• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Back To The 70's

Battle of the Network Stars was aired on RPN9. The first version featured team captains Gabe Kaplan (Welcome Back, Kotter) for ABC, Telly Savalas (Kojak) for CBS, and Robert Conrad (Baa Baa Black Sleep) for NBC. I remember that particular episode when Conrad felt his NBC team was getting cheated and dared ABC's Kaplan to an obstacle course race. Kaplan won handily though, embarrassing Conrad in the process.

The Battle of the Network Stars was always special to watch because I looked forward to the swimming and kayak competitions that saw the celebrities coming out in skimpy and see through swimsuits. Another favorite was the dunk-the-celebrity game where the opposing team would hurl a baseball to a target and if it hits, the celebrity will fall to a bowl of water. Celebrities like Catherine Bach (Dukes of Hazzard), Heather Locklear (TJ Hooker), Suzanne Sommers (Three's Company), and Heather Thomas (The Fall Guy) were some of those who got dunked. Similarly, ABC was always the favorite, especially when Scott Baio (Charles in Charge) was with the team. Baio was practically unbeaten in the obstacle race and once held the record for the fastest time. It was only when Mark Harmon (Flamingo Road) of NBC came in that Baio's record was severely challenged.

anybody here remember the gma 7 staion id in the 70s "where you belong"? been trying to search it on youtube.

Yup, arguably the best station jingle in Philippine history. Goes like this: "This, this is where you belong, my friend. Come along with me, and I'll share the world with you. This is where you belong, my friend. Come along, my friend. Our world is your world is where you belong. Where you belong, my friend."

Sorry to burst your bubble, but what might be considered as classic station ID jingles in our country were not really original/exclusive to our stations. These were canned materials produced by American production companies and made available for American or international stations who may wish to use them. American production companies like TM Century produced and sold these materials as-is or customized to fit the station's branding.

"Where You Belong" (for WTVQ 36 Lexington, Kentucky):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMP4VpcfdPY

"Rhythm of the City" (for 2UE 954 kHz Sydney, Australia):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHt6BFSMWws

These two memorable jingles were produced in 1979/1980.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry to burst your bubble, but what might be considered as classic station ID jingles in our country were not really original/exclusive to our stations. These were canned materials produced by American production companies and made available for American or international stations who may wish to use them. American production companies like TM Century produced and sold these materials as-is or customized to fit the station's branding.

"Where You Belong" (for WTVQ 36 Lexington, Kentucky):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMP4VpcfdPY

"Rhythm of the City" (for 2UE 954 kHz Sydney, Australia):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHt6BFSMWws

These two memorable jingles were produced in 1979/1980.

No bubble was burst, Mutt. I'm actually very familiar with production companies like JAM, TM, and others. JAM did the past jingles of KISS-FM taken from KIIS-FM Los Angeles) and ZOO 101.9 (taken from Z100 New York) while TM Century, c/o then RT station manager Mike Pedero, was tasked to do Rhythm of the City. It's not even a trade secret that GMA's "Where You Belong" jingle was penned overseas as there was no direct referral or insinuation that this was locally produced. The early 80's DWLS-FM radio jingle (The Best Music) was taken from the top Chicago radio station WLS-FM.

The opinion on GMA's "best jingle ever in PHL history" remains as there was no specific mention that this should be locally done. BBC 2 (City 2 in particular), also had its own jingle package done in the United States back in the early 80's but this pales in comparison to the WYB plug. In the same breath that RT's ROTC jingle package remains the gold standard among all radio jingles aired in the Philippines.

Thanks for the clips though. Unlike you, I'm not good in researching via the net and only base things from what I remembered while growing up...

Edited by the_sentinel

No bubble was burst, Mutt. I'm actually very familiar with production companies like JAM, TM, and others. JAM did the past jingles of KISS-FM taken from KIIS-FM Los Angeles) and ZOO 101.9 (taken from Z100 New York) while TM Century, c/o then RT station manager Mike Pedero, was tasked to do Rhythm of the City. It's not even a trade secret that GMA's "Where You Belong" jingle was penned overseas as there was no direct referral or insinuation that this was locally produced. The early 80's DWLS-FM radio jingle (The Best Music) was taken from the top Chicago radio station WLS-FM.

The opinion on GMA's "best jingle ever in PHL history" remains as there was no specific mention that this should be locally done. BBC 2 (City 2 in particular), also had its own jingle package done in the United States back in the early 80's but this pales in comparison to the WYB plug. In the same breath that RT's ROTC jingle package remains the gold standard among all radio jingles aired in the Philippines.

Thanks for the clips though. Unlike you, I'm not good in researching via the net and only base things from what I remembered while growing up...

Its good to have knowledgeable ones like you to expand on my previous input. Its also good that there are clips like these available to help old geezers like me relive those memorable jingles we grew up with.

Mike Pedero! The old RT! Yeah! :)

Edited by muttley

Battle of the Network Stars was aired on RPN9. The first version featured team captains Gabe Kaplan (Welcome Back, Kotter) for ABC, Telly Savalas (Kojak) for CBS, and Robert Conrad (Baa Baa Black Sleep) for NBC. I remember that particular episode when Conrad felt his NBC team was getting cheated and dared ABC's Kaplan to an obstacle course race. Kaplan won handily though, embarrassing Conrad in the process.

