Supplements - to Take or Not to Take?

whey powder isnt expensive at all- ON 100% runs at 2,500. I don't see the need to get fancy whey powder anyways. If you'd really want to go on the cheap, egg whites are your best bet. The protein in the whites have the best biological protein value. Hassle lang

sir, what do you mean by "hassle" in eating egg whites? is it bad to take it everyday? how many egg whites should be consumed in aday?

I take kasi ON's 100% Whey protein and sometimes GNC Weight Gainer. How many times in a day should i take the whey protein in my workout day? rest day? thanks

I was just wondering which whey protein supplement available in the Philippine market offers the best bang for buck.  I've noticed that those with more protein per serving also tend to have more cholesterol.  If I may err on the conservative side, I assume that this is bad cholesterol.

So, is there a whey protein supplement out there that can feed my muscles after a workout without clogging my arteries?  :unsure:  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)

From my understanding through research, the cholesterol under "%DV(daily values)" is a GOOD cholesterol...if you also look at under "fats", it is also written how much fats a certain product contain...as you may have known, some "good fats" should be a part of our diet, unless you have a high cholesterol like myself...besides, the content per serving is measured by mg(milligram) which is very minute...just my 2-cents...God Bless and Keep pumping...noah

sir, what do you mean by "hassle" in eating egg whites? is it bad to take it everyday? how many egg whites should be consumed in aday?

I take kasi ON's 100% Whey protein and sometimes GNC Weight Gainer. How many times in a day should i take the whey protein in my workout day? rest day? thanks

bro,

this is just my 2-cents...eating eggwhites ALONE is not bad for you...what's bad is eating the yolk (The yellow) due to its high content of bad cholesterol...on an average, an egg contains about 6 grams of protein...so if your goal is to get bigger or gain more mass, you should consume 1 to 1.5 grams of protein times your weight in pounds...Example: you weigh 150 lbs...so you should consume 150 to 225 grams of protein...which is about 25 to 35 egg whites...

if your goal is to gain mass....after a work out, you MUST drink a protein shake of at least 1 and a half serving to feed the damaged muscle cells...plus, it is also highly recommended to drink protein shakes between meals...or before your stomach is about to get empty or hungry... DURING OFF_DAYS or rest days, you should still drink a serving of protein shakes between meals...you want your muscle to be always being fed... this has worked for me and i think it will work for others...just my two cents...God Bless and Keep pumping....noah

bro,

this is just my 2-cents...eating eggwhites ALONE is not bad for you...what's bad is eating the yolk (The yellow)  due to its high content of bad cholesterol...on an average, an egg contains about 6 grams of protein...so if your goal is to get bigger or gain more mass, you should consume 1 to 1.5 grams of protein times your weight in pounds...Example: you weigh 150 lbs...so you should consume 150 to 225 grams of protein...which is about 25 to 35 egg whites...

if your goal is to gain mass....after a work out, you MUST drink a protein shake of at least 1 and a half serving to feed the damaged muscle cells...plus, it is also highly recommended to drink protein shakes between meals...or before your stomach is about to get empty or hungry... DURING OFF_DAYS or rest days, you should still drink a serving of protein shakes between meals...you want your muscle to be always being fed... this has worked for me and i think it will work for others...just my two cents...God Bless and Keep pumping....noah

noah,

nice input bro. i'll put into action your suggestion. but when u say "drinking a protein shake between meals and before getting hungry" does it mean it is bad to take this shake on an empty stomach or when u really feel hungry? coz i usually drink my protein shake first thing in the morning on my workout days and usually 1 shake/day only on my rest days.

so on my workout days how many scoops of ON's Whey should i be consuming?

GOAL: Gain mass and muscle

from morning

1 scoop before workout plus breakfast

1 1/2 scoops after workout

lunch

1 scoop between meals as u've suggested

merienda (kelangan ba?)

