agxo3, thanks for the references.

In addition to those I mentioned above, listed below are newly arrived Napa wines that are a bit more expensive.

2005 Hunnicutt Napa Valley Zinfandel (P1850)

2004 Paul Hobbs Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (P2500)

2006 Shea Wine Cellar Pommard Clone (Pinot Noir) (P2800)

2004 Groth Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (P3000)

hi guys, pwx had been importing these wines for over a year now ;) . consolidated staglin family vineyards & saintsbury, too bad they no longer carry deloach - russian valley wines. they also have some entry level wines but i don't know the reputation, just the price - some don sebastiani & pepperwoods.

• 2 weeks later...
What wines are you guys planning to open this Christmas?

We're having prime rib, Chinese ham and honey-glazed ham as the meats for Christmas dinner.

For appetizers we have smoked salmon with mini-bagels, cream cheese, red opnions and capers; a cheese platter with aged gouda (6 mos., 1 year and 2 years), la tur (a soft-ripened cheese) and crackers; and something still TBD.

Artichokes and green beans, mashed potatoes. Rolls.

For dessert, leche flan, pie (what kind is TBD) and whatever else our guests bring.

So, I think we'll start with a nice cabernet sauvignon or bordeaux blend - perhaps an Opus One ('92?? '93??), or a Rubicon (/95 for sure!). With dinner, a charbono (2004) and/or a J Nicole's Vineyard pinot noir. Maybe both!!

For dessert, I have a suaternes, a nice late harvest suvignon blanc from Audobon, and a couple of nice port-style California wines.

Lucky I don't have to drive home!!!!

What wines are you guys planning to open this Christmas?

According to my wife, we will be having an Australian Christmas and a French New Year! :D

So, tomorrow my wife will be serving prime beef .... di ko pa alam kung anong cut at anong luto .... sana yung ribs na lang :rolleyes:

and sea bass ....

I will be serving 1996 Henschke Hill of Grace Shiraz, 2002 Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay, 2005 Shaw & Smith Sauvignon Blanc and a non-vintage Yaluma Museum Reserve Muscat :D

.... best of all, everything -- the beef, the fish and the wine (except my cheapo Shaw & Smith :P) -- is free :boo: .... courtesy of my sis-in-law and family who arrived yesterday from Sydney to spend the holidays here! :thumbsupsmiley:

Saka ko na po-problemahin ang New Year dahil sagot naman namin yon .....

...... pero ngayon pa lang, hinahaplos-haplos ko na yung pinagkatago-tago kong 1995 Krug Champagne at 1996 Chateau Lynch Mossas Bordeaux dahil panay ang tingin ng bayaw kong australiano ..... sa isip isip ko, pag yan nabuksan .... yari ka sa kin pagpunta ko ulit ng sydney sa march :lol:

We had a humbler Christmas eve meal with Jamon Merano and Umberto Cesare Liano Sangiovese & Cabernet Sauvignon. For dessert, Gunderloch Riesling Auslese with a variety of sweets.

On Christmas day, we had Catena Zapata Alamos Chardonnay with lobster, and Paul Jaboulet Crozes Hermitage 2005 with roast pig.

Post Christmas, we had angus beef steak with Reynolds Family 2001 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.

So many days of eating... Need to decompress...

we started with a NV Gosset grand rose champagne, with appetizers such as lumpia shanghai, pancit canton, etc. then had a 96 Williams Selyem Allen Vineyards Pinot Noir with roast chicken, crispy pata, ham and caldereta. then finished off with an Inniskillin Vidal oak aged ice wine with our leche flan. With coffee and yosi we had a 1971 Albala Don PX sherry.

Post-Christamas report -

the '95 Rubicon was great!!! I found some USDA Prime beef at Costco (of all places! My local butcher had none and said he didn't know where I could find any.) so roasted it in my salt/freshly grated horseradish/cracked black pepper/rosemary/thyme/garlic crust. Mmmmmmmm - what a combination!

Bottle number two for dinner was '95 BV Georges Latour cab sauv. Nice, but the Rubicon was better.

Today was my wife's birthday, so we went to a place alled Alexander's for dinner. High-end steakhouse - as in nothing but USDA Prime beef, dry aged at least 2 months, or Wagyu beef from Japan. I had a T-bone (all pound and a half of it!!!). Wife had braised short rib, daughter and boyfriend each had the "melange a trois" which was a chunk of flank stak, with a small pot of the braised short rib, with a chunk of prime rib (yes, 3 different cuts of beef, cooked 3 different ways).Talk about a beef overload! I brought my own wine, although the place is know for having some really great wines. I brought a '92 Opus One. Needed a bit of air, but once it opened up it was just superb! Black cherries and chocolate. A hint of anise and a whiff of tobacco. Candied figs lurking inthe background. Still had good fruit and the tannins had receded quite nicely. All in all, a great bottle of wine!

