• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Marami pala tayong vegetarian dito. That's nice.

Just a little information for those who may be wondering. The term "vegetarian" isn't derived from the word "vegetables," as is commonly believed. Rather, it comes from the Latin term "vegus," which means whole, sound, fresh or lively. There are also different kinds of vegetarians.

A semi-vegetarian does not eat red meat, but may consume fish, chicken, eggs and dairy food.

A pesco-vegetarian may eat fish, eggs and dairy food, but not other animal foods.

A lacto-ovo vegetarian (like myself and some others here) does not consume animal flesh, but may eat eggs and dairy foods.

A lacto-vegetarian may eat dairy foods but not eggs or animal foods.

An ovo-vegetarian consumes eggs but not other dairy or animal foods.

A vegan refrains from all animal foods, including dairy foods and eggs.

A fruitarian eats only fruits, seeds, nuts and the like.

For those who want to know more about the moral and ethical reasons behind a vegetarian lifestyle, try to get a copy of Frances Moore Lappe's "Diet for a Small Planet." It's quite hard to find in our good old RP, but if you know anyone who has it, it's worth the read.

• 1 month later...
Guest dopleganger
Marami pala tayong vegetarian dito. That's nice.

Just a little information for those who may be wondering. The term "vegetarian" isn't derived from the word "vegetables," as is commonly believed. Rather, it comes from the Latin term "vegus," which means whole, sound, fresh or lively. There are also different kinds of vegetarians.

This is really intresting, thanks.

I like Veggie's. Okra and Broccoli are my faves.

For those who want to know more about the moral and ethical reasons behind a vegetarian lifestyle, try to get a copy of Frances Moore Lappe's "Diet for a Small Planet." It's quite hard to find in our good old RP, but if you know anyone who has it, it's worth the read.

oy, may ganyan ang erpats ko a, pero di ko pa nabasa.

tagal ko na di nakita yon... i'll look for it when i visit.

my favorite veggie is talong - torta, inihaw, prito, in a casserole with tomatoes and cheese, pakbet, kahit ano. they say talong has very little nutrients. can anybody confirm this?

aside from soy products, whats a good source of protien for vegetarians/vegans?

The problem (?) with veggies is that while they contain a lot of usable protein, they don't have complete protein. That's why nutritionists advise vegetarians to eat a variety of vegetables. There is such a thing as complementary protein. If, for instance, your diet includes both legumes (green beans, kidney beans, sitaw, tofu) and grains (rice, corn, bread), whatever amino acids are lacking in the legumes are made up for by the grains (you don't have to eat them simultaneously, though). In effect, you get complete protein, the kind you get from meat, fish, and eggs, though in smaller quantities (but the level of fat is smaller as well). An article in "Muscle and Fitness" suggests that vegans eat large quantities of whole grains with beans.

Edited by jt2003