The Battle of the Network Stars was always special to watch because I looked forward to the swimming and kayak competitions that saw the celebrities coming out in skimpy and see through swimsuits. Another favorite was the dunk-the-celebrity game where the opposing team would hurl a baseball to a target and if it hits, the celebrity will fall to a bowl of water. Celebrities like Catherine Bach (Dukes of Hazzard), Heather Locklear (TJ Hooker), Suzanne Sommers (Three's Company), and Heather Thomas (The Fall Guy) were some of those who got dunked. Similarly, ABC was always the favorite, especially when Scott Baio (Charles in Charge) was with the team. Baio was practically unbeaten in the obstacle race and once held the record for the fastest time. It was only when Mark Harmon (Flamingo Road) of NBC came in that Baio's record was severely challenged.

oh yes...i still remember those sexy chics being dunked tsk tsk tsk such a nice tv program to watch. i also remember watching "gilligan's island" and "man from atlantis" (?)...the man with the webbed feet. if i'm not mistaken the latter tv show was only short-lived. and who could ever forget lynda carter of the wonder woman program. wow!!! those..... ;)

oh yes...i still remember those sexy chics being dunked tsk tsk tsk such a nice tv program to watch. i also remember watching "gilligan's island" and "man from atlantis" (?)...the man with the webbed feet. if i'm not mistaken the latter tv show was only short-lived. and who could ever forget lynda carter of the wonder woman program. wow!!! those..... ;)

Wasn't much of a fan of Gilligan's Island but I think it was aired on KBS9 back then. Just not sure.

However, what I'm sure of is Man From Atlantis starring Patrick Duffy (who later became popular in the Dallas series) and Elizabeth Montgomery being aired on IBC 13 every Monday nights at 8:30 or 9PM. If I'm not mistaken, this was aired after Piling Piling Pelikula (PPP) that was aired after the news.

IBC 13 aired more Tagalog shows back then. Their other programs included Seeing Stars with JQ every Sundays at 9PM and it wasn't uncommon to see as part of his regular guests, the likes of Carmen Soriano, Carmen Pateña, Joselito Pascual, Diomedes Maturan, Eugene Torre and the Crispa players. Also part of their program playlist were T.O.D.A.S. aired every Wednesdays at 7:30PM and Iskul Bukol also at 7:30PM on Tuesdays.

Lynda Carter's "Wonder Woman" was aired Monday night on RPN 9 though. Other canned shows aired on the network included Sunday's Six Million Dollar Man starring Lee Majors, Monday's The Bionic Woman, starring Lindsay Wagner, the short-lived Gemini Man featuring Ben Murphy and Streets of San Francisco every Saturday featuring Karl Malden and a very young Michael Douglas.

Wasn't much of a fan of Gilligan's Island but I think it was aired on KBS9 back then. Just not sure.

However, what I'm sure of is Man From Atlantis starring Patrick Duffy (who later became popular in the Dallas series) and Elizabeth Montgomery being aired on IBC 13 every Monday nights at 8:30 or 9PM. If I'm not mistaken, this was aired after Piling Piling Pelikula (PPP) that was aired after the news.

IBC 13 aired more Tagalog shows back then. Their other programs included Seeing Stars with JQ every Sundays at 9PM and it wasn't uncommon to see as part of his regular guests, the likes of Carmen Soriano, Carmen Pateña, Joselito Pascual, Diomedes Maturan, Eugene Torre and the Crispa players. Also part of their program playlist were T.O.D.A.S. aired every Wednesdays at 7:30PM and Iskul Bukol also at 7:30PM on Tuesdays.

Lynda Carter's "Wonder Woman" was aired Monday night on RPN 9 though. Other canned shows aired on the network included Sunday's Six Million Dollar Man starring Lee Majors, Monday's The Bionic Woman, starring Lindsay Wagner, the short-lived Gemini Man featuring Ben Murphy and Streets of San Francisco every Saturday featuring Karl Malden and a very young Michael Douglas.

boy!!! i admire your memory my friend. yes...how can we forget "iskul bukol" starring TVJ, miss tapia, mang tem-i, redford, tonet macho and richie...and "TODAS". if i'm not mistaken val sotto and spanky were part of this gag show.

well i used to watch seeing stars with JQ with my parents...i was more of a "discoarama" boy before. bobby ledesma and TVJ.

People would quickly know what the name/word "Chichay" connotes. A generation later, many are clueless now what that word is.

They actually do. But in reference to young star Kathryn Bernardo's character in her ABS-CBN telenovela... :)

Comedians / comediennes with one name were the norm back then. Here's a sampling:

Male: Pugo, Tugo, Tange, Cachupoy, Dolphy, Panchito, Balot, Palito, Babalu, Chiquito

Female: Chichay, Menggay, Angge, Aruray, Patsy

People would quickly know what the name/word "Chichay" connotes. A generation later, many are clueless now what that word is.

who would ever forget the star of the tv program "ginang milyonarya"...but to the teens nowadays, yes, she is got to believe's female star and mr. padilla's on and off screen partner.

just want to add to the list of male comedians with one names - bentot, tugak and pugak.

Edited by junix

I will always remember that mechanical Christmas show atop Ansons Pasay Road in Makati. We would park in the parking lot in front of Ansons in the evening and just watch it. I don't know if any of you 70s guys remember this. The area I'm describing is now a construction site.

I remember this like it was just yesterday. Makes me really nostalgic thinking about the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Its good to have knowledgeable ones like you to expand on my previous input. Its also good that there are clips like these available to help old geezers like me relive those memorable jingles we grew up with.

Mike Pedero! The old RT! Yeah! :)

How I miss those old stations. The dj's I still remember in RT were Jeremiah Johnson and Bob magoo, who was formerly with RJ, whose rockjocks I was more familiar with. Howlin Dave, Stoney Burke, Cousin Hoagy, The Mole, The Red Rooster, Double A, who else... Those were the days, when dj's knew their stuff, not like the clueless ones today.

• 4 weeks later...