What are your all-time favorite movies?

count me in for kurosawa's "the seven samurai"...

i first read about it in high school when i read "the book of lists"... the top ten favorite movies of the most well known actors & actresses -- almost all of the veteran actors had "seven samurai" in their top 10... some of them even had it at no. 1 -- sean connery had it at no. 1 or thereabouts (can't remember exactly). basta it was right up there with "the godfather", "gone with the wind", etc.

so 6 years later, when i was in japan i had the chance to rent it... i didn't mind that it was made in 1956, was printed in black & white... and spoken in japanese without subtitles!!! it deserves all the accolade its been receiving even half a century after it was made.

count me in for kurosawa's "the seven samurai"...

i first read about it in high school when i read "the book of lists"... the top ten favorite movies of the most well known actors & actresses --  almost all of the veteran actors had "seven samurai" in their top 10...  some of them even had it at no. 1 -- sean connery had it at no. 1 or thereabouts (can't remember exactly).  basta it was right up there with "the godfather", "gone with the wind", etc.

so 6 years later, when i was in japan i had the chance to rent it... i didn't mind that it was made in 1956, was printed in black & white... and spoken in japanese without subtitles!!!  it deserves all the accolade its been receiving even half a century after it was made.

Pare saan mas masama loob mo? Nung namatay si KYUZO

http://www.willamette.edu/~rloftus/jfilm/7kyu.jpg

or nung namatay si KIKUCHIYO

http://www.willamette.edu/~rloftus/jfilm/samuraimifune.jpg

No movie will be able to beat Flash Gordon starring Sam Jones in terms of music. This score of this movie (not soundtrack) was made by Queen! One of the greatest rock bands in history actually wrote the music for the whole movie, not just some goody-goody song for the credits.

The first of many posts in this thread.....

:P

No movie will be able to beat Flash Gordon starring Sam Jones in terms of music. This score of this movie (not soundtrack) was made by Queen! One of the greatest rock bands in history actually wrote the music for the whole movie, not just some goody-goody song for the credits.

correct me if im wrong, but didnt queen also scored the movie highlander starring christopher lambert and sean connery? if so, the score and the movie itself is much better than flash gordon - in my opinion. :)

as for seven samurai, alot of memorable scenes from that movie but yes, i agree that the death of kikuchiyo is the probably the most moving. superb performance by the cast, most notably toshiro mifune, giving life to such a complex character. one of my favorite scenes from that movie was when kambei spoke this line to his lieutenant, shichiroji, at the end of the movie:

kambei: again we are defeated, the winner are those farmers, not us

btw, anyone seen hero yet?

Comedy movies naman! Personally I love movies by Adam Sandler, the one thing that sucked was "Little Nicky" lang hehe!

Some more funny stuff were those Chris Farley ones.

As far as comedy goes, you will have to see Shaolin Soccer. Walang tatalo dito.

http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/comedy/shaolinsoccer/ShaolinCover.jpg

correct me if im wrong, but didnt queen also scored the movie highlander starring christopher lambert and sean connery? if so, the score and the movie itself is much better than flash gordon - in my opinion. :)

as for seven samurai, alot of memorable scenes from that movie but yes, i agree that the death of kikuchiyo is the probably the most moving. superb performance by the cast, most notably toshiro mifune, giving life to such a complex character. one of my favorite scenes from that movie was when kambei spoke this line to his lieutenant, shichiroji, at the end of the movie:

kambei: again we are defeated, the winner are those farmers, not us

btw, anyone seen hero yet?

Edited by Roubaix

The next preceding post was edited by mistake. Below is the actual text of my reply.

Flash is more campy than Highlander. But for entertainment, Flash is much better to watch all over again. It has all the best lines. Who can forget "Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!" Now give me a line from Highlander than can beat that sweetness.

I already have the DVD for Highlander but I can't seem to find one for Flash Gordon. :angry:

finally, a movie appreciation thread. um, ima try to make this as short as i can coz i really tend to blabber when movies come into topic.

all-time favorite movie regardless of genre: The Matrix. when i first saw this movie, i really liked it but it never occured to me that it'll be my favorite movie. it was only when the hype brought about by the internet that i realized that this movie was more complicated than i thought it was. there were so many things about the matrix that it would take a separate thread for the movie to discuss all of it. but i shall give one: neo's real name in the movie Thomas Anderson means a whole damn lot. Thomas was the apostle who doubted Jesus. and Neo doubted the matrix. Anderson translates to "son of man", who is of course Jesus. Jesus was the saviour and so was Neo. He was the one prophecized to save mankind. and NEO if u rearrange the letters becomes ONE... anyways.. there's a lot more. the wachowskis really did a lot of thinking in making this film. im ready to be jacked up for MATRIX RELOADED and MATRIX REVOLUTIONS!

and randomly:

Forrest Gump - one good funny movie

The Truman Show & Man on the Moon - im a big fan of Jim Carrey and these were really great movies. cant wait to see Bruce Almighty

American Beauty - a drama that's funny or a comedy that makes u cry

Requiem For A Dream - dont do drugs. i dont. i never have and after this movie, i never ever will.

