• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Back To The 70's

What taxis looked like back in the 1970's

Imagine 40 years ago, the Philippines had a car manufacturing program. Today, it's non-existent. We don't produce cars, much less aircraft. Even Indonesia, which is another 3rd world nation like the Philippines, produces aircraft.

I wish the talent of the pinoy shifted from singing, beauty contests, and boxing to things that really matter. Like mass producing cars for export, aircraft manufacturing, ship building, manufacturing home appliances, etc. How I'd love to have the Philippines branded as an economic tiger like South Korea or even Taiwan.

Before long, even Vietnam may overtake us. We've been totally left in the dust by China, which was, once upon a time, one of the poorest countries in Asia. Today, it is one of the richest. It's not like China doesn't have any corruption. But they kept it at bay by instituting draconian measures on those found guilty of this crime. In the past, being convicted of corruption carried a death sentence.

Somehow, I don't see Estrada, Enrile, or Revilla facing the death sentence despite their extreme corrupt practices.

The 70's was a time when basketball took a back seat to girls. I guess this is normal for any teenager, regardless of when they were born.

But it was different back then. The girls were accompanied by a chaperone during dates. At times the chaperone was the maid of the girl!! Happened to me. Couldn't even ditch the chaperone because we rode in my date's van which was driven by her mom's driver!! Bummer talaga....

Kids today have more privacy during their dates.

Isn't there an Alemars in Glorietta 4?

During the 70s, Alemars was located in that small arcade along Ayala Avenue, beside Rizal Theater. During the early 1980s, it moved to what is now known as Glorietta 3 (back then, it was called the North Mall) right beside the first McDonald's store in Makati. I seem to recall Alemars went out of business sometime in the mid-(or late-)1980s.

During the 70s, Alemars was located in that small arcade along Ayala Avenue, beside Rizal Theater. During the early 1980s, it moved to what is now known as Glorietta 3 (back then, it was called the North Mall) right beside the first McDonald's store in Makati. I seem to recall Alemars went out of business sometime in the mid-(or late-)1980s.

I haven't heard of Alermars in decades.

Alemars Bookstore

There was an Alemars in Fiesta Carnival across RusTan's Cubao. It closed down in the mid-80s. Alemars was started by Dr. Ernesto Sibal as Centralbooks in 1945. He was a member of the board of regents of UP College of Law and ran his store as lawbook publisher and seller. It was his son, Jose A. Sibal, who inherited the bookstore and change the name to Alemars.

• 2 weeks later...

What I clearly remember about the 70's was how easy it was to park. Parking areas weren't covered and there were a lot of places one could park in the old Makati Commercial Center free of charge. I get to relive those times whenever I visit the US. Parking areas in the suburbs in the US are like what Makati parking areas used to look like in the 70's. Today Makati parking space resemble the parking spaces in large American cities such as New York City.

The once suburban Makati has become a full blown metropolis and the new suburban areas can be found in places such as Sta. Rosa, Laguna.

• 2 weeks later...