Abortion: When Is It Not A Sin?

Abortion is a sin. Saying that it is not is like saying that a bottle of poison is safe to drink as long as the doctor says so.

Irregardless of what we think, an act of sin wil always lead to death. A slow painful death of our spirit.

When then will abortion become not a sin. Well if we avoid abortion, then that it is not a sin. For a sin is always about an act. So if it would be merely a word and yet not done or even considered of being done then abortion is not a sin.

• 7 months later...

I feel I have to play devil's advocate a little, what with all the "it depends on what you believe" nonsense being spouted here.

First off, a sin is a sin, regardless of your own personal beliefs or awareness/ignorance of the fact. I will not debate what constitutes a sin, or put a label on what's right and what's wrong: that's God's prerogative not mine. But what I will say is that your own personal sense of morality is meaningless when defining what is, or what is not, a sin. In theoligical terms a sin is an act that violates God's will. If abortion goes against God's will, then it's a sin, whether you believe it is or not.

Again, let me stress: I'm not saying that abortion is a sin. I'm merely fighting the notion that you can magically define what constitutes a sin based upon your own personal belief system. That's just ridiculous... unless of course you are God :rolleyes:

And BTW, sinning is normal. Even the pope does it. Sins can always be forgiven. That's one of the most important things the Church teaches ;)

I think the original case from the first post shows the trail of consequences of sin. From lust to adultery then the lack of love to abandonment - that takes the person to feel what she did to her husband who she had rejected. Finally the desire for abortion. Slowly but surely, her inner self is dying. It is like taking you to a point of no return. The power of sin just grew stronger and it ate up the morals of the person completely. Sin left a trail of destruction that harmed the lives of many.

Maybe we ought to call this GUILT and set it apart from sin. Once your are guilty, then you get to justify your wrong behavior. You are fast digging up your own grave - if the sin happens to be mortal like adultery is.

Religion can be a mess too and leaders may suffer from guilt as well. But the scriptures say that all sins can be forgiven, yet it is guilt that we really have to care about. Once you loss the sense of sin completely, then that makes you GUILTY.

Edited by hit05
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm a firm believer in women's rights!

A far greater sin is if you let a child live without providing his/her most basic of rights.

I'll take this with a pinch of salt. Just because someone is firm believer in whatever sort of rights, she already has the luxury to think of resorting to abortion more so on actually doing it. The most appalling logic and the most unchristian way I've ever encountered in this thread. Sorry to say.

If one does not want to commit the capital sin (in any form), then she shouldn't engage in anything that would possibly jeopardize not only her life and her spiritual being but also the innocent’s who depends in her body. Plain and simple.

FYI couples with incompatible RH factor or have faulty genes, etc, can experience multiple cases of abortion. If they try hard and fail, each of the attempt can appear as an unwanted pregnancy that escalated into abortion. Only that in this case, there is a desire for a normal pregnancy which fail to materialize and ended up in a stillborn child or a lifeless fetus.

Lesson is let us not be too hasty in condemning the sight of a still born child since there is also possibility that it happened against the will of the mother. Imagine a couple in this situation having several failures accused to mastermind the death of their children.That would be adding insult to injury.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a hypothetical question, just. If someone just so happened to be carrying the son of the devil set to bring all manner of evil to the world to the next level, would abortion still be a sin?

yes. because of thou shall not k*ll. will the canon law be applicable? i dont know. but are we humans wanting to play like 007? yes.

• 2 weeks later...
but Jesus said, “Suffer little children, and forbid them not to come unto Me,for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven.”

Whatever happens to children, God has them "covered". Spiritually speaking.

So I think Christian women (we are talking about "sin" here, so it's not far-off from being a religious subject)

should always choose to continue the pregnancy even if the outcome/future is bleak for the baby. Because

whatever happens to them in this world, God will give them justice in the afterlife.

Babies are like, "swimming in milk and chocolates in heaven", no exceptions. They are special in the eyes of God.

We should not sin thinking that we are choosing a "better fate" for them, because their (spiritual) fate is infinitely

more secure than you/ourselves. They are guaranteed salvation

- All of these (I think) only applies to Christian women

Edited by vgbond
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Syet, parang ang hirap isipin na hindi kasalanan ang pagpatay ng sanggol sa sinapupunan kahit gaano pa kahalaga ang rason mo eh.

