amen to that!

one main problem here is that not many excellent but mid-range California wines are available here - not like the available Aussie wines here which have occupied all price ranges with excellent wines at all levels.

Like the Tamar Ridge Pinot Noir I sampled recently. Great silky tannins with good balance overall. Not a wine for aging but very good nonetheless. BTW, the Tasmania region (of which Tamar Ridge belongs to) is beginning to be a haven for superb Aussie pinots. NOt very expensive too...

Washington also offers good discoveries such as Waterbrook at friendlier prices. Notables are the Waterbrook Melange (P1200), a Merlot-Cabernet blend, the Waterbrook Chardonnay (P825) and the Sauvignon Blanc (P795).

Washington also offers good discoveries such as Waterbrook at friendlier prices. Notables are the Waterbrook Melange (P1200), a Merlot-Cabernet blend, the Waterbrook Chardonnay (P825) and the Sauvignon Blanc (P795).

Washington seems to be about where Sonoma was about 5 years ago. Still a very friendly experience. the wineries are a bit more spread out and when it's hot, it's HOT! Wines are a mixed bag -some good, some merely drinkable. Inconsistent form year to year - but they're improving. I'd say another 3-4 years and there'll be a superstar winery coming out of Washington. My money's on the eastern end - Yakima Valley and out that way. The wineries around Puget sound just don't get enough sunshine to ripen their grapes to their full potential, so much so that many of the wineries inthat area get their grapes from eastern Washington!

If you can get an Oregon pinot noir, do so! Those are developing quite nicely - the Drouhin family from Burgundy, for one, has invested in the area. In the mean time, I continue to discover more and more in my local area (California, the San Francisco Bay Area) that there's no need for me to go too far to get great wines at reasonable prices! So for now, I'll concentrate on wines from this area.......

BT - if anhy of you get the chance to get out to Taipei, and can find someone with a Costco card - see if you can find the Cameron Hughes wines. If you do, buy a bottle or three then let me know whicho one you found and I'll send you the cellar notes. More lilelhy than not, it will be a very good wine at a really decent price.

Edited by agxo3
Just wondering. . .

I noticed that most wine bottles are available with cork caps. Are you suppose to finish everything every time you open a wine bottle?

Not really. You can put the cork back on halfway, but it's recommended that you finish the bottle within 2 to 4 days, storing the bottle in the ref. As soon as you open the bottle, the wine will start reacting with air and the wine starts "changing". A few days later, you might not like the taste of the wine anymore.

Not really. You can put the cork back on halfway, but it's recommended that you finish the bottle within 2 to 4 days, storing the bottle in the ref. As soon as you open the bottle, the wine will start reacting with air and the wine starts "changing". A few days later, you might not like the taste of the wine anymore.

I'd push the cork as far in as possible - more cork in means a better seal and restricting the amount of air inthe bottle. You can also get a vaccum cap system taht lets you pump tha air out of the bottle. This supposedly helps - I've never tried it myself. The other option is an aerosol can of nitrogen (generally available here in the US under the brand name "WineSaver". You fill the bottle with nitrogen, displacing all the air in the bottle. Since nitrogen is inert, the wine has nothing toreact with and should keep.

I tend to stick with the simple method - cork in as far as possible, bottle int he fridge (even reds!). The lower temperature slows down any bacterial action and any reaction between the wine and air.

David Bruce (of the winery by the same name in Santa cruz County) used to claim that a good bottle of wine shoud last at least 4 days after being opened. I typically finish off a bottle in 2-3 days.

I'd push the cork as far in as possible - more cork in means a better seal and restricting the amount of air inthe bottle. You can also get a vaccum cap system taht lets you pump tha air out of the bottle. This supposedly helps - I've never tried it myself. The other option is an aerosol can of nitrogen (generally available here in the US under the brand name "WineSaver". You fill the bottle with nitrogen, displacing all the air in the bottle. Since nitrogen is inert, the wine has nothing toreact with and should keep.

I tend to stick with the simple method - cork in as far as possible, bottle int he fridge (even reds!). The lower temperature slows down any bacterial action and any reaction between the wine and air.

David Bruce (of the winery by the same name in Santa cruz County) used to claim that a good bottle of wine shoud last at least 4 days after being opened. I typically finish off a bottle in 2-3 days.

same here - about 3 days after opening, but I find that I still enjoy the wine even if I don't put the opened one in the fridge. Nasanay na lang siguro ako sa ganito :goatee:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Dehesa La Granja 2001 a few days back. Made of 100% Tempranillo grape, mid to deep red color with a lush scent of cherries oak mild spice and vanilla. Body, finish and tannins were elegant.

Bods, Storm, Boomouse, idunno, just to let you know that eagleyes is still in town and anyone of you looking for an impromptu eb, let me know.

I had a Dehesa La Granja 2001 a few days back. Made of 100% Tempranillo grape, mid to deep red color with a lush scent of cherries oak mild spice and vanilla. Body, finish and tannins were elegant.

Bods, Storm, Boomouse, idunno, just to let you know that eagleyes is still in town and anyone of you looking for an impromptu eb, let me know.

Ok lang ako bro. I'm just a text away.

Ok lang ako bro. I'm just a text away.

I'm game. I'll PM you my cell nos. so yu can just text.

storm and i had a chance encounter yesterday and discussed the eb. apparently, storm has another exhibit in the fort area (i'll let storm send out the invites).

see you soon!!!!

I've used (and continue using) the vacuum method. Simple enough to use (specially designed stopper and a hand-pump to vacuum the air out once the stopper is in place) and quite effective in my opinion. I've had wine stay quite drinkable upwards of a week. YMMV of course depending on the initial quality of the wine.

i think it will be very close to the "strip" which is very close to your place. at any rate, pareng storm is sorting out the details and we'll hear from him.

could be that gallery there in Serendra. Forgot the name. I saw some of his works there...

just returned to drinking - been down with tonsilitis hehehe....stopped smoking and wine sure tasted different. Am still getting used to this new taste sensations....

Hello fellow winos. You're all invited to the opening of my sculpture exhibit.

November 16, Friday, 6:30 pm

Community Facility (formerly Dencio's and Par 42)

28th Street (fronting The Fort - L'Opera, Embassy, Gourdo's, Fitness First, etc.)

Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City

Exhibit runs until November 28, 2007

post-583-1194102542.jpg

Hello fellow winos. You're all invited to the opening of my sculpture exhibit.

November 16, Friday, 6:30 pm

Community Facility (formerly Dencio's and Par 42)

28th Street (fronting The Fort - L'Opera, Embassy, Gourdo's, Fitness First, etc.)

Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City

Exhibit runs until November 28, 2007

hey guys, why don't we meet up here for an eb. then we decide where we can have more wines after. the closest place i can think of is barolo.