Best way to secure important files in your computer

Best way is to have external backups. The best is nas, it's expensive, but it's worth it.

Also make sure your os and antivirus are orig (not pirated). Yung iba kahit pirated okay lang hehe. Update your antivirus frequently and scan frequently, especially when you are using a flash drive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

stated in most replies is that you can use encryption. this is the best option i think, but take note that there are some slight drawbacks when using encryption:

- it is easier done when the drives are fresh (it is easier to encrypt a clean drive than to encrypt a drive with existing data. from my experience it took me almost a day to enable bit locker for one of my unencrypted drives)

- you will have a slight or minimal performance drop since your computer has to decrypt the data before processing it (but you won't notice this unless you are working with very large files). the performance drop will be proportional to the length of the encryption key or strength of encryption.

- if you lose your keys, your disk and all the data stored will be pretty much useless to you also

another way to keep files safe (i learned this trick from my previous office mates):

- create a virtual machine which is password protected and hide the virtual machine (you may also opt to encrypt the virtual drive of the virtual machine)

- store your important files inside the virtual machine you created

- if your computer can handle it, you can install a virtual machine inside of the virtual you just created (VM-Inception? :) ) and store your precious data inside that nested virtual machine.

hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi sorry if out of topic, tanong lang po ako about cloud.. gusto ko kase maback up kyung mga files sa pc ko using cloud.. di pa ko nakatry nun.. Is it safe? and are there free cloud services?

May mga services like Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive na pwede mong gamitin for free pero may (total at per file) size limit.

• 3 weeks later...

i never use cloud services myself kasi pwede pa rin ma-compromise. I own several external HD and usb sticks to serve as my back ups. Hindi na ko bumibili ng bnew at branded na external, I just re-use my old laptop hdd then format them tapos bibilhan ko ng enclosure. Tipid pa.

Gamitin mo yung external hdd as your primary backup, as in lahat ng kelangan mo itago dun mo lang ilagay then get some usb sticks (mura na lang ngayon yan) then dun mo lagay yung mga importantent documents lang. So far I have 3 recycled hdd as my external and 4 usb sticks. Yung iba nakatago tapos meron akong isang usb drive na lagi lang nasa bag ko na parati kong dala.

Hi sorry if out of topic, tanong lang po ako about cloud.. gusto ko kase maback up kyung mga files sa pc ko using cloud.. di pa ko nakatry nun.. Is it safe? and are there free cloud services?

Cloud are safe. Basta you use a strong password and always enable 2-step verification. :) I know because i build clouds in datacenters.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mapa Windows, Mac, or Linux based OS...di safe. Even Cloud Storage.

• Encrypt your files (Maraming ways and may 1st/3rd party apps for Windows, Mac OS X or Linux for encrypting files)
  • Choose the best and secured cloud storage (Pwede pa din macompromise)
  • Back-up mo na lang sa drive mo na di pang daily driver. (Best solution so far)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If we are talking about securing everything in your drive, I would go with Whole Disk Encryption or Full Disk Encryption (FDE). Yet is usually done on a rig you are just setting up. Meaning aside from the OS, no other files you own are still present. Or you have transferred your files first before doing FDE. The reason for this is because the method in which it does this is it formats your drive and rewrites the file system in an encrypted fashion so that it can be only be accessed by someone who has the passphrase.

If you lose your passphrase, there is no recovery.

Reference: deepdot35wvmeyd5.onion

If i want to secure my files (i don't want anybody to see/open/access the file. I usually change the file type. change a video to a doc., .bat etc... it always does the trick for me.

If is a another story if i want to protect the integrity of the data. (virus/corruption/etc..). For that whatever encryption or data management you use it is always best to have a physical and cloud backup.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

best thing to do is get your computer set up the way you want it, then partition the HDD into at least 2 sections - one for the OS and another for data, and then take an image of the HDD. then if you ever get a malware you can just restore the original image and the minerware or ransomware is gone.

to block garbage, ads etc use the browser add-ons uBlock Origin and uMatrix - gives you granular control of anything running on the website

post-784169-1647.gif

• 3 years later...

Both External Drive and cloud mag back up ka atleast 2-3x per month. 

Para sa mga kahina-hinalang website at files eto puntahan mo: 

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

Para doon naman sa nakadownload ng kahina hinalang files na hindi mo alam na nakatago pala at yung extension is exe file, eto ang gagawin mo:

Open File Explorer > View Tab > Select Folder Options > Click View tab then these.

image.png.f452e7525e7df0b3fdfbf480beae11ff.png

• 2 months later...

File encryption. Mac OS does a good job here. 

I use my own personally developed  OS na I started from Unix way back in 1990s. Somehow parang intuitive yun concept nya, from a small data module nag rereprogram sya ng sarili. Parang very crude machine learning. As expected resource hungry sya, the OS is almost 1 terabyte na. Naglolock in din sa mag attempt nang hack at nagtratrace sa possible location sa satellite imaging. Pag nagunauthorized access sa USB hindi macocopy. In case mabypass nya yun may software mag attach sa USB at maghijack computer nya at magwiwipe off ng disk nya.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're looking for Custom Generator Set Controllers and or any Bespoke Power Generation Controller, with broad exposure and experienced designers and as a local leader in Automation designs, We present to you our flagship AC/DC Diesel GenSet Cobtroller made  especially for smart telecom..! But can also accommodate multitude of technical specific requirements..!

Selling GenSet Controller Diesel DC Generator Set ECU, Can be Custom Modified for AC GenSets for ₱40,000. Get it on Shopee now! https://shope.ee/9pAs186X3