1 scoop again (between meal)

dinner

1 scoop before bedtime

this is how I imagine the routine as far as what I've learned from this thread. Is this correct noah? anyone could also add input. coz i've read it here sumwer that aside from workouts what and how we eat is also very important.

thanks..dami ko takala natututunan dito.

hassle, being the part where you have to go through cracking each egg and scooping the yolk out of each one :D tamad lang talaga ako :P

noah more or less hit it: you never let yourself go hungry; what i do is, 2 servings/day, regardless of rest/workout days; i have the vanilla one, and here's how I do it: 1 scoop, 2 bananas, half a cup instant oatmeal (uncooked), 1 tbsp skippy peanut butter, 6 ice cubes heheh. :thumbsupsmiley:

bro,

this is just my 2-cents...eating eggwhites ALONE is not bad for you...what's bad is eating the yolk (The yellow)  due to its high content of bad cholesterol...on an average, an egg contains about 6 grams of protein...so if your goal is to get bigger or gain more mass, you should consume 1 to 1.5 grams of protein times your weight in pounds...Example: you weigh 150 lbs...so you should consume 150 to 225 grams of protein...which is about 25 to 35 egg whites...

just back-read this post; so 5.5 scoops give you 126.5g of protein; I'm 140 (at 5'7 that's still light!) so that gives me roughly 90% of my daily requirement-

dont forget to account how much protein your regular food contains; I tend to eat 2 medium lean steaks everyday, so that's a lot of protein as well;

i guess the issue really here is, can you get yourself to have protein shakes that often and that much?!?

i can't, i need to get some real food :D (my banana-oatmeal-peanut butter concoction does get tiring sometimes too :sick: )

noah,

nice input bro. i'll put into action your suggestion. but when u say "drinking a protein shake between meals and before getting hungry" does it mean it is bad to take this shake on an empty stomach or when u really feel hungry? coz i usually drink my protein shake first thing in the morning on my workout days and usually 1 shake/day only on my rest days.

from morning

lunch

merienda (kelangan ba?)

dinner

1 scoop before bedtime

this is how I imagine the routine as far as what I've learned from this thread. Is this correct noah? anyone could also add input. coz i've read it here sumwer that aside from workouts what and how we eat is also very important.

hassle, being the part where you have to go through cracking each egg and scooping the yolk out of each one :D tamad lang talaga ako :P

noah more or less hit it: you never let yourself go hungry; what i do is, 2 servings/day, regardless of rest/workout days; i have the vanilla one, and here's how I do it: 1 scoop, 2 bananas, half a cup instant oatmeal (uncooked), 1 tbsp skippy peanut butter, 6 ice cubes heheh. :thumbsupsmiley:

bro,

when separating the eggwhites and the yokes, you dont have to do it when it's uncooked...what you should do is boil it first then peel off the eggwhites from the hard (cooked) yokes...it's alot easier that way and it has worked...just my 2 cents...God Bless...noah

noah,

from morning

lunch

merienda (kelangan ba?)

dinner

1 scoop before bedtime

bro,

taking it when your stomach is empty is not bad, BUT it's alot better if you take it before that point...it's just like putting gas in your car when it's empty...we don't want that...we want our muscles to have a consistent nutrients source...if we let our stomach empty, then we willl be burning fats and eventually muscles (which defeats the purpose of trying to gain mass)...assuming that you are about 150 lbs, and that ON's whey has 24 grams of protein per serving ( I checked the label), consuming 5.5 servings alone will give you 132 grams of protein which is short of about 93 grams of protein, if your goal is 225 grams (1.5 grams * 150 lbs bodyweight)...like what kwol said...you have to factor in the grams of protein from other source like your " real food/meal" of steak, tuna, chiken breast, etc...PLS REMEMBER: supplements are supplements...they are not supposed to be your primary source of protein/nutrients...

your meal schedule/discipline is not bad...however, you should have another snack between your after workout shake and your lunch...may be a tuna sandwich or chicken breast sandwich...the merienda is good provided that it's a high-protein one or some banana...the key to all the meals is high-protein but low carbs EXCEPT your BEFORE-work out meal...you need carbs for immediate energy boost...also, don't forget to factor in your metabolism...based on the sports nutrition certification i went through, they want you to eat every THREE hours if gaining mass is your goal...Good Luck and God Bless....noah

