Old Metro Manila

• 1 month later...
SEEING THOSE PICTURES OF MANILA CIRCA 70S MADE MY EYES WATERY AND MISTY, GAVE ME GOOSEBUMPS, AND BROUGHT ME BACK TO ALL THOSE MEMORIES WHEN IT SEEMED LIKE METRO MANILA WAS SO CLEAN,SIMPLE, AND BEAUTIFUL.

NATANGGAL IYONG PAGIGING MANYAKIS KO SA KATAWAN WHEN I SAW THOSE PICTURES AND MADE ME WANA BE A KID AGAIN, INNOCENT AND CLEAN. NAIIYAK TULOY AKO THAT KNOW THAT I CANNOT GO BACJ TO THOSE DAYS. NAKAKA SENTI TALAGA..HAAAYYY....SARAP NG 70S WHEN U WERE A KID.

I REMEMBER THE RIZAL THEATER IN MAKATI...THE LISING BUILDING...MAKATI SUPERMARKET..THE OLD FAMOUSE GEOMTRICALLY DESIGNED RUSTANS ALONG AYALA...EDSA WITH THE ISLANDS... THE NAKAKIYAK TALAGA..IT SEEMED LIKE KAHIT MAGULO DATI, LIFE THEN WAS SO MUCH SIMPLER...

I LOVE THE PICS ALONG ROXAS BLVD. I BELIEVE EVERYONE WILL AGREE THAT THE ROXAS BLVD, LUNETA AREA GAVE SOME REALLY NOSTALGIC FEEELINGS OF THE LIFE IN THE 70S.. DATI, THAT AREA IS SO SIKAT KASI MOST EMBASSIES WERE THERE..THE GOVT WAS TRYING TO MAKE THAT AREA A COMMERCIAL AND TOURIST REGION TO COMPETE WITH MAKATI...

I share the same feeling and setiments,"bisteq." I'm so happy I found this thread. Now, I know that there's a lot of us who long for the good old days.

From another forum, from Mr Manilaman:

Just sharing. Listen to the music.

Credits to Ricky Catala who uploaded and added music on the attached old movie of Manila circa 30's which his father took while he was working for Kodak. Although there are a few cars on the road it was when the calesa (horse and buggy) was still the king. I recognized the Pasig River, Escolta, Jones Bridge, Lyric Theater, the old Dewey Blvd, San Miguel and note the houses by the walls of Intramuros. Remember these motion pictures were taken before WII.

You may also wan to checkout the film by Kawayan Productions on the Japanese bombing of Manila as told by an American internees. Enjoy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...29804&hl=en

Credits to Ricky Catala who uploaded and added music on the attached old movie of Manila circa 30's which his father took while he was working for Kodak. Although there are a few cars on the road it was when the calesa (horse and buggy) was still the king. I recognized the Pasig River, Escolta, Jones Bridge, Lyric Theater, the old Dewey Blvd, San Miguel and note the houses by the walls of Intramuros. Remember these motion pictures were taken before WII.

You may also wan to checkout the film by Kawayan Productions on the Japanese bombing of Manila as told by an American internees. Enjoy.

That video and accompanying music was beautiful and moving. Thanks for sharing this, Pareng Grapelli. The video takes us back to a Manila that is forever lost to all of us. Thanks again. :cool:

Certainly a MAJOR FIND. :thumbsupsmiley:

on that FGU Bldg. housed the REUTERS OFFICE, where as a kid i often spent time with my uncle who worked there before...thanks for the pic, pareng wb. that certainly brought back bits and pieces of days gone by. :cool:

In my case naman, after graduating from high school I took a summer job in the building right next to it. (The one with the Royal Tru-Orange sign.) This building was the old FNCB (First National City Bank) building. By the late 70s, ownership of the building transferred to a Chinese family who was friends with my uncle. I assisted the building administrator in collecting rent from tenants. :cool: I remember the administrator telling me that the building was built back in the 1920s.