New Year's is coming up! What are your plans, winos?

A supplier gave us a case of Jinro wines - which turned out to be from Korea (North, South, East or West I am not interested to find out). Like George Mallory exclaiming "Because it's there!" when asked why he climbed mountains, it was with the same line of reasoning that I opened one and bravely took a gulp. It was like stepping beyond the Demarcation Line at Panmunjong. Now all I can say is that this Jinro wine is now in a position to give China's Changyu wine some very stiff competition - in terms of appearance (disconcertingly looks like colored water - a very sickly pale pink), in bouquet (reminds me of being in a drugstore) and taste (tastes much better than cough syrup).

Now if Jinro is wine, then I'm Robert Mondavi!

cheers! and Happy New Year to all!

stay away from all cough syrups, in whatever form and name!

Edited by bods1000

Natawa ako sa post mo pareng bods!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Happy new year!!!

Belated happy birthday to Mrs. Agxo!

I'm getting fat from eating too much beef, lamb, goose or duck and lechon matched with wine some of which I forgot the name (Mont Gras 2004 Cab Sauv, Mont Gras 2004 Merlot, Astica 2004 Malbec, etc.) except for the one we had last night which was a 2003 Jacob's Creek Reserve Cab Sauv. It went well with the calderetang kambing, balat ng lechon and salmon sashimi.

I will have a French man and his family as guests for tomorrow's dinner in our house. I don't know what to serve. I'll appreciate some tips.

I served assorted seafood matched with a South African Sauvignon Blanc.

Edited by storm
A supplier gave us a case of Jinro wines - which turned out to be from Korea (North, South, East or West I am not interested to find out). Like George Mallory exclaiming "Because it's there!" when asked why he climbed mountains, it was with the same line of reasoning that I opened one and bravely took a gulp. It was like stepping beyond the Demarcation Line at Panmunjong. Now all I can say is that this Jinro wine is now in a position to give China's Changyu wine some very stiff competition - in terms of appearance (disconcertingly looks like colored water - a very sickly pale pink), in bouquet (reminds me of being in a drugstore) and taste (tastes much better than cough syrup).

Great tasting report, Robert! :thumbsupsmiley:

Never knew that Jinro ventured into wine making! I thought Jinro only made "shojou" which goes down very well with kalbi.

A Korean gave me a bottle of "raspberry wine" which comes in an exquisite bottle. Never had the courage to open it --- that's why unlike Bods, I'll never climb up Mt. Everest!!!

Remind me to bring this bottle on our wine ebs.

<snipped>

Today was my wife's birthday, so we went to a place alled Alexander's for dinner. High-end steakhouse - as in nothing but USDA Prime beef, dry aged at least 2 months, or Wagyu beef from Japan.

<snipped>

Belated bday to the mizzuz!

Anyway, that's the joint in Cupertino, right? OT, but are they still claiming "Kobe" wagyu on their menus? While I'm not against simply selling wagyu from Japan, it's really off-base for them to sell it as "Kobe" seeing as how their Kagoshima-sourced wagyu isn't even in the same prefecture - much less the same island!

Belated bday to the mizzuz!

Anyway, that's the joint in Cupertino, right? OT, but are they still claiming "Kobe" wagyu on their menus? While I'm not against simply selling wagyu from Japan, it's really off-base for them to sell it as "Kobe" seeing as how their Kagoshima-sourced wagyu isn't even in the same prefecture - much less the same island!

Nah - now they call it Wagyu. At least on the menu, and what our waiter called it.

It's the Cupertino place. Another place on our list is Forbes Mill in Los Gatos. Probably some time next month when the memory of overindulgence has faded a bit.

To stay on topic - I had a bottle of XS Cab. Sauv. the other night. XS is supposedly the second label of Hess Collection. Hess puts out a really nice wine so I had high hopes for XS. Alas, it was not to be. The wine had a hint of "Bart" which is another bacteria, similar to TCA that results in corkiness. "Bart" results in a "barnyard"-y like character, similar to what you'd expect from an unrestrained pinot noir, but it's not fromt he grapes, it's from the bacteria. It was also tart and thin with a not-too-pleasing moutfeel to it. All in all, a bad experience. I won't repeat it! Oh, BTW - it was in a screw-top bottle, no less!

hi der, im quite interested in venturing myself to wine drinking but alas i do have very little or close to none knowledge about wines, i have tried some wines that are available in the market, and have found the red mostly to be quite not as tasteful (its bitter and makes me even more thirsty) as I see in their reaction on tv. Now from what i see what taste should i be expecting from a good wine? I really thought it would be a delicious and sweet drink and not a bitter and peculiar smelling.

thanks.....