonsilloliths (tonsil stones) in the back of their mouth.

7) abnormally large tonsils with crypts (Craters or impacts in the tonsils)

if you have any of the above, i would strongly suggest that you consider having the tonsillectomy done.. in your case, the worst-case scenarios that can develop from chronic tonsillitis are rheumatic heart disease and acute glomerulonephritis, which are very serious and life-threatening conditions..

Pain following the procedure is significant and may include a hospital stay. Recovery can take from 10 up to 20 days, during which narcotic analgesics are typically prescribed. Patients are encouraged to maintain diet of liquid and very soft foods for several days following surgery. Rough textured, acidic or spicy foods may be irritating and should be avoided. Proper hydration is very important during this time, since dehydration can increase throat pain, leading to a vicious cycle of poor fluid intake.

i`m not that familiar with the price tag for a tonsillectomy, but if i`m not mistaken it could reach upwards of 30k... factor in the professional fee of the ENT surgeon and the anesthesiologist, it could be higher... having it done in a private or government hospital makes a difference din kahit papaano..

Edited by peterparker
genital warts,

not really sure if it is one though, it doesn't really look like a cauliflower.

It's just a very small flesh colored single hard lump of skin(as small as the end of a tooth pick)

it could still be genital warts. saan ba siya located? is it at the base or at the shaft or tip? better see a urologist taga-saan ka ba?

genital warts,

not really sure if it is one though, it doesn't really look like a cauliflower.

It's just a very small flesh colored single hard lump of skin(as small as the end of a tooth pick)

Pearly Penile Papules are commonly mistaken for genital warts. This is a somewhat normal occurence and harbors no serious problem for someone who has it. No treatment is needed here, just observation as it does not pose any threat of malignancy or infection. I would seek a consult of a dermatologist for this condition. They have seen a lot of these cases and can differentiate one from a diseased skin. By dermatologists, I am referring to those with adequate experience in skin diseases and not just cosmetology.

• Like (+1) 1

public service message for all MTC peeps..

Current WHO phase of pandemic alert

Current phase of alert in the WHO global influenza preparedness plan

Pandemic preparedness

In the 2009 revision of the phase descriptions, WHO has retained the use of a six-phased approach for easy incorporation of new recommendations and approaches into existing national preparedness and response plans. The grouping and description of pandemic phases have been revised to make them easier to understand, more precise, and based upon observable phenomena. Phases 1–3 correlate with preparedness, including capacity development and response planning activities, while Phases 4–6 clearly signal the need for response and mitigation efforts. Furthermore, periods after the first pandemic wave are elaborated to facilitate post pandemic recovery activities.

The current WHO phase of pandemic alert is 5.

In nature, influenza viruses circulate continuously among animals, especially birds. Even though such viruses might theoretically develop into pandemic viruses, in Phase 1 no viruses circulating among animals have been reported to cause infections in humans.

In Phase 2 an animal influenza virus circulating among domesticated or wild animals is known to have caused infection in humans, and is therefore considered a potential pandemic threat.

In Phase 3, an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus has caused sporadic cases or small clusters of disease in people, but has not resulted in human-to-human transmission sufficient to sustain community-level outbreaks. Limited human-to-human transmission may occur under some circumstances, for example, when there is close contact between an infected person and an unprotected caregiver. However, limited transmission under such restricted circumstances does not indicate that the virus has gained the level of transmissibility among humans necessary to cause a pandemic.

Phase 4 is characterized by verified human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus able to cause “community-level outbreaks.” The ability to cause sustained disease outbreaks in a community marks a significant upwards shift in the risk for a pandemic. Any country that suspects or has verified such an event should urgently consult with WHO so that the situation can be jointly assessed and a decision made by the affected country if implementation of a rapid pandemic containment operation is warranted. Phase 4 indicates a significant increase in risk of a pandemic but does not necessarily mean that a pandemic is a forgone conclusion.

Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region. While most countries will not be affected at this stage, the declaration of Phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short.

Phase 6, the pandemic phase, is characterized by community level outbreaks in at least one other country in a different WHO region in addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5. Designation of this phase will indicate that a global pandemic is under way.

During the post-peak period, pandemic disease levels in most countries with adequate surveillance will have dropped below peak observed levels. The post-peak period signifies that pandemic activity appears to be decreasing; however, it is uncertain if additional waves will occur and countries will need to be prepared for a second wave.

Previous pandemics have been characterized by waves of activity spread over months. Once the level of disease activity drops, a critical communications task will be to balance this information with the possibility of another wave. Pandemic waves can be separated by months and an immediate “at-ease” signal may be premature.

In the post-pandemic period, influenza disease activity will have returned to levels normally seen for seasonal influenza. It is expected that the pandemic virus will behave as a seasonal influenza A virus. At this stage, it is important to maintain surveillance and update pandemic preparedness and response plans accordingly. An intensive phase of recovery and evaluation may be required.

Hello po,

Any suggestions on how to remove common warts(warts sa hands)? Thank you po.. ^_^

How to Get Rid of Warts

If you are burdened by the embarrassment of a common wart on your hand, then this information will give you basic steps on how to help get rid of it. Warts are frustrating as they are difficult to treat and do not have a definite cure. But this basic knowledge and these helpful hints will allow for quicker disappearance.

