PacMan's Corner

menime

non of the above, suggestion ko na lang.. for 2006 pacquiao fights easy opponents muna.. malaki din naman kita nya kahit paano.. then 2007 he makes another big fight either Chavez or Barrera.. not Morales (clearly outclased) or not Marquez (does not follow fight contract, very unprofessional) 

then 2008 if he beats Barrera (or whoever wins between chavez-barrera fight).. he retires na.. he will go in history as boxing legend like Gabriel "Flash" Elorde.. i don't know who Flash Elorde is..my lolo only tells stories.. so for this generation we have a Manny Pacquiao to tell stories  to our grandchildren in the future..

Manny should retire by 2008 as speed dwindles down as you reach 30..and the accumulation of punches might take its toll when he gets old..

There aren't really a lot of big pay days out there for Manny. There are some but not too many. I say strike while the iron is hot. If he waits too long, a lot of factors are left out of his hands and may deny him another multi-million dollar fight. For one, Barrera is getting older and is more susceptible to being upset by younger and hungrier fighters if they don't bring their A game (see Morales vs. Raheem). Morales almost lost his US$ 3M paycheck with that silly loss to Raheem in a tune-up. It was only his rep*tation that carried him to still merit a big purse. Fight fans will be a lot more discerning if that ever happens to Barrera who was also soundly beaten by Pacquiao in their first fight. It would not be as bad if Pacquiao gets laid out in a tune up unless a patsy is lined up for the killing but that's still not an assurance that you could always take to the bank (see Judah vs. Baldomir).

Pacquiao is also riding a great momentum, his confidence and his skills are at a sky hight. He should ride this crest to jump start another great fight. A lay-off and a tune-up fight may not do all the good that it is intended to do if Pacquiao is not motivated enough. He may just coast and not improve on his skills and may end up rusty for a later date with Barrera. Barrera is his next date to the dance and he shouldn't stand him up.

Morales is the next logical opponent but I seriously doubt if Morales will step into the ring with Pacquiao or if he would fight at all if we were to believe his reasoning for his two current losses. For the Raheem fiasco, he said that he was just too heavy and was too slow to fight at lightweight with all the aditional weight yet he also said that he was having a hard time making the Jr. Lightweight which leaves no othet weight division to fight in comfortably. Plus Morales will not and should not get paid more than Manny if and when they meet up for a third go around. This will probably too much for his Mexican machismo to rule out becoming a punching bag for 10+ odd rounds for the Pacman. Even with all the factors, the best fights in terms of purses for Manny is with the dos amigos. It would be a nightmare for Pacquiao if Barrera and Morales retire without giving him a repeat engagement. That's the end of the big draws in the division and the end of a glorious era with Pacquiao left holding the fort. Pacquiao will still make money fighting pretenders but not the same kind he made banging with Morales or Barrera. Unless Manny wants to claim a portion of history and lay his claim not only as the greatest Filipino boxers ever but perhaps one of the greatest featherweights of all time (which is saying a lot if you consider that the division all time greats is led by the legendary Salvador Sanchez).

But in the end, it's not only about cementing legacies, as boxing is predominantly a money game. You go where the money is and the money is on a rematch with Barrera. And that card will still hold a lot of magic in sucking in PPV viewers. And then there's the added bonus for Manny that he will still have his chance at history with the Barrera fight while taking home a fat check. A win over Barrera (currently the WBC and IBF Super-featherweight/Jr. Lightweight champion) will make him the first Asian to win world titles in three different weight classes. A fourth one may also be in the horizon if he decides to go after one of the featherweight titles to keep him in shape or take a swipe at one of the lightweight crowns when he's done dealing with the Mexicans at Jr.-Lightweight.

Thus, a Pacquiao-Barrera II seems to be the most logical fight and I am sticking to my guns that Manny will have an easier time against Barrera and win. Regardless of what pundits say. They both have brawling styles and Manny has the quicker hands, the bigger punches and the sturdier chin. He also has a couple of new tricks, the lateral movement on both the straight and the combos, playing the angles and a still developing defensive game. And even if Manny loses to Barrera, he may still come out of it richer in the topsy turvy world of boxing as promoters can milk the rivalry into a more profitable trilogy.

Pass the popcorn please. We're just getting started.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=2900

By Carlos Irusta

JORGE RODRIGO BARRIOS, the WBO super featherweight world champion, watched the Pacquiao-Morales super clash on TV, of course. And on Sunday, he took a plane to Santa Rosa, La Pampa province, to start his training for his next fight.

From La Pampa, he spoke about the victory of Manny Pacquiao over Erik Morales.

“I picked Morales to win, because in the first fight he was smarter than Pac Man, but of course, I made a mistake. Manny won clearly. Morales has made a brilliant career, but I think he is tired, he suffered a lot, he received a lot of punishment and is impossible to defeat Father Time”.

Barrios, named “The Hyena” for his tremendous laughs, said:

“Pacquiao won by his attitude in the ring. He was always demanding for in the fight, always establishing his rhythm and his desire of winning. I suppose the key word of this fight was attitude, and Pacquiao dominated the ring all the night. Of course, it was a very good fight, no doubts about that”.