The white building on the other side of the street (under the Shell sign) was the El Hogar building. Ang mga Ayala na yata ang may-ari ngayon pero my maternal grandfather once worked in that building back in the 30s and 40s.

Edited by willow_boy

Interesting article from columnist Emil Jurado of Manila Standard Today:

The Manila I knew (Part 1) Friday, March 30, 2007

Every opportunity I get, I want to shy away from commenting on politics, especially now the air poisoned by so much news on campaigning and electioneering. And this opportunity came when my son Eric gifted me with a small book entitled The Manila We Knew edited by Erlinda Enriquez Panlilio, of the well-known Enriquez and Panlilio family, with sketches and drawings by Manuel D. Baldemor.

I have read most of the articles, well-written I may add, by women who brought me down memory lane with their nostalgic reminiscing of things that can never come back. The foreword of award-winning author Cristina Pantoja Hidalgo captures the essence of the book thus:

“This little volume is a valuable contribution to the love that accumulates above every great city in the world—part social history, part myth and part love song. Manila may be sinking under the weight of problems proclaimed every day by newspaper columnists and TV commentators.

“It might be plagued by calamities, both natural and man-made. Its historical monuments might be wrecked by unthinking politicians; its walls and bridges defaced by ugly posters and graffiti; its hapless pedestrians killed by reckless drivers and ineptly constructed billboards. It will survive nonetheless, because people like the writers of this book will not give up on it. These Manileños will stand their ground. Here is their testament to the city of their affections.

The Manila We Knew, reflects the soul of the city and its environs decades ago, before and after the Japanese Occupation through essays by Henrie Santos, who wrote The Malate I Knew; Laling Lim, At the Edge of Manila alongside A Gentle City by Lourdes Montinola, daughter of the founder of Far Eastern University, Nicanor Reyes Jr.; In search of a Memory and When the Wind Cooled the Houses of San Juan by Josefina Pedrosa Manahan, daughter of the late Finance Secretary and banker Pio Pedrosa; Memories of Christmas Past by Maria Cristina Olbes; The fireflies of Kamuning and UP Beloved by Erlinda Enriquez Panlilio; Swan Song for Broadway by Millete Tanada Ocampo; Stepping into a New World by Mert Loinaz; The Trails of Fort Bonifacio by Lolita Delgado Fansler, recalling Fort William Mackinley; Trick of Treat by Anna Isabel Pamplona; Growing Up Convent by Gizela Gonzales and A Sense of Manila by Wynn Wynn Ong, a Burmese who lived in Manila with her family.

The book brought back memories because I grew up in Sampaloc, specifically on P. Campa Street, before, during and after the war, interrupted only by two years with my family’s return to Abra when my two brothers, Desi, who became Court of Appeals justice, and Willie, who was airport manager, became a US citizen taking advantage of the US War Veterans granting US citizenship to Filipino soldiers who fought in Bataan and later on as guerrillas.

Sampaloc was far from the seedy district I once knew. Recall that along P. Campa at the far end was the first legislature after the war, and residents included the Mabantas and the Franciscos. Parallel to P. Campa was Cataluña where the mansion of the Villanueva was. I recall vividly that the Mathays had a grocery (P. Austria) at the corner of P. Campa and España, and right beside it was a carinderia where I bought my 25-centavo siopao. Right across was a vacant lot where I played basketball with Pons and Mel Mathay.

During the Japanese regime, my late father brought from Abra two horses, a docar and a caretela. We rented the docar for special occasions, while he, who had to quit being a provincial supervisor of schools, was the cochero with myself as the conductor of the carriage that plied the España-Quiapo route at 10 centavos a passenger. To me, it was more of a fun than earning a living.

As a Sampaloc boy, would you believe that I was also a bootblack who roamed the streets of Lepanto, Bilibid Viejo, Legarda, Gastambide, P. Noval and the sidestreets of España? Whenever I earned enough for the day, something like P2 at 10 centavos per pair of shoes, I called it a day and went to see my favorite “vodavils” in theaters such as Capitol, Savoy and Dalisay. My favorites then were Pugo and Tugo until the Japanese jailed them for wearing timepieces on their arms and legs, a parody of how much the occupation soldiers loved wristwatches. At Capitol, my favorite was FPJ’s father, Fernando Poe Sr. At Savoy and later Strand, it had to be Gloria, Dolphy, who acted out gay roles. And who can forget the Grand Opera?