Full Metal Jacket - they should show film this to anyone who wants to join the army

Sixth Sense, Unbreakable & Signs - M Night Shyamalan is one awesome writer/director

Devil's Advocate - and any good movie about hell. Al Pacino was in it which reminds me of:

Scent of A Woman - where is gabrielle anwar now?!

and everything that Steven Spielberg did. i know can name more but they jus wont come into mind...

favorite WEIRD movie

Memento - guys if u havent seen this movie then see it. it is unlike any movie uv ever watched. the story is told backwards

recent movies i watched which were good

Phone Booth

Life of David Gale

13 Conversations About One Thing

to the guy who said Shaolin Soccer was good, you're right. Saw that years ago. You should try finding movies starring and/or directed by Stephen Chow. He's the guy from Shaolin Soccer. He's really good. I would also suggest watching Kung Pow: Enter The Fist.

dats it for now. i surely will be back on this thread... soon

my favorites:

american history x (highly recommended)

waterboy

matrix

silence of the lambs

braveheart

terminator 2 (judgement day)

gladiator

dances with wolves

rainman

there's something about mary

the rock

ransom

close encounters of the third kind

enemy of the state

erin brockovich

green mile

pulp fiction

the godfather (1 only)

I'm a Matrix junky.... I watched it 5 times on the big screen.

Can't wait for the sequel....

I love movies that are deep in meanining and very much philosophical. Also, for movies with very good plots.

Pressured sila ngayon eh. The techniques they used in the first movie revolutionized much of the industry's special effects. They have to come up with something new to top the first film.

hey, i'm a movie addict as well...i get to watch one everyweek

there are just too many good ones but here are some i really like

english patient

american beauty

the exorcist

sixth sense

dead on arrival

kiss the girls

crouching tiger.....

heaven and earth

superman 1 and 2

jaws

interview with a vampire

howling

american adobo

on the MATRIX RELOADED effects...

the effects on the sequels wasnt entirely done to "surpass" the effects in the first movie. you see, the wachowskis are comic book fanatics and they wanted to incorporate the comic book element to the matrix. in the comics, we read and view STILL pictures and they wanted to put that into the movie, that "suspened in time" thing. well u cant have a movie with still pictures, so they had their effects people develop "bullet-time" to sort of imitate a comic book splash page.

now, if you were the wachowski, im sure u'd be really annoyed as well if you see that the effect u invented gets used by EVERYONE ELSE that it becomes "gasgas" (for lack of a better english term). it was due to the fact that "bullet-time" was pretty easy to do if u had the resources. so they decided to make a special effect so special and so hard to make that even THEY themselves wouldn't try to do it again.

i dnt knw which SFX they are pertaining to but i think it's the 100 agent smiths vs neo scene. to do that, they face-mapped the actor (damn i forgot his name. he was elrond in LOTR) in such a high resolution that they even got down to his pores. they then put his face into the 99 cgi smiths (one of the 100 smiths is the real one) and gave each one AI. the outcome... 99 CGI smiths with their own "brains" and individual movements down to the movement of each strand of HAIR and wrinkle of skin. whew. even explainin dat was hard.

anyways.. that'll be all for now. i have to sleep coz a female friend's coming over early tomorrow. said she's got a dvd of a french film she's dyin to watch. take care, fellow movie freaks! there is no spoon.

Guest fhoryou

marami eto grabe pero i'll try to list them

The Crow (1)

Terminator (all sequel)

Forrest Gump

Finding Forrester

American Beauty

Tears of the Sum

Sixth Sense

Matrix

Jurassic Park

Minority Report

Risky Business

Hustler (kahit hindi ko napanood)

Color of Money

Kiss Ball

Bad Boys (1 hindi ko pa napanood ang 2)

Lord of the Rings (all sequel)

Star WArs (all Sequel)

You Got Mail

Philadelphia

God Father

Mickey Blue Eyes

Nothing HIll

Nine Months

Boogie Nights

Lost in Space

Mission to Mars

Inner Space

The Rookie

Lilo & Stitch

grabe dami isip pa ako

Guest fhoryou

Coyote Ugly

Somewhere in Time

Superman

SpiderMan

DareDevil

Hulk

X-Men

Batman (1, 2 & 4)

Spawn

Speed (1)

Any Given Sunday

The Replacement

Replacement Killers

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Days of Thunder

Top Gun

A.I.

Pay to Forward

Die Hard

A walk to remember

Hackers

Gone in 60 Seconds

Rock

James Bond Movies (dami nito basta artista Sean Connery, Roger Moore, at yung bago cno?)

Mrs. Doubtfire

Avengers

Dami wait isip pa me