We asked Barrios about his next fight.

“I think I will be fighting with the number one WBO contender, Janos Nagy. Its true, the name of Marco Antonio Barrera is in the air, but I don't think it will happen for now. The bout with Nagy could be on next March, I don’t know where. Today (Sunday-22) I am starting my workout”.

We asked what opponent he would pick to fight.

“Barrera, of course, because he has a real name in boxing is a real star, he can be the head of any boxing show. Pacquiao is a tremendous fighter, but he does not have the same big name. Of course, he defeated Barrera and Morales and is a dangerous man. But if I can choose, I would say Barrera. He is for real; he is a tremendous challenge, a real legend. I want Barrera, man, Pacquiao is nothing”.

Did anyone in the US copy the fight on pay per view? I saw the fight on our pay per view via Solar Sports and the commentators suck!

Quinito Henson and the dwarf commentator were cheerleading for Pacquiao instead of reporting the action. I'm totally for Pacman, I even bet 2T for him but I would like to hear the original HBO commentators.

^Ok. I'm revising my point of view after this comment. Bring on this clown for the Pacman. Winner take all. Loser goes home with just his welts and his ego stuffed down his throat. Let's see if his cajones are as big as his mouth. Lets have Manny take this joker's crown, even if its just a mickey mouse title, pound him in 2 rounds and relegate him to fighting undercards for women's bouts.. Let's see who's nothing.

Better yet. I hope Manny and Barrera ignore this clown so he ends up fighting for peanuts until the next cowboy comes along and takes his joke of a title.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=2900

“Barrera, of course, because he has a real name in boxing is a real star, he can be the head of any boxing show. Pacquiao is a tremendous fighter, but he does not have the same big name. Of course, he defeated Barrera and Morales and is a dangerous man. But if I can choose, I would say Barrera. He is for real; he is a tremendous challenge, a real legend. I want Barrera, man, Pacquiao is nothing”.

Bro, this wasn't in the article. :blink:

Guest Inquisitive
tsamba lang yon pac man me pangsugal na naman ang bopol ng gen san :thumbsdownsmiley:

ano next natonal hero at senator wow boksingero pwede na  :thumbsdownsmiley:

pustahan tayo next navarete yan nyaah :thumbsupsmiley:

his statement na lets unite wow politico na sya heavy :thumbsdownsmiley:

nothing personal just posting my views on our icon daw :lol:

btw yung kalaban nya gutom it means tsamba lang si pac man :thumbsdownsmiley:

bro baka si pacboy ang pulutin sa palaisdaan ng gen santos

first fight morales :thumbsupsmiley: second fight pac boy :thumbsdownsmiley:

means tabla lang si morales and pac boy ;)

Dude, are you trying to be irritating? If you are, you're doing a great job.

ENVIOUS OF OUR PACQUIAO!!

Reyes a Glass to Manny Pacquiao

Tom Thompson

01/23/2006 - Near New Orleans

Here's to you, Manny Pacquiao, the Superman super featherweight from the island nation.

You did what you told us you could do. You destroyed the heretofore indestructible Erik Morales. You told us that using Reyes gloves would make a difference. While the Mexican warrior dismissed your gloves issue before the contest, surely his shattered nose is a black-eye witness as to what you can do with your horse hair covered left fist now.

There is nothing like Manny Pacquiao in all of professional sports.

Yes, Erik Morales is a national hero in his native Mexico. But he has company in Marco Antonio Barrera and Julio Cesar Chavez and others.

Ricky Hatton is the pride of Manchester, UK, Cory Spinks can fill up the arena in St. Louis and Joe Mesi is again the "third franchise" in Buffalo. But who compares to Manny Pacquiao and his relationship with the Filipino people?

Here in America, you could combine Lance Armstrong, Peyton Manning, LeBron James, Tom Cruise, Bruce Springsteen and 50 Cent into one person and you still wouldn't have what the Philippines have in their number one all-time super-star Manny Pacquiao.

He's that important to his people.

His nation stood still- literally- for "The Battle." Politicians, clergy, elites, commoners and criminals alike took a long pause to witness their idol face down the man who had defeated him less than a year ago. They traveled to Vegas in the thousands and those who stayed home watched it on television or listened to it on the radio.

Manny is their Super Bowl, World Series, Final Four and World Cup. He's that big- all 130 lbs of him.

Consider some of the press reports coming out of his country…

It was predicted that the crime rate would fall dramatically in the hours leading up to the fight, during and after as everyone would be glued to their televisions.

In the week leading up to the bout, there was some concern by high-ranking government officials that terrorists in the nation may take advantage of the fact that everyone in the country would be totally distracted by what was going on in Las Vegas.

Clergy and politicians called for a national day of prayer for their idol as he faced Erik the Great.

To call this an event for all of the Philippines seems like an understatement.

After his superb victory, while being interviewed by HBO's Larry Merchant, Pacquiao thanked his compatriots and his president for their love and support. As he spoke, there was no doubt that the entire nation and President Arroyo were watching, listening and celebrating.