Oh yes, would you believe that I used to peddle cigarette of the local kind along the streets of P. Campa and España? And believe me, I earned as much as $20 after the war because I supplied American smokers, who were incarcerated in the University of Santo Tomas campus. It was a daily hide and seek between me and the Japanese guards of the concentration camp when they saw me inserting cigarettes between the sawali fences of the school. When I heard the guards shout kura, kura, whatever that meant, I ran as fast as my feet could carry me.

After the war, the late Senator Manny Manahan put up the “Liberty News” along Lepanto St. with the late Arsenio Lacson, with his acidic pen, as columnist.

Those were my memories of Manila. After the war, when I started studying at the Ateneo at Padre Faura (inside those microwave-hot qounset huts in the mid-’40s), I used to ride jeepneys from Sta. Mesa Heights, Quezon City, where we lived, to Quiapo and on to Padre Faura, at 25 centavos one way.

Since I had only P1 daily allowance, I used to eat my favorite maxi-siopao for lunch at 25 centavos a piece, leaving me with 50 centavos. Thus, I had 25 centavos savings every day upon reaching home. At the slightest invitation for lunch at the house of friends and classmates, I accepted, giving me more savings. I used to take my meals with my best friend, the late Ambassador Rudy Tupas who lived near the school, and joined some pals to eat at the Soliven’s abode on the corner of San Marcelino and Herran streets. Don’t forget that I am an Ilocano. Our batch at the Ateneo were the last graduates (AB ’50) at the Ateneo ruins before Loyola Heights.

During the ’50s when I started teaching at the Ateneo High School, how could I forget eating together with my fellow instructors at the UP Diliman South Dorm? I had a reason then since I knew that at South Dorm was a beauty whom I met in 1950 when I co-edited “The Mindanao Cross” with Rudy Tupas in Cotabato City. The lady, Trinidad Capistrano, was to become Mrs. Jurado in 1955. Would you believe I courted her for five years?

My co-instructors rode with me in my jeep (circa 1945) to UP. And everytime we went to eat at the South Dorm cafeteria, our eyes were focused on the South Dorm women. I loved those years when every day was an adventure. Just going to the “Little Quiapo” restaurant in UP with a date was real excitement. Oh yes, negotiating Highway 54, now Edsa, was also an adventure knowing at the time that the Huks were already at the doors of Manila.

There were of course lost opportunities in the late ’50s and ’60s, like when somebody wanted me to buy a real estate along Buendia Avenue at P200 per square meter. And would you believe that the Ayalas offered me 600 sqm at Urdaneta Village at P240 per sqm, and later on, a 1,500-sqm lot along Pasay Road at Dasmariñas Village at P460 per sqm, beside the Rene Khan mansion.

I knew that I lost opportunities, but, how could I buy with my measly P2,500 monthly salary at the time? To me, P460 per sqm was a fortune. Times have changed since a million now is next to nothing.

Hence, after reading the essays about The Manila We Knew, I could not help but become nostalgic about the city I also knew when I used to walk from P. Campa to Quezon Boulevard and then to Avenida Rizal to watch my favorite movie after the war, or on to Escolta—then the country’s financial district—to window-shop at Berg’s, Yatco’s, Soriente Santos, Alonso and other establishments reserved for the rich.

My gulay, dining in Escolta was the acme of one’s ambition. How can I forget Botica Boie where newsmen gathered? Yes, I remember those Chinese restaurants along Binondo and T. Pinpin streets, and that esquinita in Chinatown—Carvajal. Who can miss Marquina and Smart restaurants? Crystal Arcade, the first shopping mall, and Gandara?