Siguro hindi lang siya malaking kasalanan kung may kumplikasyon ang panganganak (o kahit hindi panganganak basta kumplikasyon) ng isang ina at mapupunta tayo sa sitwasyon na isa lang ang maililigtas ng doktor at kailangan nating mamili kung yung bata o yung ina ba ang bubuhayin.

abortion becomes a sin if its not reasonable. then again thats the grey area, how to define reasonable?

given an example: on your 3rd month of pregnancy, you did the OSCAR test, and results came that there is a high risk of your child having a down syndrome. Comes 4th month of pregnancy, you did another OSCAR test, and the risk is still high of your baby having a down syndrome. what are you going to do? most doctors will suggest termination.

if we will think about it, its bad to abort the baby. so we tend to:

pray

ask for miracles that your baby becomes normal

that everything is going to be good

and yes, we have faith so its going to be alright

but also think of the other side if you dont abort:

baby can have down syndrome, and if baby has it, how much can you sustain for yourself and your partner? comes the more difficult part, how much can your baby be sustained? we all grow old, we will all perish, what happens to your kid having a down syndrome and then you're gone? sustaining means not only prayers, and faith, it has actions too like money and extra hard work not only for the parents and family but also for the baby.

you may think that i'm choosing the easy way out (maybe?), i know that I myself can do this, i can take care of my kid having a down syndrome, my partner can do the same, she will and can take care of our kid, but what kills me is the after effect when me and my partner are both gone. what are the chances that he will be taken care of? that people will not hurt the baby/kid? and you know theres nothing you can do.

some people say, at least i gave the baby a chance, maybe?! but did i gave the baby a good chance? or did i just make the baby suffer more? socially, mentally and spiritually the baby is challenged everyday and there is no way of keeping it off.

so, abortion is it a sin? absolutely YES. but sometimes, we have to make the bad and worst decision, and we will regret it for the rest of our lives, but at least it affects only one or two adults. coz in reality, its not the parents alone to affect the baby.

abortion becomes a sin if its not reasonable. then again thats the grey area, how to define reasonable?

given an example: on your 3rd month of pregnancy, you did the OSCAR test, and results came that there is a high risk of your child having a down syndrome. Comes 4th month of pregnancy, you did another OSCAR test, and the risk is still high of your baby having a down syndrome. what are you going to do? most doctors will suggest termination.

if we will think about it, its bad to abort the baby. so we tend to:

pray

ask for miracles that your baby becomes normal

that everything is going to be good

and yes, we have faith so its going to be alright

but also think of the other side if you dont abort:

baby can have down syndrome, and if baby has it, how much can you sustain for yourself and your partner? comes the more difficult part, how much can your baby be sustained? we all grow old, we will all perish, what happens to your kid having a down syndrome and then you're gone? sustaining means not only prayers, and faith, it has actions too like money and extra hard work not only for the parents and family but also for the baby.

you may think that i'm choosing the easy way out (maybe?), i know that I myself can do this, i can take care of my kid having a down syndrome, my partner can do the same, she will and can take care of our kid, but what kills me is the after effect when me and my partner are both gone. what are the chances that he will be taken care of? that people will not hurt the baby/kid? and you know theres nothing you can do.

some people say, at least i gave the baby a chance, maybe?! but did i gave the baby a good chance? or did i just make the baby suffer more? socially, mentally and spiritually the baby is challenged everyday and there is no way of keeping it off.

so, abortion is it a sin? absolutely YES. but sometimes, we have to make the bad and worst decision, and we will regret it for the rest of our lives, but at least it affects only one or two adults. coz in reality, its not the parents alone to affect the baby.

I truly believe abortion is a sin but who owns the sin? Should the girl be the only guilty one in this situation?

Ex. A married man gets a teenage girl pregnant and left her immediately when he founds out. She out of fear and shame and without anyone to guide her decides to have an abortion.

Shouldn't the man be also guilty of this sin? even though he didn't know that she had an abortion?

• 5 months later...