As an American, I find myself somewhat envious of what the people of the Philippines have. We have nothing close to what they share with Manny Pacquiao.

Not long ago we had our Michael Jordan. Millions of Americans wanted to be like Mike. Then again, millions of Americans couldn't have cared less. It didn't come close to what Manny means to the Philippines.

Twenty-five years ago a man named Sugar Ray Leonard transcended the sport and became a larger celebrity, but I'm not sure I can accurately call him a "national hero."

No, we've never had a Manny Pacquiao of our own.

On the big stage of boxing, nothing is more enjoyable than watching a national hero perform in front of his boisterous and proud hometown crowd. I'll take a Hatton fight in Manchester or a Mesi fight in Buffalo any time. And on neutral turf, there is nothing more thrilling than having two national heroes clash like titans in Vegas in front of a mixed arena filled with thousands of their fellow countrymen.

So let's pass around some well-deserved kudos.

Here's to you, Freddie Roach.

You admitted taking Morales lightly in the first fight. You made the strategic adjustments with your charge. Even as you felt pressure not to do so, you closed Manny's training camp to the distractions of his legions of fans so that you could prepare him with the focus it would take for victory. You kept Manny calm early in the fight when it looked like Morales might be taking control. You produced a winner in a rematch just as dramatic as the original.

Here's to you, Shelly Finkel.

You took over a financial mess of a client when you signed on to represent Pacquiao and you straightened things out for your guy, especially with the IRS. You did the things a good manager should do. Many journalists and fans don't fully appreciate or understand the role of the manager. I do.

Hats off to Gary Shaw.

While Bob Arum and Top Rank did a fine job promoting 'The Battle," you went about the business of promoting and representing your fighter. You took care of the issues that Pacman's former promoter either failed to or didn't think were important. You got your fighter his Reyes gloves and you put him in the most comfortable suite Steve Wynn made available to you. With ace publicist Fred Sternburg on your team, you just may make Manny Pacquiao the most popular boxer in the United States soon. There are reasons why several media outlets, including this one, named you Promoter of the Year.

Congratulations to the people of the Philippines. You love and worship Manny Pacquiao and he didn't let you down. You stood by him last year even after his disappointing loss Erik Morales because you are true fans. We can all learn a lesson from you.

And finally, Reyes your glass to the Man of the Hour, the talk of the town, the beloved idol of a nation.

Enjoy your historic win, Manny. You deserve it.LINK HERE

malayo mangyari yun.. si navarette babaero na at rapist.. si manny sugarol lang.. manny is sugarol because he is a natural RISK taker.. he loves taking chances. and it pays off that is why he is a champion today..e ano.. kung si Manny nasindak sa credentials ni Barrera at di nag take chances e di wala sya ngayon sa kinalalagyan nya..

sa boxing pag naunahan ka ng takot sa kalaban wala ka na.. look at Holyfield destroying Mike Tyson.. sa lahat ng nakalaban ni Tyson si Holyfield lang ang walang katakot takot makipagsabayan ng suntok kay Tyson..

napapanood ko si Manny magbilyar dito sa Veronica....malakas talaga yang pumusta as in Php15k kada game or race to 3..mahina pa yon ha...pero i think part ito ng training nya para ikundisyon yung pagiging palaban nya…di lang naman katawan ang tinitrain diba, pati emotions din…...sa bilyar kasi as in yung makikipagpustahan ka sa mga tirador…..lakasan at tapangan ng loob ang labanan dyan….pagnaunahan ka ng kaba talo ka…..tama sinabi mo dre……kung hindi sya naging palaban, malamang natalo sya sa takot…..I'm not saying he wasn’t born with it….I believe its in his genes….but sometimes you need some push to release it.

in fairness, a lesser man would've quit in 6th rounds, yet morales still fought the pacman and i wonder how he endured another 4 rounds of torture. ahh, that great mexican pride. you still have to admire the man, the same way im proud of manny despite his defeat in their first match, enduring that headbutt but yet didn't bow and still went on to make the match end in decision.

but no offense to Morales, he should retire, that fight if anything else should tell him that he cannot take another beating like that. His name and legacy is already in the record books among the greats. PAC is still peaking and he is still developing his moves.

One day PAC will be a great boxer with the power of the most devastating featherweight ever.

Morales is fearless, he is the true epitome of Mexican pride and courage. MAB and JMM are the epitome of cheat-ass cowards and pussies.

Erik should ask Manny the number of Dra. Vicky Belo for nose repair. oucchhh, that distorted nose really hurts...

Edited by kanto-terrorist
first fight morales :thumbsupsmiley: second fight pac boy :thumbsdownsmiley:

means tabla lang si morales and pac boy ;)

first fight: close decision, accidental headbutt, wrong pair of gloves

result: questionable

second fight: morales down 2x, technical knockout, broken ribs, broken nose, 9 stitches

pacquiao, small lump under the eyes

result: outclassed

in boxing, you don't consider who wins or lose.. its how you win or how you lose.. That fight sends Morales into a very long vacation..sealing what could be the end of his legendary career.. I doubt if Morales would ever want to have a rematch.