If there’s anything that I hate, it is the changing of street names in Manila. If you are a balikbayan, you can now get lost in Manila. Which leads me to ask: Why do they have to rename streets, especially those honoring well-known politicians and city officials at that? And why did they have to demolish historic buildings and ancestral residences?

In any case, I can’t forget the Manila of my youth. Its memory will survive since there are people who will not give up on it like the writers of the book The Manila We Knew. And yours truly.

i remember:

- the luneta. sunday lunches with my grandfather, before his parkinson's took over and reduced his body to a quivering bed- ridden wreck. that was also before alzheimer's (only we didn't know it as such) stole his memory. i remember he was always well dressed, very proper, very castillian.

- early morning trips to rizal park, leaving in the dark to greet the sun and to watch the old chinese do their taichi.

- the army-navy club for breakfast, lunch, all day...and the pool! the high board which used to terrify me, only never showing the fear, and climbing and jumping off it several times in a day. the long, breath-taking drop, hitting the water, and the slow swim to the surface, heart thumping, panic barely contained...breaking the surface and laughing so hard i thought i would cry.

- the balloon vendors around the rizal monument.

-the taza de oro cafe.

- churros con chocolate at...f#&k me dead! i can't the remember the name of the restaurant, they had a branch at greenhills shopping centre.

- ah, malate! the word evokes so much memories, so many events from my teen years to adulthood. i spent so much time there before i left...

- dragon boat rowing at the ccp complex, go team stingray!

- the manila hotel...

- fort santiago...the dungeon where my great-grandfather died, along with so many others...and yet, even knowing this, i don't hate the japanese.

- the central bank museum along roxas boulevard, where i saw my first damian domingo.

- the film centre. many happy memories...one wild night pissed on tapuy, watching kidlat tahimik do a highland dance.

- poetry readings, film screenings, art exhibitions.

- mh del pilar and mabini. michael jackson of blackout and thriller, deported for being an undesirable alien...alcoholic, drug smuggler, crook, exploiter of filipina women, one hell of a nice guy.

- the girls...the women. the ones who stayed, the ones who left. the ones who forgave me, the ones who didn't. i promised them so much, and kept so little. i cheated on them all, stayed faithful to none.

- the fights, the blood, the pain.

so many memories, so much laughter, so much sorrow. and now, in my current life, in another country, as another person, the only thing i can think off is what roy batty told dekker at the end of "bladerunner"...

"all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain"

manila...from "sa may nilad". the city on the banks of the pasig river. from thousands of kilometres away... i can see you...i can feel you...i can hear you...i can f#&king smell you...

you will always be:

the noble and ever loyal city of manila

Just to share the old names of Metro Manila streets (format: Old name and current name):

Azcarraga - Claro M. Recto

Isaac Peral - United Nations Avenue

Herran - Pedro Gil

Tejeron (Makati) - J. P. Rizal

Buendia - Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenue

Pasay Road - Arnaiz Avenue

Highway 54 - Epifanio delos Santos Avenue

Fisher Avenue (Pasay) - Cuneta Avenue

Dewey Boulevard - Roxas Boulevard

Espana - Quezon Boulevard

Nichols Field - Ninoy Aquino International Airport

These are just a few. Feel free to add some more.

You forgot AVENIDA - Rizal Avenue

Pasig Blvd - Shaw Blvd

Trabajo - Manuel Delafuente

Washington - Maceda

Pepin - J. Marzan

Doña Juana Rodriguez - Broadway

Osmeña Ave - South Superhighway

Just to share the old names of Metro Manila streets (format: Old name and current name):

Azcarraga - Claro M. Recto

Isaac Peral - United Nations Avenue

Herran - Pedro Gil

Tejeron (Makati) - J. P. Rizal

Buendia - Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenue

Pasay Road - Arnaiz Avenue

Highway 54 - Epifanio delos Santos Avenue

Fisher Avenue (Pasay) - Cuneta Avenue

Dewey Boulevard - Roxas Boulevard

Espana - Quezon Boulevard

Nichols Field - Ninoy Aquino International Airport

These are just a few. Feel free to add some more.