Bro,

i also strongly suggest that you should take some creatine at least one serving before your workout...also avoid supplements that will negate one another such as hydroxycut or xenadrine and protein or creatine...you should have ONLY ONE goal, either to gain mass or to get cut...u cant do both...just my 2 cents...God Bless...noah

FYI, I have just put up a temporary vitamin/supplement display case as consignment at my friend's shop in Cityland Makati Executive Tower 1 Ground Floor Unit 27...Almost all, if not all, of our products are cheaper than Cash N Carry, GNC, Health and Beyond and the other stores out there...We have protein, creatine, amino acids, weight loss products, etc...Pls PM me if you want more details...Thanks much and God Bless...noah

couple of questions and clarifications...

Are you guys serious about the protein shake thang? isn't that just a little too much? I completely agree with the egg whites though... also, too much egg whites gives you indigestion... eeyuck...

I think the best thing to do really is to give your body what it needs to absorb protein meaning 1, an easily absorbable form of protein.. 2, enough vitamns and minerals to keep your metabolic processes running so that you capacity to perform glycolysis, kreb's cycle, gluconeogenesis, etc... are at an optimum... 3, I prefer the use of vasodilators because these supplements help increase my nutrient uptake creating a very receptive and open vascular environment...

I guess genetics also play an important role... and if yer really anal, you could have a thyroxine and triiodothyronine exam done to really narrow down your route to fat burning or mass gaining success...

The thing is knowing your body is the best way to find out how to gain fat or lose mass... this means going to the doctor and having yer check up etc... after that, having a trainer is good as well because these guys will prevent the long term damages that you can possibly incur on yerself from self teaching... And the most important thing about it is really commitment and attitude... If yer the type who doesn't like to push the limits of both yer mind and ody, then yer gains will be none to minimal...

I love working out because this is one of the few things that you can do in yer life wherein the rewards are equal to the amount of effort that you exert...

oh well, enough sermon... :D

Bro,

i also strongly suggest that you should take some creatine at least one serving before your workout...also avoid supplements that will negate one another such as hydroxycut or xenadrine and protein or creatine...you should have ONLY ONE goal, either to gain mass or to get cut...u cant do both...just my 2 cents...God Bless...noah

creatine shud be taked after workouts coz most of the creatine ull take before workouts will just end up in ur pee

J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2002 Sep;42(3):320-9. Related Articles, Links

Pre-exercise oral creatine ingestion does not improve prolonged intermittent sprint exercise in humans.

Preen D, Dawson B, Goodman C, Lawrence S, Beilby J, Ching S.

Department of Human Movement and Exercise Science, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA, Australia. dpreen@mbox.com.au

BACKGROUND: This investigation determined whether pre-exercise oral Cr ingestion could enhance prolonged intermittent sprint exercise performance. METHODS: EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: a randomised, double-blind crossover design was employed. SETTING: testing was performed at the Western Australian Institute of Sport and participants were monitored and treated by both scientific and medical personnel. PARTICIPANTS: eight active, but not well-trained males with a background in multiple-sprint based sports acted as subjects for this investigation. INTERVENTIONS: subjects ingested either 15 g Cr.H2O or placebo 120 min and 60 min prior to the start of an 80-min maximal sprint cycling task (10 sets of multiple 6-sec sprints with varying active recoveries). Subjects were retested 14 days later, being required to ingest the alternate supplement and repeat the exercise test. MEASURES: performance variables (work done and peak power) were obtained throughout the exercise challenge. Muscle biopsies (vastus lateralis) were raised to a peak of 2348+/-223 micromol x l(-1) prior to the commencement of exercise after Cr ingestion. There were no significant changes in any cycling performance parameters following Cr ingestion, although blood La- was significantly lower (p<0.05) than placebo at all time points during were taken preexercise as well as immediately and 3 min post-exercise in order to determine concentrations of ATP, PCr, Cr, La- and glycogen. Venous blood was drawn prior to and on four occasions during the exercise test, and analysed for Cr, NH3+, La- and pH. RESULTS: Serum Cr concentrations exercise, and plasma NH3+ accumulation was also significantly reduced (p<0.05) in the Cr condition, but only in the second half of the 80-min exercise test. Muscle ATP and TCr levels as well as postexercise PCr replenishment were unaffected following Cr administration. CONCLUSIONS: The data suggest that although the pre-exercise ingestion of a large Cr dose was shown to have some impact on blood borne metabolites, it does not improve maximal prolonged intermittent sprint exercise performance, possibly due to an insufficient time allowed for uptake of serum Cr by skeletal muscle to occur. Therefore, this form of loading does not provide an alternative method of Cr supplementation to the traditional five-day supplementation regimes established by previous research.