Steps

Soak the wart for 10 to 15 minutes in warm salt water to moisten the skin.

Scrape off the dead skin layers, as much as can be tolerated, off the wart. Scrapers can be a nail file, pumice stone (used for calluses), mild sandpaper, or a butter knife edge. Or, use fingers to pick at the wart, removing as much of the raised dead skin as possible, but wash fingers/hands thoroughly before and after, as warts can easily spread. Soak and scrape the wart before using the following treatments, to allow better and deeper penetration of medications/treatments. Irritating warts is good, it helps your immune system start to eject it.

After scratching the surface of the wart, select a large flake of rough sea salt with a flat surface. Moisten the wart and salt slightly, applying the salt flake to wart. Put a band-aid or tape over the wart to hold salt in place. Observe the salt several days, replacing it after you shower or if it falls off.

Use salicylic acid, the ingredient of most wart removers, which is a blistering agent that aggravates warts. Any over-the-counter remedy with this is good when used as directed. Two great salicylic products for this are Compound W and Ocusal; soak the skin for 5 minutes or longer, apply the acid liberally using the brush, and let dry. Leave it for a day. You can either peel or file it off and then file remaining dead skin. If you are serious about removing the warts, do this regularly, about every 2-3 days.

Apply strips of duct tape to wart for one day, then peel tape off, which should pull off some wart layers. Do this as much as possible.

Freeze the wart with over the counter medications for this purpose. Used as directed, these are very effective.

Try to burn it off. Be very careful not to burn too much skin. Light a wooden match, blow it OUT, while the match head is still hot, touch it to the wart. This is a mild blistering effect that initiates a healing response.

Rub the banana peel on it once daily and it should disappear. It may take longer, but is cheap and you'll become healthier by eating the bananas.

Use blue-red light therapy. In cases, it has worked for acne also.

Take garlic capsules (oderless brands!) twice a day for at least several weeks. Warts should start peeling off in one, two weeks, but take the garlic until the wart disappears. Warts are caused by a virus, and garlic seems to be a natural enemy of many viruses.

Soak wart in hot water 'till it softens, scrape it down with a piece of coarse exfoliating pumice until you reach level with the skin. Take bleach on a cotton swab and hold it against the wart for 15 minutes (this may sting a bit). In most cases, that's enough but repeating this a couple times couldn't hurt. This is very quick and effective treatment but you MUST wash the area well after applying bleach.

If all else fails, stop picking the wart. This can cause the virus to spread to other fingers. Try soaking it for a bit, keeping it moisturized and ignore it.

They take a while to go away, but see your doctor if the problem persists for a long while without signs of improvement. They can provide you with immune system boosters, or burn off the wart, or both!

Drink 12 oz of tomato juice every day.

Create a preparation of curcumin extract (Comes from turmeric. Can be found at health stores.), papaya extract (Papain. It may have to be purchased in pill form and crushed into powder.), and vitamin E oil. Dab the wart and surrounding area with alcoholic extract of goldenseal, which will stimulate local immune activity. Take a sharp needle or pin, something very thin, and dip the pin into the curcumin paste. Press the needle as deep into the wart as possible, and continue injecting more of the paste into the wart, poking several holes if necessary. Spread the remaining paste over the wart area and cover with a LOT of medical tape. This is because the paste will stain things neon yellow. Curcumin is anti-viral, and papaya has been shown to fight HPV. This technique is effective against flat warts, which are found on the hand. Flat warts are notoriously stubborn and will often remain on the skin after the body has acquired resistance to the virus. This will finish the warts off in lieu of freezing.

Take a few asprins and crunch them up, adding a few drops of water. Take the mixture and put it onto the effected wart areas and then either tape them up or band aid. Leave on overnight.

Basil. Tape crushed, fresh basil to your wart using waterproof first-aid tape. Do this daily up to a week and the virus-killing compound in the basil leaf will k*ll your wart.

Castor oil. Rubbing castor oil on your wart every day will break it down, possibly because the oil keeps the wart moist, causing the tough skin to just come apart.

Tea tree oil. Dab a little on the wart and cover with a band aid.

Tips

You can apply several layers of Ocusal, but wait for the previous layer to dry first.

Some people claim that using aloe vera gel will result in it falling off in about 1-2 days.

Warnings

Do not use any of these treatments on irritated skin, on any area that is infected or reddened, on moles, on birthmarks, on warts with hair growing from them, on genital warts, on warts on the face, on warts on mucous membranes such as inside the mouth, nose, anus, genitals, or lips.

Getting warts burned off hurts.

Do not touch any warts on yourself or anyone else.

Do not share socks, shoes, razors, or towels. Just because warts are not visible, the virus may still be present.

Keep your warts covered with a bandage.

Dry off your wart after washing your hands. Warts tend to be more contagious when wet, and by drying your hands you reduce the chance of spreading the virus to someone else.

Things You'll Need

Sea salt

Wart remover

Duct tape

Garlic capsules

Banana

Edited by peterparker