• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

About this San Franciso tiff, was Boz Scaggs around? Does he still have a winery?

Didn't see him there. I haven't followed his winery so I'm not sure. last time I saw him in the Bay Area was some years ago at the Sonoma jazz Festival. He was one of the featured acts.

I did see Tyler Florence (a celebrity chef) who was there signing wine glasses.

So that's right after the Holy Week. Let me check the schedule, and I will also try to coordinate with the two.

Re: Havana Club bought in Havana - that should be the real deal! Is that the 7 Year old? I read it's a good one.

I also didn't need to mess around with the Diplomatico. Smooth and excellent drank neat. The Diplomatico, made in Venezuela, bought in Tokyo, being drunk in Manila. Go figure. Lol

See you.

Exchanged messages with Storm. He should be coordinating with you as well.

Yup - Havana Club 7 year. Best of the one I tasted, even the reserva. Rules have now been eased here - not only can travelers returning from Cuba bring back $100 worth of rum and cigars, it's also now okay to bring in Cuban rum and cigars purchased in Europe (and I would guess in Asia as well).

Who's up for a Cuban trip? I already have one friend here wants to join me on a Cuban adventure late this year - maybe November - or early next year. We could meet up in SF, Cancun (or Miami if commercial flights are already running by then), or Havana. I can help set up a place to stay (a casa particular, basically a B&B) and a guide to help us get around and make arrangements for other cities.

Rum, cigars, history and photography! Not to mention great food!

Exchanged messages with Storm. He should be coordinating with you as well.

Yup - Havana Club 7 year. Best of the one I tasted, even the reserva. Rules have now been eased here - not only can travelers returning from Cuba bring back $100 worth of rum and cigars, it's also now okay to bring in Cuban rum and cigars purchased in Europe (and I would guess in Asia as well).

Who's up for a Cuban trip? I already have one friend here wants to join me on a Cuban adventure late this year - maybe November - or early next year. We could meet up in SF, Cancun (or Miami if commercial flights are already running by then), or Havana. I can help set up a place to stay (a casa particular, basically a B&B) and a guide to help us get around and make arrangements for other cities.

Rum, cigars, history and photography! Not to mention great food!

Wow! Havana!

That should be something! I've seen pictures of Havana and it's like it's trapped in a time warp. Great for camera buffs. I like the colors they have there, the old houses, the old automobiles - the place has character.

How about visas? I presume that a traveller has to have a stop in the States before he can go to Cuba.

Edited by bods1000

Didn't see him there. I haven't followed his winery so I'm not sure. last time I saw him in the Bay Area was some years ago at the Sonoma jazz Festival. He was one of the featured acts.

I did see Tyler Florence (a celebrity chef) who was there signing wine glasses.

Boz has got a new album and I saw him perform here a few years back. He's past 60 I presume, so with the slew of rock stars falling by the wayside this year, I guess it's the wine that's keeping him strong. Lol

Wow! Havana!

That should be something! I've seen pictures of Havana and it's like it's trapped in a time warp. Great for camera buffs. I like the colors they have there, the old houses, the old automobiles - the place has character.

How about visas? I presume that a traveller has to have a stop in the States before he can go to Cuba.

Great place for camera and car buffs. I never saw so many marble staircases in my life! Every single run down dilapidated building we went into had this gorgeous grand marble staircase.

Wonderful people, great food, cigars and rum!

You can pick up a visa at the airport in Cancun. When I went last year, I flew first to Cancun then hopped on the plane to Havana. There's a Cuba visa counter at the airport. $25 gets you a tourist visa. You may need to buy medical insurance when you get to Havana and that's $40, I think.

Isn't there a Cuban embassy in Manila? They're starting flights from Miami later this year.

Edited by agxo3

Great place for camera and car buffs. I never saw so many marble staircases in my life! Every single run down dilapidated building we went into had this gorgeous grand marble staircase.

Wonderful people, great food, cigars and rum!

You can pick up a visa at the airport in Cancun. When I went last year, I flew first to Cancun then hopped on the plane to Havana. There's a Cuba visa counter at the airport. $25 gets you a tourist visa. You may need to buy medical insurance when you get to Havana and that's $40, I think.

Isn't there a Cuban embassy in Manila? They're starting flights from Miami later this year.

I'm not sure there's a Cuban embassy here. Polish embassy nga wala dito eh. You apply at the Dutch embassy and they send your application to the Polish embassy in Malaysia.

I don't even have a US visa lol. Can the runway in Havana support big planes? Emirates will surely have a flight there because they go anywhere. I don't want to transit through the States. But anyway I've seen pictures of Havana in National Geographic and it really has character. I love old places, and simple folks for photographs.

See you!

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure there's a Cuban embassy here. Polish embassy nga wala dito eh. You apply at the Dutch embassy and they send your application to the Polish embassy in Malaysia.

I don't even have a US visa lol. Can the runway in Havana support big planes? Emirates will surely have a flight there because they go anywhere. I don't want to transit through the States. But anyway I've seen pictures of Havana in National Geographic and it really has character. I love old places, and simple folks for photographs.

See you!

You can go through Mexico or some other South American country. Lots of flights in and out of Havana. Runway supports big planes - we flew in on an Airbus A320 but I saw at least one 747 on the runway.

Most Europeans go to the east coast of Cuba where there are some fancy resorts for tourists. And there's an airport there as well. If Emirates flies to Cuba I would expect them to land there.

I have another friend who's interested in going to Cuba. October or November. I'll check into making arrangements. If you're interested, that will make 4 of us all together. A small group is more manageable. 4 or 5 will be just fine.

Thanks for taking the time with Masi and Storm while I was in Manila. Dinner was great! And the companionship was better.

Thanks, too.

November should be good. Not too hot. And not too hot here upon return. Let's see. I don't know if I can do a solo flight. Havana and adventures like that calls for winging it alone. But I'd like to soak up SOuth America, if that is the halfway point. Uruguay beckons, Buenos Aires calls. Bucket lists all.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of the topic, just a complaint: bought a Fundador Imperial in SM supermarket. when I got home I removed its plastic top cover revealing its cork plug. As usual, I used a regular corkscrewDidn't expect the cork will break into 2, disintegrate, with the lower half dropping inside the liquid. Oh yeah, could it be that all Fundador are being made by Andrew Tan's group now?