Creatine Timing

Despite a relatively long and prosperous existence, there's still considerable debate about when to take creatine. In fact, as time goes by, the subject of timing seems to get even more complicated. Some people take it only after workouts, some before workouts, while others say it doesn't matter. Let's have a quick look at the reasoning behind these ideas and hopefully put this baby to bed.

Taking creatine before a workout initially makes sense, because that way we'll have the creatine readily available during training. Of course, this novice thinking doesn't hold water because it takes a while for creatine to enter the muscle cell where it can enhance performance. In fact, it's been shown that pre-workout creatine consumption has no effect over placebo (19). What's more, we know that the anticatabolic effects of creatine are more long lived and don't suddenly take effect during a workout.

More recently, the pre-workout creatine theory got a big boost from the scientific literature. Tipton and buddies (27) showed that consuming a pre-workout meal enhanced muscle protein synthesis twice as much as the same meal consumed after a workout. This enhanced nutrient delivery and subsequent uptake could, some believe, apply to pre-workout creatine as well.

Unfortunately, we're comparing apples and oranges here. Carbohydrates stimulate blood flow and amino acids stimulate protein synthesis, but creatine does neither. We've also established that the effects of creatine occur long after the workout has occurred, while those of protein and sugars are far more acute. Sadly, the theory of a pre-workout creatine advantage doesn't seem to hold water any way you look at it.

As much as we love complicated scientific theories behind our practices, the post-workout creatine logic is quite simple: workouts deplete creatine, so post-workout we fill it back up. We can also take advantage of our post-workout insulin spike to drive the creatine into our muscles.

Perhaps the most important determinant of when to take creatine is the overwhelming mass of data available from the scientific literature. We have numerous studies showing that post-workout creatine consumption is effective, while the only study for pre-workout intake showed no acute effect.

Bottom Line: We have no scientific data to support pre-workout creatine use, but also none to suggest it's harmful. I'd stick with the tried and true method until evidence to the contrary arrives.

About The Author

David Barr is a strength coach and scientist with research specialty in supplements and muscle growth. In addition to his work for NASA at the Johnson Space Center, David's research career has involved everything from the cellular basis of muscle breakdown to work on critically ill catabolic patients. He holds certifications with the NSCA as well as USA Track and Field, and can be contacted through his website: www.RaiseTheBarr.net.

Bro,

hmm...u can't get mass and get cut??? to some extent yes IF u mean being totally ripped while getting massive...

BUT with discipline, u can get huge without really sacrificing definition:

1. Take note of ur form when lifting.

2. Combine compound and isolation movements.

3. Doing cardio (HIIT)

4. Proper dieting

it's a whole different thing though if u want to accelerate ur mass gain.

ano bang (natural) food or supplement mabilis magpa-develop ng muscle? im not aspiring to be "big" basta fit lang ala nba players. ok lang ba mag rice? sabi kasi pasta is better than rice if your on a diet much heavier than bread too. totoo ba yun?  :)

I suggest for starters, you try Megamass 4000 (not DeLuxe with creatine), that is if youre trying to gain mass, and with regards to eating pasta compared to rice, for me it doesnt really matter as long as you meet the necessary protein intake a day depending on your weight, (BTW, rice and pasta are both rich in carbs not protein). So if youre trying to gain mass then try to eat more protein-rich food. :mtc:

Quick one: is taking a thermogenic (Hydrox./Xenadrine/etc) AND supplementing on [whey] protein (no creatine in the process) a bad, much less a pointless, crusade? I figured not, as skipping it altogether would be like not eating meat at all.

Your thoughts on this?